New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #45
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Here in Ontario it's a felony to go 50+ kph over the speed limit, which is 100kmh (60) tops everywhere. The accepted cruising speed here in ontario is 120kph, and you'll never get a ticket for doing 15 over or so (70mph).

I've been driving a lot here lately for work and notice that on the 400 series highways (401, 400) there will usually be plenty of people pushing over 130kph and often at least 1 person who blows by that pack at speeds of 140 or greater. Those are both very busy highways with known spots for police to camp so the risk level is crazy to me. I usually set my cruise at 115-120 kph to avoid this risk of getting ticketed.

My preferred speeding 'outlet' is when I see a big hill - i'll blast towards it and then let the grade slow me down. Only if there's good visibility (daytime), and only when there's no other cars around. I think there's still risk involved with this but I'm giving myself the best chance of getting away with it in this case. The E90 is too fun to not push a little.
      05-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #46
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
Here in Ontario it's a felony to go 50+ kph over the speed limit, which is 100kmh (60) tops everywhere. The accepted cruising speed here in ontario is 120kph, and you'll never get a ticket for doing 15 over or so (70mph).

I've been driving a lot here lately for work and notice that on the 400 series highways (401, 400) there will usually be plenty of people pushing over 130kph and often at least 1 person who blows by that pack at speeds of 140 or greater. Those are both very busy highways with known spots for police to camp so the risk level is crazy to me. I usually set my cruise at 115-120 kph to avoid this risk of getting ticketed.

My preferred speeding 'outlet' is when I see a big hill - i'll blast towards it and then let the grade slow me down. Only if there's good visibility (daytime), and only when there's no other cars around. I think there's still risk involved with this but I'm giving myself the best chance of getting away with it in this case. The E90 is too fun to not push a little.
The only two times I pushed mine was on a 2 lane rural road with a 65 mph speed limit and a vehicle pulling a trailer up a steep hill where there was a passing lane. I stepped on it but did slow down on the hill as I blew by the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #47
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
I generally drive the speed limit +7mph on straightaways of populated roads. But, there are lots of places where you can go way over with virtually no chance of getting caught. One maybe extreme example, US-50 in NV ('America's Loneliest Road'). I drove it just a couple of weeks ago, had the M2 at 130 for a bit. I saw one cop car in like 6 hours on that road (coming in the other direction), there's no place for them to hide alongside the road, and usually no other cars in sight at all (with miles of visibility). And I go more than 20-25mph over the limit all the time around rural road curves posted at 45 mph or less, which is not even seriously pushing the M2 (w/ dry pavement and warm tires). Also, passing on two lane roads I kick it down to get around the other vehicle(s) ASAP, often ending at 100-120 depending the length of vehicle or string of vehicles I'm passing. I've only been pulled over once in total in 40+ yrs of driving, last year an Indiana cop said I was still going 60 in a 45 zone going through a town on a rural highway but I think he was wrong (I saw the 45 sign and was on the brakes to get below 50 before passing it) and he just gave me a warning.
Yeah it's totally location-dependent. I was in northern Michigan last week near Traverse City and there were so many twisty roads with ZERO police anywhere. It is off-season for tourists so the roads were mostly free. I had the most fun I've ever had with my car.

Here in the Seattle area speed limits are very low (60 mph on highways, 30-35 on main roads) and there are a ton of drivers who stick to the limit like glue. Add in constant drizzle and a very visible police presence and it's difficult to have any fun!

Last edited by Germanauto; 05-14-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #48
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalalau View Post
Yesterday I saw on Facebook the Illinois State Police had a posting with a photo of a Camaro with the radar locked. Posted underneath the following:

You know what’s better than locking in a car’s speed at 1️⃣ 2️⃣ 1️⃣ mph??

Locking in the speed of the car right behind it at 1️⃣ 3️⃣ 9️⃣ mph.

And you know what the best part is??

They both pulled over and got arrested.

Camaro 121 mph
BMW 139 mph

I-90 (Tollway)

www.facebook.com/IllinoisStatePolice/

The person who handles their social media had some BMW trolling fun.
Guess they were trying to escape from Chicago.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Zero_Cool189.00
      05-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #49
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post

The speed limits are unreasonably low in Canada. I drove to Toronto a couple weeks ago and was mostly doing 130 kph tops. Really makes it hard to get anywhere.

