New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-09-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Owning a "weekend" car and an SUV vs. owning a single all purpose vehicle

So I have been looking at getting an R8 v10 gated coupe for a while now...and I think I've found one and am getting closer to pulling the trigger, but part of me is hesitating

here's why: I wonder whether making this move will actually bring me more smiles per mile

if I get the R8, I will sell the M2 comp, and will likely get an automatic SUV of sorts that my wife can also drive (hopefully a decent driving one like a Macan or something)

The R8 will be come that special fair weather car that I will only use in the right conditions, which means I won't drive it much December through Feb. Outside of those months, I will also not drive it on rainy days or on long trips (no spare) or where I am not sure about the parking situation.

So really I won't drive it all that much. I'll probably drive the SUV as much if not more than the R8 overall.

On the other hand, if I keep the M2 comp, I will drive it all the time (I drive it in the winter) and for all purposes and enjoy all those drives.

on the issue of quantity, there is no question I will get more enjoyable driving time in the M2 than I will in the R8

but of course those drives in the R8 will be much more of an event, an amazingly visceral naturally aspirated v10 connected to a gated manual in a purpose built sports car

those drives will be more special and feed the passion better

but there are negatives that come with the R8 in terms of the experience. It is wide and low and visibility is tough which can make driving it in the city (which is where I live) a bit of a hassle. it gets unwanted attention. You have to be careful with clearance.

it's just way more high maintenance....in many ways.

something like the M2 is just easy fun. It has good visibility, it is the right size, it doesn't attract a lot of attention. It;s like just grab the keys and go and enjoy the drive.

Part of me thinks that while the idea of the R8 appeals for those amazing drives like in a commercial, the reality might be that living in a crowded city with bad traffic, those drives will be few and far between and overall I would actually be happier and enjoy more fun drives in something more simple like my M2

anyhow interested in hearing people's perspectives on this

and yeah I know the ideal scenario would be to keep the M2 comp and add the R8, but that's just not in the cards, the coolest everyday car I could hope in addition to the R8 for would be an automatic Macan...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
m630
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Sports cars are never fun in big cities, so if you dont feel u can get real enjoyment (vs stress) each time you would drive the r8, that says it all.

I will ask though, what would be the delta of the m2 vs macan cost for u? Macan isnt cheap so is it really out of the question to keep it and add the r8??? 🤔😁
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

In general I'd say it's always better to have 2 purpose built vehicles. But the R8 sounds like a hassle in your circumstance. A 911 or M8 might be more livable if you are considering alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Owner of a manual gen 1 V8 R8 and previous manual F80 M3 owner, so I can relate. I've owned my R8 for a total of 9 years so far, since new. My M3 was gone after 3.5 years. This is really all you need to know.

Driving experience of the R8 is definitely "how they used to make 'em", "the good ol' days" etc. The M3 absolutely outclasses the R8, especially the V8 in every objective metric. And yet R8 is still in my garage and M3 is gone. The manual gen 1 is such a special car. In my opinion it is in the final generation of cars that don't suck, before most of the "all new" redesigns around 2015-onward started becoming sterile as all hell in the pursuit of efficiency.

That being said, you probably won't want to drive the manual every day in my opinion. The open gate shifter is not fast, it is higher effort, and as a DD it's "fine" but your M2C is more livable given my experience with my M3. Also, the auto rev match made commuting in the M3 daily near effortless. R8 has no such feature, so it does impact the daily drive. The flywheel on R8 is very light, so the revs drop quickly and you need to shift pretty quickly ALL the time so that you don't bog every upshift (I don't use throttle between shifts).

In my opinion, you will want a boring comfortable DD so you can appreciate the R8 every time you take it out. And you will be itching to drive it every chance you can.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Last edited by ntg44; 03-01-2022 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
baege1320.50
stein_325i25051.00
Humdizzle6024.00
      03-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

People make manuals sound like such a hassle.

If you will be able to park the R8 easily in your area, do it. Also second the vote for a porsche suv.
      03-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Sports cars are never fun in big cities, so if you dont feel u can get real enjoyment (vs stress) each time you would drive the r8, that says it all.

