New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Charleston SC Tips?

Long story short my fiance and I are considering a move to the Charleston area. My work would be in North Charleston specifically.

We are trying to determine where we want to buy. My fiance and I went down last weekend to check out the area. We were all over the place; downtown charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms, Summerville, Goose Creek, Sullivans Island, Daniel Island etc. W

We did not get a chance to check out James or Johns island, so any advice on those areas would be appreciated.

Bottom line is we are pretty much at a cross roads as to what we want and where we want to live. We enjoy great food, night life, the beach. The problem is the updated spacious house with a yard that we are looking for is within our budget in places like Summerville and Johns Island (a few in James Island), but less so in Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant. Ideally Daniel Island or Mount Pleasant would be the perfect area, but for our budget there isn't much available except for houses that haven't been updated in maybe a decade or more.

We did find a few places in North Charleston, but my Fiance is not a fan of how run down/industrial the area looks. I am aware that it hasn't been a good area in the past, but have heard it is starting to make a comeback around park circle.

Bottom line, given what our interests are would you think that we would be more content closer to downtown and the beach (Mount Pleasant/Daniel Island) and giving up our high house tastes, or should we go for a house further away in Nexton or Cane Bay and get everything we want (yard, garage, updated, 4bds). Before it is mentioned, yes I understand that the commute from North Charleston to Summerville or Goose Creek would be a hike with traffic. Working in Philly that doesn't bother me all that much. I am not opposed to North Charleston, but given my fiances opinion we would need a little more convincing.

I appreciate any advice/knowledge on the area.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Long story short my fiance and I are considering a move to the Charleston area. My work would be in North Charleston specifically.

We are trying to determine where we want to buy. My fiance and I went down last weekend to check out the area. We were all over the place; downtown charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms, Summerville, Goose Creek, Sullivans Island, Daniel Island etc. W

We did not get a chance to check out James or Johns island, so any advice on those areas would be appreciated.

Bottom line is we are pretty much at a cross roads as to what we want and where we want to live. We enjoy great food, night life, the beach. The problem is the updated spacious house with a yard that we are looking for is within our budget in places like Summerville and Johns Island (a few in James Island), but less so in Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant. Ideally Daniel Island or Mount Pleasant would be the perfect area, but for our budget there isn't much available except for houses that haven't been updated in maybe a decade or more.

We did find a few places in North Charleston, but my Fiance is not a fan of how run down/industrial the area looks. I am aware that it hasn't been a good area in the past, but have heard it is starting to make a comeback around park circle.

Bottom line, given what our interests are would you think that we would be more content closer to downtown and the beach (Mount Pleasant/Daniel Island) and giving up our high house tastes, or should we go for a house further away in Nexton or Cane Bay and get everything we want (yard, garage, updated, 4bds). Before it is mentioned, yes I understand that the commute from North Charleston to Summerville or Goose Creek would be a hike with traffic. Working in Philly that doesn't bother me all that much. I am not opposed to North Charleston, but given my fiances opinion we would need a little more convincing.

I appreciate any advice/knowledge on the area.

We visit quite a lot...been vacationing there for over 20 years. Also have a few friends that own houses down there.

If I were moving, Mt. Pleasant is where I would be looking at. It's growing, but not quite at a point where it's uncomfortable. Plus you can always do some Home upgrades later...you will always win out in that financial situation.

Plus from there you have access to Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, and pretty much any part of Charleston within 20-30 minutes depending on where you want to go. So many great places to eat and a very nice "night-time" vibe.

Plus coming from Charleston, you just bear off to the right after coming off the Ravenel Bridge and get to avoid the IOP connector with most of the traffic.

Once you learn the back roads, you pretty much have it whipped. And the tourist season is not really too bad. Typically end of May to first of August with June/July being the worst...and then it's still not too bad.

And even then most of the congestion happens around the drive to and from work as most people vacationing there tend to hit the beach and not move until it's time to go find a place to eat.

Also Mt. Pleasant affords you more pleasant weather since you always have the breeze the closer you get to the oceans. Downtown Charleston is very prone to humid conditions, and tends to have a lot of flooding when heavy summer storms come through. It seems like they never designed any of their parking as most areas are "low spots".

We only live about 3.5 hours from there, and have thought about buying a second home as we go down so much. I personally love the place, and enjoy every minute we get down there!
GERMAN M34176.50
      06-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Quote:
my fiance My fiance my Fiance my fiances .
I think you'll probably end up where ever your fiance wants to live
Appreciate 3
kscarrol8775.50
RickFLM410877.50
      06-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Haha, proposed about a month ago and she has been training me like a dog. I kept saying girlfriend the first week or two, but i think I got it down now!

