New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #45
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
I'm done here...what waste of time. Discusing about a dipstick!!!!

1. Add one if it makes you happy.
2. Call BMW and complain. Most probably they will add one on the next gen.
3. Start a riot, a movement....

Good luck
1. It WOULD make me happy.

2. I WILL call BMW. I am sure they can't wait to hear from me. "Operators are standing by....."

3. Riot? YES, what a great idea. Let's DO IT!

:mad0 260:
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #46
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Engineers do not do a change just because its for the better of the consumer but for the better for them or the company. Having the ability to tell consumers that our car tells you this and that. Lets you know when the brake pads are getting low, your battery is on its last cell, etc. Engineers do things to complicate the simplest of tasks. I come across a lot of engineer made work that is a PITA to work on because they said it would never fail but it does. I just want to find them and tell them "Keep it simple, stupid".

Its a lot better for us whom still change their own oil, get down and dirty on their car and aren't lazy people like most of the world is getting to a point. Its crazy that I have to drive my car for 5-10 minutes before it even registers and I hope that its telling me the truth.

The e-dipstick is dumb. Having motor oil in your car for more than 10k miles is dumb, want to know why? One word: sludge. I also hate the e-LSD and rain sense wipers but those are another subject.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #47
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Engineers do not do a change just because its for the better of the consumer but for the better for them or the company. Having the ability to tell consumers that our car tells you this and that. Lets you know when the brake pads are getting low, your battery is on its last cell, etc. Engineers do things to complicate the simplest of tasks. I come across a lot of engineer made work that is a PITA to work on because they said it would never fail but it does. I just want to find them and tell them "Keep it simple, stupid".

Its a lot better for us whom still change their own oil, get down and dirty on their car and aren't lazy people like most of the world is getting to a point. Its crazy that I have to drive my car for 5-10 minutes before it even registers and I hope that its telling me the truth.

The e-dipstick is dumb. Having motor oil in your car for more than 10k miles is dumb, want to know why? One word: sludge. I also hate the e-LSD and rain sense wipers but those are another subject.
Exactly! One guy on here earlier said he went 17,000 miles without changing his oil. Why? Because the "electronic sensors" told him it was ok. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

Would ANYONE want to buy his car from him at some later point? I hope not.
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #48
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Drives: women wild

I was optimistic when I first got the car.

Years of success with BMW engineering gave me faith in the design. It only had to take one oil change to show me just how much BMW missed the mark in this area.

Maybe they got it right with the F8x, but it has been my experience that the refresh rate of the sensor/ECU in the E9x just doesn't cut it. This is especially problematic when you have a motor with tolerances that don't allow for ANY overfilling. The granularity just isn't there, which makes absolutely no sense.

I followed the BMW blog to a 'T' and was 100% screwed by the sensor not updating correctly each time oil was added and a reading was taken. It was giving me inconsistent readings from start-up to start-up without even having changed the oil level. What the fuck is that?

All of this would have been easily alleviated by just having a dipstick I could pull out after each .25L is added past the 8L mark.

I honestly believe that this was added to the car to drive more owners to their service centers for oil changes.

Let me get out my tinfoil hat.

Last edited by nholmes; 12-17-2015 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: grammarz
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #49
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Some people don't work on their own cars because they are physically unable - not because they are lazy. There are many reasons that people can't do their own work - doesn't make them lazy or stupid.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #50
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335xi 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Some people don't work on their own cars because they are physically unable - not because they are lazy. There are many reasons that people can't do their own work - doesn't make them lazy or stupid.

Physically unable? Unless a thick wallet full of cash doesn't allow the person to lay under the car or lean over the fender into the engine bay, then I can't seem to see someone physically unable to work on their car.

If they want to please the masses who buy their car, do both. Can't possible hurt to add a dam dipstick. There are more than enough dipsticks with a very good vacuum sealed design out there to implement into this motor or any motor bmw offers.
      12-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #51
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Well a person is unable to because of a disability or whatever reason then thats my bad.

But in general car companies (and lots of other companies) are just taking the fun out of working on your own car and going with the masses of letting people be lazy. Thats just what I see in our society today and a totally different subject than whats at hand.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #52
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Buck that trend and do what you can or buy car that meets your needs better.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #53
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdout View Post
Physically unable? Unless a thick wallet full of cash doesn't allow the person to lay under the car or lean over the fender into the engine bay, then I can't seem to see someone physically unable to work on their car.
I was speaking from personal experience - I am physically unable "to lay under the car or lean over the fender into the engine bay", but I am far from lazy. I also know many Wounded Warriors and others who cannot do it physically. You need to use more brain and less brawn.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #54
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was speaking from personal experience - I am physically unable "to lay under the car or lean over the fender into the engine bay", but I am far from lazy. I also know many Wounded Warriors and others who cannot do it physically. You need to use more brain and less brawn.
Physical disability is understood. That should not have to be said. I'm directing my comment towards the lazy and/or fat people who bitch and complain about working on a car.

