New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #133
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Where in the hell to you mount the gun rack?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #134
Conissah
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
You can lease a Tesla for $399/month. They are highly affordable and offer zero exclusivity.
Image is everything, we all know that. You didn't fool anyone by picking the cheapest Model 3 offered with no AP. Adding AP brings that lease up to $496 a month. The base car alone is 14% above the average new car price in the US, adding AP increases that gap up to 34%. I stand by my original statement, for whatever most reason people (not car people) nowadays equate driving a Tesla to being wealthy.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16943.00
      11-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #135
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Image is everything, we all know that. You didn't fool anyone by picking the cheapest Model 3 offered with no AP. Adding AP brings that lease up to $496 a month. The base car alone is 14% above the average new car price in the US, adding AP increases that gap up to 34%. I stand by my original statement, for whatever most reason people (not car people) nowadays equate driving a Tesla to being wealthy.

Definitely that's the case in the Northern Virginia area...
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16943.00
Conissah1574.50
      11-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #136
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Or place your <gun manufacturer> stickers?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16943.00
      11-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #137
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And the thing is so far from a luxury car. I've been in one 3 times. The rear seat is a joke. The interior, while clean and neat, is not luxurious. The human-fetch feature is still in Beta; seriously, just walk to the thing and get in it, LOL.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 4
Conissah1574.50
P111541.50
Salty Dog3572.50
premier3is1627.00
      11-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #138
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Or place your <gun manufacturer> stickers?
Or the "Coexist" bumper sticker.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      11-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #139
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

I want to see a sub $30k car (before tax credits) with 350+ mile range. I want to see some real advancement in their self driving tech (I was not very impressed with my friends model 3 self driving). I want to see better build quality. Not a useless truck. Hopefully all those $100 deposits can fund some of the latter.
May I add: a normal dashboard without a giant telescreen; grille in the front; and just a simple RWD sub-6 second car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #140
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
For a lot of us, like me, the place I like to get away from tech is when I drive. The Model 3 shoves the tech right in your face, you can't turn it off. It's a goddamned cell phone with a seat and wheels.
While I'm not opposed to tech in the car (and I do like a lot of the self driving tech and over the air updates Tesla does). I do just find the interior of the Tesla rather bland. It's not super comfortable, definitely not luxurious (even in the top models) and by having nothing but that center display it means everything takes several taps to accomplish.

Quote:
May I add: a normal dashboard without a giant telescreen; grille in the front; and just a simple RWD sub-6 second car.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the one center screen, although if it was under $30k with 350+ range I could understand it as a cost savings.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16943.00
      11-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #141
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

It's cheaper to code interfaces onto a display than to build tactile knobs and levers in a car.
USN is replacing their ships touch screen with throttles and knobs following investigation result from the USS John McCain incident that took out some sailor's lives. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450

The giant slab of glass might as well be an extension of your smartphone (which in many cases it is). Considering laws against driving and use of smartphones, I am surprised lawmakers allow growth of these giant slabs. Muscle memory enables the driver straight to the dial or lever for adjustments. When such adjustments are embedded in menus and interface tree structure, how long does one take to get there? Sure one can program in their favourite, but it still take eyes from the road to double check your menu locations. Well let's compensate that with more functionality like Autopilot.

Like Efthreeoh, I find myself appreciating the simplicity and unfettered driving experience from older vehicles.
Appreciate 6
stein_325i25051.00
Efthreeoh16943.00
F32Fleet3539.50
SherM4n630.00
OrcaPod73.50
      11-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #142
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
It's cheaper to code interfaces onto a display than to build tactile knobs and levers in a car.
USN is replacing their ships touch screen with throttles and knobs following investigation result from the USS John McCain incident that took out some sailor's lives. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450

The giant slab of glass might as well be an extension of your smartphone (which in many cases it is). Considering laws against driving and use of smartphones, I am surprised lawmakers allow growth of these giant slabs. Muscle memory enables the driver straight to the dial or lever for adjustments. When such adjustments are embedded in menus and interface tree structure, how long does one take to get there? Sure one can program in their favourite, but it still take eyes from the road to double check your menu locations. Well let's compensate that with more functionality like Autopilot.

