M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

05-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #67
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Interesting. I haven't paid enough attention to them to know that.

I may go for a ride in one today. The 12Cs are stacked pretty deep here. Like I said, for the right $ I would be interested. You gotta drive the TTS if you haven't as well. Honestly, it's sort of the same thing. The car is not flashy, although it is a lot more well appointed in the interior than the McClaren, but the driveability is amazing. Bear in mind, it's slightly faster than the 12C to approx. 100. You get that mad rush and it is smooth as glass. Now I'm intrigued more. Going ot def. head out to dealer shortly.

This sucks...you know it's usually the cars I talk smack about that end up in my garage.
Wow just a few weeks ago you were trash talking the interior LOL and said you would not get this car... you wallow haaaaaaaaaaaa

Anyways I joke (not really).

Oh btw, going to GIAC today to tune the TT-S
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #68
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
The 650S is the cheapest looking POS on the road anyway...I don't care if it outruns everything in reverse.

Well dang. I thought we were going to have a little fun! I was trying baby-hahahahahahahaha!
650s pos? really? how so..
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
I was starting to think I was the only young one here . Good luck in Law school.

thank you sir.

N.S.A I had the exact same thoughts as you did upon driving the 991 C4S for the first time. I got back into the M5 and said.... this thing is cheaper, faster, and it also has got control like no other, I dont understand the hype with the 911s. Except as each day and night went on, I kept thinking back to the C4S and decided I had to have another go at it. I came back in a week and had a go at the regular 7MT Carrera, which is way slower than the M5, and I started to realize the potential this car has. Got back into the M5 and and smiled as I took off, but for some reason, the M5 interested me less and less. Finally another week goes by of me thinking about the 911. The more I thought about the 911, the less I was excited by the M5. Finally, one more test drive sealed the deal for me. Once I caught on to the fact that the M5 was making me less exciting I realized it was game over M5.

The 911 made me realize that control is just as important as the motor. Back when I drove my first car , E60 550i, I always enjoyed how balanced the car was. It had enough power AND it had good handling characteristics that you were always aware of because the car communicated with the driver. The M5, excites a person with the brutal power it has, and distracts you from the numb communication, in a way confusing you on what you want from a car. All the way until I drove the 911 again, the M5 played an illusion on my mind, but as soon as I knew what was behind the red curtain I could not go back to pretending. I admitted the M5 has a far greater motor potential than the chassis. Due to the fact that I felt the cars chassis was underdeveloped, and that sense of control was gone, it made the car less enjoyable, and personally felt less safe as its stability is not always clear.

I get what your saying for sense of control. it scares me sometimes when it starts to loose traction then therefore I have to let go of the gas pedal to get control back. It goes side ways under MDM mode. But I still love it. But I admit I MISS my m3s handling and feeling around curves and I wish I still had it. which is like missing a Porsche 911 in terms of handling. I think the chassis is not bad specially under sport plus mode its so stiff and absorbs anything. Just wish I would not feel scared around curves because it is too big I do not expect it to do a lot of things that I have done with it. but until you start to drift slightly that's when it gets scary and the car feels light.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #69
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post
650s pos? really? how so..

I get what your saying for sense of control. it scares me sometimes when it starts to loose traction then therefore I have to let go of the gas pedal to get control back. It goes side ways under MDM mode. But I still love it. But I admit I MISS my m3s handling and feeling around curves and I wish I still had it. which is like missing a Porsche 911 in terms of handling. I think the chassis is not bad specially under sport plus mode its so stiff and absorbs anything. Just wish I would not feel scared around curves because it is too big I do not expect it to do a lot of things that I have done with it. but until you start to drift slightly that's when it gets scary and the car feels light.
What Alexey told you about his experience mirrors mine from a year ago. I really enjoyed my test drives with the 991 C4S and C2S but I was too hung up on the tq rush and freeway cruising of my current stable. I didnt have one car under 500 hp stock from the factory.

But as I re test drove the 991 chassis and realized what kind of power the car made WITH control; I was sold. It took 4 test drives and extensive runs on high speed bends, sharp turns and stop light presses to help me decide. The chassis is amazing as this was my 4th Porsche at the time (the others were turbos) and I really liked this better than all but the 997.2 TT with PDK. The nuetral feel is amazing and the elongated wheel base and lower roof design created a flat car even at the highest of speeds. The car is very efficient as 400hp is usually not equated with trap speeds in the 116-118 range and this goes back to the PDK set up. The power hits the ground very well. The steering (electronic) is on point- minimal to zero understeer even in the most pressing of turns. I loved the interior fit, finish, and feel so the car became my favorite even over my M6 (F13) and I had already dumped my M5 for the R8. I did a minor tune and gained about 20 hp and a more aggressive map with the PDK and it was an amazing car.

But then the 991 TT-S came out and I said "why not get even more power with the same chassis" so I did a short 6 months later. But if you ask me which car Id rather have: M5 or 991 C4S- my answer is the latter. But there are needs and other mitigating factors that others may have that I dont. Porsche really made amazing advancements with this car; it drives so easily and sounds amazing out of the box. I think driver feel, chassis, response, exhaust sound, mated with proper power all make the car about perfect for those who dont have to lug kids everywhere or those who want a second or third car. Plus the interior is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #70
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Wow just a few weeks ago you were trash talking the interior LOL and said you would not get this car... you wallow haaaaaaaaaaaa

Anyways I joke (not really).

