New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #111
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I normally added swimming to my routine when the pool heated up (right about now) but since the gym is closed . . .

And it was always much more like controlled drowning than really swimming. I just couldn't get my breathing down. Ocean swimming I've done has always been with a surfboard under my belly
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #112
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I normally added swimming to my routine when the pool heated up (right about now) but since the gym is closed . . .

And it was always much more like controlled drowning than really swimming. I just couldn't get my breathing down. Ocean swimming I've done has always been with a surfboard under my belly
Probably need to take a lesson or two, to help with form. Once you get that down, then it's just practice. But form is very, very important in swimming, probably more so than in running.
      04-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #113
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Probably need to take a lesson or two, to help with form. Once you get that down, then it's just practice. But form is very, very important in swimming, probably more so than in running.
I paid attention at all my kid's lessons, he got to be good enough a few colleges were looking his direction in HS.

I asked his instructors, but the only adult class was 5:30-7:00 am, and I have to be at work at 6:30.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #114
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I paid attention at all my kid's lessons, he got to be good enough a few colleges were looking his direction in HS.

I asked his instructors, but the only adult class was 5:30-7:00 am, and I have to be at work at 6:30.
Instructors can look at you when you're swimming, see how bad your form is, and help you correct.

You can also look into master's swims, they're kind of like open swims, but with more dedicated folks; most pools have them at specific times. Go there, explain you're new, and looking for some help with your form.
      04-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #115
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 340i

Then all you need to do is get a TT/Tri bike
      04-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #116
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Then all you need to do is get a TT/Tri bike
Not required. Did my first half iron on a regular road bike. I got a tri bike after that, but it's certainly not required.
      04-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #117
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not required. Did my first half iron on a regular road bike. I got a tri bike after that, but it's certainly not required.
I was definitely being sarcastic, as a cyclist...will find any new reason for a new bike.
      04-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #118
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I was definitely being sarcastic, as a cyclist...will find any new reason for a new bike.
Q: How many bikes do you need?

A: N+1, and D-1

N being the number of bikes you have, and D being the number of bikes that will cause your spouse/significant other to leave you.
dc503131.00
      04-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #119
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:

N being the number of bikes you have, and D being the number of bikes that will cause your spouse/significant other to leave you.

This can also be applied in many other aspects - cars, girlfriends, etc. LOL
      04-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #120
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post

This can also be applied in many other aspects - cars, girlfriends, etc. LOL
I apply this equation to running shoes and bikes
      04-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #121
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

None of y'all have pew-pew sticks???

I think I'm going home to run . . .
Appreciate 1
Mandi90TT2712.00
      04-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #122
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
None of y'all have pew-pew sticks???

I think I'm going home to run . . .
Got those, as well. D-1 is more flexible, as they are hidden in the gun safe, and, well, the spousal unit doesn't look in there.
      04-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #123
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So tell me Dave, when you switch to swimming how do you deal with the fundamental change in breathing?

If I'm running (5.7km tonight) or riding bike, I breathe when I want, any time I want. No requirement to perfectly time it with when my mouth breaches the surface. I'm relatively sure with scuba/snorkel I could swim much better
      04-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #124
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So tell me Dave, when you switch to swimming how do you deal with the fundamental change in breathing?

If I'm running (5.7km tonight) or riding bike, I breathe when I want, any time I want. No requirement to perfectly time it with when my mouth breaches the surface. I'm relatively sure with scuba/snorkel I could swim much better
Tris are all swim/bike/run, in that order, so you start off with the swim, no need to switch from running or biking to swim.

As for breathing, you get in a rhythm. I am a bad swimmer in that I can only breathe on my right side, so I breath more or less every stroke. It just takes practice, learning what rhythm works best for you. Like anything practice makes you better.

Also, snorkels are not allowed in tris anymore. It used to not be specifically disallowed, and some people got away with it, but most tris, including all of the well known ones specifically disallow snorkels. And fins, also.
      04-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #125
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I was thinking training. Standard crawl I can only breathe of left side, and it's every other time my left arm comes up

For breast stroke, I was getting in 4 between breaths, but reduced it to 3 and did a bit better

I've been doing it for 3 years, generally every 4th workout at the gym would be in the pool. Strokes got smoother, but aerobic capacity never seemed to change
      05-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #126
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Finally getting back into running after a 3 month hiatus (have been preoccupied with mountain biking recently). Pushed through and got a 10k in before dinner last night, it wasn't easy, but managed an average pace of around 9:10. Felt great during the run, but calves are a little tight currently.

