New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #111
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I
Second: iPhone Nein!
Chevy No Va
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #112
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnakle View Post
Their processors are top of the line. Androids main problem is Qualcomm's monopoly on mobile processors and the antenna bands here in the US.

Samsungs Exynos processor is really really good, but they can't sell it here in the US through carriers. Technically they can sell it here but would have to pay some licensing or royalty fee to Qualcomm they did this once in the past. I think you can get an international version of the phones usually later after release. If you look up any comparisons between a Snapdragon Variant and Exynos Variant the Exynos performs better most of the time.

Outside of Apples A series chips, most phones in the US are Snapdragons and Qualcomm only guarantees driver support and updates for 2 years after release. That's another reason OEMs can't match Apples warranty for older devices.

I have a Pixel XL and plan to get the next version after it's announced on October 5th. I liked my iPhones, but I can't past all the apps on my screen now and no app drawer partial OCD kicking in I guess. iPhone 8 should be a great device since it will be Amoled tech from Samsung, but reports say it is a really limited supply as in more limited than usual. The forecasted reports based on leaks from Foxconn is they can catch up to estimated demand by February. So they are releasing new iPhone 7 variants on the same day to appease people who don't want to wait for iPhone 8 because of a shortage.
You must mean iphone x, not iphone 8 as demand for that is not as high and i believe the amoled display is only on the x
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #113
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

iphone is better than android fragmentation and lack of support.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #114
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
You must mean iphone x, not iphone 8 as demand for that is not as high and i believe the amoled display is only on the x
At the time the post you quoted was written, I believe the speculation was that the two phones would be called 7S and 8, or perhaps 7S and Edition, rather than the 8 and X that were released.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #115
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There's now an 8, and a X. What happened to the 9?

"Seven eight NOIN" Yuk yuk
FTFY.

Ba ba booey to you all.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #116
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

To put it in terms most of you would appreciate, image what it would be like if BMW did not control the complete design of their cars, someone made the engine, someone made their chassis and someone else did the suspension.

The overall experience would suck. When you have tight integration and design control you have a better overall experience. But most people can't not afford that so they buy what they can afford and deal with the bad experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #117
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
To put it in terms most of you would appreciate, image what it would be like if BMW did not control the complete design of their cars, someone made the engine, someone made their chassis and someone else did the suspension.

The overall experience would suck. When you have tight integration and design control you have a better overall experience. But most people can't not afford that so they buy what they can afford and deal with the bad experience.
if you're looking for a car analogy, BMW is more like an android. it's got a very active community of people who can change the car from stock, you can swap in better components (brake pads, spark plugs, intercoolers etc).

But, every time you get into a BMW, you need to get used to the individual car. The indicators are on the wrong side, the icons on the dash and location of the cruise control changes from car to car and model to model. Frankly, it's confusing when you first get into a new BMW, and they've got so many different models it must be very difficult for BMW to support every one.

The iPhone is like a Tesla. It's fully integrated, sleek, shiny and fast. There are different specifications, but really only one "model". If you are happy doing exactly what the designer expects you to do with it, it's wonderful; but if you are bothered by it's shortcomings (like agility, battery life, charge time, value for money, etc) you can lump it or leave it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #118
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Those analogies are bad.

The android analogy would have to include poor ram management, (while listening to the radio, the engine misfires and doesn't shift gears), Poor user experience (clunky transmission, bad ride quality) and more frequent reboots (car breaks down on the side of the road), a bad vinyl wrap job with advertising on it that you can't take off (Android manufacture skins), a key that opens the door, but doesn't start the car or do anything else like put the windows up/down (TouchID vs Android's fingerprint reader), etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #119
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Those analogies are bad.