I can sort of understand a 100 kph limit around Toronto but in the middle of nowhere of ON it should be higher.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #50
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M2

This story reminds me of this video:

BTW, the kid driving this M3 was only 15

Appreciate 2
CeEl477.50
      05-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #51
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I love how the announcer knows NOTHING about an E30 M3 calling it "supercharged" lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #52
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Illinoisan BMW driver here. Couple years ago, I flew by a cop doing somewhere between 110 - 130 mph on I-88 in my old M4. Luckily for me he was moving at the time, so I slammed on the brakes and slowed down before he could accurately pace me. Officer immediately pulled me over and tried to get me to admit to driving over 100 MPH ; I denied it and demanded to see the evidence. He folded and wrote me a ticket for 94 mph (60 mph zone) which was the legal limit he could write me before taking me to jail. I hired one of the best attorneys and fought it - ticket was reduced to 10 mph over the limit and I was given supervision (so the ticket isn't even on my license anymore).

I got lucky... and I have not exceeded 95 mph in any vehicle since. Plus I got rid of the M4 because it just begs you to drive fast. We need high-speed autobahns here.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #53
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
Illinoisan BMW driver here. Couple years ago, I flew by a cop doing somewhere between 110 - 130 mph on I-88 in my old M4. Luckily for me he was moving at the time, so I slammed on the brakes and slowed down before he could accurately pace me. Officer immediately pulled me over and tried to get me to admit to driving over 100 MPH ; I denied it and demanded to see the evidence. He folded and wrote me a ticket for 94 mph (60 mph zone) which was the legal limit he could write me before taking me to jail. I hired one of the best attorneys and fought it - ticket was reduced to 10 mph over the limit and I was given supervision (so the ticket isn't even on my license anymore).

I got lucky... and I have not exceeded 95 mph in any vehicle since. Plus I got rid of the M4 because it just begs you to drive fast. We need high-speed autobahns here.

I-88 practically begs you to floor it. Love that highway.

That being said, I never understood how fighting speeding tickets work. Either you were clocked going a certain speed, or you weren't (or you were incorrectly accused instead of another car). It's pretty black and white to me. If you were clocked at 94, then you should be prosecuted as if you were driving 94. If you weren't clocked, then the ticket should be thrown out or never have been written in the first place, not reduced in severity to 10 mph over. Otherwise how could a cop prove you were speeding at all? The only thing we should need lawyers for is throwing a ticket out for being incorrectly accused, not reducing severity. Makes no sense to me.

Unless it's all about money and revenue, in which case write me as many tickets as you want, and let me go on my way without anything other than a financial penalty. Check's in the mail. As long as it's not real reckless driving (swerving in and out of traffic like a moron, not the 25+ mph over kind), I see absolutely no issue with this. Get a warrant for your arrest if you don't pay the tickets. Watch the revenue streams soar.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #54
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post

That being said, I never understood how fighting speeding tickets work. Either you were clocked going a certain speed, or you weren't (or you were incorrectly accused instead of another car). It's pretty black and white to me. If you were clocked at 94, then you should be prosecuted as if you were driving 94. If you weren't clocked, then the ticket should be thrown out or never have been written in the first place, not reduced in severity to 10 mph over. Otherwise how could a cop prove you were speeding at all? The only thing we should need lawyers for is throwing a ticket out for being incorrectly accused, not reducing severity. Makes no sense to me.

Unless it's all about money and revenue, in which case write me as many tickets as you want, and let me go on my way without anything other than a financial penalty. Check's in the mail. As long as it's not real reckless driving (swerving in and out of traffic like a moron, not the 25+ mph over kind), I see absolutely no issue with this. Get a warrant for your arrest if you don't pay the tickets. Watch the revenue streams soar.
The judge's father was a state patrol, and my attorney advised me this judge has a history of taking state patrol at their word without evidence. So I took the deal. I wasn't too happy about it and wanted to fight it 100%, but in the end I'm ok.
Appreciate 3
ntg442887.50
jjasonSU194.00
clee1982796.00
      05-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #55
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

In Arizona, the photoradar systems give you 9 mph over the speed limit before they click on. The reason is that they don't want to have to litigate the exact accuracy of the radar guns. The same thing applies to a police officer who clocks you by tailing you...if he is too close to the speed limit the prosecutor would have to prove the accuracy of his speedometer and his vision (is he watching the road or the speedometer?).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #56
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Two stories:

... reverse figure eight to end up at the same intersection again. Completely lost the [police]

I'm doing 120......it's a 55 mph zone. [...] In the 3 years I had that Lexus, I had been pulled over countless times for speeding
Some day, this pattern of behavior will land you in serious trouble. I hope for you that you will grow out of it before it ruins your life, or you kill someone.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #57
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Two stories:

... reverse figure eight to end up at the same intersection again. Completely lost the [police]

I'm doing 120......it's a 55 mph zone. [...] In the 3 years I had that Lexus, I had been pulled over countless times for speeding
Some day, this pattern of behavior will land you in serious trouble. I hope for you that you will grow out of it before it ruins your life, or you kill someone.
Did you even read what I posted?

