New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-14-2023, 09:38 AM   #45
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep

Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Weird how the “most sought after car” lost $30-40k in value in a single year. Soon to be a $50k car by next year. Good resale! Must be in high demand. Basically a GT3.
Same thing with phones.

People sleep at the apple store to get the new iphone, only for it to be obsolete a week later as apple is preparing their newer version.

The car is still sought after. The performance you get for the value is unmatched.
      06-14-2023, 09:43 AM   #46
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
The gt3 is a small market.

The plaid is almost 100k cheaper and still faster.

Don’t forget the generation that these ev’s appeal to. Most of them would pick a plaid over a gt3 if given the choice.
I guess you're part of this generation. Anyway, it's not sought after. It may be popular/interesting to folks like you, but certainly not sought after. The fact that I can go out and buy one tomorrow (new or used) tells me something.
      06-14-2023, 09:54 AM   #47
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Same thing with phones.

People sleep at the apple store to get the new iphone, only for it to be obsolete a week later as apple is preparing their newer version.

The car is still sought after. The performance you get for the value is unmatched.
Weird how ICE cars that are actually sought after hold their value so much better than the “sought-after” toaster oven on wheels. Must be a coincidence. It’s too bad those 1970s muscle cars are obsolete now so nobody wants them. Don’t even get me started on the junk from the 1950s. Pure garbage compared to the holy grail Plaid.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2023, 10:13 AM   #48
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Weird how ICE cars that are actually sought after hold their value so much better than the “sought-after” toaster oven on wheels. Must be a coincidence. It’s too bad those 1970s muscle cars are obsolete now so nobody wants them. Don’t even get me started on the junk from the 1950s. Pure garbage compared to the holy grail Plaid.
I mean it’s ok to hate the car and name call it.

The mere fact you can go buy a 9.2 car for 108k is pretty astonishing and that’s what I’m getting at.

With the generation of everyone wanting to show off. Who needs car knowledge or the ability to “build” a car when you can get a cheat code car in the plaid and wipe everything out.

It’s a sought after car in that sense. Someone who doesn’t know about cars. Someone who doesn’t want to build one. Hey let me go get a plaid and beat everyone.

That’s the mentality.
      06-14-2023, 10:14 AM   #49
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Weird how ICE cars that are actually sought after hold their value so much better than the “sought-after” toaster oven on wheels.
The ones that people don't drive and just keep in barns to look at?
      06-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #50
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I would guess the collector group is minuscule comparing those who want something fast NOW, even if the value is cut in half after 2 years.

This is an entirely different generation of car buyers.
      06-14-2023, 10:28 AM   #51
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
With the generation of everyone wanting to show off. Who needs car knowledge or the ability to “build” a car when you can get a cheat code car in the plaid and wipe everything out.
The cheat code is money, always has been.

You will always be able to build an ICE car for a fraction of the cost. Not sure how to build an EV... software updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #52
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
The cheat code is money, always has been.

You will always be able to build an ICE car for a fraction of the cost. Not sure how to build an EV... software updates?
Fraction of the cost?

Please name a platform, cost to purchase, cost to modify, that’ll run 9.2. And have a warranty.
      06-14-2023, 10:49 AM   #53
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Technically, a track or competitively driven car breakdown will not have a valid warranty claim. Depending on the manufacturer of course. Same goes for insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:49 AM   #54
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Same thing with phones.

Yawn X22
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:56 AM   #55
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Technically, a track or competitively driven car breakdown will not have a valid warranty claim. Depending on the manufacturer of course. Same goes for insurance.
But you’re sacrificing a lot to get one attribute.

The plaid has it all, with a warranty, AC and can fit your family or friends.
      06-14-2023, 11:12 AM   #56
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is that what everyone does? I've been driving Porsches and Ferraris for years at $0 cost because of their amazing resale value. In total, I've made close to $100k in profit driving them (thanks Covid) , and I put about 3k miles/year on my weekend cars, most of them have been higher mileage cars too.

But a Tesla can run a 9.2 and lose $40k in value in one year so that's cool. Some people just really hate money and can't wait to set a large pile of it on fire so they can impress their friends with the toaster on wheels that goes real fast.

There is not a single electric car that will ever hold any significant value because battery tech will always get better and they will never have the sound and feel of ICE cars that hold value. The screens will also look ridiculously outdated in 5-10 years and there's no way to fix that.

I don't care what people do with their money, but to label a Plaid as "sought after" is clearly wrong because if it was then they wouldn't be dropping like a rock.

On second thought, people who bought Plaids have actually lost more like $50-70k in one year since their original MSRP was $131k, not the current $109k. Plenty of them for sale in the $80k range and sitting. Thanks Elon!
Appreciate 2
Burrcold5321.00
      06-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #57
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Is that what everyone does? I've been driving Porsches and Ferraris for years at $0 cost because of their amazing resale value. In total, I've made close to $100k in profit driving them (thanks Covid) , and I put about 3k miles/year on my weekend cars, most of them have been higher mileage cars too.

But a Tesla can run a 9.2 and lose $40k in value in one year so that's cool. Some people just really hate money and can't wait to set a large pile of it on fire so they can impress their friends with the toaster on wheels that goes real fast.

There is not a single electric car that will ever hold any significant value because battery tech will always get better and they will never have the sound and feel of ICE cars that hold value. The screens will also look ridiculously outdated in 5-10 years and there's no way to fix that.

