New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #155
kyriian
Lieutenant
kyriian's Avatar
470
Rep
485
Posts

 
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
... for people to giggle every time their car makes pops and bangs out of the exhaust when driving it.
But where will the G35/350Z/G37/370Z, WRX and other pop n bang aficionados annoy everyone if they can't pop n bang anymore

Or the lifted pavement princesses can't roll coal anymore in front of Teslas and Priuses! Oh the humanity!

/s
__________________
Revolution of our Times
Current: 06 BMW Z4MR, 14 BMW X5 35i, 11 Scion tC
Past: 11 C63, 15 Golf TSI, 11 370Z, 07 MX5, 02 Civic SiR, 96 Civic DX Coupe, 03 Miata, 03 Cooper S, 88 RX7 GXL
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #156
G MONEY
Captain
1222
Rep
804
Posts

 
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: EARTH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
... for people to giggle every time their car makes pops and bangs out of the exhaust when driving it.
But where will the G35/350Z/G37/370Z, WRX and other pop n bang aficionados annoy everyone if they can't pop n bang anymore

Or the lifted pavement princesses can't roll coal anymore in front of Teslas and Priuses! Oh the humanity!

/s
You forgot to put M3/4 in your list of pops and bang garbage😉🤣
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 04:03 PM   #157
billnchristy
Major
963
Rep
1,281
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here's a volt battery for under 6k:
https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/...hybrid-battery

Found others, all under 10k

Volt packs are created in sections, most of the time only one section has to be replaced, that can be done for around 2k.

I don't know where this crazy ass 30k was from, a chevy dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #158
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
992
Rep
429
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 M240i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Here's a volt battery for under 6k:
https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/...hybrid-battery

Found others, all under 10k

Volt packs are created in sections, most of the time only one section has to be replaced, that can be done for around 2k.

I don't know where this crazy ass 30k was from, a chevy dealer?
from their warranty page (all sorts of loopholes):

Warranties are not-prorated. We provide complete warranty coverage for 3 years and unlimited mileage.

Batteries replaced under warranty that were originally shipped to customers or third party installers are not eligible for a free installation by Best Hybrid Batteries, and are not subject to reimbursement for labor charges.

The warranty does not cover any commercial use of the product. Vehicles entered into commercial service (taxi cab, rideshare, delivery vehicles, etc.) will void any warranty. Commercial vehicles are eligible for a standard 12 month warranty if declared at the time of the original purchase.

The warranty excludes failures from improper installations by other parties, for storage beyond thirty (30) days, to any damage caused after the delivery of the battery to the customer, or damages caused by shipping, if accepted at delivery and not documented with the carrier.

Certain engine malfunctions on a hybrid vehicle will cause premature battery failure. Namely, a loss of engine function can occur where the vehicle drives on battery power alone, thereby weakening the battery to the point of failure. These and any other condition beyond the control of Best Hybrid Batteries are not anticipated or covered by this warranty policy.
__________________
2022 BMW M240i Portimao
Gone: 2020 Genesis G70 3.3T | 2018 Audi A5 SportBack | 2015 Challenger Scat Pack | 2011 Mustang V6 | numerous others..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:45 PM   #159
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
593
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Here lies the big problem in general for humans and innovation to be fair. Sens ICE car became the norm they still haven't managed to make it 0 local emission. And now when the governments of the world start applying pressure then they said "Well we can innovate them to become more efficient"

Then my answer is imidietly then why didn't you do it before if you can suddenly now? Its not like suddenly that specific tech became available, to make them super efficient and 0 local emissions. .
Same reason the Hummer EV produces more carbon emissions per mile driven when charged with the average power grid mix (carbon/wind/solar) than a straight ICE Malibu: because people want to buy it, not because they want to be green.

The ICE can be more efficient, look at the Prius. It is on par with the average EV efficiency when measured as mile driven per pound of CO2 produced in a mixed power grid. People don't buy those Prius' is the problem.

Don't make what people want to buy? guess what... they won't buy it. Mandate it? Many still won't buy it.

Efficient ICE's suck to drive. Efficient EV's suck to drive. People don't want cars that suck. People don't want cars that are hard to "fill up" either. I suspect the powers in charge will mandate themselves into a corner and have to "punt".
Appreciate 2
Cos270369.00
      09-23-2022, 01:56 AM   #160
Nahlem
Captain
Nahlem's Avatar
Sweden
920
Rep
790
Posts

 
Drives: BMW i4 M50 (DD)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What other uses do you have in mind for crude oil derived fuels? Gasoline and diesel have the best energy-to-weight ratio of any fuel on the planet other than uranium. Gasoline and diesel are actually the best fuel for on-board energy storage. Batteries are about the worst energy density fuel.