The android analogy would have to include poor ram management, (while listening to the radio, the engine misfires and doesn't shift gears), Poor user experience (clunky transmission, bad ride quality) and more frequent reboots (car breaks down on the side of the road), a bad vinyl wrap job with advertising on it that you can't take off (Android manufacture skins), a key that opens the door, but doesn't start the car or do anything else like put the windows up/down (TouchID vs Android's fingerprint reader), etc etc.
See, this is the thing. Most people who hate on android are still basing their experience on the Samsung Galaxy S2 they once had, or their mom's brand new Samsung J7. Android has come a long way in the past 5 years, but it's still being sold on drastically under-powered hardware.

It's hard to see the benefit of Android if you're going to buy a Samsung Galaxy S8, since they've progressively taken everything bad about the iPhone (inbuilt battery, no headphone jack, $1,000+ price point etc.) But unlike the iPhone, that's not _all_ android can do.

But Samsung isn't the only hardware manufacturer on Android.

I've got a LGV20, not only does the fingerprint reader work every time, it's also used for authenticating Fortinet 2FA and the android wallet. There are no memory management issues (because the hardware actually has enough RAM to run Android), it's got no LG branding because I know how to remove it (most users don't or don't bother) and it's got a swappable battery, headphone jack, and it'll happily flash my car with MHD/Carly etc. The problem with Android is that you actually have to know what you're doing to customize it to get the most out of it.

Apple is fantastic for people who are happy doing things Apple's way; and can afford to buy & replace Apple hardware. But if you're comparing the experience on a J7, go and spend $250 on a second hand iPhone on eBay and use that for a week and compare it to the J7. THEN you'll understand why people, who don't customized android, choose "android".

I'm actually not trying to change your mind and get you to buy an Android, if you like iPhone stick to it. It's easier, it's slick and you probably don't notice how restrictive it is.

But I'm trying to say that almost all of the criticisms of Android I read on this board can be fixed by choosing an adequately-powered piece of hardware and customizing the OEM software image or loading a generic Android one.

And to use another analogy, using the most popular Android phones as a yardstick for Android's capabilities (ie. entry level handsets & Samsung Flagship devices) is like driving a 328d and a E65 740Li then saying all BMW's are either underpowered cheap plasticy things, or high-powered land-yachts with a shitty user interface (iDrive v1).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #120
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There's now an 8, and a X. What happened to the 9?

"Seven eight NOIN" Yuk yuk
FTFY.

Ba ba booey to you all.
Hit em with the Heinnnnnnnn
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #121
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Well, none anymore, I've moved across to android (Which, FWIW, is just as bloody bad. You'd think saving saving MMS's to the storage card as normal picture or video files would be common bloody sense... apparently not.)
everything is pushed to cloud, which drives me insane.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #122
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
But I'm trying to say that almost all of the criticisms of Android I read on this board can be fixed by choosing an adequately-powered piece of hardware and customizing the OEM software image or loading a generic Android one.
Or just buy an iPhone which you know already works, and don't have to bother with any of that crap. That's what people are saying. iPhone just "works".
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #123
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

That's what the cult told you to say
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #124
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

I don't get told to say anything. Unlike the brainwashed followers of lesser technology...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #125
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Or just buy an iPhone which you know already works, and don't have to bother with any of that crap. That's what people are saying. iPhone just "works".
I completely agree. And that's kinda what I'm saying.

If you have $1,000 to spend on your phone every 24 months and want something that will "just work", you can't go past an iPhone.

IOS is better for most people, because it's completely locked down and is running on appropriately sized hardware.

But it's expensive, it's restrictive, and Tim Cook seems hell-bent on grabbing all the worst features from Android, integrating them into the latest IOS releases, and forcing everyone to upgrade and just deal with it.

But, the upside of that is that you can pick up any iPhone and it'll work exactly how you expect it to.

But, if you only have $300 to spend on a phone, or you want a headphone jack, a removable battery or want to swipe to unlock your device - you really have no choice but to go Android.

I was very happy with a hardware home button, a physical headphone jack and swipe-to-unlock, thank you very much!

Android is not free of shortcomings, not least of which is initial usability - I use a LG V20, but whenever I pick up someone's Samsung Galaxy (also running the same major revision Android, but the Samsung version) - it's completely foreign. Really simple stuff like the 'back button', 'home button' and 'running-apps draw button' are different bloody icons from LG to Samsung.

