BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #23
FTLC
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 8V RS3, B8.5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I've had my F80 CP since 2017 and have had neither the suspension nor the TC issues you faced with your M3. You'll surely get better traction with the Quattro RS3 but it's based on the same MQB platform as a VW Golf, so I'd expect it to be inferior to the M3 in most every other way.

To the OP, I use Bridgestone Blizzaks and it's generally fine but if you're caught in a snow or ice storm it could get dicey if you need to go uphill even if it's only a slight incline. I'd imagine snow storms are rare in Columbus, thus you should be fine - but snow tires are a must.
I would imagine they are rare, yes I move in about a month so I will know how the terrain is but from my few times visiting to get absolutely inebriated... it seems fairly flat. Other than the AWD system I think that the RS3 is superior in interior and technology but again, my other car is an e46 M3 so that's something I'm obviously willing to sacrifice for a more performance-oriented vehicle. That being said, I think the interior of the F8x M is nice, but probably could have used a redesign starting in 2016+ to stay more current. Just my personal opinion.
      06-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #24
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I drove my F80 in the snow on a set of Blizzaks with no issues except for ground clearance. Would I do it again? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I think I put 200 miles on my winter setup across the whole season.

Driving a car of this caliber on 255 section pizza cutter, winter compound tires is not enjoyable to me. Traction is an uphill battle no matter what anyone says, although quite bearable with the right tire setup. Still, as a dedicated daily, I would want all 4 wheels driven for that one time you won't be able to make it and say "I wish I had AWD". This is coming from someone that has daily driven RWD cars in the winter for nearly a decade starting with my Gen2 CTS-V.

Furthermore, up in my neck of the woods, the winter not only wrecks havoc on the roads but you have to be even more concerned about lunatics hitting you. But that's an entirely different debate.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #25
CalinSez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I recommend daily driving an F8X in any conditions 😄
Appreciate 3
      06-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #26
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Yes it's super fun
Appreciate 3
      06-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
PastaSauce
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've lived in Columbus for several years now, daily driving a BRZ in the winters. Just bought the M3 last week and it will be garaged from December through February.

It is frequently too cold for summer tires here, but we only get more than a few inches of snow a couple times a year. Winter is mostly rain, slush, and temps between 10 and 40, but they salt the roads like crazy. Anything you drive in salt for very long will rust and it's hard on the paint too. I couldn't do that to my M3, but I plan on keeping it 10+ years, not two or three.

Even a BRZ is undriveable on summer tires in the winter. You will need a set of snows. A second set of wheels is much easier to manage than taking tires on and off. It is sometimes cheaper to buy a second set of wheels anyway, downsizing the wheels can drastically reduce the cost of the tires while also improving traction in snow.

I highly recommend performance winter tires over traditional snow tires like Blizzaks. We don't get enough snow to justify full snow tires, you'll just wear them out driving on dry cold pavement. Performance winter tires are still better than all seasons in cold temperatures, rain, or light snow, and last longer than snow tires with better grip when it's dry.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #28
vrptstyly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M3 COMP

Garage List
I drive my car in winter. No plans to store it during the winter months. It is garage kept and I have a dedicated winter wheel and tire set. You have to be a bit more cautious of how you drive it and how you use MDM and DSC off.

I drove it plenty this past winter, and we got tons of snow this year here(NJ). I actually enjoyed it. Worst part is trying to get a decent wash if I'm not not doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #29
FTLC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaSauce View Post
I've lived in Columbus for several years now, daily driving a BRZ in the winters. Just bought the M3 last week and it will be garaged from December through February.

It is frequently too cold for summer tires here, but we only get more than a few inches of snow a couple times a year. Winter is mostly rain, slush, and temps between 10 and 40, but they salt the roads like crazy. Anything you drive in salt for very long will rust and it's hard on the paint too. I couldn't do that to my M3, but I plan on keeping it 10+ years, not two or three.

Even a BRZ is undriveable on summer tires in the winter. You will need a set of snows. A second set of wheels is much easier to manage than taking tires on and off. It is sometimes cheaper to buy a second set of wheels anyway, downsizing the wheels can drastically reduce the cost of the tires while also improving traction in snow.