And in regards to physical disabilities, those people will take their car to a trusted mechanic. And in defense of said mechanics, I think they rather a car company make their job easier rather than make it more tedious, like waiting around 5 minutes for the sensor to read what the oil level is.

Never meant anything bad or called people with physical disabilities lazy. It's understood that some just can't physically do the work.
      12-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #55
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Never meant anything bad or called people with physical disabilities lazy. It's understood that some just can't physically do the work.
Understood - thanks.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #56
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Anyone have the Bimmerworld dipstick installed? Curious to see where it sits in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #57
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

These are expensive cars. Why not have both a sensor and a dipstick?
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #58
Jonathan@BimmerWorld
Rep

Drives: M3, LMR-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Anyone have the Bimmerworld dipstick installed? Curious to see where it sits in the engine bay.
Not the greatest shot in the world, as it doesn't give you a full view of the engine bay, but this is from the instructions and you least get an idea of the location and ease-of-access.

Hope this helps:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Exactly! One guy on here earlier said he went 17,000 miles without changing his oil. Why? Because the "electronic sensors" told him it was ok. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

Would ANYONE want to buy his car from him at some later point? I hope not.
LOL. That's probably me. I have 293,000 miles on that car and drive it 160 miles a 2 to 3 days a week and on roads that you'd beg to drive on. How about you?

It consumes a liter of oil about every 6,000 miles with a oil pan gasket leak and rear crank seal leak. Stop talking about what you don't know about. If you can't understand the concept of dielectric measurement of oil to determine the contamination level of it, then that's on you, not me and not BMW.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #60
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

This is just funny. I bet I DIY a lot more than you do. Why do you need a dipstick to change oil? It drains, it holds 7 quarts, you change the filter, add in 7 quarts of oil. Drive the car, let CBS get a new reading an call it a day. When I change my oil (I've done 26 or so oil changes on N52s) I don't even look at the E-dipstick for a day or two. I know how much oil is in the engine because I watched myself put it in. It's not like the old oil hides in the block somewhere (and says "no, no I don't want to come out!"), or the new oil goes into the fuel tank when you pour it in the valve cover... LOL.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #61
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
These are expensive cars. Why not have both a sensor and a dipstick?
That is a valid question, perhaps you need to buy a BMW diesel to get both.

I guess most BMW users these days don't need a dipstick. What is simpler than checking the oil while sat in the car and just reading a screen? That is if you are that bothered, and need to know the physical oil level.

I'd personally prefer both a sensor and a dipstick, but for me I'm only really bothered if the sensor is not working, then you get a warning anyway.

In this day and age the sensor is more important than a dipstick, as it is doing three jobs, measuring oil condition for the CBS regime, oil temperature and oil level.

BTW, the electronic display does show oil level drop in segments, so you can see how low it is. You don't have to wait for a 'quart' (litre) drop to monitor and top off the oil level.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #62
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@BimmerWorld View Post
Not the greatest shot in the world, as it doesn't give you a full view of the engine bay, but this is from the instructions and you least get an idea of the location and ease-of-access.

Hope this helps:
This is great, thank you for this.

Does the kit require permanent removal of the passenger side cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #63
Jonathan@BimmerWorld
Rep

Drives: M3, LMR-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
This is great, thank you for this.

Does the kit require permanent removal of the passenger side cover?
Not at all... The plastic cover can remain in place.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #64
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

If they want to please the masses who buy their car, do both. Can't possible hurt to add a dam dipstick. There are more than enough dipsticks with a very good vacuum sealed design out there to implement into this motor or any motor bmw offers.
I need dual hip replacements. Tales from a misspent youth. I can't do all of the work on the car that I would like to do.
Next.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #65
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I need dual hip replacements. Tales from a misspent youth. I can't do all of the work on the car that I would like to do.
Next.
Quote:
Physical disability is understood. That should not have to be said. I'm directing my comment towards the lazy and/or fat people who bitch and complain about working on a car.

And in regards to physical disabilities, those people will take their car to a trusted mechanic. And in defense of said mechanics, I think they rather a car company make their job easier rather than make it more tedious, like waiting around 5 minutes for the sensor to read what the oil level is.

Next.
      12-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #66
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LOL. That's probably me. I have 293,000 miles on that car and drive it 160 miles a 2 to 3 days a week and on roads that you'd beg to drive on. How about you?

It consumes a liter of oil about every 6,000 miles with a oil pan gasket leak and rear crank seal leak. Stop talking about what you don't know about. If you can't understand the concept of dielectric measurement of oil to determine the contamination level of it, then that's on you, not me and not BMW.
Wow dude. Pretty snarky response.

Take a chill pill.

"Stop talking about what you don't know about"????? Geez....it's the Christmas season. Relax.
Appreciate 0