But what do you want? Easy, expensive, locked-down or flexible and available on any budget?

Android is better for some people because if all you use your phone for is SMS & Voice it'll do an equally good job for 1/3rd of the price.
It's better for some other people because they have the time and knowledge to customize so it works the way they want, not the way the manufacturer tells them they should want it to work.
iPhone is awesome for most people, but you have to accept that it's not 'your phone', it's Apple's phone that you've bought the right to use for a couple of years - until the forced-obsolescence date, when it's time for you to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #126
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
iPhone is awesome for most people, but you have to accept that it's not 'your phone', it's Apple's phone that you've bought the right to use for a couple of years - until the forced-obsolescence date, when it's time for you to upgrade.
iOS 11 is supported on iPhone 5S which was released 4 years. Which 4 year Android device is still being supported by the manufacturer with the latest software?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #127
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
iOS 11 is supported on iPhone 5S which was released 4 years. Which 4 year Android device is still being supported by the manufacturer with the latest software?
Most likely none; but when it comes to updates, you have the option of telling android to piss off and stop reminding you, meaning that my Samsung Galaxy S3 is just as capable of making phone calls and sending & receiving MMS's as the day I bought it. Even better, since you can still get batteries on eBay for $10, it's battery life today is the same as it was in 2012.

The downside, of course, is I don't have any of the bling that's come with subsequent Android releases; and it can't run a whole bunch of new Android Apps which only support modern Android operating systems - but it can still run the last 'Jelly Bean' version of those apps.

My iPhone 6 on the other hand has got progressively slower and more crashy since I upgraded to IOS 10, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3, because the CPU & memory isn't anywhere near what it needs to be to run the latest operating system smoothly. The battery life is exactly what you'd expect of a 3 year old phone (ie. not long); and when IOS 11 gets pushed out it'll start asking me if I'd like to install IOS 11 now, or if I'd like to install IOS 11 tonight, or if I'd like to be reminded again in about 24 hours. And it'll do that until I agree to install IOS 11, which the hardware is totally incapable of running.

Thus prompting me to do what I should've done last year, and go and buy a new iPhone.

Edit:

That's the difference between real obsolescence and forced obsolescence. Android has come a long way in the last 5 years, and if you use your phone to do more than making calls and sending & receiving SMS, you'll legitimately want to upgrade because software & hardware has really improved.

Conversely, the iPhone 4S was a great phone, and if you have actively ignored all the updates since 2013, and gone down to your local shopping mall in the past 12 months and paid some dude $120 to change its battery, you'll find it's still a great phone that does 99% of what an iPhone 7 does.
But it'll be reminding you _every day_ that you should upgrade to IOS 9.3.5 - and the second you do, it'll be slow and shit and crashy.

Last edited by xQx; 09-17-2017 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #128
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

My S4 still works fine. Don't need new phone every 6 months
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #129
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

You write too much crap, I don't understand half of what your going on about, learn how to summarize your points, no need for essay's here, you aren't getting graded.

I currently use a Samsung S8+ and I can't understand you are on about, my experience is not based on a S2. Android is on drastically under-powered hardware? Man, you must be on the moon. Android devices largely out spec a comparable iPhone but still performs better.

Quote:
See, this is the thing. Most people who hate on android are still basing their experience on the Samsung Galaxy S2 they once had, or their mom's brand new Samsung J7. Android has come a long way in the past 5 years, but it's still being sold on drastically under-powered hardware.

It's hard to see the benefit of Android if you're going to buy a Samsung Galaxy S8, since they've progressively taken everything bad about the iPhone (inbuilt battery, no headphone jack, $1,000+ price point etc.) But unlike the iPhone, that's not _all_ android can do.

But Samsung isn't the only hardware manufacturer on Android.

