New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

11-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Nikon D40x vs. Canon Rebel Xti

Hey guys. I plan on getting a new dslr camera in the next month or so and after going to the stores and doing some research I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D40x or the Canon Rebel Xti. I am a beginner and was told and read that both of these cameras were good entry level cameras which could also be used for more advanced photographers.

As a beginnerAs a beginner I like to have the option of not being “maxed” out in the functions and capabilities of the camera as I (hopefully) learn more and become better at photography. I’ve done some research online and through these forums and I know that both cameras are similar and it’s just a matter of preference, etc… But I heard how with the Nikon cameras you are limited to certain types of lenses that you can switch to?

I’m not sure if that makes any difference, but I’m trying to find out from both brand users why they should pick the Nikon over the Canon and vice versa. One way to differentiate is whether one is more user friendly than the other, etc.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Drives: sideways

Both cameras use their brand of lens. Third party mfg's sell lenses for both Nikon and Canon, but I wouldn't use them - you buy a Nikon or Canon to use their lenses, and both mfg's offer a wide array of choices. Neither is limited at all. A camera is a light tight box with a hole in it. See which one feels best, and go with it.

Don't fret about the equipment - it doesn't make a piss worth of difference at this point. Buy one, and start shooting. Pay attention, use trial and error, and just see what works for you.

Lastly, for the love of all things holy, set the camera to manual. If you're going to go program mode all the time, get a good compact camera.

BTW, can you guess what I shoot? it doesn't matter. Just buy one of your choices, they're both very good, and start practicing.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Both cameras use their brand of lens. Third party mfg's sell lenses for both Nikon and Canon, but I wouldn't use them - you buy a Nikon or Canon to use their lenses, and both mfg's offer a wide array of choices. Neither is limited at all. A camera is a light tight box with a hole in it. See which one feels best, and go with it.

Don't fret about the equipment - it doesn't make a piss worth of difference at this point. Buy one, and start shooting. Pay attention, use trial and error, and just see what works for you.

Lastly, for the love of all things holy, set the camera to manual. If you're going to go program mode all the time, get a good compact camera.

BTW, can you guess what I shoot? it doesn't matter. Just buy one of your choices, they're both very good, and start practicing.
I appreciate the info, but that doesn't help me pick which one. lol. It'll then boil down to things like .... "hmmm the canon comes in silver as well... and andre agassi used to be sponsored by canon...and the canon xti runs about 100 bucks more than the d40x so that must mean it's a better camera, etc...

And I don't want to resort to thinking that way. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have a D40x and I like it. Although I still have no clue how to use it lol.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I have a D40x and I like it. Although I still have no clue how to use it lol.
lol A for effort on your response. thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Excellence
G-STAR
Rep

Drives: E90 to A5

XTI.
Has a better megapixel count, less noise for ISO and colour is a bit better. Great for landscape and night shots.

Rebel XTI = small body Canon 30D
The Rebel XTI is almost exactly the same as the 30D. The 30D has 3200 ISO, but lacks with only 8.2mpx. The rebel xti lacks the 3200 iso only.

D40 has great picture sharpness but lacks mega pixels and a bit nosier iso.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellence View Post
XTI.
Has a better megapixel count, less noise for ISO and colour is a bit better. Great for landscape and night shots.

Rebel XTI = small body Canon 30D
The Rebel XTI is almost exactly the same as the 30D. The 30D has 3200 ISO, but lacks with only 8.2mpx. The rebel xti lacks the 3200 iso only.

D40 has great picture sharpness but lacks mega pixels and a bit nosier iso.
I heard about that extra noise on the d40x and about the xti being better for shooting at night. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
I heard about that extra noise on the d40x and about the xti being better for shooting at night. Thanks for the input.
The noise isn't even that loud, at least nothing to write home about. I actually like the noise, it makes me feel like I'm really taking pictures.

