New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
What are features that you want to see (or not see) in future ideal BMWs?

OK. Let's pull our heads and see if we can come up with some constructive wish list for our beloved BMWs.....

Features I would like to see in ideal BMWs:

1) Better HUD technologies across the board. Current HUD is nice but very limited in functions. I wouldn't mind BMW changing the current projection type HUD to a real (and larger) glass type HUD with full dash capabilities. Maybe even use thin film transparent OLEDs! The projection type HUDs are quite limited in visibility under non-optimal lighting conditions, and next to useless unless you have NAV (yes, there are countries in the world that NAV does not come standard......)

2) Make bluetooth phone and internet connectivity standard!

3) Move fully to online maps for the world. The current maps for a lot of countries are fairly useless. Google maps are almost always better both in terms of accuracy (more updated), and intelligent in routing. Why would I want to pay more to BMW every year for map updates with data that are at least 2 years old (well, at least for Hong Kong).

4) Auto tailgates offered at least as options for models across the board! Seems that BMW is in the process of making all their cars heavier and closing the tailgates manually progressed from nuisance to hassle, to a real chore!

5) Offer real brake calipers for sport targeted vehicles as options. Granted, BMW is starting to offer brake upgrades for 1/2/3/4 series, but what about 5/6 in sport versions?

6) Never thought I would say this but..... BETTER TRACTION AND HANDLING! I recall my old days with a 635CSi and a 850i and I can toss those cars all day and they will just grip every corners like on rails. Heck, even my old stock E34 525i felt more capable in the handling department than the F10. My current F06 GranCoupe is better than F10, but the older generations of BMW definitely beat it in handling and feel, which makes me more confident when driving.

7) Better implementation of whatever version of LSD on sport version of the vehicles. I really don't care as much if BMW implements this via real electronic/mechanical LSD units or Brake based fake LSD systems as long as it works. MP4-12C had fabulous brake based LSD, which proves that electronic brake-based ones can perform equally as well as physical LSD units, especially on current generation of high torque turbo cars......

8) Photochromatic windows for cars, where jurisdictions allows. Eliminates rattlings on roller shades...... Can be either fixed function or electronically controlled.

9) Reposition the rear-view mirror. On all my BMW (135i Vert, M3 Vert, 2010 F10 550i, 2011 F10 550i, 2013 F06 GC) recent years, I find the placement of the rear-view mirror obstructive, especially if I have to merge with traffic from the passenger-side when they are coming down an incline. I find myself having to duck to avoid the rear-view mirror to check traffic at normal driving position, unless I adjust my seats to an artificially low driving position. I tested Mercs (C63,E63), Audis, and Porsches. Only BMW has this very obstructive placement of the rear-view mirror.......

10) Better steering wheels. M6 ones are nice. Current ones for sport cars (even the normal 6 and M5s) are too large and bulky.

11) Better park assist system. Not that I really use it as I can park way faster. But if BMW is going to offer one, don't do it half-heartedly. I had the BMW park assist on my 2010 F10 and that was a complete joke. It is very difficult for it to recognize a parking spot. Difficult to engage. Terrible precision even with stock or OEM option wheels. I had OEM 356 wheels with standard sized tires on my F10. The few times I managed to engage the park assist, half of the times it will went up the curb. The rest of the times? Well, I have to fix the wheels due to curb rash... My auto park system on my 7 year old toyota luxury van (Vellfire, not sold in the US) performs way faster and never gave my wheels any curb rashes or even hit the curb! And it can do T-parking as well.

12) Integrated cellphone mounts, or at least a dedicated mount point visible near the dash. The reason being that despite the enhancements on the idrive, technology in cellphones evolve way faster. For instance, even on my M3 with idrive pro NAV, I still have my cellphone up on my dash because it offers video recording (in case of arguments in accidents), better navigation systems, augmented reality driving apps (Route 66/iOnRoad). Besides, I upgrade my phones for functionality way more frequent than I upgrade cars (I hope.....) And throw in micro-USB charging near the dash as well. The current Dock-Your-Phone-In-Center-Console won't cut it as I can't utilize the phone's capabilities when the phone is out of sight......

These are all I have time for now. Maybe I will have more when I think about it more

Oh. Number 1 thing that I would want future BMWs to lose..... WEIGHT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i

less weight, less weight, less weight, less weight and...... better brakes across the entire range. My 3 series weighs the same as my old 5 series

I drove an X3 the other day.. steering was way too light and unresponsive, brakes were shit, fuel econ was excellent... if you drove 60 and below, at 80 it was about 19mpg, vs 30+ on my 335 (with more power!!). The shifter knob with push button park and such was infuriating....

M-cars should be the way they used to be, street legal track cars in luxury trim, now they are literally moving billboards for the letter M. 'Competition Package' should be beyond standard equipment, seriously
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Touch screen nav running Google maps. I often use my phone for nav over the system in the car because Google maps is so much easier to use.
      04-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
tpg22
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 CS 135i Convertible

Diesel option in the X1, X3 and 3 Series Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F82

Engine oil dipstick.
      04-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I just want to see stuff that they've already gotten right left alone. Hydraulic steering to electric steering was a big disappointment for example, mainly because the hydraulic was so damn good.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I need a "wife ejector" seat. I don't care; through the roof or straight out the passenger door's fine with me.
      04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I just want to see stuff that they've already gotten right left alone. Hydraulic steering to electric steering was a big disappointment for example, mainly because the hydraulic was so damn good.
The steering was one of the main reasons I got a X1 xDrive28i...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Drives: BMW 330i 06

Oil and water temp visible in an easy and persistent setting on the dashboard.

Smaller 3 series (think e30 size).

More sportwagon touring options, at a better pricepoint, with small displacement turbo diesel (family hauler).

Not desired: SUV-SAV or anything that looks like a soccer mom 4x4. FWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
less weight, less weight, less weight, less weight and...... better brakes across the entire range.

'Competition Package' should be beyond standard equipment, seriously
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M Sport View Post
Engine oil dipstick.
Appreciate 0