New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

02-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

"There's no such thing as a football hero"

Here's an interesting article from the recent Police Magazine; your thoughts?

"There’s No Such Thing as a Football Hero
Athletes perform amazing feats of daring but no one shoots at them on the field.

by Ed Nowicki

Contrary to what the TV sportscasters say, there are no football heroes. This isn't a revelation, since there never were any. I know, since I watched most of the televised college bowl games this past holiday season.

I watched Badgers, Cowboys, Bulldogs, Scarlet Knights and Golden Knights, Mountaineers, Bears, Volunteers, Spartans, Ducks, Beavers, Owls, Wildcats, Cougars, and on and on. I even saw some Horned Frogs and Vandals. Not a hero among them, football or otherwise.

I listened as the talking head commentators spoke about the leadership abilities and sacrifices of the players and how some are heroes. Don't get the wrong idea; I love watching college football and the bowl games. And the players are gifted athletes that may eventually earn millions of dollars a year, if they have what it takes to make it in the NFL. I'm amazed at some of their physical abilities. But heroes? I don't think so!

In 2012 a new home for the "College Football Hall of Fame" will open in Atlanta. At a cost of $50 million, the College Football Hall will move from South Bend, Ind., to a new state-of-the-art (whatever that means?) 50,000-square-foot building. Not a bad testament to the players who, red-shirt freshmen aside, spend a maximum of four years getting an education through scholarships. Good for them. God bless them.

But contrast that museum with the National Law Enforcement Museum, which is planned to open in 2013. The LE museum was scaled back from an original four-level 100,000-square-foot facility to three levels and 55,000 square feet because the organizers could not raise enough money to realize their vision. The cost is now about $80 million and less than half of that has been raised. Somehow law enforcement is always asked to make more with less and, somehow, we usually make do.

Still, the priorities of the American people are clearly out of order. Thousands of officers have died in the line of duty, and hundreds of thousands of men and women continue to serve and protect. They are heroes who put their lives on the line 24/7.

Raising money for a College Football Hall of Fame is no problem. But try to get a National Law Enforcement Museum built, and severe cost cutting is implemented. Raising money is still a big issue and I wouldn't put any bet on that 2013 opening date.

I've made it a point to do what I can to donate money to the building of the National Law Enforcement Museum (www.nleomf.org/museum/) and to try to encourage others to honor some of America's real heroes by giving a little cash. I encourage you to do the same."
      02-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
angrybaker
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: black 135i 2009

[x] meh
[x] cant wait for football season to start
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybaker View Post
[x] meh
[x] cant wait for football season to start
Yeah, you're the kind of person that illustrates the point perfectly. Just remember who makes it possible for you to sit on your ass and watch the game without getting your TV stolen. Apathy sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
inabis
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'm on the same page. I don't and never had understood why there is this crazy obsession with sports. People trying to live vicariously through others I guess.
      02-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: e92 335

Godbless our men and women in service. I have nothing but respect for soldiers.

These boys who get paid millions to "play ball", aren't hero's by any means. Remember that Browns player who drove drunk and killed a guy down in Miami earlier this year?

Here's the article:

http://perilsoftransportation.blogsp...s-dui-but.html

I still love my football though
      02-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I get the article, and it does ring true for the majority of athletes who let their fame and fortune go to their heads. But there are some real hero's among the football world (a great example: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...218/myronrolle).

But I take issue with the story when it comes to what the author seems to define as a hero. Clearly, this is a police magazine, and he obviously has a bias in his writing, but you don't need to get shot at to be considered a hero. Standing up for a cause worth fighting for, helping those who cannot help themselves, doing something extraordinary, and many other actions are worthy of someone being labeled a hero. What Rodney Scott did during the Ole Miss/Auburn game this year is worthy of him being called a hero. His awareness of the situation and split second judgment is likely the reason that Zac Etheridge is not paralyzed today.
      02-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
88Brimble
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 325i

Law enforcement officers are the reason people don't care about law enforcement. I'd much rather go to a football museum then a cop museum.

Sorry, I know I sound like an idiot...but the cops I've had to deal with are the reason I don't care anymore. I know I'm not the only one, and that's part of the reason they aren't able to raise money for their little museum.