The answer to why ICE are just now appearing to improve efficiency is because there are new technologies at play and market acceptance for higher costs to gain higher efficiencies.

The Volt was a car ahead of its time.
Isn't it better if we can use the Oil for all the other stuff that we are using it for instead of wasting it out of the cars exhaust?

Our world is far from being independence of oil and it will take a long time to replace everything with alternatives that we are using the oil for today.

We are using Oil for our plastics, clothing, furniture, insulation, kitchenware, food production, construction

Isn't it better to keep the oil "cheap" for those alternatives instead of wasting in our cars to propels forward.

For example in food production we are using fertilizer that depends on petroleum better to keep it for that then for something else.

If oil is a super finite resource although i believe it is more likely to be more abundant then they say but just that it gets harder to extract and to get to more oil we have to use more brute methods to extract it from the hard to reach places instead of keeping those oil wells/springs that we have for better use.

Diesel have gotten a way to bad rep i agree on that diesels are a proper good options especially if we can get HVO on a larger scale then that would be preferable.

Even if current generation of batteries aint optimal for density then the current fuels we are seeing far more improvements on that tech then we have seen in the last 100 years of petrol/diesel. And EVs are far more efficient compared to regular cars.

While Petrol/Diesel cant be reused out of the engine we can reuse batteries even when they go "bad" we can still use them until needed to be scrapped and recycled.

Again i am a strong believer that oil will be with us for a long time and i don't think we cant replace everything oil based in the next 100-300 years. But cars can be run on alternative fuels and any transportation for that matter.

Imagine if we could get large ship/vessels to run on something else then having to fill up their tanks with loads of different fuel's depending on where they are on the world oceans due to different regulations for different zones. If that isn't a waste then i don't know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Same reason the Hummer EV produces more carbon emissions per mile driven when charged with the average power grid mix (carbon/wind/solar) than a straight ICE Malibu: because people want to buy it, not because they want to be green.

The ICE can be more efficient, look at the Prius. It is on par with the average EV efficiency when measured as mile driven per pound of CO2 produced in a mixed power grid. People don't buy those Prius' is the problem.

Don't make what people want to buy? guess what... they won't buy it. Mandate it? Many still won't buy it.

Efficient ICE's suck to drive. Efficient EV's suck to drive. People don't want cars that suck. People don't want cars that are hard to "fill up" either. I suspect the powers in charge will mandate themselves into a corner and have to "punt".
Correct but also incorrect you are talking about people who more or less, wants cars to be performance orientated then anything else. Those are a minority i can only speak for those in my social ring and around that loads of them they couldn't care less if the car "sucks" to drive as long as it looks fast and takes them from A-B but that doesn't make EVs suck in terms of driving experience because it doesn't but to be fair i agree today's EVs are way to heavy to be considered "enthusiast" car or driven on the track but that will change especially with newer batteries improving on the weight and range in the coming 5-30 years witch isn't a long time they will from now on double or tipple in range capacity in some cases, while reducing weight at the same time and improving charging times.

But for the average Joe who likes his/hers car to look fast but doesn't really care on how it drives today's EVs are more then well enough, as long as they don't make them all look like spaceships from the future. Thats why the i4 m50 is going to be one of BMWs best selling "M-Product" lets not mistake that for a proper M-Car thats a different thing.
__________________
Current Car: BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)

Former Car: BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)

Last edited by Nahlem; 09-23-2022 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP1835.00
      09-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #161
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
593
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post


Correct but also incorrect you are talking about people who more or less, wants cars to be performance orientated then anything else.
I'm talking about the normal average car buying public too. If they wanted a car to get them from A-B and wanted to save the planet while they were doing it, all ICE cars would have a Prius-like drivetrain today. That they don't is the proof of my concept.

The tech has existed in mainstream reliable fashion for over 25 years and was not depending on some as-yet un-invented breakthrough. People quit buying them after those that want that driving dynamic got their fill. It is now discontinued. Most of us have never owned a prius, and there is a reason for that : we don't actually care that much about efficient ICE's when it comes right down to it, and thus they aren't bought, meaning few are made. Manufactures are perfectly capable, and have been for decades.
Appreciate 2
Cos270369.00
Efthreeoh11411.00
      09-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #162
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
1835
Rep
2,269
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Isn't it better if we can use the Oil for all the other stuff that we are using it for instead of wasting it out of the cars exhaust?

