New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Warm up the oil and run self diagnostics. Alarm if it fails to start (like a dead battery or worse). Could probably do it in 5 minutes in some climates; but that’s how they set them at the factory I think.
This.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Yes, I know about the automatic switch. I can install it, just extra labor for me. There is one here already, I would need to take it out and rewire (it wouldn't work with Generac). With automatic switch you loose the convenience of powering circuits that you want. I can pretty much run the entire house on 7.5kw. All appliances are energy-efficient and everything is gas. Basically microwave is 1.7kw, dryer is 5kw, and probably another 5kw for AC, everything else is nothing
Per what I said in my post, if you want to run the dryer and the A/C, you'll need a load center for each of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #25
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-...6998/306235149

I dont even need that transfer switch if it can run manually
NG is actually only 6kw. 7kw NG models are $2.8k0
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #26
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
My parents have a full house Generac natural gas. You don't even have to think about it. Why have to screw around fueling it up when you need it.
This. Parents have the 15kW powered by LP. It's a no brainer!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know about the automatic switch. I can install it, just extra labor for me. There is one here already, I would need to take it out and rewire (it wouldn't work with Generac). With automatic switch you loose the convenience of powering circuits that you want. I can pretty much run the entire house on 7.5kw. All appliances are energy-efficient and everything is gas. Basically microwave is 1.7kw, dryer is 5kw, and probably another 5kw for AC, everything else is nothing
An automatic transfer switch does not preclude you from selecting which circuits you want powered. You just have to wire for it. My electrician would have used an automatic transfer switch regardless of if I chose to power my entire house or just a certain number of circuits.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3447.00
      08-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #28
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Well I spoke to people who live in neighborhood and apparently they don't loose power here often. My guess is roughly the same as my previous residence....few times a year max and for only few hours. Even if its few days, probably whole house is gonna be a waste of money. I think I'll wait this year and see what happens. Will buy 7.5kw portable

As far as diesel go, they are all very expensive, more then natural gas. Am I missing something, perhaps someone makes relatively cheap ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #29
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
If your going to do any work, please try to follow local codes for safety of yours and your family and your neighbors.
The gas line must be buried below freezing point, which is 3ft.
I believe for generator, you must use rigid pipe, not flex pipe.
Also you need to account for all of the gas appliances you have at the house, your gas line may not have capacity to fire up generator. there should be seperate gas line with shut off inside of the property and shutoff by the generator. do not tee off nearest gas line.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
If your going to do any work, please try to follow local codes for safety of yours and your family and your neighbors.
The gas line must be buried below freezing point, which is 3ft.
I believe for generator, you must use rigid pipe, not flex pipe.
Also you need to account for all of the gas appliances you have at the house, your gas line may not have capacity to fire up generator. there should be seperate gas line with shut off inside of the property and shutoff by the generator. do not tee off nearest gas line.
I guess it's local code related. My contractor used a flex line through my house but went rigid on the outside.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50
      08-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Here are pics of my setup:

Transfer switch:

Load center:
Appreciate 4
nyalpine907384.50
upstatedoc7555.50
MKSixer34171.50
      08-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Forgot to add as I look at the pics. My electrician added two grounding rods. You can see one next to the generator. The other is off of my main service panel.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      08-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #33
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Well I spoke to people who live in neighborhood and apparently they don't loose power here often. My guess is roughly the same as my previous residence....few times a year max and for only few hours. Even if its few days, probably whole house is gonna be a waste of money. I think I'll wait this year and see what happens. Will buy 7.5kw portable

As far as diesel go, they are all very expensive, more then natural gas. Am I missing something, perhaps someone makes relatively cheap ones?
At a few times a year max and only for a few hours each time, I am wondering what the estimate is for the total cost for the portable generator, wired, and what it will be able to operate (assuming A/C/furnace and refrigerator are the most critical?). Then there is some amount of maintenance and refueling hassle? I don't have a generator and have few outages but wonder if the price is worth it compared to being in the dark a few hours a year (with a chance it happens when I am gone or in decent weather).
      08-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #34
smyles
Major
Rep

Drives: '21 X5

Ironically, we've lost power in my hood for ~1 hour this morning. So few generators of various flavors were running around. My personal opinion - they all suck, as even the full house ones are still loud enough to be annoying.

Frankly speaking, if I was to invest $$, I'd go with a power-wall type battery setup, with or w/o solar, big enough to supply the house for a day or two, probably w/o A/C. This would cover 99% of situations, run the lights, fridge, and a portable a/c if really needed. A Sandy-like scenario is just so unlikely in my area to justify a doomsday setup, and likely would prompt alternative solutions like going to a hotel or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #35
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

I've got a 30kW Caterpillar Diesel Generator for sale if you're interested
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #36
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Ironically, we've lost power in my hood for ~1 hour this morning. So few generators of various flavors were running around. My personal opinion - they all suck, as even the full house ones are still loud enough to be annoying.

Frankly speaking, if I was to invest $$, I'd go with a power-wall type battery setup, with or w/o solar, big enough to supply the house for a day or two, probably w/o A/C. This would cover 99% of situations, run the lights, fridge, and a portable a/c if really needed. A Sandy-like scenario is just so unlikely in my area to justify a doomsday setup, and likely would prompt alternative solutions like going to a hotel or whatever.
We're in the same area. I used Sandy as one of the major outages I've had. But also there was the deracho (or however you spell it). That took out power too. The power grid in my area has been pretty stable of the past few years other than those events. When I first moved in, the power kept cutting in and out due to all the new homes being thrown up.

