New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2022, 12:20 AM   #6557
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24948
Rep
22,261
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Digital plates are approved in California and two other states. I kinda like it. Let's see how long it takes for this to catch on.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615079.00
BMWGUYinCO4118.50
      08-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #6558
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
15079
Rep
941
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Let's see how long it takes for this to get hacked and used to display inappropriate messages or spam ads.
FTFY.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 30K miles
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #6559
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
15079
Rep
941
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List



.
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 30K miles
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #6560
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24948
Rep
22,261
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Let's see how long it takes for this to get hacked and used to display inappropriate messages or spam ads.
FTFY.....
Well, the license plate app allows you to put messages in hashtag form on your plate. If it gets hacked, the car is stolen, someone removes the assembly, etc…..there are protections for that. It's not my cup of tea, but one of my partners is running the system. The system is linked to the DMV.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43118.00
vreihen1615079.00
      08-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #6561
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
43118
Rep
7,226
Posts

 
Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Let's see how long it takes for this to get hacked and used to display inappropriate messages or spam ads.
FTFY.....
Well, the license plate app allows you to put messages in hashtag form on your plate. If it gets hacked, the car is stolen, someone removes the assembly, etc…..there are protections for that. It's not my cup of tea, but one of my partners is running the system. The system is linked to the DMV.
Interesting…

More ways to spend your money.
__________________
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615079.00
      08-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #6562
cmyx6go
Colonel
cmyx6go's Avatar
15670
Rep
2,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Did you guys see the video of this horrific crash? WTF was the driver thinking? The only thing I can think of is she wanted to kill herself. She was flying through that dead red. That's not distracted driving. So sad for all involved.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/driver-lo...oss-negligence
__________________
I thought I was a good person but the way I react when people drive slowly in the left lane would suggest otherwise
Appreciate 1
Esteban43118.00
      08-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #6563
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
43118
Rep
7,226
Posts

 
Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Did you guys see the video of this horrific crash? WTF was the driver thinking? The only thing I can think of is she wanted to kill herself. She was flying through that dead red. That's not distracted driving. So sad for all involved.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/driver-lo...oss-negligence
Just saw that on the news. The 8 months pregnant woman was on her way to a doctor appointment. Sad.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #6564
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24948
Rep
22,261
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Did you guys see the video of this horrific crash? WTF was the driver thinking? The only thing I can think of is she wanted to kill herself. She was flying through that dead red. That's not distracted driving. So sad for all involved.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/driver-lo...oss-negligence
It is very sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #6565
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
4428
Rep
5,325
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Digital plates are approved in California and two other states. I kinda like it. Let's see how long it takes for this to catch on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Interesting…

More ways to spend your money.
Yup...

Quote:
Reviver Auto, the California-based firm that created the plates, charges $699 for this innovative device.

I doesn’t include installation costs and the $7 monthly fee every user needs to cover to keep it running. Not to mention that you can only get the device from selected dealerships and cannot be sold at the DMV.
https://www.etags.com/blog/californi...license-plate/
Appreciate 1
Esteban43118.00
      08-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #6566
zx10guy
Brigadier General
5150
Rep
3,241
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Why are people so oblivious?!? I just saw a guy hop out of his new BMW 4-Series and run inside of a building while leaving the car running with the driver's side door wide open. If I were a bad guy, I would have jumped right into the driver's seat and stolen that car (….kidnapping anybody who might've been inside of the vehicle; it just happened a few days ago with children in the car). It amazes me how many times people have left a car running outside (…e.g….at a gas station, in their driveway, etc.) and had the car stolen. Then they call the police, frantic……because they are idiots. Sometimes I want to ask them, "Are you regularly this stupid?"
In my area, cops were citing people for leaving their cars unintended while running especially during the winter when people would warm up their cars while staying inside their homes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 04:48 PM   #6567
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24948
Rep
22,261
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Why are people so oblivious?!? I just saw a guy hop out of his new BMW 4-Series and run inside of a building while leaving the car running with the driver's side door wide open. If I were a bad guy, I would have jumped right into the driver's seat and stolen that car (….kidnapping anybody who might've been inside of the vehicle; it just happened a few days ago with children in the car). It amazes me how many times people have left a car running outside (…e.g….at a gas station, in their driveway, etc.) and had the car stolen. Then they call the police, frantic……because they are idiots. Sometimes I want to ask them, "Are you regularly this stupid?"
In my area, cops were citing people for leaving their cars unintended while running especially during the winter when people would warm up their cars while staying inside their homes.
Do you know what vehicle code they were using?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #6568
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17939
Rep
5,472
Posts

 
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What do you make of this? An explorer with roof rails, a "baby on board" sticker, and civilian license plate, conducted a traffic stop here yesterday. 2 police officers stepped out of it.

