New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #45
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
There will always be cheap, low end cars with MT, so what's the big deal. If you don't want the highest performance and superior technology, then BMW is not car for you in the first place.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #46
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSF View Post
Then explain the 5GT. Or the multitude of niche Minis.
Once again, BMW sell these cars globally not just North America and their appeal and cost effective development means they are easy to conceive and sell at high profit which is why you will be seeing a 5er Gran Turismo replacement as well as new MINI's.
      07-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #47
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
So, all the manual transmission cars that were produced since the car was invented will suddenly cease to exist? Will people only buy brand new cars that are not offered with a manual???

I made sure my son learned to drive a manual just because it is going away. It will be a "lost art" so to speak, and anyone that can actually drive one will have the advantage of being a able to enjoy all the great cars that came with one. Every E30 M3, any Porsche worthy of being called a Porsche, a classic Ferrari with a gated shifter.

My 16 year old son has a 2007 Z4 with a 6 speed manual and loves the fact that NONE of his friends can drive his car. It takes SKILL.
I'm not ragging on manuals. I actually prefer them. My daughter still drives the manual transmission car I gave her. I taught her how to operate a manual transmission car.

Red:
I doubt that'll occur anytime soon. Even if/when it substantively occurs, I doubt there'll be anything sudden about it.

Blue:
I think that in time, the answer to that question is mostly "yes." I don't think manual transmissions will disappear completed in the consumer automobile marketplace, but I do think they'll be found only on exotic or "bargain basement" new cars and on certain trucks. I think the days of their presence in the mainstream automobile marketplace are numbered and that number is somewhere in the foreseeable future. It may not occur in five years, but, absent a major breakthrough in manual transmission technology, it's certainly something I believe will occur within 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
You can't buy a new Ferrari with a MT though... the last one that was built was a 599 in 2011 - and all the Ferrari customers basically voted with their wallet and bought the DCT. It's the same thing happening here.
Well, there you have it. I think if Ferrari can see its way into the future without a manual transmission car, the rest of the car industry will too.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #48
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: A-10C

If this does happen, then I'd stop driving mine. Don't know what I'd do, but I'd stop.

Just in the hopes, it's worth more in the future (20% odds) .. or at least for the novelty of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #49
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
About time. No point wasting resources to cater for few dinosaurs.

Your attitude is the reason this is a problem. Some of us prefer having a choice.
      07-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #50
General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: xxxx

The article linked to the original is from 2014.

In the UK we have around 75% sales of manual cars for total cars sold, across the pond it looks like you have 7% cars sold were manual.

So that coupled with emissions, engine power, the American & Chinese markets both of which struggle with manual cars (hence low volume sales) is killing off manuals in say 2.0l and above.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #51
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M View Post
Cannot find better words.

Time to save for a Ferrari.

Driving my E90 M3 I was waiting to trade it for an F80... Now, I plan to keep it and add the F80.

New BMW bosses = Retards.
I find that last phrase does not have precedence on an automotive forum especially if members like myself have children with disabilities.
      07-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #52
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Your attitude is the reason this is a problem. Some of us prefer having a choice.
Plenty of cars out there, take your pick. Your problem is not wanting choice. Your problem is wanting German engineering, best of its class, but refusing to accept technological progress. These are two conflicting goals.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #53
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Fair enough, the new GT model and the next-gen GT3 having a manual available may well be trial balloons or full-on headfakes -- but the GT4 is real, and when asked in multiple interviews why they decided to make that car with a manual rather than the PDK which the engineers acknowledge would have made for a faster car, Andreas Preuninger said, "To show people that we listened." He also explains that the guiding philosophy of the GT4 was to make a car for people who were less concerned with that last tenth of a second on track and more interested in additional driver engagement.
So, they'll offer a manual for guys paying $150k + who DON'T want the car to perform as well as it can. That would indeed be listening. To the lunatic fringe. But hey, not my circus, not my monkeys.
Yea- I mean, why bother with the driver at all?! For my $150k+ I want that thing hot lapping while I read Roundel in the passenger seat.

I care more about the means than the end. Magazine times and Ring laps don't do much for me on a nice day, on a twisty road.
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #54
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
I envision the M2,M3 and M4 will keep their manuals through the next generation but M5 and M6 will not as it is no longer justifiable as they are slower, heavy and heavier on fuel consumption.

The xDrive will be optional as BMW have markets for both RWD and xDrive.
An m6 is slower than an m2, m3 &m4?