Pumped to get back into it. I actually just ordered a new Apple Sport watch (series 3) and the AirPod Pro's to modernize my running equipment a bit. I've been using an iPhone bicep strap and a pair of JBL's for years.

Excited to test them out and go completely phone-less.

Jordan,
Appreciate 2
iamwingman1203.50
cotmfk2023.50
      05-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #127
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

I’m on day 6 of 30 day 5k (minimum) everyday challenge. Anyone done it?
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #128
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I have not, but I like the idea behind it. Like anything in life that sucks, consistency is key in making it easier and more enojyable. Confidently get through a month of daily 5k's and build your endurance to start running longer distances.

What's your ultimate goal? Weight loss? Increase Endurance? Maintenance?

If weight loss is your primary goal, I highly recomend running fasted. Contrary to popular belief, I have found that by running on low glycogen levels I am able to go loner distances with less effort. Without a high concentration of glycogen in your system from a lack of food, your body resorts to burning glycogen stored in your fat cells. This has been shown to be extremely effective in burning body fat. Much quicker than attempting to burn fat with a build up of circuiting glucose (sugars) from eating.

I have been intermittent fasting (IF) for years now and have recently convinced my uncle who is obese to try it out. The results have been astounding. He has lost about 50 pounds in a little over 2 months and still eats whatever the hell he wants when not fasting. Pretty amazing stuff.

I specifically recommended it to him because running or any sort of intense cardio would have been unsafe at his level. Could have injured himself.
Appreciate 1
iamwingman1203.50
      05-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #129
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Just kind of doing it for the challenge. But I’d like to build endurance. Running 4 to 5 days a week has been my routine. So this will be a change up. Curious to see how I’ll feel at day 20 or so without any days off. I usually don’t eat after 6 at night. And I run in the morning before eating. So I guess 12 hours is considered fasted.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #130
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
I have not, but I like the idea behind it. Like anything in life that sucks, consistency is key in making it easier and more enojyable. Confidently get through a month of daily 5k's and build your endurance to start running longer distances.

What's your ultimate goal? Weight loss? Increase Endurance? Maintenance?

If weight loss is your primary goal, I highly recomend running fasted. Contrary to popular belief, I have found that by running on low glycogen levels I am able to go loner distances with less effort. Without a high concentration of glycogen in your system from a lack of food, your body resorts to burning glycogen stored in your fat cells. This has been shown to be extremely effective in burning body fat. Much quicker than attempting to burn fat with a build up of circuiting glucose (sugars) from eating.

I have been intermittent fasting (IF) for years now and have recently convinced my uncle who is obese to try it out. The results have been astounding. He has lost about 50 pounds in a little over 2 months and still eats whatever the hell he wants when not fasting. Pretty amazing stuff.

I specifically recommended it to him because running or any sort of intense cardio would have been unsafe at his level. Could have injured himself.
what is the length of time for not eating when you say run FASTED ? I sometimes go 12 + hours w/o eating and then run up to 10 or 12 miles and have no fueling issues. Maybe a sip of water before heading out.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #131
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I have not. Plenty of people do streaking, but that is a minimum of 1 mile per day, not 3.1. I definitely think it is possible, but soreness/recovery needs usually tell me when to take a day off. That said, I haven't taken a day off yet this month and have done 4+ miles each day.

Good luck!!!
      05-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #132
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
what is the length of time for not eating when you say run FASTED ? I sometimes go 12 + hours w/o eating and then run up to 10 or 12 miles and have no fueling issues. Maybe a sip of water before heading out.
The ideal fasting time varies from person to person. For someone like myself who is in pretty decent shape and active, I find that 18-hour fasts are enough in reducing body fat and maintaining muscle without feeling too lethargic throughout the day. I typically do these 18-hour fasts, 5 days a week Monday- Friday and leave the weekends open for random eating adventures and drinking. The concept is simple, a longer fasting time allows your body to “use up” circulating sugars more efficiently and transition into your fat stores as a last resort. Now, there is a bit more at play here on the cellular level and the liver, however I don’t want to bore you with too much science.

The golden fasting time is still widely debated, but most studies show anything in excess of 16 hours is ideal for most. To give you an idea, your liver is typically depleted of glucose completely (near 1% remaining) at around the 24-hour mark: (This isn't the goal, but am using it as a gauge).

I hope this helps, but encourage you to do your own research and talk to your doctor before trying as some medications can lose efficacy when fasting.

Recent study from Harvard:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

NCBI study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836017/

A-Z of Intermittent Fasting PDF: The A-Z of Intermittent Fasting_ Everything You Need to Know eBook.pdf
Appreciate 0