New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #573
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Wow read is almost or about doubled. write isn't crazy bad but most of the time we read. Thanks! now I might get the 256, ive read nothing but good things about it on here. Other than the slight face recognition part.
Actually if you watch the video at the bottom it says the scores are swapped so it is the write speed that is almost double.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #574
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post

Should have numbers there as well. The difference may not be much in actual usage depends on what you're doing and what apps you use.
As someone with the faster version (256gb), I doubt this difference will ever be even slightly a hint of noticable outside of running benchmarks.
There was a video with the iPhone 7 large capacity vs the smallest one on CNET with Brian Tong that showed a significant difference for certain tasks that weren't necessarily uncommon for the everyday user. Might be worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #575
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Bought a SIM free model and I’m happy with it. Face ID is great, using apps are faster, UI is faster overall compared to using Touch ID. Bought the 256gb because it’s only $150 more. Sold my factory unlocked iPhone 6 Plus for $300.
      01-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #576
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Bought a SIM free model and I’m happy with it. Face ID is great, using apps are faster, UI is faster overall compared to using Touch ID. Bought the 256gb because it’s only $150 more. Sold my factory unlocked iPhone 6 Plus for $300.
Yeah I sold out and bought the unlocked 256GB one. I like it so far, my unlocked 6 looks brand new after pulling it out of the case lol. Debating to sell it, I did buy Apple care as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #577
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Wait for the iPhone xi plus.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #578
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Wait for the iPhone xi plus.
Dang going to be a lot of screen lol. I've always liked the size of the 6 and it now being full screen is awesome. XL I'd have to always use 2 hands to avoid fear of dropping lol
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #579
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Now looking into the "driver cubby" wireless charging retro ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #580
Lowflight
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I got the X. I go 3-4 years between phones. I am pleased thus far.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #581
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

No, since Apple Is said to discontinue the X once the 2018 lineup is introduced.

Last edited by EyeGuy; 01-23-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #582
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
No, since Apple Is said to discontinue the X once the 2018 lineup is introduced.
This is nothing new, they replace every phone after a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #583
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes new, if it is completely discontinued and not offered at a discount once newer model comes out. 😉

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....-iphone-x/amp/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #584
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes new, if it is completely discontinued and not offered at a discount once newer model comes out. 😉

5C was that way. Wasn't the 7 too?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #585
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes new, if it is completely discontinued and not offered at a discount once newer model comes out. ��

First of all:

Quote:
Cuthbertson’s only source is AppleInsider’s summary of Ming-Chi Kuo’s report — and he’s drawing conclusions that simply weren’t in the original. Cuthbertson is laying out a scenario where Apple stops selling the iPhone X this summer, months before new models are announced in September. That would indeed be a sensational — downright humiliating — setback for Apple. But there’s no way that’s going to happen, and it’s also not what AppleInsider says Kuo expects. What Kuo said is that Apple might stop producing new iPhone X units once they’ve made enough to keep shelves stocked until September. Kuo does suggest that this might be because sales of the iPhone X are disappointing (particularly in China), but Kuo’s record is only good regarding what is going on in Apple’s Asian supply chain, not why. If Kuo is correct that the iPhone X will be dropped from next year’s iPhone lineup, I don’t think the reason has anything to do with how well it sold.

Also, even if it’s true that Apple will “only” sell 18 million iPhone X units in the first calendar quarter of 2018, you have to put that in context with the fact that the iPhone X debuted alongside the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which had the features, design, and prices of what in any previous year would have been the top-tier new iPhones.