That's news to me...

Everything else- I'm with you. I'm going to really enjoy the last of its kind. My 2016 m6 is the first frozen black, Opal white coupe with a MT built.

Thought there would be more but nope. Makes me think I'll keep it around for the long haul.
      07-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #55
Jashan
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR
Fuck.

Driving my E90 M3 I was waiting to trade it for an F80... Now, I plan to keep it and add the F80.

It's a business their goal is to make money not please a group of dinosaurs
      07-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #56
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGregory
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Except they will loose the die hard manual drivers, like me, to some other brand.

Or I will have to pick up a lifetime supply of 135's. Honestly though, I may be doing that anyways seeing the new stuff coming out.
And what brand may that be? By the time BMW phases out manuals, i feel almost all the major car manufacturers will be using some sort of Auto transmission.
This....
      07-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #57
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Not surprising. Heck, Ferrari of all manufacturers did away with manual transmissions so it doesn't surprise me to see BMW follow suit. BMW hopefully will focus on further weight reduction and handling, that's far more important than bhp and transmission type.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #58
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR
Fuck.

It's a business their goal is to make money not please a group of dinosaurs
Dinosaurs...I'm 26? :
      07-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #59
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

Drives: f80

I said a long time ago that I will never have a car that isn't a manual. If this is true, then goodbye BMW. I don't care if a DCT equipped car is .2 seconds faster to 60. If I wanted the fastest possible car I could afford, I'd be driving a Z06.

Seriously, whats the difference between 3.3s and 3.5s to 60mph. And don't say .2 seconds, jack asses
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #60
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I said a long time ago that I will never have a car that isn't a manual.
Hate to say it, but I think a decade from now if you refuse to only drive manual transmission cars you'll be shopping for only used cars. Manual gearboxes are going the way of the dodo bird.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #61
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR
Fuck.

Make that a very used Ferrari. They have not offered a manual shifter in quite a while.

Pity that.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #62
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Rather they stick with 6MT, further develop weight loss tech, and focus on creating 400-500whp cars with weights ~ 2800-3000 lbs.

You can advance 6MT. What about rev anticipation (rev matching) to help speed up the shifts? Some manu's doing that now. Pretty cool. I'd still rather do it myself, but as long as I could turn it off I'd be happy.
      07-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #63
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Van Meel said: “From a technical standpoint, the future doesn’t look bright for manual gearboxes. ..."
Surprise!
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #64
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I said a long time ago that I will never have a car that isn't a manual.
Hate to say it, but I think a decade from now if you refuse to only drive manual transmission cars you'll be shopping for only used cars. Manual gearboxes are going the way of the dodo bird.
Only if we let it.

If we buy them, they will still make them.

Personally, I will never buy a BMW without a clutch pedal. If they do not offer it, I will absolutely NOT buy one.
Appreciate 5
      07-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #65
N & M
Captain
Rep

Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I find that last phrase does not have precedence on an automotive forum especially if members like myself have children with disabilities.
It is sad to read some of the hurtful comments that frequent these forums but I do to tend to relate to frustration voiced by the "tradtional BMW" fans.

Speaking with many insiders in the company though, you cannot deny that there is a clash of cultures as the brand tries to define itself in the new and changing consumer automotive climate.

There can be no doubt that BMW is working very hard to avoid being the next Kodac but I believe it is also neglecting the core customers who created the cult enthusiasm that propelled the brand desire and sales growth over the past 20 years.

Surely, now that Toyota is on board to share the development cost burden, there can be room to create fascination cars that keep us "dinosaurs" happy and perhaps even make BMW some money.

It set the mould with M that was copied by all including VM's old employer Audi, now it is sad to see that they have turned their back on the very spirit that sold those basic cars to those who dreamed of having a taste of something special.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #66
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Realistically, the general population of buyers probably don't need more than 400hp to drive to work and push it on the weekends. Heck, even that might be pushing it. I rather BMW focus on reducing weight and continuing to advance carbon fibre technology.
This!

Stop increasing the power to levels that are pretty much ridiculous. Let us keep our MT's, and focus on reducing the weight.

Unfortunately, that option does not sell cars to people who buy them strictly on magazine specs.
I definitely don't want them to stop increasing power levels. I would like to see at least the M3/M4 go up 5-15hp/tq every few years with added weight savings and better exterior/interior options (IE CF, no more chrome, better wheels, and even better exhaust, etc)

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0