New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Let's get the kid a car first, we can call him names later.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
Joe2402923.50
      07-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Aww, sensitive much? Yes, he is in fact the very definition of obese as are those football players. It doesn't matter if you're carrying 100 extra lbs of fat or muscle, that weight is very hard on your body! The strain on your circulatory system if there is a lot of muscle is even worse. And to weigh 280 at 18, I would imagine he's got quite a lot of body fat in addition to his muscle. Football players, bodybuilders, strongmen and all the "huge mass" guys are tremendously unhealthy. Being big and strong does not mean you're healthy, it means you're powerful.

Unless you want this kid to die an early death get him to lose some weight.
I can't wait for the mods to get a hold of you.

Guess what? I'm 6-4. At age 18, I could run a sub-5-minute mile, play 5 sets of top-class-for-the-state tennis in 100-degree temps (My serve: 130 mph), play defensive midfielder on a competitive soccer team, do the 'splits' (meaning I was limber), and throw an 89-MPH fastball. I maintained that fitness level through most of my 20s.

My BMI averaged 15 percent. I weighed between 220 and 240. Yet the government classified me and countless other guys as 'obese'.

Get a clue.

Even so, it's not that I'm sensitive. It's that the one thing that pisses me off the most is people who assume based on a blanket stereotype -- and decide to proffer that assumption to others who neither want to hear it or asked to hear it.

Just leave this discussion. No one asked you.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      07-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #25
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nobody is calling him names! Jesus, it is a sad state of this country that everyone is so sensitive about a kid who is way too heavy for his size. It's for his own good that he loses weight.

What if this thread was titled "please recommend some cigarettes for a tall / big kid?" Sure he's 18 and he can smoke, and depending on how much he smokes his risk of adverse effects can be less than from the weight. But I guarantee you would have all kinds of people decrying such an "obviously" unhealthy habit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Just leave this discussion. No one asked you.
This is an open discussion on an open forum, and I am stating something that's very clearly in the kid's best interest. See my post above.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #27
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is an open discussion on an open forum, and I am stating something that's very clearly in the kid's best interest. See my post above.
The question is what car to get a big/tall kid.

The question is not how to make the big/tall kid smaller.

#CloseThread
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The question is what car to get a big/tall kid.

The question is not how to make the big/tall kid smaller.

#CloseThread
Why are you so triggered by this? Threatening me with mod action, when I not only haven't broken the rules but am giving important advice. Also, re: your post above, physical performance has NOTHING to do with how healthy you are. Elite athletes do some incredibly unhealthy stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everyone is so sensitive about a kid who is way too heavy for his size.
This is an ASSUMPTION. You don't know this for a fact. Period.

So based on my description of myself at age 18 above, would you have assumed I was not obese had you not known my weight?

Dipwad. People like you keep the human race from progressing.

I'm out. Before I get my own damn self banned for continuing to shame this narrow-minded proselytizer.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nobody is calling him names! Jesus, it is a sad state of this country that everyone is so sensitive about a kid who is way too heavy for his size. It's for his own good that he loses weight.

What if this thread was titled "please recommend some cigarettes for a tall / big kid?" Sure he's 18 and he can smoke, and depending on how much he smokes his risk of adverse effects can be less than from the weight. But I guarantee you would have all kinds of people decrying such an "obviously" unhealthy habit.
Clearly something non filtered, that's where the flavor is.

What's in this for you? I work with large people, but I don't clear my throat near the salad when we're in the company cafeteria. I eat what I eat and if they want a bowl of gravy, that's on them.

Why poke the bear? The kid's big. But you don't know him. Or the OP. Are you short, or bald, or do you have abnormally small feet? I really don't care, but you seem defensive. Maybe you just have a really clean, absurdly large pickup?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #31
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is an ASSUMPTION.
Yes, an assumption along the same lines that I predict this reply will appear in the thread after I press "submit reply". The kid weighs 280 lbs for god's sake. 6'3" is not much taller than me, and you would have to be a giant for 280 to be a healthy bodyweight. Unless he has supersized organs, a superhuman circulatory system and the joints of a great ape he is GUARANTEED to suffer a variety of negative physical consequences. Ask literally any doctor.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Clearly something non filtered, that's where the flavor is.

What's in this for you? I work with large people, but I don't clear my throat near the salad when we're in the company cafeteria. I eat what I eat and if they want a bowl of gravy, that's on them.