Everything about Cuthbertson’s report — starting with that headline, which arguably is all that matters for a publication like today’s Newsweek, which is, I would bet, hopelessly dependent upon social media traffic and utterly disdainful of the notion of building up a wellspring of trust with a devoted readership — seems written to paint a picture of the iPhone X being a sales failure, facts be damned, and nothing about it — not a single sentence — seems geared toward giving the reader an accurate, genuine understanding of what’s actually going on with sales of the current iPhone lineup.
Aka... you feel for a click bait "article"

That said, this would also not be the first time, were it true:

iPhone 1 got discontinued after the first year. Must have been a flop :P
(when the 3G went on sale, you could no longer buy the 1)

iPhone 5 got replaced after the first year.
(when the 5S went on sale, the next tier down was the 5C-- not the 5)

Nor should it be surprising that Apple would need to make design changes to get the X feature set to the lower price point of normal iPhones. They stated at launch that the X is what the iPhone of the future will be-- but clearly they need to get that price point down to a place the (high end of the) masses can afford.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      01-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #586
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
When the 5s went on sale, you could still buy the 5 at a discounted price from retailers. This is not what is predicted for the future of X sales. I guess only time will tell. And the article you posted is just another person drawing conclusions.
You could buy leftover new stock-- Apple did not continue to make them. That's true of every product.

The article you posted took rumors, then made stuff up to draw weird conclusions. The article I posted recapped what the actual rumors were.

I'll post it all, to paint a fuller picture:

Quote:
On Rumors of the iPhone X Being Produced for Only One Year
Monday, 22 January 2018
Mike Wuerthele, writing for AppleInsider (headline: “If iPhone X Demand Is Less Than Expected, Analyst Expects It to Be ‘End of Life’ When Replacements Ship”):

Quote:
In a research note seen by AppleInsider, KGI securities believes that Apple will ship around 18 million of the iPhone X in the first calendar quarter of 2018. Contrary to other predictions based on the supply chain, KGI says that the iPhone X has not been as impactful in China as predicted because of the notch holding the sensors for the device, giving consumers the impression that there is less usable space than on the iPhone 8 Plus.

KGI also expects a trio of iPhone models in the fall of 2018. He predicts the iPhone X will be “end of life” in the summer of 2018, instead of being retained as a lower-cost option in the following year. If this is the case, it would be the first time that Apple has not retained the previous year’s model to allow for a wide range of iPhones available at many price points.
This would not be the first time an iPhone flagship model didn’t stick around for a second year. In 2013, Apple introduced the iPhone 5S to replace the iPhone 5, and also introduced the iPhone 5C to occupy the second pricing tier. The iPhone 5 was dropped from the product line when the 5S and 5C debuted. (1)

That had nothing to do with the iPhone 5 being unpopular. I think Apple simply wanted a clear distinction between the top-tier and second-tier models. If this rumor is true about this year’s upcoming new lineup — if — I think the exact same logic stands. I think it’s also the case that it’s not just about what the iPhone X looks like, but how difficult (and therefore expensive) it is to produce — the OLED displays in particular. (That almost certainly also factored into the decision to use the plastic-bodied iPhone 5C as the second-tier model, rather than keep the iPhone 5 around for a second year: the iPhone 5 was the first unibody aluminum phone, and it was reportedly difficult to produce.)

It’s interesting news that the iPhone X might only be around for one year, to be sure (again, if true), but it’s not surprising in the least, and it’s of interest only for us obsessives who follow such things closely. Throw in some poor reading comprehension skills and sensationalist mendacity, though, and you get Anthony Cuthbertson’s report for the publication that today operates under the once-respected name Newsweek (headline: “Is Apple About to Cancel the iPhone X? Poor Sales Mean Device Faces ‘End of Life’”):

Quote:
When Apple CEO Tim Cook unveiled the iPhone X last September, he said the $999 device would “set the path of technology for the next decade.” But while its technological credentials may not be in question, a poor reception for Apple’s most expensive iPhone may mean it is forced to step off that path within a year of going on sale.

Rumors stemming from Apple analysts suggest that a reduction in orders means iPhone X production may cease as early as this summer, which would be the first time Apple has discontinued an iPhone before unveiling a new model.

