New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

12-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

When will EVs participate in endurance racing?

How long before we start seeing electric cars in endurance racing? What will it take technology wise to compete with ICE vehicles. I was recently at a WRL event, with two 8 hour races and current tech is no where near ready. Are we a few years from BEV competing or decades? I am guessing solid state battery tech will be needed, maybe quick change battery packs? How many years until an electric only powered car wins overall at 24hr Le Mans, the pinnacle of sports car racing. Right now that seems nearly impossible.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
How long before we start seeing electric cars in endurance racing? What will it take technology wise to compete with ICE vehicles. I was recently at a WRL event, with two 8 hour races and current tech is no where near ready. Are we a few years from BEV competing or decades? I am guessing solid state battery tech will be needed, maybe quick change battery packs? How many years until an electric only powered car wins overall at 24hr Le Mans, the pinnacle of sports car racing. Right now that seems nearly impossible.
No chance for enduros with existing tech. Takes too long to recharge. Even upcoming 800V /250A chargers from Porsche is still going to take >10 minutes to put a meaningful amount of charge into battery.

It's not like with enduro fueling cans where you can dump in 5gallons in several seconds.

I think we will see sprint racing of EV soon, with 40-60minute races because that's supported by existing tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
No chance for enduros with existing tech. Takes too long to recharge. Even upcoming 800V /250A chargers from Porsche is still going to take >10 minutes to put a meaningful amount of charge into battery.

It's not like with enduro fueling cans where you can dump in 5gallons in several seconds.

I think we will see sprint racing of EV soon, with 40-60minute races because that's supported by existing tech.
Sprint racing already exists, such as Formula E. The new age cars this season can last a full race without swapping like last year.

As to feasibility for enduro, if someone comes up with a way to quickly swap batteries during a box (especially if they can line it up with tire strategy) then I think we can see EVs give ICE cars a run for their money in an enduro race.

I think realistically it comes to money. Given that many of the big name manufacturers have pulled out of the prototype class, it's unlikely that they think creating such a system is worth the reward.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
.....i dunno, just having trouble getting excited about race cars that sound like forklifts
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
There’s formula e but not really endurance.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Battery energy density is the problem so unless your endurance event involves battery swaps or overall low energy usage, it will have to wait for a while barring any unforeseen breakthrus.

Enduro motorcycle racing is an exception thanks to low energy usage (extremely rough and challenging terrain), so right now people are racing electric motorcycles in enduros like the Erzberg Rodeo.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

With battery swap it's feasible today. It's really just a question of demand.

I'd love to see a serious mixed EV/ICE rally. My gut says the weight of EV vehicles mean they'd struggle to compete on dirt roads.
Appreciate 1