I highly recommend performance winter tires over traditional snow tires like Blizzaks. We don't get enough snow to justify full snow tires, you'll just wear them out driving on dry cold pavement. Performance winter tires are still better than all seasons in cold temperatures, rain, or light snow, and last longer than snow tires with better grip when it's dry.
Thanks for the local info! I garage my M3 because I plan on keeping it forever, but looking for a new car I'm looking to drive something nearly year-round for about 4-5years. I will get it coated and take the necessary measures of wheels and tires. I'm more concerned about getting stuck and sliding around which (trust me I know) is fun when you want to but not so fun when you don't.
      06-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #30
FTLC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
I drove my F80 in the snow on a set of Blizzaks with no issues except for ground clearance. Would I do it again? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I think I put 200 miles on my winter setup across the whole season.

Driving a car of this caliber on 255 section pizza cutter, winter compound tires is not enjoyable to me. Traction is an uphill battle no matter what anyone says, although quite bearable with the right tire setup. Still, as a dedicated daily, I would want all 4 wheels driven for that one time you won't be able to make it and say "I wish I had AWD". This is coming from someone that has daily driven RWD cars in the winter for nearly a decade starting with my Gen2 CTS-V.

Furthermore, up in my neck of the woods, the winter not only wrecks havoc on the roads but you have to be even more concerned about lunatics hitting you. But that's an entirely different debate.
Well put, Very true
      06-14-2021, 11:25 PM   #31
robby1
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Take a Dodge Ram and all Problems are solved!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #32
FTLC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal144 View Post
Take a Dodge Ram and all Problems are solved!
My lead foot drive like an absolute nutter problem isn't solved
      06-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #33
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post

This is the right answer.

You can drive it with winter tires. I drove different rwd M cars over 5-6 Minnesota winters and it has fun moments but overall it’s not comfortable. Getting traction sucks. You go from one of the fastest cars on the road to one of the slowest.

I have an X3 M40i now for winter but any decent used SUV, pickup or AWD sienna would fit the bill just fine. It’s just a lot less stressful. It also depends on what you need. I have two kids so extra space also comes in handy sometimes.
Appreciate 2
FXMR111.50
wam2239.50
      06-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #34
FTLC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
This is the right answer.

You can drive it with winter tires. I drove different rwd M cars over 5-6 Minnesota winters and it has fun moments but overall it’s not comfortable. Getting traction sucks. You go from one of the fastest cars on the road to one of the slowest.

I have an X3 M40i now for winter but any decent used SUV, pickup or AWD sienna would fit the bill just fine. It’s just a lot less stressful. It also depends on what you need. I have two kids so extra space also comes in handy sometimes.
I am early in my career so no kids, no wife sorry to make you jealous. Space is not an issue, but getting stuck or crashing my car is. I can deal with inconveniences, I mean it comes with owning a sports car but I don't want to deal with wishing I owned a AWD car because I essentially can hardly drive it 4 months out of the year
      06-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #35
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Get the M Jeep Wrangler
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #36
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Pm me if you need a set of OEM snows
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #37
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I actually have both the B8.5 and F82 - driving in the snow was a non-issue (and we had some pretty rough days last year). With decent snow tires...things were fine.

Definitely not the tank the S4 is in the snow though. Needless - didn't have issues taking either out. If asking why not just take the Audi all the time...well, it's dropped much lower than the BMW. Both have dedicated snows though.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShopVac; 06-24-2021 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3376.00
      06-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #38
wam22
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dylan_ View Post
If you had to only pick one would you have picked the B9 S5 or M4? Again, I doubt the winters and snow are nearly as bad in Columbus than Chicago, but from my experience every now and then we will have a terrible winter season or at least a few terrible days.
I would get a M4 and an AWD beater. The S5 is not bad by any means, but you need to spend a decent chunk of change on tunes/parts to get it to a base M4 power wise. An RS 5 is probably a better comparison, but I think it lacks the sportscar fun the M4 has and is more a GT cruiser.

An AWD beater will be on the radar this fall, but a 911/GT4 will be replacing the M4 in a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #39
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam22 View Post
I would get a M4 and an AWD beater. The S5 is not bad by any means, but you need to spend a decent chunk of change on tunes/parts to get it to a base M4 power wise. An RS 5 is probably a better comparison, but I think it lacks the sportscar fun the M4 has and is more a GT cruiser.
Out of curiousity, have you driven a RS5? In my test drive, it was far from a GT cruiser and dare I say, I was pretty darn sure it would lay waste to my M3 comp 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 01:23 AM   #40
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Why not just lease the g80? AWD and no worries on the winter wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #41
jaykojc
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Jeep Grand Cherokee

Definitely not.
Appreciate 0