New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #23
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I heard cops have radar detector detectors
Ontario has them. Its called Spectre
      06-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #24
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I keep my Valentine 1 updated. Don't need bells and whistles...I need accurate detection.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #25
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I turn off K and X band. It is useless in California where 99% of the police uses KA and Laser.
K band is NOT entirely useless in CA. I've been hit with K band a few times - that's why I still have mine turned ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I keep my Valentine 1 updated. Don't need bells and whistles...I need accurate detection.
Agreed, except that it keeps falsing to BSM
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #26
DCook
Private
Rep

Drives: 91 Fox

Whens the last time some of your guys radars were updated, specifically the r3? Newer lidars have a different frequency that some models arent updated for/yet. ISP has a few new lidar units that some radars wont pickup. Some of the older v1 and 360s won't. Also the newer units have about a 5ft spread over half a mile i think, so if he nails the person next to you, yours wont go off. Especially if hes less than that the spread is less. Same with superwide KA. Which is narrow field actually, harder to detect oncoming. I can only imagine cali has newer units than us even at this point. I run a v1, and have never had issues with laser, ka or k.

-source: freinds a isp trooper, has nailed a massive ton and seen their radars and asked. And we have tested with his lidar, ka, and superwide ka.

Also, recommended to mount top left of windshield. Why? Think as most officers aim driverside oncoming, and have their ka/k radar units there. And you have a better chance of receiving a signal than center of windshield. Especially if a vehicle is in front of you blocking center. If ya think about it, it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #27
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
K band is NOT entirely useless in CA. I've been hit with K band a few times - that's why I still have mine turned ON.

Agreed, except that it keeps falsing to BSM
I have never gotten hit by K band ever in Northern California.

From RDForums:

Quote:
Without a doubt, you can turn off X band. On CHP-patrolled large freeways, 34.7 KA is your primary threat (I'd say 95%). On some other freeways with other patrolling agencies, you may see some 35.5 as well (particularly Placer County, as well as national parks).

There have been sightings of city police cars equipped with or using K band guns, including possibly modern K band guns like the Raptor RP-1, which have compact patch antennas much like a Stinger.... But that's a really really rare possibility compared to the other bands.

If you cannot trust K band alerts from your detector, you are better off turning it off. It's much more important to be able to trust your detector to the point that you take braking action before listening for a band ID or reading a frequency. That is far more likely to save you against sneaky CHP tactics versus the marginal benefit of discovering a city cop with K band.