New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

07-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
jimmylee528i
Rep

Drives: 99 BMW 528i

Very low idle

My 99 528i, was running "normal" for a car with 211,000 miles, when I drove it last and parked it. Two days later, it started really hard and would only idle extremely low and spit and sputter. When trying to raise rpm's by applying the accelerator pedal (no matter how light I pushed the pedal down) it would die. I let it set for a couple more days and it started hard again and was spitting and sputtering and then there was a few loud knocks in the top end of engine on the spark plug side of engine. Then the knocking stopped, but continued to spit and sputter and die when pressing accelerator. Again two days later went to tow it home and tried to start it to get it out of the parking stall for towing and it was the same spitting and sputtering and would die if touching the gas pedal at all, but no knocking this time, just the one time it knocked. I should mention that the last time it did drive, it had been raining a lot.
Please help, I love this car!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
jimmylee528i
Rep

Now it's not starting at all
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Check the fuel system, sounds like a problem with it. Check injectors, also did you ever replace fuel pump or fuel filter?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
jimmylee528i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
Check the fuel system, sounds like a problem with it. Check injectors, also did you ever replace fuel pump or fuel filter?
No I have not. That's what I'm going to try first. It broke down while i was in hospital and it was parked. Now I'm home and getting some ideas on where to start while I heal. Thank you for giving me a starting point.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
jimmylee528i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylee528i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
No I have not. That's what I'm going to try first. It broke down while i was in hospital and it was parked. Now I'm home and getting some ideas on where to start while I heal. Thank you for giving me a starting point.
Ok, now the fuel filter has been changed, battery charged. It cranks, but no start, it only just briefly and slightly tried to start while cranking
Appreciate 0