New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Small Truck Recommendations

Looking to replace one of our work trucks, it's borderline an emergency replacement. Needs to seat at least 4, be fuel efficient and tow at least 4k lbs. Like for it to cost under 30k, I know this is most likely a pipe dream. 4wd is nice or at least rwd. As base as possible is the goal as well.

We looked at a Maverick last night, would be the perfect for us and while we found one in stock for $28k the dealer is of course adding $10k markup, ain't going to happen.

With me not willing to pay a huge mark up am I just SOL? I told the dealer I'd be willing to pay some but not that much. They're going to have the new car manager call tomorrow to try and work something out.

Did want to get the Lightning at $42k (willing to go that high for the fuel cost reduction only) but can't have an order come in until 2024. I'll save that one to replace another truck.

I buy a truck/car every year and I'm learning which dealers I won't do business again very quickly.

Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi R8

If Colorados could tow as much as Silverados I'd get one in a heartbeat so it might be what you're looking for. I don't know what the tow capacity is but it's not 9-10kips.
Appreciate 1
Our03z41691.50
      07-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Well I've actually answered my own question. I'm ordering a Maverick 2.0 AWD Max Tow next week when the dealer banks open. Orders supposedly will start coming in sometime in November so I'll just hang on until then.
Appreciate 3
sspade2466.00
NYG10744.00
      07-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I don't know what you do for work, but when I think work truck I think F150 XL. Can get a 2015 or newer one with low miles for under $30k.
Appreciate 1
Our03z41691.50
      07-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't know what you do for work, but when I think work truck I think F150 XL. Can get a 2015 or newer one with low miles for under $30k.

This will be for light duty service work. Gas mileage is everything. I already have F150s and F250s. The only one that would meet my gas mileage wants in full size are north of 50K. Not worth it for a vehicle that's going to get muddy and such. I also want a long warranty.

My base 2019 F250 new was only $28k so this is killing me what people want for trucks now.

One other one I may actually consider is the Hyundai Santa Cruz, much more expensive but the features (almost luxury) are awfully nice. Would be over 60k if it was a f150. Since my wife will be the one driving this I may be willing to go that extra cost if going with the Cruz. Plus it has a 10yr 100k mile warranty as well. Tows 5k lbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
2018-2019 Tacoma
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50
      07-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

The new Nissan Frontier is pretty neat. Tacoma TRD pro always a good choice.
Appreciate 1
chassis6560.00
      07-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

As much as I don't love Tacomas, it really is the best small truck. They hold their value well, do everything you want them to do, and last forever with very little maintenance.

They are expensive, underpowered, and lacking in amenities but there's a reason people still buy them. That's the route I'd go.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Had a chance to be a passenger in my friends Maverick Hybrid.
Thought it was very good.
Seemed very quiet and smooth and the interior was very relaxing.
Was in a Toyota Venza recently and I think I preferred sitting in the Maverick.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #10
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Had a chance to be a passenger in my friends Maverick Hybrid.
Thought it was very good.
Seemed very quiet and smooth and the interior was very relaxing.
Was in a Toyota Venza recently and I think I preferred sitting in the Maverick.

Has he had any issues that you know of? Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #11
OldDudesBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 14 328i xDrive+16 535i xDrive

"Small truck", "Gas mileage is everything."

Our03z4, we should have so many more of these trucks on the roads again! There used to be so many choices: Datsun, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan, and of course Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

Now it is just Santa Cruz and Maverick right? Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma are nice smaller trucks, resale is very good, but their mpg is crap to what we are talking about here. I love the Taco's too, but we've been socially engineered and sold out into larger more expensive autos that aren't necessarily what we really need. Or heavy duty 4WD vehicles most don't actually need. I've fallen prey like the rest of them. We own two Wranglers, and hardly ever take them off-roading LOL.

For me it would be the Maverick, no question. Lot's of trim choices. Santa Cruz just doesn't do it for me in the looks department. It would be Maverick Ecoboost AWD lowest trim level so I could customize myself. Just some aftermarket wheels would go a long way for appearance. For a business, throw on some cool vinyl ads. Would be a great runner for something like you are talking about. Too bad they are so hard to get, or way overpriced, even if you can find them used. Ordering in today's climate will be crapshoot to receive when they estimate, but still tempting if you are ok with the wait and unpredictability. Perhaps you can get lucky and and find one sooner for a reasonable price. When I looked a few months ago, I couldn't find anything. Just dealer posers acting like they have stock on Autotrader\Cargurus so you would call and hopefully would place an order with them.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Has he had any issues that you know of? Thanks for the info!
No issues. But I'll text him tomorrow for the latest.
I do know he returned the Window Air Deflector because he said he didn't like the way they fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:33 PM   #13
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDudesBimmer View Post
"Small truck", "Gas mileage is everything."

