New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

07-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #45
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #46
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

For those claiming parallels is the solution, have any of you actually used it? In a business environment anyways its a buggy piece of shit. Ive got the mac users using a program from Microsoft to connect to our terminal server, I can't think of the name right now because I set it up and never had any issues with it. Thank you Microsoft for making something non shitty for macs and guess what? It's free.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #47
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Drives: E90 335i

This argument is stupid.

If you like the Mac's get one.
If you like the Pc's get one, or two for the same price.

They both do the same thing (for 99.99999% of the people) and they both have some problems (for 99.999999% of the people)

Not everyone is a computer expert that can build/fix there PC's. Thats why macs are so popular with the college community.

Just be happy with what you get, and know what you're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
For those claiming parallels is the solution, have any of you actually used it? In a business environment anyways its a buggy piece of shit. Ive got the mac users using a program from Microsoft to connect to our terminal server, I can't think of the name right now because I set it up and never had any issues with it. Thank you Microsoft for making something non shitty for macs and guess what? It's free.

I use it everyday for 3-4 hours a day. Works fine. (its a little slow sometimes)

But for running a few programs that I have to run on it, it does its job.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #48
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
I had no idea you knew how to count, but consider me impressed. I award you one Internet.
I just thought it was interesting that you were making a point about the value of the Macbook when your own example netted a loss. You should have fudged the numbers better. IMO of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #49
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Thats why macs are so popular with the collage community.
You're right; macs are pretty good for the artsy community.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #50
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You're right; macs are pretty good for the artsy community.
oh ffs college. lol
editing now

after 4 years of college I still spell like a 3rd grader sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #51
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
i'm seeing a pattern here
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #52
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
oh ffs college. lol
editing now
Haha just busting your balls man.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #53
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha just busting your balls man.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #54
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
I just thought it was interesting that you were making a point about the value of the Macbook when your own example netted a loss. You should have fudged the numbers better. IMO of course.
Not if you take other factors into consideration.

Anti Virus subscription will run you about $120 for 3 years (at least) [most people who buy $500 computers have no idea that there are free antivirus alternatives].
Plust droves of other software needed to make your PC useful in any meaningful way.

On top of that, a $500 PC carries a $200 Windows 7 license, so you are basically getting a $300 garbage PC. And no way to use that windows license on any other hardware in the future, since OEM licenses are not transferrable.
      07-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #55
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Not if you take other factors into consideration.

Anti Virus subscription will run you about $120 for 3 years (at least) [most people who buy $500 computers have no idea that there are free antivirus alternatives].
Plust droves of other software needed to make your PC useful in any meaningful way.

On top of that, a $500 PC carries a $200 Windows 7 license, so you are basically getting a $300 garbage PC. And no way to use that windows license on any other hardware in the future, since OEM licenses are not transferrable.

Microsoft Security Essentials: 0$

This is pretty common knowledge even to average users.

BTW:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/PDF-Expl...ews-11828.html
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #56
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Microsoft Security Essentials: 0$

This is pretty common knowledge even to average users.

BTW:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/PDF-Expl...ews-11828.html
I wouldn't use any anti virus made by microsoft.

Even with "Anti virus" lots of people get spyware, malware, virus's, registry errors, keyloggers.. just SHIIIT that is not wanted.

All the crap that comes with a PC

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/antivirus
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #57
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't use any anti virus made by microsoft.

Even with "Anti virus" lots of people get spyware, malware, virus's, registry errors, keyloggers.. just SHIIIT that is not wanted.

All the crap that comes with a PC

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/antivirus
Easy to say if you don't have any experience with it. I work in the IT Department at a firm with 45+ users and only have had good experiences with MSE. In addition I also fix viruses for friends/families anytime a computer did not have MSE and they were brought to me with a virus I would install it and the virus was gone within a day.

Malwarebytes is the other program I use with MSE on all of my computers, both free both do a great job. I however don't use antivirus of any sort on any of my personal computers because its really easy not to get a virus.

If you don't have experience with it why bad mouth it? I'm pretty sure Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about MSE.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #58
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Easy to say if you don't have any experience with it. I work in the IT Department at a firm with 45+ users and only have had good experiences with MSE. In addition I also fix viruses for friends/families anytime a computer did not have MSE and they were brought to me with a virus I would install it and the virus was gone within a day.

Malwarebytes is the other program I use with MSE on all of my computers, both free both do a great job. I however don't use antivirus of any sort on any of my personal computers because its really easy not to get a virus.

