New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #6953
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Two of my pet peeves - as far as citations/driving behaviors go - are those who tailgate and those who drive around at night with no headlights/tail lights on. It drives me bonkers.
I'll admit, I will move up and "tailgate" someone if they are camping in the fast lane and not moving out of the way. I give them ample time to realize I'm there before I start to creep up and make them uncomfortable, but I never get super close like I have seen some folks do. Some people get feet from a bumper and thats crazy.

But I.cant.stand.fast.lane.campers. Get your damn Prius out of my way.
Just know it puts you in a bad position because the person who collides from the rear is always at fault.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #6954
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
Just know it puts you in a bad position because the person who collides from the rear is always at fault.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...tal_crash.html
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:07 AM   #6955
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...tal_crash.html
Well that's Canada, and that's a pretty odd circumstance. For the most part, if you are following so closely that you give yourself no room to stop safely without colliding into the vehicle ahead, you are at fault……even if the person ahead of you stops abruptly.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-11-2022, 08:11 AM   #6956
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
Well that's Canada, and that's a pretty odd circumstance. For the most part, if you are following so closely that you give yourself no room to stop safely without colliding into the vehicle ahead, you are at fault……even if the person ahead of you stops abruptly.
I agree with you. I am not too familiar with all the details of the case above, I just know that it is case law for some circumstances around negligence.

At first I’d blame the motorcyclist. But there were reasons they blamed the driver. Just pointing out it’s not slam dunk black and white.

Edit: and Quebec isn’t common law as the rest of Canada/US.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:13 AM   #6957
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
I agree with you. I am not too familiar with all the details of the case above, I just know that it is case law for some circumstances around negligence.

At first I'd blame the motorcyclist. But there were reasons they blamed the driver. Just pointing out it's not slam dunk black and white.
Do recall that I was responding to his scenario where he purposely closes the distance to initiate some sort of response from the driver ahead (…21703 CVC, among others) .
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #6958
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
"Educate yourself": Maga code for I don't understand but I'm going to be condescending
Quote:
I was always taught the 3 second rule for following distance. If I creep up on someone I'm still usually a couple car lengths back, but inside that 3 second rule. I guess I've always considered tailgating being inside that 3 second rule. Around my neck of the woods that usually gets people to move over, but I also live in what most people consider the sticks.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:52 AM   #6959
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
"Educate yourself": Maga code for I don't understand but I'm going to be condescending
Quote:
I was always taught the 3 second rule for following distance. If I creep up on someone I'm still usually a couple car lengths back, but inside that 3 second rule. I guess I've always considered tailgating being inside that 3 second rule. Around my neck of the woods that usually gets people to move over, but I also live in what most people consider the sticks.
The 3-second rule is a good one to follow and implementing it will keep you out of the danger zone majority of the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #6960
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

i just keep my distance from everyone. ours cars are fast enough to weave once gaps are there.

i can't tailgate, it solves nothing. id rather just get somewhere slowly then increase my blood pressure
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #6961
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I love my automatic cruise control with preset for distance to the car in front. I'm OK if the guy behind doesn't get it. And I'm OK if people somehow get around me and pull in then being one car further than they were. If I'm in the fast lane going as fast as the cars in front I have no intention of being the last car in a 17 car wreck. I'm gonna be the guy whose car is only hit from behind.

And besides. I'm retired. Unless I have a tee time there is nothing I'm doing that can't wait an extra few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:05 AM   #6962
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i just keep my distance from everyone. ours cars are fast enough to weave once gaps are there.

i can't tailgate, it solves nothing. id rather just get somewhere slowly then increase my blood pressure
It's great for peppering that front bumper though.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #6963
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I love my automatic cruise control with preset for distance to the car in front. I'm OK if the guy behind doesn't get it. And I'm OK if people somehow get around me and pull in then being one car further than they were. If I'm in the fast lane going as fast as the cars in front I have no intention of being the last car in a 17 car wreck. I'm gonna be the guy whose car is only hit from behind.

And besides. I'm retired. Unless I have a tee time there is nothing I'm doing that can't wait an extra few minutes.
For me, I really dislike being behind vehicles and not being able to see the road ahead. I don't trust other motorists to avoid debris, animals, etc. And when two vehicles going the same speed are taking up both lanes of the freeway, well... Like I said, I give ample time to realize I'm behind looking to pass, and if you still dont move after a quick flash of the lights, well, you're a dick.

I know its an issue everywhere, but in MN left lane camping is particularly bad. It's bad enough that a few years ago the news had to put out a special on left lane driving and how it's illegal to drive in the left lane unless passing or preparing for a turn. It caused an uproar of people saying they can drive in whatever lane they want at whatever speed they want, and some even stated they do it intentionally to slow people down. I'm not sure why it's such an issue here.