How is it lacking in mp? It has 10.2mp which is rather high for a beginner. I can't even utilize the full capabilities of the camera yet.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: aw 330i

Sup joonsup,

I've been debating over the same questions as well and I think I've made my final decision: Canon Rebel XTi

They pretty much the same cameras when it comes to features and specs with the exception with a few things which are:

--Focus points: the XTi has 9 while the D40x only 3 I believe...
--Exposure Compensation: XTi is -2 to +2 EV while D40x is -5 to +5 EV (which means that D40x takes better pictures in lower lighting, I think)
--Noise Reduction: the XTi deals better than the D40x with noise reduction (not sound but clarity of picture...not saying that you didn't know, but I had one guy thought I was talking about sound..lmao)
--D40x is slightly lighter and cheaper than the XTi
--Memory sticks: XTi uses compact flash while D40x uses sd cards

Besides that, it's pretty much the same camera. All the specs will be fairly close to each other. If you ask anyone in photography, they'll tell you that both are great starting cameras. If you ask which one to pick, they're all bias, it's either the Canon or Nikkon not XTi or the D40x. So if you ask a Canon guy/gal, they'll definitely tell you to go with the Canon and vice versa. It's pretty much all up to you. I like the screen details on the D40x but I feel like Rebel XTi edges the D40x by just a little. Any photographer will tell you, it's not the camera that produces the great pictures, it's mainly the lens.

Here's a couple of links that you can check out:
-A comparison of the two cameras:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._d40x&show=all
-An awesome site I found about Canon products and reviews:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

So yeah, in the end it's all up to you. Just go to some store that has it and just play with it to see which one you like and fits fine. Sorry for the long post, but hope that helps and if you got any other questions, feel free to ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
Sup joonsup,

I've been debating over the same questions as well and I think I've made my final decision: Canon Rebel XTi

They pretty much the same cameras when it comes to features and specs with the exception with a few things which are:

--Focus points: the XTi has 9 while the D40x only 3 I believe...
--Exposure Compensation: XTi is -2 to +2 EV while D40x is -5 to +5 EV (which means that D40x takes better pictures in lower lighting, I think)
--Noise Reduction: the XTi deals better than the D40x with noise reduction (not sound but clarity of picture...not saying that you didn't know, but I had one guy thought I was talking about sound..lmao)
--D40x is slightly lighter and cheaper than the XTi
--Memory sticks: XTi uses compact flash while D40x uses sd cards

Besides that, it's pretty much the same camera. All the specs will be fairly close to each other. If you ask anyone in photography, they'll tell you that both are great starting cameras. If you ask which one to pick, they're all bias, it's either the Canon or Nikkon not XTi or the D40x. So if you ask a Canon guy/gal, they'll definitely tell you to go with the Canon and vice versa. It's pretty much all up to you. I like the screen details on the D40x but I feel like Rebel XTi edges the D40x by just a little. Any photographer will tell you, it's not the camera that produces the great pictures, it's mainly the lens.

Here's a couple of links that you can check out:
-A comparison of the two cameras:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._d40x&show=all
-An awesome site I found about Canon products and reviews:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

So yeah, in the end it's all up to you. Just go to some store that has it and just play with it to see which one you like and fits fine. Sorry for the long post, but hope that helps and if you got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Very informative Knight. Much appreciated. I will consider all that were said and definitely check out those links. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
The noise isn't even that loud, at least nothing to write home about. I actually like the noise, it makes me feel like I'm really taking pictures.

How is it lacking in mp? It has 10.2mp which is rather high for a beginner. I can't even utilize the full capabilities of the camera yet.
duly noted darkcloud. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

np
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the info, but that doesn't help me pick which one. lol. It'll then boil down to things like .... "hmmm the canon comes in silver as well... and andre agassi used to be sponsored by canon...and the canon xti runs about 100 bucks more than the d40x so that must mean it's a better camera, etc...

And I don't want to resort to thinking that way. lol
That's my point exactly. If the Nikon were $100 less, I'd buy it. Put the money into something that matters, which is glass, memory cards, a tripod, speed light, etc.

I don't want to be rude, but I need to emphatically state the camera body itself, given the two you are considering (they're both great), doesn't make one damn bit of difference. If you said XTi or D3x? Big difference. Put on a blindfold and see what you like. What feels better in your hand? Which has a better layout of controls. The control layout is FAR more important than a megapixel count, af whatever, buffer whatever, etc. A photographer takes his equipment and makes images. A gear masturbator spends endless hours deciding A or B. Shit, buy C, but go take pics.

You said you're a beginner. Both cameras have the most important features for a beginner: Manual mode and a shutter release. Pick one based on balance and feel (blindfold yourself), then go take 1000's of pics. If you really want something to compare, look at what it takes to change whitebalance, ISO and to a lesser extent, pic size/quality. You'll change these more than anything in the camera, so make sure it's easy to use.

My $.02? Get the cheaper one, and put the money in glass. Glass matters, the body...not so much.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
That's my point exactly. If the Nikon were $100 less, I'd buy it. Put the money into something that matters, which is glass, memory cards, a tripod, speed light, etc.