A research note by analysts at KGI Securities, seen by Apple news site AppleInsider, estimated iPhone X shipments in the first quarter of 2018 were at around 18 million devices — a significant reduction on previous flagship iPhones.
Cuthbertson’s only source is AppleInsider’s summary of Ming-Chi Kuo’s report — and he’s drawing conclusions that simply weren’t in the original. Cuthbertson is laying out a scenario where Apple stops selling the iPhone X this summer, months before new models are announced in September. That would indeed be a sensational — downright humiliating — setback for Apple. But there’s no way that’s going to happen, and it’s also not what AppleInsider says Kuo expects. What Kuo said is that Apple might stop producing new iPhone X units once they’ve made enough to keep shelves stocked until September. Kuo does suggest that this might be because sales of the iPhone X are disappointing (particularly in China), but Kuo’s record is only good regarding what is going on in Apple’s Asian supply chain, not why. If Kuo is correct that the iPhone X will be dropped from next year’s iPhone lineup, I don’t think the reason has anything to do with how well it sold.

Also, even if it’s true that Apple will “only” sell 18 million iPhone X units in the first calendar quarter of 2018, you have to put that in context with the fact that the iPhone X debuted alongside the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which had the features, design, and prices of what in any previous year would have been the top-tier new iPhones.

Everything about Cuthbertson’s report — starting with that fucking headline, (2) which arguably is all that matters for a publication like today’s Newsweek, which is, I would bet, hopelessly dependent upon social media traffic and utterly disdainful of the notion of building up a wellspring of trust with a devoted readership — seems written to paint a picture of the iPhone X being a sales failure, facts be damned, and nothing about it — not a single sentence — seems geared toward giving the reader an accurate, genuine understanding of what’s actually going on with sales of the current iPhone lineup.

And don’t even get me started about the dreck that is well-known-dipstick Forbes “contributor” Gordon Kelly’s jacktastically headlined piece, “Apple Leak Reveals Sudden iPhone X Cancellation”. This piece isn’t even up to Forbes’s usual standard of at least being worth rolling up and using as a sex toy on short-fingered vulgarians.

1. The original iPhone should count, too. When the iPhone 3G debuted, Apple stopped selling the original iPhone. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it feels like it’s fair to say that the norm is for radically new iPhone form factors not to remain in the lineup at a lower price the next year. To my mind, the new iPhones that qualify as “radically new form factors” are: the original iPhone in 2007 (of course), the iPhone 4 in 2010 (first retina display, glass back, external antenna), the iPhone 5 in 2012 (aluminum unibody), and the iPhone X (OLED display, Face ID sensor array). I don’t think the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus qualify, because I’m talking about things that make a new iPhone design difficult and/or unusually expensive to manufacture and assemble — they looked different just because they were bigger, but I don’t think there was anything about them that made them more difficult to assemble than the iPhone 5/5S. Of those radically new iPhones, only one, the iPhone 4, hung around in the product lineup at a lower price after its successor debuted. That’s particularly humorous, given that the iPhone 4 was the iPhone with the most-publicized design “flaw” — the antenna that was subject to attenuation issues if, you know, you held it wrong. And the iPhone 4 suffered from what was inarguably the worst manufacturing problem in the entire history of the product: the white models shipped almost an entire year late. ↩︎︎

2. I put a lot of thought into getting my own headlines just right. ↩︎
Original: https://daringfireball.net/2018/01/iphone_x_one_year

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #587
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Retailers also discounted the 5 even before the replacement 5s and lower end model 5c were available. This would justify buying the 5 at the time. The x however doesn’t seem like a good buy right now or even when the replacements are expected by this summer at its current price point. So my reply to the thread topic, using the original article prediction, I think I will wait a few months to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #588
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Retailers also discounted the 5 even before the replacement 5s and lower end model 5c were available. This would justify buying the 5 at the time. The x however doesn’t seem like a good buy right now or even when the replacements are expected by this summer at its current price point. So my reply to the thread topic, using the original article prediction, I think I will wait a few months to see what happens.
yes, that's how previous generation stock is cleared-- again nothing unusual or exceptional.

I think it's reasonable to expect new iPhones in September, since that's when all semi recent history iPhone launches, other than the supply constrained X, have occurred. I would expect the X to be updated or replaced at that time.

That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who remotely follows Apple's iPhone launch schedule.