Our03z4, we should have so many more of these trucks on the roads again! There used to be so many choices: Datsun, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan, and of course Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

Now it is just Santa Cruz and Maverick right? Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma are nice smaller trucks, resale is very good, but their mpg is crap to what we are talking about here. I love the Taco's too, but we've been socially engineered and sold out into larger more expensive autos that aren't necessarily what we really need. Or heavy duty 4WD vehicles most don't actually need. I've fallen prey like the rest of them. We own two Wranglers, and hardly ever take them off-roading LOL.

For me it would be the Maverick, no question. Lot's of trim choices. Santa Cruz just doesn't do it for me in the looks department. It would be Maverick Ecoboost AWD lowest trim level so I could customize myself. Just some aftermarket wheels would go a long way for appearance. For a business, throw on some cool vinyl ads. Would be a great runner for something like you are talking about. Too bad they are so hard to get, or way overpriced, even if you can find them used. Ordering in today's climate will be crapshoot to receive when they estimate, but still tempting if you are ok with the wait and unpredictability. Perhaps you can get lucky and and find one sooner for a reasonable price. When I looked a few months ago, I couldn't find anything. Just dealer posers acting like they have stock on Autotrader\Cargurus so you would call and hopefully would place an order with them.
My friend you are so right! Heck my 92 Chevy 4.3 1500 got 20mpg at least on the highway, I was just a nice base truck that got the job done.

I too have fallen victim to the sleezy dealers. Show stock and call and they haven't had anything in months. I did have a dealer that had two Mavericks that were backed out on...but they wanted 10k over msrp, which is a 40% markup. Like I've said before I buy a truck or car every year and I won't be doing business with any dealer that over charges. I don't do that with either of my companies and I expect the same.

The Santa Cruz is the only one that is actually under msrp right now and has great interest rates...also in stock. If you compare the two you actually get more for your money with the Santa Cruz.

I watched a video on the Maverick the other day, they called it "Built Ford Rough" do to all the interior sharp edges, literally. Also it came to them already having water in the headlights. I've also like Ford but I do feel like their quality has tanked, I borderline hate my 19 F250 bought from new. My 5 other F250s we're fantastic, as were my 150s.

I'm going to go test drive a Lightning, Maverick and Santa Cruz next week, I'll report back.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

The Maverick and Santa are trucks?
Jk
For piddling, I suppose either way. For a long lasting TRUCK with decent mpg...Taco SR5 2.7L, hands down. Discounts to be had.

Maybe it's a Texan thing, but I'd be covering my face in a Mav or Santa. Especially the Santa.

GL
      07-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #15
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
The Maverick and Santa are trucks?
Jk
For piddling, I suppose either way. For a long lasting TRUCK with decent mpg...Taco SR5 2.7L, hands down. Discounts to be had.

Maybe it's a Texan thing, but I'd be covering my face in a Mav or Santa. Especially the Santa.

GL
I have a fleet of "real" trucks and I could care less anyways, I'm confident in my masculinity and don't need a truck to prove it, you'll get there someday. By the way I wear cargo shorts as well. But what it comes down to is all about cost savings. The Taco doesn't get very good fuel mileage, is just as much as the Cruz and is like ancient times as far as tech and comfort. Doing manly things all day every day wears your body down so spartan interiors suck. Gotta give my body some well earned relaxation between jobs, you know fixing things for "men" who drive Tacomas. That way they can have time to go to HD on the weekends with their "truck", gotta get those 5bags of mulch. Anyways the warranty is also only as good as the Ford's but the Santa Cruz is 10yr 100k miles.

