New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-19-2022, 06:15 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Anything that causes withdrawal symptoms=bad? (Caffeine)

Is this true or are there exceptions?

I think that I need to cut caffeine out of my sys. I only have an espresso each morning but the day before I skipped it and went out to do errands. Man, later on that day after I came back, I felt a slight headache, some eye strain. Maybe it was exacerbated by not eating too much, but, still, so damn annoying.

Anyone quit caffeine?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post

I think that I need to cut caffeine out of my sys. I only have an espresso each morning but the day before I skipped it and went out to do errands. Man, later on that day after I came back, I felt a slight headache, some eye strain. Maybe it was exacerbated by not eating too much, but, still, so damn annoying.

Anyone quit caffeine?
I quit caffeine over 25 years ago because of the throbbing withdrawal headaches I would get when I didn't ingest enough caffeine. Once I figured out it was caffeine withdrawal causing the headaches and I got the caffeine out of my system, I was fine.

Come to find out years later, I have 3 BHMT gene mutations and they alter my ability to break down caffeine. I can drink a sip or two here or there, but I won't do a full glass of Coke. I can handle the smaller amounts of caffeine in sweet tea but still don't do it.

If you ever have throbbing headaches, look for caffeine withdrawal as the culprit.
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 2
Llarry14473.00
      09-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

I used to not drink coffee because of probability of addiction.

But recently coffee is in my daily routine. For its nutrition and fluid intake.

I don’t think it’s bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I used to not drink coffee because of probability of addiction.

But recently coffee is in my daily routine. For its nutrition and fluid intake.

I don’t think it’s bad.
Are there nutritional benefits? I drink it for the perceived effect of waking me up faster but I dunno if I wanna take the downsides anymore. Also, isn't it a diaretic(sp?), so it steals fluids from the body?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are there nutritional benefits? I drink it for the perceived effect of waking me up faster but I dunno if I wanna take the downsides anymore. Also, isn't it a diaretic(sp?), so it steals fluids from the body?
I'm glad you asked...so I buy whole coffee beans from an organic market.
Coffee as a diuretic ? negligible.
Nutrition facts which seems to always change, presently it's about good micronutrients.

From reading of top runners and trainers , drinking coffee before training runs or after running is fine. Seems the water is enough to be beneficial.

I've googled ( https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...fits-of-coffee. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...atures/coffee/. https://www.thatscoffee.com/scoop/dr...-coffee-beans/. https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...-value-you-bet. )
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad you asked...so I buy whole coffee beans from an organic market.
Coffee as a diuretic ? negligible.
Nutrition facts which seems to always change, presently it's about good micronutrients.

From reading of top runners and trainers , drinking coffee before training runs or after running is fine. Seems the water is enough to be beneficial.

I've googled ( https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...fits-of-coffee. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...atures/coffee/. https://www.thatscoffee.com/scoop/dr...-coffee-beans/. https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...-value-you-bet. )
Ok, you seem to have done more research than me (I've really done none as I drink just for preference w/o caring about health until recently). So the diuretic effect is negligible, as long as I drink a glass of water to counteract or it's negligible, period? I just remember reading something that kinda made a deal about that.

I wonder if the health benefits (can you cliff notes here?) outweigh the nagging withdrawal effects? It was a bit of a pita that day, I just skipped one time and got a mild headache/eye strain. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to keep being 'hooked' on caffeine unless you're saying it's as good as eating broccoli lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:39 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, you seem to have done more research than me (I've really done none as I drink just for preference w/o caring about health until recently). So the diuretic effect is negligible, as long as I drink a glass of water to counteract or it's negligible, period? I just remember reading something that kinda made a deal about that.

I wonder if the health benefits (can you cliff notes here?) outweigh the nagging withdrawal effects? It was a bit of a pita that day, I just skipped one time and got a mild headache/eye strain. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to keep being 'hooked' on caffeine unless you're saying it's as good as eating broccoli lol.
If you are confident coffee is giving u withdraw then maybe quit. From the links above you can seemingly and certainly duplicate the positive of coffee with a well balanced diet.

