New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #45
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Don't you know it! The deck plywood rotted away in two years, the walk-through windshield wouldn't stay closed due to hull flex, and one of the side windows literally exploded and threw glass shards all over the front passenger seat from hitting a wake...at 5 MPH!

My last outing ended with me and another person paddling it across the bay from the NJ side to Staten Island (NY), using only a water ski and the emergency paddle. Bayliner was sooooooo cheap in the US Marine ownership days that they actually used vinyl magnetic strip (as in a magnetic business card) glued to the inside of the flywheel as a magneto exciter. How long do you think that it will stay glued in the heat of an internal combustion engine? Four years. When it comes unglued, the engine won't even spark the plugs.

My family owned boats my entire life, and for at least three generations before me. That Baylemon was the biggest pile of toss ever put in the water, and I seriously would rather sail across the Florida Straights on a Cuban refugee raft than cross a pond in a Bayliner. Heck, I'd cross the English Channel in Jeremy Clarkson's Nissank pickup truck before getting into another Bayliner.....

Glad I unfortunately nailed it on the head, lol.

I grew up around boats and my father always preached that if you could only afford a Bayliner, then you couldn't afford a boat.

He had mostly custom SoCal boats, but had a few Glasstron's that we really enjoyed too.
cmyx6go15761.00
      03-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #46
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
He had mostly custom SoCal boats, but had a few Glasstron's that we really enjoyed too.
My grandparents had a 1960's Glassmaster, and it is probably still in use by someone today. It was small, but built to last forever. My great-grandparents owned a wooden ChrisCraft, and my wife's parents owned an off-shore sailboat.

We bought our lakeside retirement property in SC last spring. Ironically, the Glassmaster factory was located in SC, and there are usually a few listed for sale in that area. I'm keeping an eye on the local craigslist and other sites down there, to see if a project-grade one shows up for restoration. Not that I can make use of it due to medical restrictions about being outdoors, but it would be nice to have in my retirement.....
      03-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #47
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I just bought two motorcycles so ask me the question again in a month just in case.
This have been my buyer remorse experience as well.

So frustrating last year, when I started realizing than my dream bike purchase in '20 ( pre-owned, low miliage 2017 Panigale 1299s anniversario) started to turn lemon in '21.

I traded my awesome, reliable and fun HP4 for what I thought was gonna be my limited production, sexy, forever exciting bike, ever since I saw them debut in '16.

In hindsight, definitely should have stuck with the HP4 instead of chasing the dream.
Lady Jane70855.50
      03-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #48
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Honestly, I don't know that I've had buyers remorse after big purchases.

I have bought some smaller things that afterwards I felt, or realized I didn't need and thought to myself "eh, probably shouldn't have bought that". But this is dumb things like computer accessories, garage tools, stupid little wants.

I guess I have had things I've been worried about after the initial purchase, but in the end never had remorse about or wish I hadn't bought.

WAIT!!! I take that back. I've had ONE thing I regretted buying. I took a chance and bought some custom overfenders from a guy who was making them himself. His posts looked amazing, he was starting his business and trying to get his name out there, had some good reviews from his locals. Well a couple weeks wait turned into a few months, kept getting excuses why they werent done, and then he finally sent me a banged up set that he basically took off his car. Didn't fit, mounting holes drilled all over the place, stress cracks, etc.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #49
shoei
Banned
Rep

Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "shoei;28706928"
I just bought two motorcycles so ask me the question again in a month just in case.
This have been my buyer remorse experience as well.

So frustrating last year, when I started realizing than my dream bike purchase in '20 ( pre-owned, low miliage 2017 Panigale 1299s anniversario) started to turn lemon in '21.

I traded my awesome, reliable and fun HP4 for what I thought was gonna be my limited production, sexy, forever exciting bike, ever since I saw them debut in '16.

In hindsight, definitely should have stuck with the HP4 instead of chasing the dream.
I know what is going to be my forever (aka less than 10 years) bike after these two. Or one of these will go away and be replaced by the current gen S1000RR. Minds made up on that one.

I didn't love my pani either. Didn't even have it long. My lasting memory with that bike is - I could've worn booty shorts and I still would've been drenched in butt sweat from the exhaust pipes.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #50
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
I know what is going to be my forever (aka less than 10 years) bike after these two. Or one of these will go away and be replaced by the current gen S1000RR. Minds made up on that one.

I didn't love my pani either. Didn't even have it long. My lasting memory with that bike is - I could've worn booty shorts and I still would've been drenched in butt sweat from the exhaust pipes.
Yes, the exhaust pipe right under the saddle is definitely uncomfortable on hot days after a spirited run on the weekend, but when getting back to the city area in the afternoon when splitting lanes in 10 mph, stop and go traffic. There were time when I thought I would see blisters formed from the heat when I parked the panni up for the day, lol.

I keep you in mind when it's time for me to move on from my '21 S1KRR! It has been a solid and reliable weekend only toy during the riding season! I don't daily anymore since I'm only two miles from work now, so the miles will be relatively low compared to my previously owned bikes used as commuters.