I've got a LGV20, not only does the fingerprint reader work every time, it's also used for authenticating Fortinet 2FA and the android wallet. There are no memory management issues (because the hardware actually has enough RAM to run Android), it's got no LG branding because I know how to remove it (most users don't or don't bother) and it's got a swappable battery, headphone jack, and it'll happily flash my car with MHD/Carly etc. The problem with Android is that you actually have to know what you're doing to customize it to get the most out of it.

Apple is fantastic for people who are happy doing things Apple's way; and can afford to buy & replace Apple hardware. But if you're comparing the experience on a J7, go and spend $250 on a second hand iPhone on eBay and use that for a week and compare it to the J7. THEN you'll understand why people, who don't customized android, choose "android".

I'm actually not trying to change your mind and get you to buy an Android, if you like iPhone stick to it. It's easier, it's slick and you probably don't notice how restrictive it is.

And to use another analogy, using the most popular Android phones as a yardstick for Android's capabilities (ie. entry level handsets & Samsung Flagship devices) is like driving a 328d and a E65 740Li then saying all BMW's are either underpowered cheap plasticy things, or high-powered land-yachts with a shitty user interface (iDrive v1).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #130
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This obsession with 'customisation" is a BS argument, Android is still pretty inflexible and this is not most people's problem with apple.

The issue with apple is data management, lack of a file structure, syncing rather than saving and backing up, compatibility with other devices and systems (like simple casting), forced use of iTunes etc etc.
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      09-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #131
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This obsession with 'customisation" is a BS argument, Android is still pretty inflexible and this is not most people's problem with apple.

The issue with apple is data management, lack of a file structure, syncing rather than saving and backing up, compatibility with other devices and systems (like simple casting), forced use of iTunes etc etc.
This. For as happy as i am with my iPhone, i wish it just looked like an external drive when i plugged it into a computer.

I have a work around to get some of my DSLR pics on my phone and use Photosync or air drop to get photos and videos off of it. Can't stand syncing to iTunes.
      09-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #132
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Most likely none; but when it comes to updates, you have the option of telling android to piss off and stop reminding you, meaning that my Samsung Galaxy S3 is just as capable of making phone calls and sending & receiving MMS's as the day I bought it. Even better, since you can still get batteries on eBay for $10, it's battery life today is the same as it was in 2012.

The downside, of course, is I don't have any of the bling that's come with subsequent Android releases; and it can't run a whole bunch of new Android Apps which only support modern Android operating systems - but it can still run the last 'Jelly Bean' version of those apps.

My iPhone 6 on the other hand has got progressively slower and more crashy since I upgraded to IOS 10, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3, because the CPU & memory isn't anywhere near what it needs to be to run the latest operating system smoothly. The battery life is exactly what you'd expect of a 3 year old phone (ie. not long); and when IOS 11 gets pushed out it'll start asking me if I'd like to install IOS 11 now, or if I'd like to install IOS 11 tonight, or if I'd like to be reminded again in about 24 hours. And it'll do that until I agree to install IOS 11, which the hardware is totally incapable of running.

Thus prompting me to do what I should've done last year, and go and buy a new iPhone.

Edit:

That's the difference between real obsolescence and forced obsolescence. Android has come a long way in the last 5 years, and if you use your phone to do more than making calls and sending & receiving SMS, you'll legitimately want to upgrade because software & hardware has really improved.

Conversely, the iPhone 4S was a great phone, and if you have actively ignored all the updates since 2013, and gone down to your local shopping mall in the past 12 months and paid some dude $120 to change its battery, you'll find it's still a great phone that does 99% of what an iPhone 7 does.
But it'll be reminding you _every day_ that you should upgrade to IOS 9.3.5 - and the second you do, it'll be slow and shit and crashy.
I have a 5S from when it first came out - I've taken all the updates; battery life and "smoothness" are still perfect. Unless you are snapchatting all the time, the battery life is still at par.

*I am scared that the next update will make it slower, though. That's what happened to my 3, so I'm not entirely dismissing your point.
Appreciate 0