Oh btw, going to GIAC today to tune the TT-S
You think?!-lol

Reminiscent of the 991-hahaha!

I doubt I'll do anything. Just looking (which can in and of itself be dangerous)

Let me know about that tune. Was going to message you last week.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #71
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You think?!-lol

Reminiscent of the 991-hahaha!

I doubt I'll do anything. Just looking (which can in and of itself be dangerous)

Let me know about that tune. Was going to message you last week.
Ill be tuned in about 2 hours--- PM me your cell Ill text you the goods
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #72
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Ill be tuned in about 2 hours--- PM me your cell Ill text you the goods
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #73
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok, if I ever make it across hat big pool of water I'll call you-lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #74
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Drove the 12C. Loved it! Tough seating position to get used to but what a cool car!

Last edited by ColdList; 05-27-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #75
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Drove the 12C. Loved it! Tough searing position to get used to but what a cool car!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:23 AM   #76
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What Alexey told you about his experience mirrors mine from a year ago. I really enjoyed my test drives with the 991 C4S and C2S but I was too hung up on the tq rush and freeway cruising of my current stable. I didnt have one car under 500 hp stock from the factory.

But as I re test drove the 991 chassis and realized what kind of power the car made WITH control; I was sold. It took 4 test drives and extensive runs on high speed bends, sharp turns and stop light presses to help me decide. The chassis is amazing as this was my 4th Porsche at the time (the others were turbos) and I really liked this better than all but the 997.2 TT with PDK. The nuetral feel is amazing and the elongated wheel base and lower roof design created a flat car even at the highest of speeds. The car is very efficient as 400hp is usually not equated with trap speeds in the 116-118 range and this goes back to the PDK set up. The power hits the ground very well. The steering (electronic) is on point- minimal to zero understeer even in the most pressing of turns. I loved the interior fit, finish, and feel so the car became my favorite even over my M6 (F13) and I had already dumped my M5 for the R8. I did a minor tune and gained about 20 hp and a more aggressive map with the PDK and it was an amazing car.

But then the 991 TT-S came out and I said "why not get even more power with the same chassis" so I did a short 6 months later. But if you ask me which car Id rather have: M5 or 991 C4S- my answer is the latter. But there are needs and other mitigating factors that others may have that I dont. Porsche really made amazing advancements with this car; it drives so easily and sounds amazing out of the box. I think driver feel, chassis, response, exhaust sound, mated with proper power all make the car about perfect for those who dont have to lug kids everywhere or those who want a second or third car. Plus the interior is awesome.
I like your analysis. I agree with you. I love the new 991 and from what I hear its not like 911 use to be. very bumpy and not comfortable for everyday use. it has became very durable and useful for every day but not like an M5 of course because its a different class in sense of use. I am glad you got the turbo. that car hurts my jaw every time I seen one from dropping my jaw. If I could get that car I WOULD over an M5 any day. I need to go test drive a 911 CS2 OR 4. Personally I LOVE TH 4s with its lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #77
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I like your analysis. I agree with you. I love the new 991 and from what I hear its not like 911 use to be. very bumpy and not comfortable for everyday use. it has became very durable and useful for every day but not like an M5 of course because its a different class in sense of use. I am glad you got the turbo. that car hurts my jaw every time I seen one from dropping my jaw. If I could get that car I WOULD over an M5 any day. I need to go test drive a 911 CS2 OR 4. Personally I LOVE TH 4s with its lights.
My C4S (pic below)- now Cold list will defend the C2S and I drove both. I want the ultimate in control so I went 4S and the wider rear. Both are winners in their own right. The C2S is the more tossable car but I found I could push the 4S to the outer limits as well. Its a brilliant AWD set up. In the rain (Cali does get that right? LOL) the car is formidable; while others slow down I found myself driving the same in the dry (almost).

If and when you test drive: Sport Plus for sure, sport shock set up and do NOT be afraid to red line the car- the car reminded my of my old E63 M6 where the sweeter spots were up in the rpm range. If the car has the sport exhaust make sure its on and your ears will be filled with the sound of music.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #78
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
I think the 996 was not comfortable, but the 997 turbo I have is very pleasant for everyday. Tire noise is the only complaint I have, but if you can live with it then it's very good. The 991 though addressed the tire noise compliant.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #79
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think the 996 was not comfortable, but the 997 turbo I have is very pleasant for everyday. Tire noise is the only complaint I have, but if you can live with it then it's very good. The 991 though addressed the tire noise compliant.
I had no issues with tire noise in my 997.1 or 997.2--- it was all dependant on OEM rubber. I ran PS2's on my 997's OEM and I have had P zeros on both of my 991's
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #80
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had no issues with tire noise in my 997.1 or 997.2--- it was all dependant on OEM rubber. I ran PS2's on my 997's OEM and I have had P zeros on both of my 991's
Interesting. I'm running bridgestones potenzas. Wonder if it makes that much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #81
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I'm running bridgestones potenzas. Wonder if it makes that much of a difference.
Noise is subjective and roads do differ so who really knows. I havent run Bridgers since my GTR...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #82
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My C4S (pic below)- now Cold list will defend the C2S and I drove both. I want the ultimate in control so I went 4S and the wider rear. Both are winners in their own right. The C2S is the more tossable car but I found I could push the 4S to the outer limits as well. Its a brilliant AWD set up. In the rain (Cali does get that right? LOL) the car is formidable; while others slow down I found myself driving the same in the dry (almost).