I will ask though, what would be the delta of the m2 vs macan cost for u? Macan isnt cheap so is it really out of the question to keep it and add the r8??? 🤔😁
it's more than my wife can't drive manual and wants an SUV and we can only have 2 cars max, not 3, so...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
1 of each for sure. I have been a one of each guy for over 20 years and each winter I think I should go to one and save the garage space.....then that first spring day when you roll it out of hibernation and go for the first drive I think......naaaaaaaaaa
      03-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Owner of a manual gen 1 V8 R8 and previous manual F80 M3 owner, so I can relate. I've owned my R8 for a total of 9 years so far, since new. My M3 was gone after 3.5 years. This is really all you need to know.

Driving experience of the R8 is definitely "how they used to make 'em", "the good ol' days" etc. The M3 absolutely outclasses the R8, especially the V8 in every objective metric. And yet R8 is still in my garage and M3 is gone. The manual gen 1 is such a special car. In my opinion it is in the final generation of cars that don't suck, before most of the "all new" redesigns around 2015-onward started becoming sterile as all hell in the pursuit of efficiency.

That being said, you probably won't want to drive the manual every day in my opinion. The open gate shifter is not fast, it is higher effort, and as a DD it's "fine" but your M2C is more livable given my experience with my M3. Also, the auto rev match made commuting in the M3 daily near effortless. R8 has no such feature, so it does impact the daily drive. The flywheel on R8 is very light, so the revs drop quickly and you need to shift pretty quickly ALL the time so that you don't bog every upshift (I don't use throttle between shifts).

In my opinion, you will want a boring comfortable DD so you can appreciate the R8 every time you take it out. And you will be itching to drive it every chance you can. Considering at one point I had my truck, M3, and R8, I had both scenarios you described available to me. In the end, I dumped the M3 instead of the truck and still love the R8 every time I drive it.

Hope this helps in your decision.
spot on post, thanks!

I get that the R8 drives will be more special...but they will be more rare than the slightly less special M2 comp drives, and the rest of the time I will be driving an automatic SUV!

with the M2 comp every drive will be fun, in the other scenario, 1/3 of my drives will be VERY fun, 2/3 meh...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I am somewhat in the same boat, I could DD a Mustang or weekend a 911, my current DD, a Saab wagon, is quite handy but is costing about $2,500 a year to keep on the road between insurance and servicing etc.

Try the Stelvio for an SUV, absolute beast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
spot on post, thanks!

I get that the R8 drives will be more special...but they will be more rare than the slightly less special M2 comp drives, and the rest of the time I will be driving an automatic SUV!

with the M2 comp every drive will be fun, in the other scenario, 1/3 of my drives will be VERY fun, 2/3 meh...
Well exactly, that's the part that you need to figure out for yourself. For me, it was to dump M3 and keep R8. The M2C is very good for what it's meant for, which is how you are using it now.

I'm not necessarily trying to sway you one way or the other. I just really freaking love my R8. The M3 got me addicted to the power and torque initially but then the whole experience kind of faded with time until I sold it 3 years later. I'm sure I'm not the only R8 and M3 owner on here, but thought my experience was close enough to your scenario that it might help. R8 is definitely more of a point A to A car than the M2C, so I understand keeping the M2C point.

Maybe a 911 like others are suggesting is the answer. Personally, they're just not for me. But that doesn't mean it also wouldn't be for you

Last edited by ntg44; 03-01-2022 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      03-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #11
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well exactly, that's the part that you need to figure out for yourself. For me, it was to dump M3 and keep R8 and truck. The M2C is very good for what it's meant for, which is how you are using it now.

I'm not necessarily trying to sway you one way or the other. I just really freaking love my R8. The M3 got me addicted to the power and torque initially but then the whole experience kind of faded with time until I sold it 3 years later. I'm sure I'm not the only R8 and M3 owner on here, but thought my experience was close enough to your scenario that it might help. R8 is definitely more of a point A to A car than the M2C, so I understand keeping the M2C point.