I keep my bikes s well maintained just like the cars I've had, so if you're interested when the time comes, I'll make sure to extend the bimmerpost discount your way!
Attached Images

Lady Jane70855.50
      03-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #51
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I actually got a 3rd degree burn on my inner thigh from my pani when I got caught in stop and go on a hot day. Awesome bike but I agree, not quite the user experience I envisioned for street riding.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #52
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "shoei;28729322"

Yes, the exhaust pipe right under the saddle is definitely uncomfortable on hot days after a spirited run on the weekend, but when getting back to the city area in the afternoon when splitting lanes in 10 mph, stop and go traffic. There were time when I thought I would see blisters formed from the heat when I parked the panni up for the day, lol.

I keep you in mind when it's time for me to move on from my '21 S1KRR! It has been a solid and reliable weekend only toy during the riding season! I don't daily anymore since I'm only two miles from work now, so the miles will be relatively low compared to my previously owned bikes used as commuters.

I keep my bikes s well maintained just like the cars I've had, so if you're interested when the time comes, I'll make sure to extend the bimmerpost discount your way!
I'll 100% keep you in mind. I know this naked bike thing will most likely be a phase lol.

You and I have always had similar taste and we also tend to spoil our ladies. The mechanical kind.

She's so flippin' sexy. I have two buddies who own a repair shop. They do stunt riding for movies and also teach "actors" how to ride. They've owned, ridden and worked on pretty much everything and they both won't stfu about the new S1000RR. I've never seen them both so enamored over a motorcycle before.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #53
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I actually got a 3rd degree burn on my inner thigh from my pani when I got caught in stop and go on a hot day. Awesome bike but I agree, not quite the user experience I envisioned for street riding.
I haven't had the chance to ride my 959 yet, but I'm told the seat gets really hot. I guess swapping seats helps a lot, and running a full Ti exhaust helps also since it doesnt retain heat like the stainless does.

I guess if anything the jewels will stay warm when its colder out.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #54
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I'd never bitch about a junker I bought in my younger years...as you except what you pay for. Character building at best (even my Plymouth K-car)

All said, biggest lemon shit was a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. First year of the direct injected turbo engine. Would spend weeks (if not months) in the shop at various stints. Car was also cursed to blow tires and rims all the time. Only car I ever ditched early, at just over 2 years & 27000 miles. Feel sorry for whatever sucker bought it off the BMW lot...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #55
shoei
Banned
Rep

Update - I do not have any regrets, this might just be the most fun motorcycle I've ever owned.

Second one still has a chance to be a regret but it hasn't left the shop yet, lol
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      03-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #56
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update - I do not have any regrets, this might just be the most fun motorcycle I've ever owned.
The Monster?

I was hoping to get the 959 out this weekend, but they just salted the piss out of the roads today because it rained last night , so now it will sit a little longer until we get more rain. So far I've ridden it for about 2 miles to warm up the chain, thats it. But I doubt I'll regret buying it.

Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      03-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #57
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 gasser. Worst truck ever. 2 bad trans, melting wiring and crap a/c. After that truck I have yet to buy another one of their products. Ford trucks all the way. (I've had Chevy, GMC, and Isuzu as well)
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #58
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Back in the 2000's i bought a computer from one of those telemarketing ads. I really needed a computer for school and i was mostly broke so i bought on on credit. Probably ended up paying 4-5k for it after interest!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 12:18 PM   #59
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
The Monster?

I was hoping to get the 959 out this weekend, but they just salted the piss out of the roads today because it rained last night , so now it will sit a little longer until we get more rain. So far I've ridden it for about 2 miles to warm up the chain, thats it. But I doubt I'll regret buying it.
Yeah I did something I rarely do with bikes. Bought it without riding it first. Had enough enough people including two friends who own a motorcycle repair shop and another who now works at Ducati rave about the new Monsters - it was telling because they never cared for most of the previous gen iterations.

It's difficult to explain but we all say the exact same thing when we hop off - "this the most fun I've had in awhile" or something similar. Fun is the word used by everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #60
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Back in the 2000's i bought a computer from one of those telemarketing ads. I really needed a computer for school and i was mostly broke so i bought on on credit. Probably ended up paying 4-5k for it after interest!
Out of curiosity, what kind was it?
      03-30-2022, 03:01 PM   #61
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Probably when choosing between two cars. Immediately after the deal, I always think I should have bought the other car.
Appreciate 2
jmg18705.00
      03-30-2022, 03:07 PM   #62
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
My wife and can’t be returned.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 03:07 PM   #63
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind was it?
Compaq! lol
Appreciate 1
Esteban43734.50
      03-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #64
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
My wife and can't be returned.
What country did you mail order her from?
Appreciate 1
UncleWede18016.00
      03-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #65
essejM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
My wife and can’t be returned.
I was going to say engagement ring, has ended up costing me a whole lot more then what I paid for it if you know what I mean......
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #66
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
What country did you mail order her from?
Queens, NY lol
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00