New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #67
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I deal with this daily. Plus having to explain that receiving department is receiving for us, not for them; they pick up in shipping and drop off in receiving. They can not figure this out. Also, communication, most do not speak English now.
Imagine how much worse its going to get when we start "graduating" a bunch of kids who slept through a year of online school. LOL.

Will be interesting to see if there's a general down-turn in SAT and other test scores as these kids work their way through the system. Chances are high that we've just created a slightly dumber generation.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #68
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Imagine how much worse its going to get when we start "graduating" a bunch of kids who slept through a year of online school. LOL.

Will be interesting to see if there's a general down-turn in SAT and other test scores as these kids work their way through the system. Chances are high that we've just created a slightly dumber generation.
I've thought about this as well. If we leave current standards where they are, very few will make the cut. The standard will no longer be the measuring stick. Lower the standard to accommodate the majority.

Even scarier thought....these are the people that will be in charge when we are old(er).
Appreciate 3
      10-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #69
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Do you have to deal with driver illiteracy? I've seen over-the-road teams where one of the drivers could not read, and the only way that they could earn a living was to be paired with a driver who could read. Losing the literate driver could take the illiterate one out of the workforce as well.....
A little astray from the OP, but when I worked with inner city Detroit residents I learned that there was a very high adult illiteracy rate (40% comes to mind), yet many were “functional illiterates” meaning they could do most things fine without reading. For example, colors of stop lights, shape of stop, yield, and other signs, and other cues and consistencies allowed them to get through life just fine.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      10-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #70
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Hot wings.

Two of my favorite joints are just flat out of wings when I go in. The other (and probably the best place in town) has them but the prices have White-Out over them with a hand-written new price that's pretty much 35-40% higher for the same old wings.

The same place can't hold staff, so the hot wings get to your table as cold wings.

Because the hot wings are now cold wings and you have to pay 40% more for the pleasure, a once 75%+ occupied place is now generally 10% occupied. They're probably next on the chopping block after they wipe the blood off of the last restaurant.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #71
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Will be interesting to see if there's a general down-turn in SAT and other test scores as these kids work their way through the system.
The SAT will probably not be around by then. Many colleges/universities are going to test-optional admissions.....
King Rudi13152.00
      10-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #72
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The SAT will probably not be around by then. Many colleges/universities are going to test-optional admissions.....
it's truly happening...

Appreciate 4
2000cs3450.00
vreihen1614906.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #73
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Even scarier thought....these are the people that will be in charge when we are old(er).
You guys sound like Richard "Dick" Vernon in the Breakfast Club LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #74
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Neener neener neener
Not sure who hacked my account
Attached Images

hubbahubba8710.00
      10-13-2021, 12:08 AM   #75
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

One thing that doesn't appear to be in short supply is legal work. I don't think I've worked less than a 60 hour week since March 2020. We're understaffed, overworked, and cannot find good people to fill any roles. To make things worse, people are quitting because of the insane work loads so it's blowing back on all of us still remaining. I get up every morning around 7:30AM, and generally work until 10-11PM each night. My only breaks during the day are for workouts, I still keep up the usual 2-3 hours a day of physical fitness I always have. I have a gym in the basement of my house with a work station, so I work/keep an eye on things in between sets. I also get outside for plenty of Vitamin D whether it be basketball or just to jump rope for an over. Being a manager I'm also CCd on nearly every communication which goes through my division, I routinely read between around 1k emails each day in addition to all else. Every day blends to the next, I often lose track of what day of the week it is. I carried over three weeks of vacation time and all sick days from 2020 to 2021, and now I have even more. I'll never be able to use all that time so I'll likely be forced to donate most at the end of the year.

I love to work, and I'm not complaining. Pay has gone up nicely, and the job is wonderful with fantastic people. I'm also remote so the vax mandates won't apply to me, OSHA doesn't extend to a private residence so I'm safe from that jazz while many unfortunately are not. I count myself as very fortunate compared to what others are going through. The stress must be unimaginable for them.