First story, I might have been doing 10 mph over the speed limit. Second story, I clearly typed that I wasn't trying to race the guy, just trying get to work and get away from the offensive driver.

Thanks for your input but I'm 42 now and my behavior serves me quite well in life.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #58
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Drives: BMW 330i 06

First story: you were doing 10 mph over. Take the fine. If you get arrested after evading the police and doing stunts, you'll have jail time. Think about it. Is it worth it?

Second story: whatever your rationale, you were doing 120 in a 55 zone. You admitted to being pulled many times. Again, one day you will not find an understanding LEO, and you will get the full reckless driving package with jail and all. Or you will get unlucky and get into a serious accident. You escaped so far doesn't mean it won't happen if you keep doing it.

As you said, you are a grown man, so you do what you think is best with your life. Just take a second to think about what you are doing and the potential consequences before you decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #59
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
The judge's father was a state patrol, and my attorney advised me this judge has a history of taking state patrol at their word without evidence. So I took the deal. I wasn't too happy about it and wanted to fight it 100%, but in the end I'm ok.
I've had my fair share of tickets a while back and to summarize "you are almost 99% guilty all the time and evidence doesn't really matter", especially in "minor" traffic cases. Perhaps some exceptions are serious cases where people got injured or killed. I still remember this case where I asked all the right questions, and officer had 0 evidence, but in the end the judge said "I appreciate your effort, but I don't think officer with xx years on the police force would lie...", so I got court supervision, a fine of only $75 and yeah court fees like $250)) And yes you can win eventually, but the cost and time would not be worth it.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #60
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
First story: you were doing 10 mph over. Take the fine. If you get arrested after evading the police and doing stunts, you'll have jail time. Think about it. Is it worth it?

Second story: whatever your rationale, you were doing 120 in a 55 zone. You admitted to being pulled many times. Again, one day you will not find an understanding LEO, and you will get the full reckless driving package with jail and all. Or you will get unlucky and get into a serious accident. You escaped so far doesn't mean it won't happen if you keep doing it.

As you said, you are a grown man, so you do what you think is best with your life. Just take a second to think about what you are doing and the potential consequences before you decide.
I appreciate your logic and I can't say that I disagree with you. As an adult, I put quite a bit of thought into what I do well before I act these days.

I see you are in TN. Which area/region?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #61
TLAF
Registered
Rep

Drives: Pending 2009 BMW M6

damn that sucks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #62
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The speed limits are unreasonably low in Canada. I drove to Toronto a couple weeks ago and was mostly doing 130 kph tops. Really makes it hard to get anywhere.

I can sort of understand a 100 kph limit around Toronto but in the middle of nowhere of ON it should be higher.
I drove to Toronto many times from Detroit border and I agree, speed limit is ridiculously low and hence I got caught number of times. My biggest ticket was doing 240km on 100km zone. Was let go with a ticket with $1000 fine and date/time for trial. He would have taken me to jail if I wasn't a US citizen according to OPP
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #63
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:

lol one would think thats logical.

unfortunately lawyers need to stay in courts good graces. so the only good defense you getting is yourself. its quite sad. If they didn't have your speed and you go to trail...unravel their case...your attorney will get one victory....but lose all HIS plea bargaining power for other offenders. Its a metrics game...isnt everything tho
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #64
Bluer2
Captain
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

god damn each pixel is as big as the cars. Video is from 1988 huh?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #65
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Those 2 drivers definitely deserved it; probably racing through traffic. I regularly speed in California, doing about 10-15 over on the freeways--unless there is a rookie CHP officer really being uptight about it, you're usually good. They like to get the asshole drivers weaving in and out of traffic and stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #66
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtt View Post
I drove to Toronto many times from Detroit border and I agree, speed limit is ridiculously low and hence I got caught number of times. My biggest ticket was doing 240km on 100km zone. Was let go with a ticket with $1000 fine and date/time for trial. He would have taken me to jail if I wasn't a US citizen according to OPP
Weirdly enough I didn't see a single cop driving there or back.

They have signs on the side stating the fines for certain speeds. That spooked me enough to keep it below 130.
Appreciate 0