In a few months I’ll probably take a break from coffee for an extended period. I like to change up my routine.

I know I don’t want to drink orange juice in the morning and I think it’s prefer black coffee over hot-chocolate and I’m tired of only drinking water and milk gets boring so coffee for me.

I don’t think I myself get withdrawal headaches from coffee. I do think certain foods do give me headaches like certain chocolate or extremely salty
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The body gets used to sugar, caffeine, nicotine very easily, so the fact that you had some mild withdrawal symptoms isn't surprising. The key to use of these things is the 80/20 rule, where you only do them 20% of the time, as the long-term effects of chronic use are negative, and easily found (except by those that are trying to find a reason to use them, which is complete bull).

The problem with the 80/20 rule, or any sort of moderation is that it's nearly impossible for most people to adhere to. Giving up and doing what you want is the easiest. It's not EASY, as it'll always be on your mind unless you're not health conscious. But it's easiest. In second place is obsession, re David Goggins, when you tell everyone and everything to F-off and you're going to quit/get fit/starve/etc. And wayyyyyyyy in 3rd place (50th place actually) is moderation.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

What's moderation though? I only have an espresso a day, not as if I'm drinking gallons. I feel like it's go decaf or just quit all together (I'll probably go the former route) as I personally don't see any benefits to taking caffeine.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #10
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 540i

I gave up caffeine 5 years ago after developing a sensitivity to it. Don't miss it.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #11
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Anyone quit caffeine?
You do not go cold turkey on caffeine bro. Get your fix before you do your thang.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 10:32 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
You do not go cold turkey on caffeine bro. Get your fix before you do your thang.
Tx, for sure, I still have some coffee capsules so will have to space them to eventually phase out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:23 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
What's moderation though? I only have an espresso a day, not as if I'm drinking gallons. I feel like it's go decaf or just quit all together (I'll probably go the former route) as I personally don't see any benefits to taking caffeine.
2 days a week would be a good rule, but if you're going to have a headache the other 5 then that won't work at all. An espresso a day might not seem like much, but that's 30 a month, and 365 of them a year, so taken in that context it's a lot. I suppose it depends on how your body can handle it, how much you weigh, etc. I'm 142 lbs, so it'd affect me more than someone that was 230 lbs.

The main benefit to caffeine is cognitive, and if you can do without that part, then you can do without it entirely. Many people though, even after having quit caffeine for 2 months still can't think in the morning. I'm damn glad I'm not one of those.

I personally never started the coffee thing because I chose soda, and it was one or the other. I don't drink a lot of soda, but I damn sure wasn't going to be under the influence of both of them, and alcohol, and nicotine, etc. You're a slave at that point.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
2 days a week would be a good rule, but if you're going to have a headache the other 5 then that won't work at all. An espresso a day might not seem like much, but that's 30 a month, and 365 of them a year, so taken in that context it's a lot. I suppose it depends on how your body can handle it, how much you weigh, etc. I'm 142 lbs, so it'd affect me more than someone that was 230 lbs.

The main benefit to caffeine is cognitive, and if you can do without that part, then you can do without it entirely. Many people though, even after having quit caffeine for 2 months still can't think in the morning. I'm damn glad I'm not one of those.

I personally never started the coffee thing because I chose soda, and it was one or the other. I don't drink a lot of soda, but I damn sure wasn't going to be under the influence of both of them, and alcohol, and nicotine, etc. You're a slave at that point.
Tx, I don't think it gave me any extra cognitive 'powers'...and maybe my waking up faster was psychological. In any event, I hate being 'hooked' and can't stand the withdrawal symptoms so I'm gonna wean myself now, it's getting ridiculous, I just missed one day and maybe it was a combo of me not eating enough before going out to run errands but still, felt pretty awful.

I quit soda a long time ago, to me, I thought it was gross, basically just sugar water, so I'm glad I don't have that habit tacked on.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13538.50
      09-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Tx, I don't think it gave me any extra cognitive 'powers'...and maybe my waking up faster was psychological. In any event, I hate being 'hooked' and can't stand the withdrawal symptoms so I'm gonna wean myself now, it's getting ridiculous, I just missed one day and maybe it was a combo of me not eating enough before going out to run errands but still, felt pretty awful.