Like Efthreeoh, I find myself appreciating the simplicity and unfettered driving experience from older vehicles.
I think the peak development of ergonomic car driving environments was with the BMW E30.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-28-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:45 AM   #143
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep

Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

I can't believe they presented this fugly crap as serious move.
And that "bulletproof" glass,what an embarrassment.
And last one, that fake thug pull 2wd vs 4wd, Tesla how low you can go
      11-28-2019, 03:02 AM   #144
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

I wonder how many replies the thread here about the new Chevy Silverado had...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #145
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
I can't believe they presented this fugly crap as serious move.
And that "bulletproof" glass,what an embarrassment.
And last one, that fake thug pull 2wd vs 4wd, Tesla how low you can go
Well, bulletproof glass is supposed to shatter when bullets hit it. What was embarrassing is they didn't actually use a bullet.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #146
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Facts...

Appreciate 2
nick37531005.00
3GFX722.50
      11-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #147
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Quote:
No no no.. you mount an entire gun!

Appreciate 1
RM72870.00
      11-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #148
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 BSM F82

Quote:
I really liked the physics lesson video. I think the Tesla truck will win over Honda Ridgeline owners. Hopefully there is room in the bedspace for a Ridgeline-style bed-trunk and Tesla puts one in it. And if the tailgate opens both horizontally and vertically.

But the country boys in my neck of the woods who run American and Dixie Flags out of the stake holes are not going to buy this truck. All and all out of the approximately 3 million light-duty truck sales per year, I'm not seeing a disruptive change with the cybertruck (stupid name BTW). Honda should be worried, not Ford/Chevy/Dodge.
+1

Trucks are a status symbol for many where I’m from. The Cybertruck won’t win over most of the old Ford/Chevy/Ram owners but it may be an entry point for some younger people, especially those in the city.

On a side note, the Cybertruck will be pretty sick off-road. Instant torque, nothing in the underside to drag, great approach/break over/departure angles...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #149
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I foresee add-ons to turn the cybertruck look like something from Mad Max. But there goes the range.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #150
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I wonder how many replies the thread here about the new Chevy Silverado had...
Because Tesla is a black and white affair: you are either an extremely annoying Tesla fanboi, or you just plain hate the brand, Elon, any car they produce and all the annoying Tesla fanbois.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #151
Calebrity
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW M235

I think with a few scoops it’d look like a lifted Countach

https://blogmedia.dealerfire.com/wp-...ont-view_o.jpg
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #152
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
I foresee add-ons to turn the cybertruck look like something from Mad Max. But there goes the range.
Paint it flat black (er… wrap it in "frosted" black vinyl) and it'd be a nice match with the Lockheed F-117 stealth fighter
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #153
premier3is
Major
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
I said it in a different Tesla thread, but the majority of their sales model is brand image / exclusivity. I have it, and you don't / cant afford it. The hype train for Tesla is unreal.
You can lease a Tesla for $399/month. They are highly affordable and offer zero exclusivity.
Yea.... you missing the key part....

With 5000 down...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #154
premier3is
Major
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
And the thing is so far from a luxury car. I've been in one 3 times. The rear seat is a joke. The interior, while clean and neat, is not luxurious. The human-fetch feature is still in Beta; seriously, just walk to the thing and get in it, LOL.
Totally agree, been in the Model S a few times and the interior is absolutely horrible. I went on a business trip and the hotels shuttle car was a Model S so they took me to my location daily.

I remember bringing it up to the driver once and asked how does he feel about the car and even he said "interior of this car is horrible... but in terms of speed, it will destroy any vehicle you see nearby lol. Also has a nice panoramic moonroof haha"

Just about sums it up right.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50