Soldiers are a different story, they are true heroes....I doubt anyone thinks football players are the kind of heroes our soldiers are, really really doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Yeah, you're the kind of person that illustrates the point perfectly. Just remember who makes it possible for you to sit on your ass and watch the game without getting your TV stolen. Apathy sucks.
I was arrested for something I didn't do, instead of investigating which is what cops are SUPPOSE to do. They just threw me in jail and let the DA and lawyers sort it out. I ended up doing 6 months in the county because I can't afford bail while they figure out I was innocent (after I spend 60K on attorney fees because the Public Pretender said he can get me 10 years if I am lucky).

My grandpa was walking and got hit by a car, cops came out and said my grandpa is senile and has contradictions in his "story", and wrote in the police report that he fell and tried to blame it on the car. He is 90 years old and pointed at different places on his chest that hurts because he is trying to say that whole area hurts. That's his "inconsistent story".

With all due respect sir, fuck cops, and if you give me shit about that, fuck you too. OP's story blows balls even though I'm not big on football either. Who the fuck wants to go to a po po museum, when every1 is trying to avoid them on the road. I got a ticket for 66 on 65 FFFFUUUUUU.
All respect to soldiers, fuck their bosses.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I really shouldn't even bother, but I feel compelled. Samwoo, I am sorry for your situation, and I certainly understand why you'd be upset. I refuse to believe any competent cop/attorney couldn't find the real truth in your case, but again, I don't know the details. It's difficult to believe you have any respect as I have never heard a respectful fuck you, but that's besides the point.

Most of the time cops deal with the shittiest side of humanity, so pardon us if we don't want to hear your bullshit excuse for all the traffic violations you just knowingly committed. Damn near EVERYONE lies to us all the time and I'll tell you it gets old real quick. Perhaps you should consider what it is about you that attracts you to the cops and change it instead of whining about it.

88, I really can't argue against your experiences either, and it is frustrating when you get to deal the small percentage of cops who are in the biz because their mothers didn't love them, they have small penises and large egos, but rest assured the majority of us are out there making it so Samwoo can cry about it and tell me to fuck off.

I worked as a JO in the schools, and to this day my students still come up to me and thank me, even if I was a dick to them or was forced by their actions to arrest them. Of course, there are those who think I'm the biggest ass on the planet, but there's no helping people with the type of personality that refuses to let them see themselves for what they truly are.

Either way, cops understand this prejudice against them since MOST people only deal with the cops when they are in trouble or something terrible has happened to them. Despite all of this, I still go to work and bust my ass to make sure all of you (Generalization) can walk down the street without worrying about getting accosted, killed or otherwise molested. I realize it still happens, and I want you to know that I take it personally each time there is a crime against a person in my jurisdiction.

I also take it personally when people automatically assume the cop is an ass and treat them poorly. I ask you, where is my motivation to give you a warning (My natural inclination) when your first question is some cliche like "Don't you have anything better to do?" Perhaps the general public would be more appreciative if the police were allowed to strike, or let you get the ass whipping you probably deserve at the bar fight call we go to?

When you call the cops and run the other direction due to bullets, fists or other projectiles, Ie go straight there to sort it out. I work on the holidays that you are celebrating and at night when you are asleep. I don't want you admiration nor do I want to be called a hero, but I would like some of you to take a little personal responsibility and realize that not everyone in a given profession is an asshole, nor is everyone in pro sports a good person.

Flame suit on!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Technically, a hero is somebody who accomplish great feats for his people that will save the day for his/her community. So technically you can have a football hero who will accomplish great things on the gridiron to help his team win games and/or championships.

That said, I agree with the OP that people overinvest in the sports players at the expense of the other crafts/professions that actually put their life in danger. I love NFL footbal and I am a big Patriots fan and I was disappointed when they lost in the playoffs but five minutes later I was off doing something else. Too many people have their sense of self-worth go through professional sports and that is not healthy.

Only in the Los Angeles area people have their sense of self-worth not go through NFL footbal and that is why the NFL can't find its way back to LA. Sadly, the people of Los Angeles have their sense of self-worth go through Hollywood and that is even less healthy.

Go Patriots.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'm not into sports. I dont consider them to be heroes. I dont call it hardship and sacrafice when your making 100million a year.

On the other hand, police offices are here doing a public service. I thought the point of public service was to better the world and not expect people to be suckling your teet for it?

If law enforcement stepped up their game and educated, considerate, individuals with a real thirst for saving the world, there would be a lot more general respect for police offices. Unfortunately, from my experience and many others, most police officers suffer from small cock syndrome and are drunk with power.

