New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G11

How does the fact that EU5 engines are no longer permitted in London effect your BMW?

New London Rules and UK cities to follow mean that all EU5 engines are no longer permitted in London ULEZ Zone without paying an additional £12.50 charge on top of Congestion charge.

There are also plans to extend the London ULEZ Zone, and introductions of these ULEZ Zones will be in Southhampton, Brighton, Bristol, and Oxford.

Largely in time perhaps all major cities will charge pre EU6 cars. In Europe this is already in force allowing only EU6 engines.

This means that essentially used BMW's will not be appealing inside their network, and existing owners will be stuck either upgrading to a newer car when they may not want to, or paying the charges.

Whilst this might not be an issue to some, it may be in terms of those who wish NOT to use PCP and pay the 11.8% to upgrade. In other words approximately £200 a month just on interest on a decent priced used car!

This is after the Mayor of London has brought forward the demonising of EU5 engines 2 years earlier! ( Thanks for that then )

Noting that this means a person may not wish to buy your car off you in time, or that your residual will become exceptionally low. Or that BMW will have trouble selling any EU5 engine - what is the answer?

Well. Mercedes (bless them) have already engineered EU6 engines into their cars as far back as 2014.

And Audi are recalling many of their engines for a similar reason.

I also noted many press clippings that stated that BMW will be retro upgrading their software of EU5 / 6 cars to improve or reduce NOX emissions.

Whilst the implications of these clippings are unclear, one thing is for sure, BMW have not yet commented to me personally, and the dealer I asked had no clue any of this was happening.

I wonder how you feel, if this affects you or your predictions. Would you for instance now purchase an EU5 engine, i.e. a car that falls before the new rip off VED rules, but late enough to be a good used car at a fair price.

Perhaps you should ring your technicians and ask what these press clippings pertain to. So far, after trying to purchase a car, I have not been responded to in around 10-15 days BMW HQ also had no knowledge of the enclosed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
magalhaes
Rep

Drives: 128i conv.

Is this only for diesel cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G11

Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Drives: X3 M40i

I believe the software upgrades would only improve nox emissions and not fully upgrade engine to EU 6 standards as a lot of those have extra hardware, it may have been BMW's way of staving of these sorts of bans or charging of relatively modern cars but if they are going to be banned anyway probably not worth their while doing the upgrades?

It will always be a movable feast with these regulations, as of 1st April this year there is a new test for EU 6 and no Diesel engine currently complies, there seems to be a grace period where new car tax was raised by 1 band for these diesels and new real world test figures will be used from September so how long before 1st Gen EU6 get added to the ban list?

I just sold a 2012 X5 which was EU5 and considering the bad press I don't think it affected the 2nd hand value although it always hard to judge
Appreciate 0