You have me self conscious about it now, want to edit my original post but it is what it is haha.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
We visit quite a lot...been vacationing there for over 20 years. Also have a few friends that own houses down there.

If I were moving, Mt. Pleasant is where I would be looking at. It's growing, but not quite at a point where it's uncomfortable. Plus you can always do some Home upgrades later...you will always win out in that financial situation.

Plus from there you have access to Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, and pretty much any part of Charleston within 20-30 minutes depending on where you want to go. So many great places to eat and a very nice "night-time" vibe.

Plus coming from Charleston, you just bear off to the right after coming off the Ravenel Bridge and get to avoid the IOP connector with most of the traffic.

Once you learn the back roads, you pretty much have it whipped. And the tourist season is not really too bad. Typically end of May to first of August with June/July being the worst...and then it's still not too bad.

And even then most of the congestion happens around the drive to and from work as most people vacationing there tend to hit the beach and not move until it's time to go find a place to eat.

Also Mt. Pleasant affords you more pleasant weather since you always have the breeze the closer you get to the oceans. Downtown Charleston is very prone to humid conditions, and tends to have a lot of flooding when heavy summer storms come through. It seems like they never designed any of their parking as most areas are "low spots".

We only live about 3.5 hours from there, and have thought about buying a second home as we go down so much. I personally love the place, and enjoy every minute we get down there!
Much appreciated man! If I end up moving down there we'll have to meet up at some point when you're on vacation, maybe I'll show you how to properly lift some weights! (kidding haha)

I think we are leaning towards the Mount Pleasant area due to the reasoning that you provided above. Seems like a solid spot for food, shops, beach, easy access. We are definitely anxious, just need this offer to be the right amount.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
my fiance My fiance my Fiance my fiances .

For OP: it's been a while since we visited, so I don't have any great neighborhood suggestions. But my wife and I loved Charleston overall. I would definitely live there if the opportunity to do presented itself.

Being a FL resident, one thing I'd suggest to keep in mind is storm preparations. If it were me, as charming as some of those historic homes can be, I'd opt for something newer from a practical perspective. I'm not sure what standard building materials are used there, but CBS > wood frame for storms. Maybe that's not common there - no idea. I'd also plan to get impact glass installed before moving in if possible (install makes a mess) and make sure the roof has a good inspection before closing.
JP102462.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      06-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Much appreciated man! If I end up moving down there we'll have to meet up at some point when you're on vacation, maybe I'll show you how to properly lift some weights! (kidding haha)

I think we are leaning towards the Mount Pleasant area due to the reasoning that you provided above. Seems like a solid spot for food, shops, beach, easy access. We are definitely anxious, just need this offer to be the right amount.

Hey...I'm all about learning something new. My best workouts have been with people I haven't worked out with before. Maybe it's a "testosterone" thing, but it's like neither of you want to be shown up or outdid by the other one.

Only thing is you both pay for it the day after!
      06-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Hey OP....get with or send ‘Ibiza’ ( Joe) a PM. He lives down in that area and can definitely shed some light on the situation. My wife and I visit that area quite frequently, and we definitely love the vibe of downtown Charleston. Great atmosphere with outstanding restaurants. From my perspective, I think your Fiancé is correct when speaking of North Charleston. But again, I could definitely be wrong. Best of luck with your search.
      06-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

For OP: it's been a while since we visited, so I don't have any great neighborhood suggestions. But my wife and I loved Charleston overall. I would definitely live there if the opportunity to do presented itself.

Being a FL resident, one thing I'd suggest to keep in mind is storm preparations. If it were me, as charming as some of those historic homes can be, I'd opt for something newer from a practical perspective. I'm not sure what standard building materials are used there, but CBS > wood frame for storms. Maybe that's not common there - no idea. I'd also plan to get impact glass installed before moving in if possible (install makes a mess) and make sure the roof has a good inspection before closing.
I'll definitely make sure I consider/look into the foundation/solidarity of the home prior to making a purchase. I appreciate the advice!

Quote:
Hey...I'm all about learning something new. My best workouts have been with people I haven't worked out with before. Maybe it's a "testosterone" thing, but it's like neither of you want to be shown up or outdid by the other one.