I am human however, and it's starting to get very tiresome. My life has always been ruled by routine, but even those routines are starting to get old.

Good luck to all.

To keep it thread related, my local BMW dealer's lot looks like an abandoned mall's parking lot right now. It's bad.
Appreciate 7
Kilabyte3942.00
f8xdct158.00
shiftdnb376.50
King Rudi13152.00
2000cs3450.00
JP102462.00
540iSUP703.00
      10-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #76
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You guys sound like Richard "Dick" Vernon in the Breakfast Club LOL
What was all that ruckus???
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #77
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
One thing that doesn't appear to be in short supply is legal work. I don't think I've worked less than a 60 hour week since March 2020. We're understaffed, overworked, and cannot find good people to fill any roles. To make things worse, people are quitting because of the insane work loads so it's blowing back on all of us still remaining. I get up every morning around 7:30AM, and generally work until 10-11PM each night. My only breaks during the day are for workouts, I still keep up the usual 2-3 hours a day of physical fitness I always have. I have a gym in the basement of my house with a work station, so I work/keep an eye on things in between sets. I also get outside for plenty of Vitamin D whether it be basketball or just to jump rope for an over. Being a manager I'm also CCd on nearly every communication which goes through my division, I routinely read between around 1k emails each day in addition to all else. Every day blends to the next, I often lose track of what day of the week it is. I carried over three weeks of vacation time and all sick days from 2020 to 2021, and now I have even more. I'll never be able to use all that time so I'll likely be forced to donate most at the end of the year.

I love to work, and I'm not complaining. Pay has gone up nicely, and the job is wonderful with fantastic people. I'm also remote so the vax mandates won't apply to me, OSHA doesn't extend to a private residence so I'm safe from that jazz while many unfortunately are not. I count myself as very fortunate compared to what others are going through. The stress must be unimaginable for them.

I am human however, and it's starting to get very tiresome. My life has always been ruled by routine, but even those routines are starting to get old.

Good luck to all.

To keep it thread related, my local BMW dealer's lot looks like an abandoned mall's parking lot right now. It's bad.
Your first paragraph seems to hold true in damn near every industry at the moment. I can honestly say that I feel you. Over-worked, over-extended, under-appreciated and about to snap. No time for anything other than doing things for other people that don't appreciate it. My only vice is the gym and even that is getting to where I don't enjoy it as I have to rush through my workouts now. As frustrating as everything is, the small pleasures like being able to reward yourself for a milestone is getting almost impossible. Seems like the vast majority of workers, true workers....are simply weathering the storm.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17356.00
540iSUP703.00
      10-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #78
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:

Good luck to all.

Do you find you miss the human interaction of an office or have you been remote prior?
My career I could not work remotely but coming to the office every day is truly socialization for me. I love my crew and I love seeing customers but I'm worn out too. Up at 5:30am home by 5:30pm eat, TV, sleep repeat.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #79
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

Boston MA:
Bacon ($10.99/lb)
Gas ($4/gal)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #80
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Do you find you miss the human interaction of an office or have you been remote prior?
My career I could not work remotely but coming to the office every day is truly socialization for me. I love my crew and I love seeing customers but I'm worn out too. Up at 5:30am home by 5:30pm eat, TV, sleep repeat.
I was remote for many years, but did begin to miss the interaction so took a dream job managing an office in Miami Florida. It was glorious for the four months I was there until March 2020 when we shut the office down for “two weeks”. The shutdown wound up being permanent so I came back to St. Louis and have been remote ever since. The company is killing it as they no longer have physical offices and I’ve been told there are no plans to ever open a physical office again. I’m planning on moving back to Miami in a month or so, just get a nice two bedroom with a seven month lease and see how it goes while keeping the house here in STL. I’m SO lucky I didn’t sell the house in 2020, my decision to wait a year was a good one.