Name:  IMG-20220803-WA0022.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  534.0 KB
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24947.50
      08-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #6569
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24948
Rep
22,261
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
What do you make of this? An explorer with roof rails, a "baby on board" sticker, and civilian license plate, conducted a traffic stop here yesterday. 2 police officers stepped out of it.

Attachment 2949759
It's a U/C vehicle. You should see the vehicles we have in our U/C fleet. We have everything from modded Honda Civics to beat up Chrysler Mini-vans that look as though somebody is living in it. They all obviously have civilian plates.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317939.00
      08-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #6570
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17939
Rep
5,472
Posts

 
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's a U/C vehicle. You should see the vehicles we have in our U/C fleet. We have everything from modded Honda Civics to beat up Chrysler Mini-vans that look as though somebody is living in it. They all obviously have civilian plates.
That's terrifying
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
Esteban43118.00
CamasM3e933132.50
      08-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #6571
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24948
Rep
22,261
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's a U/C vehicle. You should see the vehicles we have in our U/C fleet. We have everything from modded Honda Civics to beat up Chrysler Mini-vans that look as though somebody is living in it. They all obviously have civilian plates.
That's terrifying
….and none of them are as clean as the U/C vehicle pictured in your post.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317939.00
      08-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #6572
zx10guy
Brigadier General
5150
Rep
3,241
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Do you know what vehicle code they were using?
I don't. There wasn't a lot of details from the news story. The reason why tickets were being issued was because of the exact scenario you mentioned where car thefts were happening due to running unattended vehicles. The statement from the police department stated the owners of these cars were putting the general public in danger due to police chases that were unnecessary if the owners were more responsible.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:19 PM   #6573
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
15079
Rep
941
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Do you know what vehicle code they were using?
Local laws.

"And in Washington D.C., anyone caught idling their car for more than 3 minutes may be fined up to $5,000."

https://www.menshealth.com/trending-...p-car-illegal/

NYC created a vigilante anti-idling program for commercial vehicles. Send in a 3-minute video of a commercial vehicle idling, and the reporting party gets 25% of the fine.....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/new-yor...-idle-warrior/
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 30K miles
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      08-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #6574
rwheels
Major
7067
Rep
1,021
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: May 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

And how many times can one go around in a round-about, before it is considered an infraction? Asking for a friend. Will said friend have to perform a sobriety test?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615079.00
      08-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #6575
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
15079
Rep
941
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
And how many times can one go around in a round-about, before it is considered an infraction? Asking for a friend. Will said friend have to perform a sobriety test?
Remember to air up your tires a bit beforehand, or else they will start to blister at the shoulders around lap 15 from overheating.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 30K miles
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #6576
rwheels
Major
7067
Rep
1,021
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: May 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Terrible crash near Los Angeles; 6 dead. Driver was flying through the intersection.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/golf/...ategory=foryou
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:27 PM   #6577
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
498
Rep
444
Posts

 
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Terrible crash near Los Angeles; 6 dead. Driver was flying through the intersection.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/golf/...ategory=foryou
That accident is so sad - so many people dead.

Of course, we don't know the cause yet - It seems that the Mercedes driver survived and is now being charged for vehicular manslaughter.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:16 AM   #6578
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
4428
Rep
5,325
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
And how many times can one go around in a round-about, before it is considered an infraction? Asking for a friend. Will said friend have to perform a sobriety test?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Remember to air up your tires a bit beforehand, or else they will start to blister at the shoulders around lap 15 from overheating.....
We went to Gettysburg on a family vacation in 1972ish. My dad was driving and we came upon a traffic circle. As a native SoCal driver, he had never encountered a traffic circle. We were stuck in that thing for about 10 minutes! It's pretty easy to get stuck if one doesn't know exactly where they need to exit!
Appreciate 1
Esteban43118.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST