New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #1
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep

Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

I've been a discount tire customer for years- at a single location. I've bought (2) sets in the last six months and (3) sets in the last 18 months.

Lately, they have been so busy that they have ridiculous wait times- and seem to be so overworked that customer service and "cares" have just gone out the window.

I sat here before they opened and just watched employees walk out and start intake on the cars parked closest to the door- ignoring those of us who were there much earlier - parked in front of the bays for ease and safety.

I think I'm done.

What/who are you guys using?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:32 AM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Perhaps they had appointments ?

Walk Ins usually aren't going to get served quickly when places like this are busy, even if they "were there first".
Appreciate 3
      04-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I order from tire rack and take them to a local tire shop for installation. You can even have the tires delivered to the shop.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
I order from tire rack and take them to a local tire shop for installation. You can even have the tires delivered to the shop.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

This is what I have been doing for more than a decade and always schedule an appointment. In Oklahoma, that has meant Hibdon Tires.
Appreciate 2
br438582.50
M3WC3639.00
      04-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Perhaps they had appointments ?

Walk Ins usually aren't going to get served quickly when places like this are busy, even if they "were there first".
I had an existing appt for this morning (Wed) - on Mondy a work meeting got scheduled for today - associate said, "no problem, we take walk-ins all day, just drop by." so I did just that at 1pm Monday. I was told it would be a 3hr, 45min wait... to rotate tires. 1/2 of an entire workday for tire rotation means that you cannot handle the volume at that location to take walk-ins. period.

I called yesterday to confirm my appt. this morning - and it was... not in the computer.

I was there at 7:50am this morning. I was out before 8:40am. Even still, you can tell that they are pressed - as the smilie and courtesy is gone in some of the staff. Flat out - be nice to me, look me in the eye and don't smart-off when I ask for an ETA, and I can put up with a lot. This location is dead. Because of the number of people in Nashville, the location will continue to thrive, it will probably never again be the Discount Tire location that made me a loyal customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Thanks for that - how does rotation and balance work out for you? Is it worth it just to pay for it every 5-6k miles?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post
I had an existing appt for this morning (Wed) - on Mondy a work meeting got scheduled for today - associate said, "no problem, we take walk-ins all day, just drop by." so I did just that at 1pm Monday. I was told it would be a 3hr, 45min wait... to rotate tires. 1/2 of an entire workday for tire rotation means that you cannot handle the volume at that location to take walk-ins. period.

I called yesterday to confirm my appt. this morning - and it was... not in the computer.

I was there at 7:50am this morning. I was out before 8:40am. Even still, you can tell that they are pressed - as the smilie and courtesy is gone in some of the staff. Flat out - be nice to me, look me in the eye and don't smart-off when I ask for an ETA, and I can put up with a lot. This location is dead. Because of the number of people in Nashville, the location will continue to thrive, it will probably never again be the Discount Tire location that made me a loyal customer.
To be honest, you sound like you have unrealistic expectations and no empathy for that fact these guys are getting their asses kicked.

"Look me in the eye and don't smart off to me" they probably act sarcastically because you aren't being chill.

Quote:
Thanks for that - how does rotation and balance work out for you? Is it worth it just to pay for it every 5-6k miles?
Depending on the vehicle, it either goes to the specialty shop for an oil change and I have them rotate the tires then. Or it goes to the dealer for an oil change and I have them rotate the tires then.

I wouldn't drive specifically to a tire shop just for a tire rotation.
Appreciate 5
tdott3932.00
minn1913970.00
M2Pilot277.50
keg97154.50
      04-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Well, my current car has a staggered setup so I can't get them rotated. As for balancing, I only get that done when needed, ie, new tires mounted or if I notice slight vibrations while driving.
Appreciate 1
br438582.50
      04-13-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
To be honest, you sound like you have unrealistic expectations and no empathy for that fact these guys are getting their asses kicked.

"Look me in the eye and don't smart off to me" they probably act sarcastically because you aren't being chill.
^^ literally the bedrock of customer service. but... Fair for you to judge... it is the interwebs. You've chosen chicken... maybe it was. maybe it was the egg. I'm not unbiased, so I won't know.

You are reading my words me after 3 distinct negative experiences with them in 3 days. Still - always good to be challenged not to be a jack-hole regardless of the reason.

Last edited by br438; 04-13-2022 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I've had to swerve to avoid too many ladders to count, numerous pallets, a mattress, tool box and had to run over a spare tire and a landscaping timber.

