New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #23
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32 View Post
abit

HOW IS THE CLS 55AMG SLOWER THEN THE POLO GTI? AM I MISSING SOMETHING? also boxter S faster than murcielago? ?
Because the CLS was on a slightly damp track and the polo was able to get out of the corners faster.

The boxter s likewise made up for a comparative lack of power because of it's handling.

You have to bear in mind that some of the MORE powerful cars are less manageable, so they need a more measured approach.

This is the West Circuit at the bedford autodrome ... details under circuit information here:

http://www.bedfordautodrome.com/

I have driven the circuit twice as part of the palmer motorsport sensation track day. Each time in a modified (reduced to 400bhp per tonne ) single seater Formula Palmer Audi (FPA):

http://www.palmersport.com/cars_audi.htm

In contrast to the evo times the FPA lapped the circuit in 1:07 secs when driven by Justin Wilson the 1998 FPA champion (I think he now races champ cars in the USA). I managed to get the FPA round in 1:17 secs.

There is some more detail here:

http://www.petspace.lv/c/index.php?p...track&track=10

For info you can also drive the bedford tracks 'virtually' in the Toca Race Driver 3 game for PC.

As it says in the evo article the peak speed - which is at the end of the long straight (bottom left of the circuit on the link I posted) - is a good indicator of the vehicles power. However, many slower cars can maintain a higher average speed and hence post a quicker lap.

The 2 tight corners at either end of the track are probably where the slower cars make up time. The one at the bottom left is particularly deceptive and it requires you to hold a very good line and balance the car with the throttle. The right / left bends before this corner (called pif paf) are also a real test and the race data evo post usually shows a wide variance here. In the FPA you need to brake very hard down from 120 mph to approx 40 mph. The longer you can leave it the better, but the car becomes very unbalanced just before you turn in.

If these tests were on a circuit where higher speeds could be maintained (e.g. any GP circuit) then the more powerful cars would have a clear advantage and would romp home.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #24
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Because the CLS was on a slightly damp track and the polo was able to get out of the corners faster.

The boxter s likewise made up for a comparative lack of power because of it's handling.

You have to bear in mind that some of the MORE powerful cars are less manageable, so they need a more measured approach.

This is the West Circuit at the bedford autodrome ... details under circuit information here:

http://www.bedfordautodrome.com/

I have driven the circuit twice as part of the palmer motorsport sensation track day. Each time in a modified (reduced to 400bhp per tonne ) single seater Formula Palmer Audi (FPA):

http://www.palmersport.com/cars_audi.htm

In contrast to the evo times the FPA lapped the circuit in 1:07 secs when driven by Justin Wilson the 1998 FPA champion (I think he now races champ cars in the USA). I managed to get the FPA round in 1:17 secs.

There is some more detail here:

http://www.petspace.lv/c/index.php?p...track&track=10

For info you can also drive the bedford tracks 'virtually' in the Toca Race Driver 3 game for PC.

As it says in the evo article the peak speed - which is at the end of the long straight (bottom left of the circuit on the link I posted) - is a good indicator of the vehicles power. However, many slower cars can maintain a higher average speed and hence post a quicker lap.

The 2 tight corners at either end of the track are probably where the slower cars make up time. The one at the bottom left is particularly deceptive and it requires you to hold a very good line and balance the car with the throttle. The right / left bends before this corner (called pif paf) are also a real test and the race data evo post usually shows a wide variance here. In the FPA you need to brake very hard down from 120 mph to approx 40 mph. The longer you can leave it the better, but the car becomes very unbalanced just before you turn in.

If these tests were on a circuit where higher speeds could be maintained (e.g. any GP circuit) then the more powerful cars would have a clear advantage and would romp home.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #25
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep

Drives: circles around you

that's because people hate to admit that they're wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
i DID post that, strangely, no one replyed to that yet
      02-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32 View Post
0700700 CODE RED MATE!
If you look - I posted the evo laptimes in 0700700's what car should I get next thread.

I can't quite believe he chose the slowest thing on the list

Seriously though - this is just one circuit and there are plenty of other ones where the cls 55amg will shine (even though it's a merc and hence cannot corner properly )
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #27
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

This is fun:

http://www.petspace.lv/c/index.php?p...=459bb03276e82

They have the 330i on there as well but there is only one laptime (hockenheim) and it's for the e46 version.

Try comparing some other cars
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Bicycle

Thanks for the info mate. I wont look at these hot hatches the same way again

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #29
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Gtis r a pos!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #30
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Gtis r a pos!
depends what your standards are at

if you drive lambos or ferraris as a everyday car, then i would understand why you think it's a pos

the new GTI won Car of the year 2007 from many magazines and shows...
Appreciate 0