If you don't have experience with it why bad mouth it? I'm pretty sure Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about MSE.
Like I said, If you KNOW how to keep it clean, which obviously being a IT guy for 45 people you know it very well, You won't have any problems that you cant fix.

Considering you have to do it for your family and friends shows they have a lot of problems and that is a pain in the ass for the normal user.

I was also the "IT" guy for our office (6 macs, and 2 Pc's that don't really get used anymore) and I don't remember the last time I had to look at a computer for any problems.

But as I have said before, use what makes you happy..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #59
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, If you KNOW how to keep it clean, which obviously being a IT guy for 45 people you know it very well, You won't have any problems that you cant fix.

Considering you have to do it for your family and friends shows they have a lot of problems and that is a pain in the ass for the normal user.

I was also the "IT" guy for our office (6 macs, and 2 Pc's that don't really get used anymore) and I don't remember the last time I had to look at a computer for any problems.

But as I have said before, use what makes you happy..
My point was with MSE I don't get any problems with those 45 users and you were so quick to bash a free Microsoft product that you've probably never used.

Keep in mind the friend who I last had to clean their computer also messed up a mac, put any electronic in her hand and she will find a way to mess it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #60
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep

Drives: C7 Stringray

Why do windows guys have to be so defensive and act like babies and prove 1000000 reasons why PC is better then mac. Are you sad that Mac is becoming more popular? No one system is better then the other.

I use both and both have their ups and downs.

I had a 800 HP laptop that lasted only 1.5 years because the hard drive overheated and smoke starting coming out of my system.

I replaced it with the $1399 Macbook 4 years ago, and my system is still buttery smooth like new.

I had a small problem with the macbook charger and they gave me a new charger and battery (even though my battery was fine) no questions asked and I was even out of their 1 year warranty period. That was like 200$ I just saved.

I find mac to be a lot easier for daily use, i.e browing the internet and chatting, checking e-mail, youtube, etc.

On the other hand, I use bootcamp and have windows 7 installed.

I really hate windows now because you have to choose to run things in compatibility mode, run as administrator, etc. If I am running as the admin of the computer, I should be able to run anything no questions asked.

Its like this,

*Click on program*
Error: Please run in compatibility mode el o el
*Right Click, run as windows vista program*
Error: Only administrators can access this program
*I am the only account on this computer, I am admin*
*Right click, run as admin*
Program works : )

Aside from that, windows 7 is amazing and is great to use. A lot of the programs I use at work at windows only, and I like windows use it a lot as a programmer.

Some things are easier on mac and others are easier on windows.

Both rock!
      07-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #61
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

^ You have your computer setup wrong if you are getting those administrator errors.

I also think you must be blind if you don't see the defensive/baby act coming from both sides
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #62
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
^ You have your computer setup wrong if you are getting those administrator errors.

I also think you must be blind if you don't see the defensive/baby act coming from both sides
on both counts.

"Why do <insert OS here> guys have to be so defensive and act like babies...."

It comes from all sides, not just Windoze. Anyone who doesn't see that is wearing their own rose-colored glasses.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #63
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
on both counts.

"Why do <insert OS here> guys have to be so defensive and act like babies...."

It comes from all sides, not just Windoze. Anyone who doesn't see that is wearing their own rose-colored glasses.
Correct it comes with both sides, they both have their flaws.

Personally I chose not to support apple because they are pure evil.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #64
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Correct it comes with both sides, they both have their flaws.

Personally I chose not to support apple because they are pure evil.
Pure evil as in Hitler evil? Or more like I-just-put-a-cat-in-the-microwave-and-enjoyed-what-I-saw evil?

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #65
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Pure evil as in Hitler evil? Or more like I-just-put-a-cat-in-the-microwave-and-enjoyed-what-I-saw evil?
More like oil company evil.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #66
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
More like oil company evil.
The best computing experience is when hardware and software were specifically designed to work together. Apple has known this from the beginning and it's why their devices/computers provide the best user experience.

But I don't expect everyone to believe that just as I don't expect someone who drives a Camry to believe BMW provides a better driving experience.

In the end, I'm not missing out on anything by using a Mac since I get to use great software on quality hardware...and when I do need to use Windows (only for gaming in my case), I can boot right into it from another partition. I used to love engaging in the pc vs mac arguments in the past, but all that really matters is I can choose the platform that fits me best.

All the images that Kiemyster posted is the perfect example of Windows fanboyism and only shows how little he really knows about both computing platforms.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0