My worry is this is all great temporarily, but with so many office buildings now vacant how long until we have a crash like 2008 but this time involving commercial real estate? I don’t see how this can continue without a massive correction.

Best of luck to you, hang in there.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      10-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #81
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Best of luck to you, hang in there.
Good move on waiting!
I'm good, been doing this 25 years with lots of ups and downs, I'm all for the chaos and busy times if the workforce starts to come back around.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17356.00
      10-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #82
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:

Good luck to all.

I feel this to my core. Then my wife complaining that I'm working too much when literally no one else (in the company) can perform my work load at a rate efficient enough to meet deadlines. I haven't eaten a proper 3 meals in a single day for well over 3 weeks and my alcohol consumption has spiked, I may die at this rate lol. All I know is my bonus is going to be through the roof and about to get a promotion and raise, keep wondering if it's worth it (definitely is, but still haha).

Last edited by JP10; 10-13-2021 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
NickyC17356.00
      10-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #83
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Good luck to all.

This isn't living. No matter how healthy you are physically, at some point a continuous work load like this will take you down. I'm all about making money and doing well but what's the threshold or where is the balance? I don't know what the answer is but as Americans we love to be busy and share with others how busy we are. Why? It's become a viscous cycle. This has been on my mind a lot lately.

I'll be interested to see how you like it in Miami this time. I always thought I would love living down there because we are huge boaters and that's a great place. The last few times we were down there I didn't love it as much as I used to.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
NickyC17356.00
      10-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #84
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
This isn't living. No matter how healthy you are physically, at some point a continuous work load like this will take you down. I'm all about making money and doing well but what's the threshold or where is the balance? I don't know what the answer is but as Americans we love to be busy and share with others how busy we are. Why? It's become a viscous cycle. This has been on my mind a lot lately.

I'll be interested to see how you like it in Miami this time. I always thought I would love living down there because we are huge boaters and that's a great place. The last few times we were down there I didn't love it as much as I used to.
I couldn't agree more. That's an insane work load and "lifestyle"? I mean 1k e-mails a day plus?? I'd rather make less money and have more time to enjoy life. I realize NickyC didn't choose that sort of workload due to various reasons beyond his control, but damn.

Regardless, mental health is important no matter how strong physically you may be. Good luck to all!
Appreciate 2
NickyC17356.00
540iSUP703.00
      10-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #85
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post

I always envied the Europeans for their long lunches and abundant "holidays" yet I take a few days off and dont truly know how to relax anymore. Its insane what we as a culture have done to our well being.

As for Miami, my wife and I would travel to Miami a few times a year. We thought once we moved to Florida we would go even more. Being 3 hours away, it seemed like a recipe for long weekends. We have been once in 6 years and now enjoy the Gulf so much more....just my $.02, I know you're familiar with this area too
Appreciate 2
NickyC17356.00
rebekahb3128.50
      10-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #86
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

10 bucks for six rolls of toilet paper!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #87
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Similar work story here. My work workload had progressively gotten larger and larger even before COVID. I support property acquisition and mergers and acquisitions which has been insane since June 2020. In August, I decided something had to change. I voluntarily went to 32 hours a week, thus taking a 20% pay cut. Instead of working 55+ hours a week, I now work 32-36 hours and I'm getting to that real 32 hour work week. My wife's personal business has taken off in the past year, helping offset some of my pay cut. We're all happier in my family. Best decision I ever made.
NickyC17356.00
Tommy-G4467.00
540iSUP703.00
      10-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #88
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Entry level hiring is a complete and utter shit show. Even before covid the market was super tight, now it is a debacle. It is worse in the US than Canada but still, Canada not great either.

The amount of people in the USA who are dead set, i dunno how to put this, just slow man, really, really slow. It's like they've not been educated, it's weird.

We are starting to look offshore, this is crazy.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17356.00