Maybe a 911 like others are suggesting is the answer. Personally, they're just not for me. But that doesn't mean it also wouldn't be for you
yeah I've had 2 981 Cayman S' and so I've kind of experienced the porsche thing, and honestly, they were better than the M2C, but not THAT much better, but yes sometimes a 911 crosses the mind..it comes closer to the R8 in terms of experience and is almost accessible as the M2c as single all purpose...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
yeah I've had 2 981 Cayman S' and so I've kind of experienced the porsche thing, and honestly, they were better than the M2C, but not THAT much better, but yes sometimes a 911 crosses the mind..it comes closer to the R8 in terms of experience and is almost accessible as the M2c as single all purpose...
Problem is winter, both from a low ride height and depreciation factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Now granted my cars are not nearly as high end but i have my FBO 335i as a weekend car a truck for a daily and a diesel truck strictly for towing.
For awhile i did daily the 335i and i got used to it and it did not feel special or like any sort of event. When i got a truck to start driving everyday it makes the bmw feel more special and enjoyable to drive and i feel like i appreciate it more.

TLDR: 2 cars is better than 1
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
baege1320.50
      03-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I always have a specialty vehicle that I put away for the winter; it is my Z4 now, used to be my F type, SLK, before that some classic cars I owned/restored. I wouldn't dream of putting my "special" car through the DD routine or winter use and I daily drive my truck or our Range Rover

2 cents,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #15
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

yup more cars is always better. i'd rather drive an R8 once a week than any M car every day of the week. purpose built sports cars > normal car with some mods (M cars).

my fleet:
- Civic -- 80 miles every day for work. taking out recycling. etc.
- M3 -- road trips to the nearest city on weekends, grocery shopping, dinner with the gf, pretty much everything not work related.
- GT3 -- purely for fun / adrenaline. never run any errands with it. never park it around others. never in rush hour traffic.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
baege1320.50
3798j11171.50
      03-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
yup more cars is always better. i'd rather drive an R8 once a week than any M car every day of the week. purpose built sports cars > normal car with some mods (M cars).

my fleet:
- Civic -- 80 miles every day for work. taking out recycling. etc.
- M3 -- road trips to the nearest city on weekends, grocery shopping, dinner with the gf, pretty much everything not work related.
- GT3 -- purely for fun / adrenaline. never run any errands with it. never park it around others. never in rush hour traffic.
you livin the dream

if I could keep the M2C and add the R8, the R8 would be exactly what the GT3 is to you.. and the M2C would be your M3

but substitute your M3 for an automatic SUV and it changes the complexion...for me anyways
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      03-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #17
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you livin the dream

if I could keep the M2C and add the R8, the R8 would be exactly what the GT3 is to you.. and the M2C would be your M3

but substitute your M3 for an automatic SUV and it changes the complexion...for me anyways
Just curious...why is the only DD option an automatic SUV if R8 is purchased? Depending on your budget, maybe you can still have a fun DD. Maybe not M2C level, but plenty of cheaper fun cars to be had out there.

EDIT: Unless that's the compromise your wife is making you get for the R8 haha. Then never mind.
baege1320.50
      03-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #18
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

^ yeah i'm guessing the wife wants her slice of cake too. he gets the R8 and she gets a Macan. Maybe you can convince her to look at a Golf R or M240 xDrive ? The Macan isn't too bad of a drive though, they handle well enough, sound good, and PDK blows away any ZF 8speed in terms of involvment.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #19
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
^ yeah i'm guessing the wife wants her slice of cake too. he gets the R8 and she gets a Macan. Maybe you can convince her to look at a Golf R or M240 xDrive ? The Macan isn't too bad of a drive though, they handle well enough, sound good, and PDK blows away any ZF 8speed in terms of involvment.
The Macan is actually a pretty damn good car/CUV as you allude to, I think OP is focusing too much on 'automatic SUV' and implying it's gonna drive like a Tahoe.

OP--have you driven the Macan to get your impressions? Which engine would you be getting in it?
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:58 AM   #20
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just curious...why is the only DD option an automatic SUV if R8 is purchased? Depending on your budget, maybe you can still have a fun DD. Maybe not M2C level, but plenty of cheaper fun cars to be had out there.

EDIT: Unless that's the compromise your wife is making you get for the R8 haha. Then never mind.
you got it, the automatic SUV is her choice, otherwise I would go for a small fun car like a golf or mini...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:59 AM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
The Macan is actually a pretty damn good car/CUV as you allude to, I think OP is focusing too much on 'automatic SUV' and implying it's gonna drive like a Tahoe.

OP--have you driven the Macan to get your impressions? Which engine would you be getting in it?
i have driven a Macan S and it's a fun drive, but in the end still an automatic SUV...no where near as fun as even the m240ixdrive I previously had
Appreciate 0