New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-19-2023, 04:00 PM   #23
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
FL real estate is mostly out of control in the coastal areas. Unfortunately that is one of the OP's requirements. A booming area of FL is Ocala, use to play golf there at a great course and can't believe when I heard its a hot alternative. 2800 properties for sale there, I dont think there was 2800 in the whole town back when I use to visit. Plenty of 400k brand new homes being built there.
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1296.50
      05-19-2023, 04:26 PM   #24
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
FL real estate is mostly out of control in the coastal areas. Unfortunately that is one of the OP's requirements. A booming area of FL is Ocala, use to play golf there at a great course and can't believe when I heard its a hot alternative. 2800 properties for sale there, I dont think there was 2800 in the whole town back when I use to visit. Plenty of 400k brand new homes being built there.
Well my expectations keep changing as I learn more. I just do not have the income to brute force my way into the coastal areas, and anything that is priced lower is a complete dump. Hell, I've seen more than a few properties priced above $500k that are still complete dumps. Not only is it the purchase price itself, but the taxes and insurance. Lender said today there is like $2k taxes just for schools. I don't even have kids.. and I won't ever have them. So, that being said, I'm going to have to re-target my search more inland and just compromise to be satisfied with driving a bit for the beach. Ocala is quite a bit further north than I would like to be, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:29 PM   #25
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Well my expectations keep changing as I learn more. I just do not have the income to brute force my way into the coastal areas, and anything that is priced lower is a complete dump. Hell, I've seen more than a few properties priced above $500k that are still complete dumps. Not only is it the purchase price itself, but the taxes and insurance. Lender said today there is like $2k taxes just for schools. I don't even have kids.. and I won't ever have them. So, that being said, I'm going to have to re-target my search more inland.
Why do you even want to move to FL? Why South Florida? Plenty of other areas of FL that are much cheaper and less crowded.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:32 PM   #26
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Why do you even want to move to FL? Why South Florida? Plenty of other areas of FL that are much cheaper and less crowded.
Weather, beach, women.. put as much distance as I can between myself and my relatives. No state income tax. LLC friendly. That being said, what areas you thinking about? I'm opening up to a complete redo.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 05:25 PM   #27
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weather, beach, women.. put as much distance as I can between myself and my relatives. No state income tax. LLC friendly. That being said, what areas you thinking about? I'm opening up to a complete redo.
Well the west coast of FL will probably be cheaper to start. The beaches are also way better and more chill than SFL IMO. Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota etc.

If you want to stay on the east coast for some reason then just keep going north. The further south the bigger the crowds and the more expensive the houses. Some have mentioned Port St Lucie, although IMO it's pretty crowded, but prices are actively going down. Maybe a year ago everything there was $500k+ mostly mid to high $600k now I see many houses in the $400k. Go further north Ft Pierce, Sebatian, Melbourne, Vero Beach etc will all be less crowded and cheaper and obviously if you go inland in those areas even more so. However at $500k I think you can easily find decent homes closer to the ocean in other parts of FL.

If all my family wasn't here and I already had a paid off home I probably would not live in SFL. I would still have a home in FL just not SFL, but what people like is very different so hard to make recommendations to other people. As others have stated, best bet is to plan a long trip or multiple trips and stay in different areas to see what YOU prefer.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-19-2023, 06:32 PM   #28
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

If you want to go a little further north, Port St. Lucie has a lot to offer, but you're 45 min north of Palm Beach, but you can get new construction for around your price range. I know a lot of people who moving there and it's gotten pretty built up in the past 15 years.
nerdogray1296.50
      05-19-2023, 06:52 PM   #29
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well the west coast of FL will probably be cheaper to start. The beaches are also way better and more chill than SFL IMO. Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota etc.

If you want to stay on the east coast for some reason then just keep going north. The further south the bigger the crowds and the more expensive the houses. Some have mentioned Port St Lucie, although IMO it's pretty crowded, but prices are actively going down. Maybe a year ago everything there was $500k+ mostly mid to high $600k now I see many houses in the $400k. Go further north Ft Pierce, Sebatian, Melbourne, Vero Beach etc will all be less crowded and cheaper and obviously if you go inland in those areas even more so. However at $500k I think you can easily find decent homes closer to the ocean in other parts of FL.