The "article" (clickbait piece trying to incite FUD) you posted remains crap.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #589
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
yes, that's how previous generation stock is cleared-- again nothing unusual or exceptional.

I think it's reasonable to expect new iPhones in September, since that's when all semi recent history iPhone launches, other than the supply constrained X, have occurred. I would expect the X to be updated or replaced at that time.

That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who remotely follows Apple's iPhone launch schedule.

The "article" (clickbait piece trying to incite FUD) you posted remains crap.
Yes but that is not what they are supposedly doing to clear the iPhone X stock. They will be keeping the price the same. The “clickbait” crap price you dislike so much is as much as someone takes from it. It is also predicting the longevity of availability of the device. I can still purchase the iPhone 6s from the Apple store currently.
If the x was discounted and not said to be discontinued in the upcoming months prior to the replacement release, i would consider it. At this time I see no need to purchase the x.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #590
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes but that is not what they are supposedly doing to clear the iPhone X stock. They will be keeping the price the same. The “clickbait” crap price you dislike so much is as much as someone takes from it. It is also predicting the longevity of availability of the device. I can still purchase the iPhone 6s from the Apple store currently.
If the x was discounted and not said to be discontinued in the upcoming months prior to the replacement release, i would consider it. At this time I see no need to purchase the x.
Longevity, to me, means the expected service life of a product-- separate and unrelated to how long they sell it for.

Beyond that, your "article" says they may (rumors) discontinue production after they calculate they have enough supply to take them through till the end of its cycle (september). That sounds like something they do for every iPhone changeover, as they always have millions upon millions of them ready on launch day-- production never has and never will change over, for any product, on launch day.

I also can't imagine basing my phone purchase on saving a couple hundred dollars every couple years. For most people, it is the single device that they'll use THE MOST, of everything they own, for a couple years. Having a crappier experience on that device to save a couple hundred bucks... well, there's a TON of areas I'd choose to save money in my life before that. A phone is one of the areas in my life I'd say I don't consider price in my purchasing decision at all-- just get the one I will have the best experience with. I use it way too much to live with compromises to save a couple bucks.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #591
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Longevity of availability. I guess it depends on the kind of consumer one is. I try not to buy anything at full retail price. I use my phone constantly as well, but I don’t feel the need to spend top dollar on the latest and greatest. Can I afford it? Sure, but im way to frugal to replace something that’s working perfectly for me. I’m not contesting that the x isn’t a great phone, in fact I was ready to trade in my dinosaur iPhone 6 for it. But if the x is looking to be replaced before a year of its release date, at this time I should wait for the other options.

Last edited by EyeGuy; 01-24-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #592
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Longevity of availability. I guess it depends on the kind of consumer one is. I use my phone constantly as well, but I donÂ’t feel the need to spend top dollar on the latest and greatest. Can I afford it? Sure, but im way to frugal to replace something thatÂ’s working perfectly for me. IÂ’m not contesting that the x isnÂ’t a great phone, in fact I was ready to trade in my dinosaur iPhone 6 for it. But if the x is looking to be replaced before a year of its release date, at this time I should wait for the other options.
You've entered analysis paralysis. I mean, the F30 is about to be replaced by the G20, and then an M3 will be out and then an M3 CS and then an LCI. Better to just hold out for the H series, it will be here before you know it.

It's $1k. Either walk into the Apple store and make it rain for a few seconds or don't. But you'll never have the newest phone for more than eleven and a half months or so.

But buying an 8 with its dumb screen or holding out for an Xs or whatever isn't going to get you anything fundamentally different than just buying an X now.
Appreciate 1
geogerf115.50
      01-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #593
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Longevity of availability.
I guess I don't understand how this matters....?

Here's another way to look at it. The X was built to be the best phone they could sell for ~$1k. If it goes away, they'll go back to making the best phone they can sell for ~$700.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #594
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Or one that’s comparable to it. I guess it all depends when one is ready and comfortable to lay out those greenbacks. Buying an x now or xs later this year may justify the wait depending on the differences, if one was in the market for a new phone.
Appreciate 0