With all the screws, nails, and other debris on the roads of Houston I use Discount Tire's road hazard so much it's worth the wait.

Last stop in was a 8 mm wrench through the side wall. Houston roads are a garbage dump.

In fact we had a guy killed here in the office by some

https://accidentdatacenter.com/us/te...la-porte-texas
      04-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #11
NothingButToast
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:

Depending on the vehicle, it either goes to the specialty shop for an oil change and I have them rotate the tires then. Or it goes to the dealer for an oil change and I have them rotate the tires then.

I wouldn't drive specifically to a tire shop just for a tire rotation.
Both of these points are 100% accurate.

Discount Tire has great customer service. You're setting arguably unreal expectations for a tire shop that does high volume and allows walk ins. If you haven't noticed, a lot of places are struggling to find workers.

Discount Tire is fantastic for their service. They've repaired tires for free that I didn't even buy through them. There's an infinite number of their shops near me, maybe try and find another one near you?

I get everyone doesn't have the tools or desire to rotate their tires themselves. But any one or shop can do it. Buy a jack and rotate them yourself. Takes ~10 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

fwiw, when i worked at a tire/mechanic shop in college over 10 years ago, it would take a while for walk-ins to get anything done. 1-2hrs for anything from a rotate/balance to new tires at a minimum if we had a bunch of appointments scheduled. Maybe we'd squeeze you in to an open bay or do it in the parking lot if we had a free guy or you were someone who spent a lot of money with us, or were a nice person. Hell, id even pull your ticket out of order if you were someone who I knew tipped us. But someone just walking in thinking they deserved to be put in front of someone else and had attitude, youd wait the full amount of time, and then some.

youre best bet is to schedule and appointment. Walking in at any place, especially if they are busy, means you are going to wait. Do you get upset at restaurants when you walk in to a busy place and its a 30min-1hr wait for a table?

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
tdott3932.00
      04-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So THAT sucked. Did the Police ever find the truck?
Nope, could have fell off the truck or been kicked up by the truck. One of those "Final Destination" moments.
      04-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I've had to swerve to avoid too many ladders to count, numerous pallets, a mattress, tool box and had to run over a spare tire and a landscaping timber.

With all the screws, nails, and other debris on the roads of Houston I use Discount Tire's road hazard so much it's worth the wait.

Last stop in was a 8 mm wrench through the side wall. Houston roads are a garbage dump.

In fact we had a guy killed here in the office by some

https://accidentdatacenter.com/us/te...la-porte-texas
I just had two sets of Michelins mounted on two separate BMWs. I always was a big fan of their road hazard package, and gladly would pay for it in the past. However, this time around, I skipped.

Reason being: they are becoming VERY particular on when they will honor it. I had a nail in my tire recently. Was in the middle of the thread, easy fix and even without me buying the road hazard, it should be a free fix since it's part of the regular mount/balance.

But they didn't want to fix it. Why? Because they felt the outside of my front tire was worn a bit too much. So I left and drove on the nail until the head fell off, but it soured me on buying the road hazard protection going forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
^^ literally the bedrock of customer service. but... Fair for you to judge... it is the interwebs. You've chosen chicken... maybe it was. maybe it was the egg. I'm not unbiased, so I won't know.

You are reading my words me after 3 distinct negative experiences with them in 3 days. Still - always good to be challenged not to be a jack-hole regardless of the reason.
Did you speak with the manager about your negative experiences? He may not know there is a problem. I've had good luck when approaching them courteously and with respect, even if their employees didn't do the same for you.

Most place are struggling so bad for workers, the Mazda dealer for the fiance's car doesn't even have their service department open on Saturday's anymore, and scheduling an oil change takes a long time, because I'm not taking our car to Jiffy Lube.

For example, I called yesterday morning to schedule an oil change. The soonest available appointment is Friday of next week at 2:30 in the afternoon. Almost 2 weeks just for an oil change.

All I was trying to say, was try to be a bit more understanding for people doing customer service. It sucks.

Last edited by OkieSnuffBox; 04-13-2022 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
br438582.50
      04-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #16
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Tire Rack is now owned by Discount Tire. Not sure yet if that is good or bad. Probably bad.
Appreciate 1
br438582.50
      04-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #17
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

lmfao at people defending the tire shop. just tell the damn truth about the eta. if you are so backed up and can't take work just say it or don't take the job. they are changing tires not doing coronary intervention.

its more or less this scene below:
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #18
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did you speak with the manager about your negative experiences? He may not know there is a problem. I've had good luck when approaching them courteously and with respect, even if their employees didn't do the same for you.