If all my family wasn't here and I already had a paid off home I probably would not live in SFL. I would still have a home in FL just not SFL, but what people like is very different so hard to make recommendations to other people. As others have stated, best bet is to plan a long trip or multiple trips and stay in different areas to see what YOU prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
If you want to go a little further north, Port St. Lucie has a lot to offer, but you're 45 min north of Palm Beach, but you can get new construction for around your price range. I know a lot of people who moving there and it's gotten pretty built up in the past 15 years.
Thanks guys. Huge difference in pricing moving up to Port Saint Lucie.. so much that I'm wondering, "what's wrong?" I'm having homes pop up that look fairly high quality (relative to what I could find Jupiter area) for much, much less.

Wild. There's even quite a bit of new construction.

Last edited by nerdogray; 05-19-2023 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:05 PM   #30
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Before moving to a new region, I always contact a local CPA to get the rundown on all of the costs I'm going to face: state income tax (not in FL, I know), property tax, school tax (if any), sales tax, ALL insurance costs, car registration tax, utilities (highly variable around the country), etc. A good CPA will explain why those costs are what they are, what they used to be, and best of all, what they're likely to be in the next few years.

I last moved from a state that had no state income tax and no state sales tax. Property tax and car registration tax was all I paid. Where I am now there's typically state income tax, city income tax (live in one city and work in another, and you might end up paying both city's income taxes), school tax, and property tax. My utility cost is a fraction of what it was before, and my city doesn't want income tax from me because I'm retired. Property tax rates here are equal to where I came from, auto insurance is reasonable (for me), and annual car registration taxes have been negligible in both places.

I try to get all these details sorted-out before moving. The mistake I made before moving to the former place was not getting a grip on what utilities were going to cost me. I could manage the cost okay, but they totaled triple what I would have guessed - enough extra to cover a payment for my Tundra, if I'd had a payment to make on it.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-19-2023, 07:11 PM   #31
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Yea, my lender already hammered me on taxes and insurance. I feel kind of dumb not already knowing that West Palm Beach is one of the most expensive places to live in the nation. All I wanted to do was chase more Latin American women.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 08:20 PM   #32
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
All I wanted to do was chase more Latin American women.
I get it – I lived south of Maracaibo and in Caracas, and in California. Very hot. The women, I mean!
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-20-2023, 08:30 AM   #33
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
All I wanted to do was chase more Latin American women.
I bet that home prices are peanuts in the countries where those exports are domestically grown.....
nerdogray1296.50
      05-20-2023, 09:01 AM   #34
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Thanks guys. Huge difference in pricing moving up to Port Saint Lucie.. so much that I'm wondering, "what's wrong?" I'm having homes pop up that look fairly high quality (relative to what I could find Jupiter area) for much, much less.

Wild. There's even quite a bit of new construction.
There is nothing wrong with PSL. It hasn't been invaded by NYers who overpay with cash and want to "seen" in Boca lol.
RickFLM410968.00
nerdogray1296.50
      05-22-2023, 09:15 AM   #35
ErikJ1
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
There is nothing wrong with PSL. It hasn't been invaded by NYers who overpay with cash and want to "seen" in Boca lol.
PSL is getting better..it's was always kind of a red neck place, but that seems to be changing. I like Hobe Sound/Stuart to do most of my shopping and dining out now..(live in Tequesta)
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      05-23-2023, 06:26 AM   #36
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Where do you live now? Wondering how much of the FL weather you'll be able to tolerate.
Have you vacationed here much? Curious if you've spent time here before and where.
Where did you grow up? Alot of people aren't used to the lack of culture here, so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-23-2023, 09:35 AM   #37
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I live in TN right now but am completely fine with heat and humidity. I enjoyed Brazil, even. I don't have any culture myself. But this entire thread is turning moot because in spite of previous comments cannot find an agent to take me seriously. I'm guessing because I am out of state or not bringing a potential multi-million dollar sale to their table. I'm finding that even the available leases aren't necessarily real listings. It's a total, time-wasting, shitshow.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live in TN right now but am completely fine with heat and humidity. I enjoyed Brazil, even. I don't have any culture myself. But this entire thread is turning moot because in spite of previous comments cannot find an agent to take me seriously. I'm guessing because I am out of state or not bringing a potential multi-million dollar sale to their table. I'm finding that even the available leases aren't necessarily real listings. It's a total, time-wasting, shitshow.
There's this realtor I've seen on YouTube, he does videos on the SFL market. From what I can tell he seems to focus on out of state people looking to relocate to FL. Might want to try that.