If and when you test drive: Sport Plus for sure, sport shock set up and do NOT be afraid to red line the car- the car reminded my of my old E63 M6 where the sweeter spots were up in the rpm range. If the car has the sport exhaust make sure its on and your ears will be filled with the sound of music.

I agree with you. I use to have an X6M I actually looked forward for the rain to test the 4 wheel drive capability and it was awesome as I COULD actually floor it and get great traction. That's why I am a fan 4 wheel drive fast cars and sports cars. so I am with you with the 4S and not only that the wider tires make the car look more aggressive. Plus where I currently its kinda has windy roads so in the rain it helps a lot. but in the summer my M3 and m5 are awesome for the roads by my house, too bad my m3 is sold. By the way your car looks gorgeous? what spoiler is that and rims?

that's good to know. based on videos with or without sport exhaust, it seems the sport exhaust is a most. I seen videos the engine sounds so good with the exhaust, I wish the new m3 had the engine sound the 911 does. since its a inline 6 cylinder. But I will definitely try to red line it if the dealership lets me haha and apply those settings

Quote:
that's what others been telling me and based on my uncles 2002 911 turbo, its very bumpy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #83
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you. I use to have an X6M I actually looked forward for the rain to test the 4 wheel drive capability and it was awesome as I COULD actually floor it and get great traction. That's why I am a fan 4 wheel drive fast cars and sports cars. so I am with you with the 4S and not only that the wider tires make the car look more aggressive. By the way your car looks gorgeous? what spoiler is that and rims?

that's good to know. based on videos with or without sport exhaust, it seems the sport exhaust is a most. I seen videos the engine sounds so good with the exhaust, I wish the new m3 had the engine sound the 911 does. since its a inline 6 cylinder. But I will definitely try to red line it if the dealership lets me haha.
I think that is a stock duck tail spoiler on vics car. Might be wrong though
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #84
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Nope. He added that.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #85
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You should run the OEM tires on that car. Pirelli for example makes that tire specifically and uniquely for the Porsche. Mine were noisy in my C2S. Sort of became the character of the car though. My TTS is far quieter in terms f road noise. Really not sure why.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #86
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
By the way your car looks gorgeous? what spoiler is that and rims?
Quote:
The wheels are Vorsteiner Monoblocks (21 inchers) with PSS tires 255x30 and 305x25 and the spoiler is the same Vorsteiner make.

I like 21's on the 991 chassis as its arches and wheel base tend to slightly eat up 20's. I found no comfort loss and shaved off about 5lbs a corner with these wheels:

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #87
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You should run the OEM tires on that car. Pirelli for example makes that tire specifically and uniquely for the Porsche. Mine were noisy in my C2S. Sort of became the character of the car though. My TTS is far quieter in terms f road noise. Really not sure why.
On any car you should run OEM tires unless they are not good summer tires. only time you should change it if you need winter tires in my opinion.

Quote:
The wheels are Vorsteiner Monoblocks (21 inchers) with PSS tires 255x30 and 305x25 and the spoiler is the same Vorsteiner make.

I like 21's on the 991 chassis as its arches and wheel base tend to slightly eat up 20's. I found no comfort loss and shaved off about 5lbs a corner with these wheels:

Nice rims, did not know they make wheels. Looks similar to HRE's wheels. nice size in wheels, what is funny they are bigger rims and still lighter.

I like the spoiler is different, I have not seen no one with that Vorsteiner SPOILER. its carbon fiber right?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #88
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
On any car you should run OEM tires unless they are not good summer tires. only time you should change it if you need winter tires in my opinion.

Nice rims, did not know they make wheels. Looks similar to HRE's wheels. nice size in wheels, what is funny they are bigger rims and still lighter.

I like the spoiler is different, I have not seen no one with that Vorsteiner SPOILER. its carbon fiber right?
Yes they are the brand on the rims. Here is what is the unknown part; the forger (here in OC) is the forger for a few LARGE wheel companies than make very high quality wheels. The fit and finish is where the separation occurs as certain companies do their F and F in house. So you get the benefit of a well made wheel for less. The F and F on the Vorsteiner wheels was quite good IMHO- very good.

The Vorsteiner spoiler is indeed carbon fiber- its part of their 991 line which also has a bad ass diffuser and side and front spoilers:

The wheels on the white 991 are the exact ones I have (I mean I bought them off Eric at SupremePower whose car is modeled)

Click Here
Appreciate 0