Why poke the bear? The kid's big. But you don't know him. Or the OP. Are you short, or bald, or do you have abnormally small feet? I really don't care, but you seem defensive. Maybe you just have a really clean, absurdly large pickup?
Right on. I always thought filters were the dumbest thing. You get less tar, but also less nicotine. So you have to smoke more, ending up with the same amount of tar per satisfaction.

Look, I'm not going up to people in real life and giving them advice unsolicited. This is an open internet forum and my opinions are as valid as anyone's. In this case way more valid because nothing I'm saying is controversial in the slightest AND it's in the public interest!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

And we all appreciate the visit, Dr Oz.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #34
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Look, if the response to my original post had been "we know he should lose weight" that would have been it. Instead some people got really mad, accused me of calling the kid names, and worst of all tried to argue it's not unhealthy to be really massive. That kind of non-thinking is doing everyone a disservice, most of all the kid who this thread is about. If you post something totally wrong, like Viffermike's claim that being way too big is actually healthy, you should expect other people to call you out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #35
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Look, if the response to my original post had been "we know he should lose weight" that would have been it. Instead some people got really mad, accused me of calling the kid names, and worst of all tried to argue it's not unhealthy to be really massive. That kind of non-thinking is doing everyone a disservice, most of all the kid who this thread is about. If you post something totally wrong, like Viffermike's claim that being way too big is actually healthy, you should expect other people to call you out.
Have you offered any car advice in here? Next you'll be blaming your lawyers for turning on you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #36
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Have you offered any car advice in here? Next you'll be blaming your lawyers for turning on you.
Of course, and I don't see the point because the odds of me getting sued for advice I offer for free on an open forum are next to zero. Even if I did it wouldn't go anywhere. In fact I'd imagine the precedent for that type of thing goes in the opposite direction of what you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #37
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Aww, sensitive much? Yes, he is in fact the very definition of obese as are those football players. It doesn't matter if you're carrying 100 extra lbs of fat or muscle, that weight is very hard on your body! The strain on your circulatory system if there is a lot of muscle is even worse. And to weigh 280 at 18, I would imagine he's got quite a lot of body fat in addition to his muscle. Football players, bodybuilders, strongmen and all the "huge mass" guys are tremendously unhealthy. Being big and strong does not mean you're healthy, it means you're powerful.

Unless you want this kid to die an early death get him to lose some weight.
All in due time. Kid is new to this whole thing of adulthood and we're taking steps to better himself and his life. Putting an out of shape kid on a bike to ride an hour to work each way in the 95F humid heat with thunderstorms on the horizon and a horrible highway just a foot away (HWY 98) would be worse for his health than getting him a vehicle and a gym membership.

Guessing you skipped that portion of health class when you went to school
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I offer advice on forums just to practice for home. I'm ignored equally at both.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #39
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
All in due time. Kid is new to this whole thing of adulthood and we're taking steps to better himself and his life. Putting an out of shape kid on a bike to ride an hour to work each way in the 95F humid heat with thunderstorms on the horizon and a horrible highway just a foot away (HWY 98) would be worse for his health than getting him a vehicle and a gym membership.

Guessing you skipped that portion of health class when you went to school
Well, I agree that my first post was not as helpful as it could have been. You are absolutely right that pushbikes are unsafe and stupid for commuting. But, for real, get him a bike in addition to a car. Or something. Gyms are the worst possible place to get a workout. Aside from the unsanitary conditions and extreme boredom most people are there for vanity not health. Real satisfying workouts happen from doing real-world hard work and moving yourself big distances under your own power.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #40
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

Quote:
Vehicle??? Get that kid a bicycle he's obese.
Regardless of your intent, this is why you come across as a judgemental a**. It's all about the delivery...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #41
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Back to cars...

My son was/is quite big. We got him a Honda CRV. It was the early generation so I don't know if they are as roomy now. Or maybe you can find an early gen with low miles.
      07-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #42
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
Regardless of your intent, this is why you come across as a judgemental a**. It's all about the delivery...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #43
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Back to cars...

My son was/is quite big. We got him a Honda CRV. It was the early generation so I don't know if they are as roomy now. Or maybe you can find an early gen with low miles.
CRVs now seem pretty big and would probably work. Not sure how big the earlier generations are, but I will look into them. I saw a few on CL the other night but passed them up. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #44
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
CRVs now seem pretty big and would probably work. Not sure how big the earlier generations are, but I will look into them. I saw a few on CL the other night but passed them up. Thanks for the input.
Just remembered a co-worker who was 6'6"+ got one of the earlier generation CRV and was comfortable in it.