I've never worked with or talked to the guy so who knows might be a dick, just seen his videos and seems to focus on out of state people.

https://igoehomegroup.com/
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-23-2023, 04:00 PM   #39
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I know great a agent in Miami, Coral Springs, Orlando, lmk if any of those areas interest you, happy to connect you.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-23-2023, 04:06 PM   #40
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
I know great a agent in Miami, Coral Springs, Orlando, lmk if any of those areas interest you, happy to connect you.
Thank you! I just talked with an agent a few hours ago who was really helpful. She lives in Stuart and is really familiar with the areas. Makes a big difference when you connect with someone that's been doing it a long time but maintained their desire to help people. If this doesn't work out, I will definitely be open to a referral. Focusing on that area in and around Stuart (Port Saint Lucie, Jensen, etc.).
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 04:07 PM   #41
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Gainesville is where it's at. More crocs per person. Win.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      05-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #42
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I just talked with an agent a few hours ago who was really helpful. She lives in Stuart and is really familiar with the areas. Makes a big difference when you connect with someone that's been doing it a long time but maintained their desire to help people. If this doesn't work out, I will definitely be open to a referral. Focusing on that area in and around Stuart (Port Saint Lucie, Jensen, etc.).
I've stayed in Stuart before, I like it there. Port St Lucie I have a cousin who does charter fishing out of there, let me know if you want to go catch some fish

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50
      06-11-2023, 11:40 PM   #43
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I took a weekend trip to Stuart area. Landed in WPB, rented a car, and drove up to stay at the Hutchinson Resort for lodging. Met my realtor shortly after, and we started looking. Actually looked at about half and half of rentals and purchases. Can't remember, but around the fifth one, I walked through the door of one for sale, and it just *felt* like home. It was a very intense feeling. Immaculate condition, tons of space, foliage all around (I absolutely love palm trees), and a two-car garage. Made an offer, they countered a little, and I accepted. Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. It was the thoughts shared here that steered me towards Stuart ultimately. Stuart is just very laid back, as well, and the beaches were all uncrowded. That tree tunnel on the way to Hobe Sound was something out of a movie. Really looking forward to getting away from TN and my toxic family.
Appreciate 4
rebekahb3131.50
RickFLM410968.00
      06-12-2023, 02:19 AM   #44
RigPig11
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW G30 540i

Quote:
I took a weekend trip to Stuart area. Landed in WPB, rented a car, and drove up to stay at the Hutchinson Resort for lodging. Met my realtor shortly after, and we started looking. Actually looked at about half and half of rentals and purchases. Can't remember, but around the fifth one, I walked through the door of one for sale, and it just *felt* like home. It was a very intense feeling. Immaculate condition, tons of space, foliage all around (I absolutely love palm trees), and a two-car garage. Made an offer, they countered a little, and I accepted. Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. It was the thoughts shared here that steered me towards Stuart ultimately. Stuart is just very laid back, as well, and the beaches were all uncrowded. That tree tunnel on the way to Hobe Sound was something out of a movie. Really looking forward to getting away from TN and my toxic family.
Congrats my friend that’s awesome. I moved to Palm Beach County in 2020 from Colorado. House doubled in value at one point and is still up 80-90 percent from when I bought it. I lucked out in a historic neighborhood with no HOA right off the intracoastal. Best decision of my young life. Welcome to the area!
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1296.50