New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-31-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

Who's been to Eleuthera, Bahamas?

My wife and I, and three other couples, are heading to Eleuthera next week. We are staying in a large villa for 8 days and will be doing lots of exploring.

Anyone else been there and can share recommendations? We have one excursion planned for an all day boat ride doing island hopping. Other than that our days are pretty wide open. Would love to hear from anyone on here that has visited.

- Joe
      02-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #2
HappynHealthy
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2019 Audi Q5

Definitely head over to Harbor Island! 6 of us spent the day after xmas thru New Years eve of 2022 there. People are awesome and very helpful - motor on in to the " city-dock" and rent yourselves Golf Carts. There are 100's of them! For an island only 3 1/2 miles long.
Turn right on the street where the dock ends and head down to a Kool on the water Bar/ restaurant and places for the women to shop!

The opposite side of the island has all the gorgeous beaches!
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2040.50
      02-07-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappynHealthy View Post
Definitely head over to Harbor Island! 6 of us spent the day after xmas thru New Years eve of 2022 there. People are awesome and very helpful - motor on in to the " city-dock" and rent yourselves Golf Carts. There are 100's of them! For an island only 3 1/2 miles long.
Turn right on the street where the dock ends and head down to a Kool on the water Bar/ restaurant and places for the women to shop!

The opposite side of the island has all the gorgeous beaches!
Good idea! That was not on our list of things to do. We will check it out.

Did you do any exploring on Eluethera island itself or just Harbor Island?
      02-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
HappynHealthy
Registered
Rep

Just Harbor island - we rented golf carts from: Michael Higgs. Call ahead or even text and he will have them ready for you at the dock. Cell#
242-464-0994

Coral Sands hotel has an awesome restaurant on the beach

Valentine's resort and marina is the Bar/restaurant I mentioned above which is to the right a couple of blocks from the city dock

We found the best food at Tingum Village - Ma Ruby's is the restaurant name - a jimmy buffet kind of place
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2040.50
      02-07-2023, 10:12 AM   #5
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Retired

My wife and I stayed in North Eleuthera back in 2018. It was a fantastic vacation. A few random notes:

1. I highly recommend visiting French Leave Beach. The pink sand is absolutely gorgeous.
2. Gregory Town is said to grow the best (sweetest) pineapples in the world. If you're driving through, stop by one of the stands to enjoy the pineapple.
3. As others have mentioned, rent a golf cart if you can, it's the way to go!
4. Visit the Glass Window Bridge and take in the beauty of the dark blue Atlantic Ocean on one side and the calm turquoise Caribbean Sea on the other. It really is a sight! My wife and I took an awesome picture there.
      02-07-2023, 10:19 AM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just Harbor island - we rented golf carts from: Michael Higgs. Call ahead or even text and he will have them ready for you at the dock. Cell#
242-464-0994

Valentine's resort and marina is the Bar/restaurant I mentioned above which is to the right a couple of blocks from the city dock

We found the best food at Tingum Village - Ma Ruby's is the restaurant name - a jimmy buffet kind of place
Sweet. I saved Michael's number. Thank you!
      02-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
4. Visit the Glass Window Bridge and take in the beauty of the dark blue Atlantic Ocean on one side and the calm turquoise Caribbean Sea on the other. It really is a sight! My wife and I took an awesome picture there.
I just googled this....thats wild!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My wife and I stayed in North Eleuthera back in 2018. It was a fantastic vacation. A few random notes:

1. I highly recommend visiting French Leave Beach. The pink sand is absolutely gorgeous.
2. Gregory Town is said to grow the best (sweetest) pineapples in the world. If you're driving through, stop by one of the stands to enjoy the pineapple.
Glad you had a good experience. We are definitely stopping at the glass window bridge as we have to drive through it to get to our condo. It looks like such a cool place; barely any people and 100 mile long island from top to bottom.
      02-14-2023, 05:16 AM   #9
ToryRutter
Registered
Rep

Drives: Honda CTR

I'm pleased to realise that the abundance of information in this post will be very helpful to me. I always like reading well-written articles, which is what I did with your piece. I thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
242-464-0994

Got back from Eleuthera last night. We ventured all over the main island, and we were able to go boating around Harbour Island one day on an excursion. Ran out of time to set foot there though. Harbour Island appears to be where all the money is in Eleuthera. Compared to other tropical vacations Eleuthera was the most unique experience. From the airport, to the driving, restaurants, etc. Some of the most amazing beaches I have ever seen but then there were many moments where I felt like I was in a 3rd world country.
Clark_Kent2227.50
      02-18-2023, 12:37 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No luck on finding pineapples when we were there. Must have been out of season. The glass window bridge was really cool and we drove past it a few times, stopping a couple times for photos. French Leave beach was gorgeous, and it was one of many beaches we experienced that were incredible. What an interesting place.
Clark_Kent2227.50
      02-18-2023, 08:15 PM   #12
HappynHealthy
Registered
Rep

Glad you had a great time! An amazing part of the world. Harbour island does have local poverty and chickens running all over the place. Was kinda Kool to hear them in the morning hours. Its on our bucket list to go back. Where did you leave from and did you fly into Eleuthera or Nassau?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 06:17 PM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
My wife and I, and three other couples, are heading to Eleuthera next week. We are staying in a large villa for 8 days and will be doing lots of exploring.

Anyone else been there and can share recommendations? We have one excursion planned for an all day boat ride doing island hopping. Other than that our days are pretty wide open. Would love to hear from anyone on here that has visited.

- Joe
Was your villa an airbnb or a hotel? Seems like all the hotels are insanely expensive...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 09:03 AM   #14
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Was your villa an airbnb or a hotel? Seems like all the hotels are insanely expensive...
We stayed at a villa we found through VRBO. There were 8 of us so was easier to spread out the cost. It was a 4 bedroom and was about 900/night after fees and taxes. Overall everything is pretty pricey there.
      02-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #15
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad you had a great time! An amazing part of the world. Harbour island does have local poverty and chickens running all over the place. Was kinda Kool to hear them in the morning hours. Its on our bucket list to go back. Where did you leave from and did you fly into Eleuthera or Nassau?
We live in Minneapolis. To get there we connected in Miami then hopped straight to Eleuthera. On the way back we stopped in Atlanta then straight home. Pretty convenient flight logistics.