As a reminder I won't be the one driving this, my wife will be using it as a company vehicle. It will only be carrying light tools and supplies, occasionally a trailer of around 2800lbs. I don't think of any of these as a truck, including the Taco. A real truck is a 3/4ton or better in my mind and even those are a joke anymore. A good truck was the early 2000s F350s, miss those dearly. Even better was my 4500 cab over, those are a hoot to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 10:02 PM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

Never read the word wife's. Did read the word opinions.
Didn't mean to set you off.
Peace.
      07-27-2022, 10:27 PM   #17
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Never read the word wife's. Did read the word opinions.
Didn't mean to set you off.
Peace.
I was just playing man. In all truth though all trucks big and small suck now. I wish I had better options but it is what it is. Another issue is the areas we park are getting smaller. What kind of mpg are you getting with your TACO? I really want the Lightning but can't hold out that long.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 11:55 PM   #18
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
FYI if you are a Costco member, their car buying program is supposed to be excellent.
Here's a Maverick quote: https://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/...?trimId=423137
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2022, 05:41 AM   #19
its55
2008 BMW E92 M3
Rep

Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I recently bought a new Nissan Frontier and really like it. I see no reason not to recommend it. Frontiers have held up very well over the years.

I looked at Tacos however the dealers wanted $4K over msrp. I got the Frontier from under msrp.

A Maverick is a Ford Edge with a truck bed; not a "true" pickup truck and will never take the abuse that a "true" pickup truck will. I tried to look at them when purchasing but none were available.

I test drove a Ford Ranger and it just did not appeal to me. Something about the driving position was off no matter how I adjusted and it didn't seem to handle as well as the Frontier.

Never did like the GM small trucks, they drive too much like cars to me. They seem flimsy.

The Ridgeline is like the Maverick, not a "true" truck, although well-built. They're also very expensive.

Last edited by its55; 07-28-2022 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 07:01 AM   #20
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
As the original owner of a 1984 Toyota DeLuxe Pickup long-bed 5speed manual that just turned 80,000 miles, I have to say no one really makes a "small" truck anymore. I didn't even want 4WD or A/C when I bought this one, just the long bed and 5-speed which has worked will for hauling motorcycles (with the tailgate closed) easily with such a low lift height. I'm sure with fuel-injection, mileage might improve, but it's still chugging along. I had considered the new Maverick but a 4.5-foot bed really isn't a truck in my mind.
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #21
OldDudesBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 14 328i xDrive+16 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
My friend you are so right! Heck my 92 Chevy 4.3 1500 got 20mpg at least on the highway, I was just a nice base truck that got the job done.

I too have fallen victim to the sleezy dealers. Show stock and call and they haven't had anything in months. I did have a dealer that had two Mavericks that were backed out on...but they wanted 10k over msrp, which is a 40% markup. Like I've said before I buy a truck or car every year and I won't be doing business with any dealer that over charges. I don't do that with either of my companies and I expect the same.

The Santa Cruz is the only one that is actually under msrp right now and has great interest rates...also in stock. If you compare the two you actually get more for your money with the Santa Cruz.

I watched a video on the Maverick the other day, they called it "Built Ford Rough" do to all the interior sharp edges, literally. Also it came to them already having water in the headlights. I've also like Ford but I do feel like their quality has tanked, I borderline hate my 19 F250 bought from new. My 5 other F250s we're fantastic, as were my 150s.

I'm going to go test drive a Lightning, Maverick and Santa Cruz next week, I'll report back.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. I see some are having a difficult time understanding the small trucks discussion, haha. Anyone that lived in the 70's and 80's know small trucks were loved and used by many. There is plenty of room for large trucks and small, just like we have room for 1200, 800 and 400 grit sandpaper . Seriously though...let's say you have an auto parts store and need to run small to medium sized parts all day every day (500-700 miles per week). The Maverick or S. Cruz is perfect for this. At $4-5 gallon, there is big $ to be saved by not using a larger, heavier truck. Do the math Maverick vs Tacoma after 3-5 years, and and also consider original MSRP/resale value. I am betting the Maverick and S. Cruz resale value will be pretty damn good without any real competition.

I hear your concerns about quality. For me Ford vs Hyundai, in this particular battle, would be a toss up. Hyundai was on my good list for a long while, but they have had their issues too (class action suit for excessive oil consumption, plus other engine recall issues). Hopefully both will stand behind their products and warranties on these small trucks. I would like to see both succeed so we can see more competition in this field. Small trucks can steal sales from bigger trucks and cars alike when younger folks see how useful they are. Fuel prices may bring us back a few decades, when we saw the small 4 cylinder trucks dominate the scene, as I had been reminiscing about.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
Conissah
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

As much as I hate Fords, and I think the Maverick is kind of goofy, it does 99% of the truck stuff that people need. Guy I used to work with bought one recently as his shop truck, replaced his 2016 Silverado. He consistently gets 550-600 miles on a tank... That's some insane fuel mileage. Pricing is good too, if you can get one without an ADM. That's the norm nowadays though, which sucks.
Appreciate 2