But I've also driven the highways of Kuwait, Egypt, etc and they give zero fucks. If you dont move after that first flash of the high beams they will move you out of the way.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #6964
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I agree that it will be armchair quarterbacked for years to come. I also agree that many of them are being treated as scapegoats, including the Chief himself. It is the reality that somebody has to shoulder the blame, even if they aren't the person(s)/people who deserve it.

I try to be as honest as possible with my responses here and paint accurate depictions of the realities of the profession because that's the entire purpose of this thread. I don't think for one minute any of those officers are/were cowards. You cannot don this uniform everyday and have a cowardice mindset (…which isn't to say we never get scared; I've been scared a bunch of times). The cowards quit! I've seen it time & time again. The dynamics are just hard to put into words. You would have to be in the situation [or a similar situation] to truly get a feel for the atmosphere everybody on scene experienced.
Sedan_Clan, I just want to thank you again for letting us in to see the world through the eyes of a LEO.

I appreciate the time you take to explain situations in clear, unambiguous terms. This is an awesome thread.
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go15762.50
Sedan_Clan25116.50
paquet629.50
      10-11-2022, 12:24 PM   #6965
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
I agree that it will be armchair quarterbacked for years to come. I also agree that many of them are being treated as scapegoats, including the Chief himself. It is the reality that somebody has to shoulder the blame, even if they aren't the person(s)/people who deserve it.

I try to be as honest as possible with my responses here and paint accurate depictions of the realities of the profession because that's the entire purpose of this thread. I don't think for one minute any of those officers are/were cowards. You cannot don this uniform everyday and have a cowardice mindset (…which isn't to say we never get scared; I've been scared a bunch of times). The cowards quit! I've seen it time & time again. The dynamics are just hard to put into words. You would have to be in the situation [or a similar situation] to truly get a feel for the atmosphere everybody on scene experienced.
Sedan_Clan, I just want to thank you again for letting us in to see the world through the eyes of a LEO.

I appreciate the time you take to explain situations in clear, unambiguous terms. This is an awesome thread.
I appreciate that. This is one venue where I really enjoy talking about this profession with the help of the other LEO's on the forum. It's therapeutic for me and informative for those who regularly read this thread.

Appreciate 3
sygazelle11420.50
T0RM3NT3642.00
paquet629.50
      10-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #6966
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
For me, I really dislike being behind vehicles and not being able to see the road ahead. I don't trust other motorists to avoid debris, animals, etc. And when two vehicles going the same speed are taking up both lanes of the freeway, well... Like I said, I give ample time to realize I'm behind looking to pass, and if you still dont move after a quick flash of the lights, well, you're a dick.

I know its an issue everywhere, but in MN left lane camping is particularly bad. It's bad enough that a few years ago the news had to put out a special on left lane driving and how it's illegal to drive in the left lane unless passing or preparing for a turn. It caused an uproar of people saying they can drive in whatever lane they want at whatever speed they want, and some even stated they do it intentionally to slow people down. I'm not sure why it's such an issue here.

But I've also driven the highways of Kuwait, Egypt, etc and they give zero fucks. If you dont move after that first flash of the high beams they will move you out of the way.
I think we all hate being blind and behind a taller blacked out vehicle. But I also hate the guy who feels he is entitled to go faster than the flow of traffic. If the fast lane is full up for miles ahead moving at 70 and he wants to go 75 I do not care. They are as bad as the guys who get in the left and don't keep up.

Only other country I have driven in is Thailand. Over there anger is a rare emotion on the road. There are so many incompetent drivers it would wear you out to get mad.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 07:26 PM   #6967
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Only other country I have driven in is Thailand. Over there anger is a rare emotion on the road. There are so many incompetent drivers it would wear you out to get mad.
You oughta see how they drove in Manilla when I was there with the Navy. The lane lines are barely suggestions and the signals are almost just for appearances.
Appreciate 1
jamesinaz1646.50
      10-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #6968
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Sooooo, I may get the Motor spot at my station. Fingers crossed, but it's looking good. I'm trying not to get too excited, but damn….this is what I've been waiting for.
Appreciate 3
T0RM3NT3642.00
      10-11-2022, 07:40 PM   #6969
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Sooooo, I may get the Motor spot at my station. Fingers crossed, but it's looking good. I'm trying not to get too excited, but damn….this is what I've been waiting for.
What’s a motor spot?
Asking for a friend.
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35134.50
      10-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #6970
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Watch out for the crazies that don't look for you!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      10-11-2022, 07:42 PM   #6971
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Two wheels o'fun!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Dino GT35134.50
vreihen1615333.00
      10-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #6972
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Two wheels o'fun!!!!

No more wear and tear on your own car.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      10-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #6973
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Watch out for the crazies that don't look for you!

Oh I definitely plan to. I'll be aggressively hunting. God I hope this works out.
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2022, 07:53 PM   #6974
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
So she stopped her car on a highway with a 100kmh speed limit, and she was charged with Criminal Negligence. This wan't an incident of a typical rear end collision, this was a car parked in a live lane.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50