The NYPD may have shit tons of corruption, but those mofos have balls and they protect the streets. Literally. I have the UTMOST RESPECT for them. My local cops could put Dunkin Donuts out of business with the amount of coffee and donuts they consume and expect to not pay for. F them for trying to jam a stick up my ass for being young. I dont respect them milking our tax dollars and fucking the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 e90 335i

The thesis of this article may have some merit, but it's pointless IMO. First, it's preaching to the choir. Second, all I watch is college football and I never hear announcers calling those kids heros. Certainly not for anything they do on the field. Finally, WTF does a museum have to do with anything? It's simple economics. College football is big business designed to make big money, police forces are publicly funded public servants. It's no surprise that college football will have a nice museum and it has nothing to do with who people consider "heroes". Besides, according to the article the police museum will still be bigger and more expensive than the college football museum.
      02-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
335R1
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

I'm happy to say my Justice and Law Club at my university is the first college to help raise funds and be an affiliate for the Law Enforcement Musuem.

Samwoo, I'm sorry for your series of unfortunate events. I find it hard to believe your run in with the law turned out the way it did. I'm quite sure you're leaving some things out in your story. It must've been a serious crime since you couldn't get out of jail.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

so what about a crimefighting athlete, like shaq?
      02-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
so what about a crimefighting athlete, like shaq?
LOL

Or Steven Segal?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I have a big problem with corrupt cops. They put their sirens to do an illegal U-turn at a red light to grab McDs.
Or the ones that purposely do 30km/h in a 50 zone to piss people off. Or drive with their lights off at night to catch people speeding (that is hella dangerous btw)
the kind that will pull you over for 1km/h over the speed limit (happened to my brother recently).
The kind that pulled me over cause my car slipped on ice a little passed the stop sign.
The ones that try to push you out of a line at Tim Horton's because they think they are above it.

@immiketoo
how often, really, do you guys actually go and beat down on organized crime?
I mean, to us, it looks like all you do is just loft around in the police station and play GTA 4. Cleaning up the city of gangs/drugs (not marijuana though)/ and the likes?
like actually shake down a front and put people behind bars.
I'm talking police officers, not FBI..
How much of your time is out there giving tickets as opposed to "Serve and protect".
You're not protecting me when you are giving me a ticket for 1km/h over the speed limit. Chances are, you were doing 2-3km/h over in order to catch me. Chances are, I drive better than you. Why are you allowed to drive recklessly?
      02-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I have a big problem with corrupt cops. They put their sirens to do an illegal U-turn at a red light to grab McDs.
Or the ones that purposely do 30km/h in a 50 zone to piss people off. Or drive with their lights off at night to catch people speeding (that is hella dangerous btw)
the kind that will pull you over for 1km/h over the speed limit (happened to my brother recently).
The kind that pulled me over cause my car slipped on ice a little passed the stop sign.
The ones that try to push you out of a line at Tim Horton's because they think they are above it.

@immiketoo
how often, really, do you guys actually go and beat down on organized crime?
I mean, to us, it looks like all you do is just loft around in the police station and play GTA 4. Cleaning up the city of gangs/drugs (not marijuana though)/ and the likes?
like actually shake down a front and put people behind bars.
I'm talking police officers, not FBI..
How much of your time is out there giving tickets as opposed to "Serve and protect".
You're not protecting me when you are giving me a ticket for 1km/h over the speed limit. Chances are, you were doing 2-3km/h over in order to catch me. Chances are, I drive better than you. Why are you allowed to drive recklessly?
I can't even think of where to begin and I wasn't going to even justify your pathetic existence with a response, but you did make a few errors and I feel it is my duty to "Serve" you by educating you. As you probably know from watching TV cop shows, all cops are in investigations and they go around shooting up the town, beating confessions from suspects and never writing a report. The reality of the job is that most cops don't ever work organized crime, get promoted to investigations or do narcotics work. The majority of officers spend their careers in the patrol division dealing with people's personal problems that they ought, as adults, to be able to handle themselves.

I, however HAVE done all of those assignments. I have put Kilo dealers behind bars, caught murder suspects within hours of them stabbing an innocent victim through the heart, obtained confessions through superior intellect as opposed to violence, and I have been a patrol officer assigned to traffic detail.