Only thing is you both pay for it the day after!
Haha I hear ya man, I know you'll have me on all of the weight aspects, my strength isn't what it was in my prime especially since I'm down a solid bit of weight. Once I stop getting injured and summer passes I'll start pushing the envelope again! I'd just be interested in new movements since you have a boat load of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Hey OP....get with or send ‘Ibiza’ ( Joe) a PM. He lives down in that area and can definitely shed some light on the situation. My wife and I visit that area quite frequently, and we definitely love the vibe of downtown Charleston. Great atmosphere with outstanding restaurants. From my perspective, I think your Fiancé is correct when speaking of North Charleston. But again, I could definitely be wrong. Best of luck with your search.
Will do, thanks for the heads up! We also enjoyed downtown especially compared to the "cities" that we are use to. Had a lot of charm and the people are very pleasant for the most part!
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      06-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
JDougM3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

I lived in the area (Folly Beach) for a decade and can certainly confirm your fiancé's assertion that North Charleston is best to be avoided. Mount Pleasant would be tops on my list, assuming budget allows. Quick access to Sullivan's/Isle of Palms as well as downtown. As previously mentioned, the downtown peninsula is very prone to flooding and parking can be scarce. James Island has nicer developments than it did 10+ years ago...some great marsh views and close to Folly Beach if that's more your scene. Johns Island a little further south and farther from downtown but still great if you don't necessarily want to be in the center of the action. West Ashley is where a lot of my friends live(d)...less expensive but doesn't really carry much of the Charleston charm in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
JP102462.00
      06-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp

send me a with your number and a good time to call. I currently live in Charleston and can help you out
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougM3 View Post
I lived in the area (Folly Beach) for a decade and can certainly confirm your fiancé's assertion that North Charleston is best to be avoided. Mount Pleasant would be tops on my list, assuming budget allows. Quick access to Sullivan's/Isle of Palms as well as downtown. As previously mentioned, the downtown peninsula is very prone to flooding and parking can be scarce. James Island has nicer developments than it did 10+ years ago...some great marsh views and close to Folly Beach if that's more your scene. Johns Island a little further south and farther from downtown but still great if you don't necessarily want to be in the center of the action. West Ashley is where a lot of my friends live(d)...less expensive but doesn't really carry much of the Charleston charm in my opinion.
Thanks for the info on James and Johns Island! Like I mentioned we didn't get a chance to explore those areas so that is helpful. From the reactions it seems like I should be aiming for Mount Pleasant, might just have to make some compromises on some of the house features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanksevo View Post
send me a with your number and a good time to call. I currently live in Charleston and can help you out
A fellow E9X M3 owner woot! I thought I was going to be alone down there, I'll shoot you a message thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep

Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Whoever goes to Charleston, eat at Hyman's Seafood. So good.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
JP102462.00
      06-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Born and grew up in Charleston but moved away some time ago. I've always gone back often regardless of where I have lived. Each area has its own feel and what has been said in this thread so far is pretty much correct. Housing is expensive or cheap depending on from where you are relocating. Historic district houses carry the additional burden of having to get BAR (Board of Architectural Review) approval on anything that is visible from the street.

Don't under emphasize your commute. My perspective on the traffic there is that it is more frustrating than Houston. Part of this is because I lived there before it grew so much and remember when it was more laid back. Other part is traffic is a real problem b/c expanding roads is so difficult (always a waterway or marsh or something historic to be reckoned with).
      06-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Born and grew up in Charleston but moved away some time ago. I've always gone back often regardless of where I have lived. Each area has its own feel and what has been said in this thread so far is pretty much correct. Housing is expensive or cheap depending on from where you are relocating. Historic district houses carry the additional burden of having to get BAR (Board of Architectural Review) approval on anything that is visible from the street.

Don't under emphasize your commute. My perspective on the traffic there is that it is more frustrating than Houston. Part of this is because I lived there before it grew so much and remember when it was more laid back. Other part is traffic is a real problem b/c expanding roads is so difficult (always a waterway or marsh or something historic to be reckoned with).
Thanks for the advice, yeah I definitely don't want to spend the majority of my afternoon in traffic. Although my work hours will be pretty abnormal, so I think that will work in my favor. But again I definitely won't overlook the commute.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #16
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, yeah I definitely don't want to spend the majority of my afternoon in traffic. Although my work hours will be pretty abnormal, so I think that will work in my favor. But again I definitely won't overlook the commute.
That certainly makes your choices easier. Good luck and post back when you settle on an area.
      06-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #17
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBoost View Post
Another great place in Sullivan's Island we hit each time is Poe's Tavern. So many great places to eat in every area.

Isle of Palms has a neat place called Coconut Joe's which has a rooftop area overlooking the ocean, and usually have great live music every night.

But you have access to pretty much anything...the beach, the market, historic districts, the marinas. Take a boat and hit some of the intra-coastal waterway beaches early, and all kind of great shells and the like to be found!
      06-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep

Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Isle of Palms has a neat place called Coconut Joe's which has a rooftop area overlooking the ocean, and usually have great live music every night.
Yeah wife and I grabbed a drink there after the beach. Great bloody Mary!
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBoost View Post
Edmond's Oast and Taco Boy are both always "must hits" whenever we're down in Chucktown, too.
Appreciate 0