I quit soda a long time ago, to me, I thought it was gross, basically just sugar water, so I'm glad I don't have that habit tacked on.
If we could all quit the things we know inherently are bad for us we'd be better for it, but when life is about pleasure and those things bring us pleasure, it starts to beg he question. Basically no one wants to live unhappily forever.

I'm twistedly lucky that my family has lots of addiction history, so I never touched the stuff. I do enjoy a bit of soda here and there, but that's where it ends. I'm 52 today, and no one on earth would guess me over 40.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
If we could all quit the things we know inherently are bad for us we'd be better for it, but when life is about pleasure and those things bring us pleasure, it starts to beg he question. Basically no one wants to live unhappily forever.

I'm twistedly lucky that my family has lots of addiction history, so I never touched the stuff. I do enjoy a bit of soda here and there, but that's where it ends. I'm 52 today, and no one on earth would guess me over 40.
Ya, I get some 'pleasure' drinking my espresso, it's part of my morning routine, but I don't think I'm losing much switching to decaf so it's no big sacrifice to me.

Glad you overcame your family stuff, must've been hard.

It's funny what ppl one meets online, I think we have quite a few similarities the more I find out, e.g. taste in cars, guitars, similar wt and age and I guess also personal upkeep, cuz just the other day someone said HELL NO insisting that I'm at most 30. 😲
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Ya, I get some 'pleasure' drinking my espresso, it's part of my morning routine, but I don't think I'm losing much switching to decaf so it's no big sacrifice to me.

Glad you overcame your family stuff, must've been hard.

It's funny what ppl one meets online, I think we have quite a few similarities the more I find out, e.g. taste in cars, guitars, similar wt and age and I guess also personal upkeep, cuz just the other day someone said HELL NO insisting that I'm at most 30. 😲
I think it was easy for me because I never got addicted to it. I suppose I'm mildly addicted to sugar, I mean, who isn't, but other than that I just never participated, so it's no biggie.

Yeah, we seem to be similar. I adore coffee BTW, but won't drink it for fear it'll own my soul. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

For the record, I never found coffee/caffeine addictive, not like chocolate, for example. However, even that I already cut back and can't even remember the last time I had one...maybe cuz the quality has really gone downhill w makers going w cheaper ingredients.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13538.50
      09-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For the record, I never found coffee/caffeine addictive, not like chocolate, for example. However, even that I already cut back and can't even remember the last time I had one...maybe cuz the quality has really gone downhill w makers going w cheaper ingredients.
does your skin ever itch after eating lots of mediocre quality chocolate ? or lots of any kind of store bought snack high in fat and sugar content ?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
does your skin ever itch after eating lots of mediocre quality chocolate ? or lots of any kind of store bought snack high in fat and sugar content ?
No, is that common?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #21
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, is that common?
Think people with a dermatitis eczema type condition and diabetes the itching symptoms are somewhat common.

There was an article in the Wash Post today about the gut microbiome and that junk food can alter the gut and promote inflammation.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When I worked for the Navy, multiple coffees every single day. To the point my piss smelled.

Got ill, ended up in the hospital with Montezuma's revenge having taken up residence in my liver. They sucked a portion out thru a hole in my side. Needless to say, I was on morphine for several days in the hospital. BUT, I kicked the caffeine habit.

Switched jobs, I started with decaff, only enjoy caffeine on Wednesday morning. Figured I could keep the monkey off my back, but still enjoy the morning. Then it was sometimes Monday, occasionally Thursday. . . OK, now I have a cup every day.

A single day without either coffee in the morning and/or diet Coke in the afternoon and I get the withdrawal headaches. Brutal, but after about 2 days you could be back to normal. Craving will still be there.

Test procedure: Drink the decaff. When you get the headache, have a late coffee or soda. When pain almost immediately goes away, you will know.