So, while you sit there and impugn my career anonymously without knowing anything about me personally, I set the record straight.

While you try and differentiate between drugs and marijuanna, I uphold the law indiscriminately, knowing that just as many people have suffered over pot as other drugs.

While you hide behind the various stereotypes about cops and believe they are true, I prove you wrong on a daily basis by my very existence.

You pontificate over one mile an hour over the limit tickets without admitting that you probably speed every day of the year and don't get caught for THOSE violations, and then whine about when you do.

You are right about one point, however. When I write you a ticket, I am not serving you. I AM however, serving and protecting other people, from you, because it is necessary that I do so. And, I am protecting you from yourself because I guarantee you that you are nowhere near the driver you think you are. If you were, you outstanding car control abilities would have ensured you did NOT slide past the stop line.

Ultimately, I feel a bit sorry for people like you. You clearly have a victim mentality and you will likely go through life feeling like the cops are out to get you. I find it difficult to believe that you are as innocent as you make it appear, or that you didn't deserve at least some of what you received.

Lastly, although I don't know why I bother, I am allowed by law to exceed the speed limit to catch violators such as yourself. This also applies to when you dial 911 for some crisis in your life. Guess what? I, and those like me will still come at your call to help you out of whatever situation you find yourself in, despite your pathetic attitude towards us.

Good luck in life. You'll need it

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 07 GTI

Quote:
I can't even think of where to begin and I wasn't going to even justify your pathetic existence with a response, but you did make a few errors and I feel it is my duty to "Serve" you by educating you. As you probably know from watching TV cop shows, all cops are in investigations and they go around shooting up the town, beating confessions from suspects and never writing a report. The reality of the job is that most cops don't ever work organized crime, get promoted to investigations or do narcotics work. The majority of officers spend their careers in the patrol division dealing with people's personal problems that they ought, as adults, to be able to handle themselves.

I, however HAVE done all of those assignments. I have put Kilo dealers behind bars, caught murder suspects within hours of them stabbing an innocent victim through the heart, obtained confessions through superior intellect as opposed to violence, and I have been a patrol officer assigned to traffic detail.

So, while you sit there and impugn my career anonymously without knowing anything about me personally, I set the record straight.

While you try and differentiate between drugs and marijuanna, I uphold the law indiscriminately, knowing that just as many people have suffered over pot as other drugs.

While you hide behind the various stereotypes about cops and believe they are true, I prove you wrong on a daily basis by my very existence.

You pontificate over one mile an hour over the limit tickets without admitting that you probably speed every day of the year and don't get caught for THOSE violations, and then whine about when you do.

You are right about one point, however. When I write you a ticket, I am not serving you. I AM however, serving and protecting other people, from you, because it is necessary that I do so. And, I am protecting you from yourself because I guarantee you that you are nowhere near the driver you think you are. If you were, you outstanding car control abilities would have ensured you did NOT slide past the stop line.

Ultimately, I feel a bit sorry for people like you. You clearly have a victim mentality and you will likely go through life feeling like the cops are out to get you. I find it difficult to believe that you are as innocent as you make it appear, or that you didn't deserve at least some of what you received.

Lastly, although I don't know why I bother, I am allowed by law to exceed the speed limit to catch violators such as yourself. This also applies to when you dial 911 for some crisis in your life. Guess what? I, and those like me will still come at your call to help you out of whatever situation you find yourself in, despite your pathetic attitude towards us.

Good luck in life. You'll need it
Take it easy there, not-a-hero. Do your job and accept the consequences of a poorly designed system. People don't like cops because of their holier than thou attitude. Guess what...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

^^^ What?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
That was fairly ignorant; I would venture to say that 99% of the time when an officer pulls someone over, they have had to drive over the speed limit to catch up to them. Shit, how the hell do you think an officer is supposed to catch someone in blatant disregard for the speed limit? Key word being: limit, meaning the sign that reads "SPEED LIMIT: 70MPH" means you shall not drive faster than the posted limit or you are breaking the law. It's simple. Officers are allowed to exceed the speed limit in order to catch and punish whoever breaks the law. While I'm sure you think you may be a better driver than they are, and you very well may be, all officers go through extensive defensive and offensive driving courses, they're not just driving recklessly as you put it.
      02-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
^^^ What?
suck it...lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
suck it...lol
Now that there's funny!!!

Quote:
Appreciate 0