Most place are struggling so bad for workers, the Mazda dealer for the fiance's car doesn't even have their service department open on Saturday's anymore, and scheduling an oil change takes a long time, because I'm not taking our car to Jiffy Lube.

For example, I called yesterday morning to schedule an oil change. The soonest available appointment is Friday of next week at 2:30 in the afternoon. Almost 2 weeks just for an oil change.

All I was trying to say, was try to be a bit more understanding for people doing customer service. It sucks.
Mazda dealership or Jiffy Lube is pretty black and white. There are tons of hardworking independent shops out there that would bend over backwards for your business, especially if it's just an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #19
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Mazda dealership or Jiffy Lube is pretty black and white. There are tons of hardworking independent shops out there that would bend over backwards for your business, especially if it's just an oil change.
The Indy shop I use isn't open on Saturdays either.

That's why I like getting the oil changed at the dealer on the Mazda first thing Saturday morning. Get the oil changed, go to a late breakfast, make a Costco run and any other errands, home by lunch to enjoy the rest of the day.

Going during the week means bringing laptop, logging onto their slow wifi then having to use the VPN which slows it down more, etc, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #20
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep

Quote:

Thanks Okie

-For all who want to finger-paint a picture from limited info - You seem to assume a CS associate can never be pissy. hahaha.... I was courteous. I did not ask to be put in front of anyone. I did have an appointment, but walked in on Monday because of a newly scheduled work meeting. haaa.... I had work in-hand and was prepared to wait 1hr, 2hrs, whatever... but 3hrs 45min was literally waaay more time than I could wait. That's it.

The frustration is from yesterday - when they had deleted my appt without telling me, and today when the guy got snotty with me when I gently asked if he had an ETA on the work this morning - after I watched them walked out 5min before open and bypass 3 folks who had been waiting the longest at the location - starting intake on folks who had just pulled up. I was not the only one who noticed, and I was not the only one who was frustrated. And for you judge-judy types - I actually held the door and let a guy go in front of me to get service this morning. He was in the bay getting work done before I even talked to an associate. Didn't make me mad - felt good. ... hats off to you saints who never get frustrated.

I did put in a courteous call to corporate where I acknowledged the workload and talked to them about the volume at that location and the wait times. I looked at other DRT locations - but the nearest is a good ways away with Nashville traffic.

Besides TireRack.com - other solutions outside of DT?

Last edited by br438; 04-13-2022 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Thanks Okie

-For all who want to finger-paint a picture from limited info - You seem to assume a CS associate can never be pissy. hahaha.... I was courteous. I did not ask to be put in front of anyone. I did have an appointment, but walked in on Monday because of a newly scheduled work meeting. haaa.... I had work in-hand and was prepared to wait 1hr, 2hrs, whatever... but 3hrs 45min was literally waaay more time than I could wait. That's it.

The frustration is from yesterday - when they had deleted my appt without telling me, and today when the guy got snotty with me when I gently asked if he had an ETA on the work this morning - after they walked out and bypassed 3 folks who had been waiting the longest at the location... hats off to you saints who never get frustrated.

I did put in a courteous call to corporate where I acknowledged the workload and talked to them about the volume at that location and the wait times. I looked at other DRT locations - but the nearest is a good ways away with Nashville traffic.

Besides TireRack.com - other solutions outside of DT?
people tend to be way more virtuous in public forums than they are in real life...just an observation...which hey i might even be guilty of

tirebuyer is an alternative and costco if you have a membership.

the luxary here is ANYONE can put on tires. I usually have the lexus dealership do mine because the lounge is nice and they are cheap....go figure
Appreciate 1
br438582.50
      04-13-2022, 12:43 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The Indy shop I use isn't open on Saturdays either.

That's why I like getting the oil changed at the dealer on the Mazda first thing Saturday morning. Get the oil changed, go to a late breakfast, make a Costco run and any other errands, home by lunch to enjoy the rest of the day.

Going during the week means bringing laptop, logging onto their slow wifi then having to use the VPN which slows it down more, etc, etc.
We're somewhat changing topics here, but I personally like to do all those activities during the week so that I don't waste my weekend on them.

Any excuse to work "elsewhere" and I'm there. I happily work from the dealership, Discount Tire, etc. But not on my weekends. That's sacred.
Appreciate 4
br438582.50
minn1913970.00