I don't want to be rude, but I need to emphatically state the camera body itself, given the two you are considering (they're both great), doesn't make one damn bit of difference. If you said XTi or D3x? Big difference. Put on a blindfold and see what you like. What feels better in your hand? Which has a better layout of controls. The control layout is FAR more important than a megapixel count, af whatever, buffer whatever, etc. A photographer takes his equipment and makes images. A gear masturbator spends endless hours deciding A or B. Shit, buy C, but go take pics.

You said you're a beginner. Both cameras have the most important features for a beginner: Manual mode and a shutter release. Pick one based on balance and feel (blindfold yourself), then go take 1000's of pics. If you really want something to compare, look at what it takes to change whitebalance, ISO and to a lesser extent, pic size/quality. You'll change these more than anything in the camera, so make sure it's easy to use.

My $.02? Get the cheaper one, and put the money in glass. Glass matters, the body...not so much.

you don't sound rude. you are absolutely right as far as not making much of a difference. I did not know before you told me that it's the lenses that make the difference. I was checking out ebay and they have deals with the body with like 3 or 4 lenses but i realized they weren't "canon" or "nikon" brand lenses and i was iffy about that. You made me realize that the extra hundred bucks i can buy a memory card that it does not come with or put it toward a new lense (or "glass" as you pros say). haha. But you're right. I need to mess around with both of them to see which one is easier for me to use. Appreciate the straight up info. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the straight up info. Good stuff.

No worries. I see so many people get caught up in the gear. It's easy to do. Enjoy a new, wonderful hobby!

also check out www.kenrockwell.com. The guy is great, very objective, discusses both Canon and Nikon.

BTW, stay away from the lure of cheap off-brand glass (sigma, tamaron, etc). If you want to save money, check out used glass from Adorama. I buy over 50% used. I've sold used Nikon (Nikkor) lenses for 95% of what I've paid. oops, now you know.. I'm a Nikon guy.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

and oh, if i were to order right now, I would buy from this site:
http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/

haven't made a purchase from them yet, but seems like a legit site...it's the cheapest site that I've come across so far...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oops, now you know.. I'm a Nikon guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

I stick to Amazon, Adorama, B&H and Ritz. All the others get the money from you one way or another. I've seen sooooo many shady outfits, been burned once or twice. No more. The cheap guys pull stuff out of the box to sell seperatly, send you gray market not US spec equip (can't get warranty in US on gray market) and claim they will honor the warranty....oiy....don't do it.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I stick to Amazon, Adorama, B&H and Ritz. All the others get the money from you one way or another. I've seen sooooo many shady outfits, been burned once or twice. No more. The cheap guys pull stuff out of the box to sell seperatly, send you gray market not US spec equip (can't get warranty in US on gray market) and claim they will honor the warranty....oiy....don't do it.
I feel ya...same time last yr I was eager in ordering a new dslr...being new to the market, I thought they were quite expensive and tried to look for the best bargain. When I finally thought that I got the best deal that I ever could, turns out that it was a scam. Tried another site, BAM, another scam. After that, I just gave up. It's been a year since I've looked for one, but I'm back in the market again...

But I have a question to you TubroFan, that site that I've posted, I've never bought from it but some another site, it gave it a lot of positive reviews. I checked the website out, it guarantees that everything is new and USA manufacturer warranty. It also has been certified by BBB so I think it's a legit site. What do you think? (cause I really want to get the XTi w/ 17-85mm IS lens )
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #20
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
I feel ya...same time last yr I was eager in ordering a new dslr...being new to the market, I thought they were quite expensive and tried to look for the best bargain. When I finally thought that I got the best deal that I ever could, turns out that it was a scam. Tried another site, BAM, another scam. After that, I just gave up. It's been a year since I've looked for one, but I'm back in the market again...

But I have a question to you TubroFan, that site that I've posted, I've never bought from it but some another site, it gave it a lot of positive reviews. I checked the website out, it guarantees that everything is new and USA manufacturer warranty. It also has been certified by BBB so I think it's a legit site. What do you think? (cause I really want to get the XTi w/ 17-85mm IS lens )
A quick compare on the D40x shows B&H photo had better prices. www.bhphotovideo.com B&H is very reputable.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A quick compare on the D40x shows B&H photo had better prices. www.bhphotovideo.com B&H is very reputable.
Yeah, I've heard a lot about B&H and how reputable they are...but I did do a quick comparison...I'm actually looking forward in getting the Canon Rebel and it turns out the site I gave has better pricing...sorry, NikonFan
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #22
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i recommend the D40 just because i own one
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0