I don't care what people do with their money, but to label a Plaid as "sought after" is clearly wrong because if it was then they wouldn't be dropping like a rock.

On second thought, people who bought Plaids have actually lost more like $50-70k in one year since their original MSRP was $131k, not the current $109k. Plenty of them for sale in the $80k range and sitting. Thanks Elon!
99.9% people care most about going fast in a straight line. You are losing this war...by a lot.
      06-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #58
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Bro, your wasting your time with the king clown. Better off running as fast as you can into a brick wall or have someone kick you in the nuts. Lol. He is Teddy Ruxpin on steroids!!!
You are correct. I'll just let him do his thing.
      06-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #59
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
99.9% people care most about going fast in a straight line. You are losing this war...by a lot.
The vast majority of drivers could care less about how fast their car is. The top selling cars in the US are all slow as shit. See top 25 most popular cars list here - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g3...ing-cars-2022/

lol @ 99.9% only care about going fast in a straight line. Most people just want something cheap and reliable. Car enthusiasts want fast cars. EVs and car enthusiasts don't mix very well. Regardless, the Plaid is not a "sought after" car in the least. Simple supply and demand, otherwise they wouldn't be losing $50k in value in one year. Couple that with Tesla cutting prices of new models which further decreases value, while other manufactures like Porsche are raising their MSRP by $10k plus increased options costs which inflates the value of used ones. If I was a sucker that paid $150k for a Plaid and then Elon cut the price by $23k I'd never buy a Tesla again. Great for new customers, awful for brand loyalty and existing owners.
Appreciate 3
kyriian884.50
      06-14-2023, 02:34 PM   #60
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly.

Look at the posts on this forum. People get x drives for max traction WHEN YOU WANT TO ADD POWER. Their words.

Adding power to go fast straight, not so they can set Nurburgring records lol

But of course since we’re talking about fast ev, nope it’s about auto cross or some bullshit lmao
      06-14-2023, 02:47 PM   #61
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.

Look at the posts on this forum. People get x drives for max traction WHEN YOU WANT TO ADD POWER. Their words.

Adding power to go fast straight, not so they can set Nurburgring records lol

But of course since we’re talking about fast ev, nope it’s about auto cross or some bullshit lmao
What do you use your G80 M3 for that a Plaid can't do? At the prices Plaids are going for now, surely you could just trade in your G80 for a Plaid. You've said you have all of these Tesla's on order, but when are you taking delivery? There is little to no waiting time. Serious questions, I'm not just poking the bear.
Clark_Kent2227.50
      06-14-2023, 03:07 PM   #62
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
What do you use your G80 M3 for that a Plaid can't do? At the prices Plaids are going for now, surely you could just trade in your G80 for a Plaid. You've said you have all of these Tesla's on order, but when are you taking delivery? There is little to no waiting time. Serious questions, I'm not just poking the bear.
You missed his whole story from the EV thread then
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2370
I mean its not like renting secure parking spots for extra toys is a thing right...

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5321.00
      06-14-2023, 03:38 PM   #63
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Sigh.

I’m in an m3 lease. My z06 is in production. I said it numerous times I want the z06 first, then a plaid. A plaid can wait since it’s “so easy to get”.

I’m in a model 3 lease. My plan was to dump it and get the plaid NOW. But because my gf has shit credit she can’t get it and I’m not letting her own it while it’s under my name.

Plus what does all this have anything to with this discussion?

I love both ev and ice. Hence why my 125k z06 is in production. I can wait for a plaid if I have to take a loss and surrender it just to get it prematurely from the lease.
      06-14-2023, 03:45 PM   #64
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
You missed his whole story from the EV thread then
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2370
I mean its not like renting secure parking spots for extra toys is a thing right...
Well if I had your cars I wouldn’t give a fuck about parking them on the street cause not like it’ll get stolen. And if that was the case I’d have 12 teslas right now ready to party. I like to park my cars in my driveway.
      06-14-2023, 04:04 PM   #65
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Quote:
EVs and car enthusiasts don't mix very well.
This is only true to low-to-mid echelon of car enthusiasts. The loudest boos for Tesla come from the cheap seats.

100% of Koenigsegg owners also own a Tesla, per Christian who dailys one. Anecdotally, nearly every single person in my extended circle who tracks (proper track stuff, not just an HPDE once or twice a month) has a Tesla in the household, as do the all the fastest TX2K and half-mile guys.

The overwhelming majority of car enthusiasts I know are big proponents of Tesla, but admittedly this is skewed to the higher-end of the spectrum where we have several cars. I understand the lack of desire for a Tesla if you can only have one or two cars and want both to be engaging to drive, sound good, high quality, etc.
Appreciate 2
Clark_Kent2227.50
SoCal_NSX2399.50
      06-14-2023, 04:05 PM   #66
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sigh.

I’m in an m3 lease. My z06 is in production. I said it numerous times I want the z06 first, then a plaid. A plaid can wait since it’s “so easy to get”.

I’m in a model 3 lease. My plan was to dump it and get the plaid NOW. But because my gf has shit credit she can’t get it and I’m not letting her own it while it’s under my name.

Plus what does all this have anything to with this discussion?

I love both ev and ice. Hence why my 125k z06 is in production. I can wait for a plaid if I have to take a loss and surrender it just to get it prematurely from the lease.
Sigh is right. You sound like a child just dreaming all this shit up.
Clark_Kent2227.50
kyriian884.50