But a few months ago I experienced a totally different power situation. It took me a awhile to figure out what was going on. The power company was feeding TOO much power to all the homes in the area. It took them hours to sort the problem out. How I found out something was wrong was when my UPS' for my data center went into battery mode to protect everything behind it from the over voltage. Also all the lights in my home were super bright during this period. I measured the voltage at each of the power rails and got 140V. In retrospect, I should have manually cut over to my generator as I now don't know what the long term affects of all that over voltage will do to all the electrical stuff that was not behind my UPS'.

As far as the noise issue of the generators, yes, the Generac I have is pretty noisy. If you want quiet, I heard the Kohler generators are pretty quiet but more expensive. And frankly, the noise from my generator is just a bit louder than a big lawn mower.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #37
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

zx10guy so that set up powers the whole house like nothing happened? is it natural gas? what's the $$$
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #38
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
zx10guy so that set up powers the whole house like nothing happened? is it natural gas? what's the $$$
He said $16K installed in a previous post.

20kw will get you everything you need but ability to power whole house depends on what it will be running. We have 2 central ac units. If I recall, a 20kw standby would not run both of those concurrently plus 2 water heaters, fridge, stove, washer / dryer, etc. like you can without an outage. But it would run plenty to be comfortable. The issue I had aside from initial investment was that I came up with something like $1k / week in propane to run it hard for a week (and this was 10+ years ago). And if I was gonna invest in it, I didn’t want to worry about cost of running it because it only made sense to invest in it if we were gonna run it when we needed it. Natural gas is a better choice, but we don’t have it available.
      08-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #39
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Yes without issue. See my initial post in this thread on page 1. During load testing after everything was installed, they fired up the generator and then fired up the A/C and dryer. The generator handled the initial power draw spike without issue. They ran both for a few minutes before shutting down the test.

The cut over is pretty quick to the generator. Takes a few seconds for the generator to fire up automatically and then the power switched over. If you have sensitive electronics you keep running 24/7, throw a UPS on it to keep the devices going in that interim cut over period. I literally have a data center in my basement with servers, storage, and network equipment. I have a 6kVA and a 1.5kVA UPS on the equipment.

Another thing for you all to consider which I just thought of is to look at the harmonic distortion rating of the generator. If this is powering anything electronic, you want a generator which has low distortion. What I've seen is the large generators have met this spec but the smaller ones are where you really have to pay attention. My 20kW Generac is electronics safe.

Cost wise, Rick's post below is correct. I paid about $16k. About $400 to $500 of that was due to a new gas meter I needed to have installed. That was charged by the local utility. I also needed to have a new gas line installed from the meter to the generator as they are on opposite sides of the house. So the cost could be $1k or so cheaper if those things were not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
He said $16K installed in a previous post.

20kw will get you everything you need but ability to power whole house depends on what it will be running. We have 2 central ac units. If I recall, a 20kw standby would not run both of those concurrently plus 2 water heaters, fridge, stove, washer / dryer, etc. like you can without an outage. But it would run plenty to be comfortable. The issue I had aside from initial investment was that I came up with something like $1k / week in propane to run it hard for a week (and this was 10+ years ago). And if I was gonna invest in it, I didn’t want to worry about cost of running it because it only made sense to invest in it if we were gonna run it when we needed it. Natural gas is a better choice, but we don’t have it available.
Yeah. I hardly notice the cost of just running the generator for 15 minutes every week for a year on my natural gas bill. My vacation home is on propane and if I do a generator there, it will be a portable one running on just pump gas to just keep the frig going and other miscellaneous things.The propane costs are ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #40
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
My gasoline-powered portable is getting a workout tonight. Tropical Storm E-I-E-I-O knocked out the power all over the area, and (ironically) our power company's HQ is 100% offline due to a power or Internet problem. No working cell phone app, web site, or phone line to call in the outage.

Me thinks that I see a diesel generator in my future.....
      08-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #41
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Yeah some people in my town lost power today, we are ok.

Another thing I see now are natural gas conversion kits for portable gas powered generators

Edit: I think I made my pick. Gonna get dual fuel portable 7.5k for roughly $1k and run it on propane. Don't need to do any rewiring, everything is done. 40lb propane tank or 2 and call it a day

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 08-04-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #42
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Ironically, I just got a quote on a 22W Generac whole house generator. I have natural gas. Unit plus install is $11,500. And now power is out from this storm! We got hit pretty hard here in LI and nobody has power. I can hear all my neighbor's generators going on all night which is killing me! I'm definitely doing this as I can't stand not having power. With potentially more storms and the winter coming up, I think it will be a worthwhile investment.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15575.00
      08-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #43
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Ironically, I just got a quote on a 22W Generac whole house generator. I have natural gas. Unit plus install is $11,500. And now power is out from this storm! We got hit pretty hard here in LI and nobody has power. I can hear all my neighbor's generators going on all night which is killing me! I'm definitely doing this as I can't stand not having power. With potentially more storms and the winter coming up, I think it will be a worthwhile investment.
$11.5 for 22kw sounds great. Hope you get your power back soon!
Haywood3098.50
      08-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #44
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Its not that common to loose power here. Like I said, last year was the first time I actually knew someone who lost power for a week. I personally was never affected by power loss in past 25 years, or at least I dont remember.
Appreciate 0