Our world is far from being independence of oil and it will take a long time to replace everything with alternatives that we are using the oil for today.

We are using Oil for our plastics, clothing, furniture, insulation, kitchenware, food production, construction

Isn't it better to keep the oil "cheap" for those alternatives instead of wasting in our cars to propels forward.

For example in food production we are using fertilizer that depends on petroleum better to keep it for that then for something else.

If oil is a super finite resource although i believe it is more likely to be more abundant then they say but just that it gets harder to extract and to get to more oil we have to use more brute methods to extract it from the hard to reach places instead of keeping those oil wells/springs that we have for better use.

Diesel have gotten a way to bad rep i agree on that diesels are a proper good options especially if we can get HVO on a larger scale then that would be preferable.

Even if current generation of batteries aint optimal for density then the current fuels we are seeing far more improvements on that tech then we have seen in the last 100 years of petrol/diesel. And EVs are far more efficient compared to regular cars.

While Petrol/Diesel cant be reused out of the engine we can reuse batteries even when they go "bad" we can still use them until needed to be scrapped and recycled.

Again i am a strong believer that oil will be with us for a long time and i don't think we cant replace everything oil based in the next 100-300 years. But cars can be run on alternative fuels and any transportation for that matter.

Imagine if we could get large ship/vessels to run on something else then having to fill up their tanks with loads of different fuel's depending on where they are on the world oceans due to different regulations for different zones. If that isn't a waste then i don't know what.



Correct but also incorrect you are talking about people who more or less, wants cars to be performance orientated then anything else. Those are a minority i can only speak for those in my social ring and around that loads of them they couldn't care less if the car "sucks" to drive as long as it looks fast and takes them from A-B but that doesn't make EVs suck in terms of driving experience because it doesn't but to be fair i agree today's EVs are way to heavy to be considered "enthusiast" car or driven on the track but that will change especially with newer batteries improving on the weight and range in the coming 5-30 years witch isn't a long time they will from now on double or tipple in range capacity in some cases, while reducing weight at the same time and improving charging times.

But for the average Joe who likes his/hers car to look fast but doesn't really care on how it drives today's EVs are more then well enough, as long as they don't make them all look like spaceships from the future. Thats why the i4 m50 is going to be one of BMWs best selling "M-Product" lets not mistake that for a proper M-Car thats a different thing.
Exactly.

I would say probably 90% of the people who buy cars, even if it's performance, still want an A to B car. We only make up the 10% that are emotionally tied to whatever car we currently own, or might've owned (that we would buy again) etc. That's why people still hang on to their old toys. Even though the technology and performance is ancient to keep up with modern times.

There's only a couple of people at my job who like cars but they're not invested the way i am in terms of being an actual "car guy" and they ALL LOVE my model 3. So much that they want to get one. I gave them rides and that was it. The smoothness of it. The quietness, the rapid acceleration to zip around town is all you need.

The issue with debating with certain people is that they change up their argument when they're losing. If you bring up fast 0-60 times, now they want to talk about track times. If you bring up 60-130 times, now they say it's too dangerous and who drives at those speeds. When you bring up track times, then they say, yeah but who is really tracking their car on a daily basis?

It never ends. The fact is, the automotive industry is constantly improving and constantly changing. I do agree putting a 2035 date on all this seems a bit much but at the same time, we're transitioning the way we would've anyway even if they DID NOT mention a 2035 ban. So idk why people are getting upset.

I totally agree on the oil thing. We have enough oil to last us generations. It's not like it's almost finished and we need to scramble for another source.

I believe instead of putting a 2035 ban, put a huge restriction on ICE instead.

Let people use their ICE for recreational purposes only, like on the weekend, and everyone will drive their EV monday-friday.

Or put a mileage limitation on their ICE cars. That will make most people convert to EV and those who are true ICE fans, will keep their ICE for the weekend. Almost like a lease mileage limit. Like 3000 miles per year @ x amount of dollars. 5000 miles per year @ x amount of dollars to drive your ICE car etc.
__________________
2022 model 3 LR.
Kia ev6 - order cancelled
Model s plaid on order
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 11:36 PM   #163
Angelo1
First Lieutenant
Angelo1's Avatar
135
Rep
333
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Knoxville,TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have an idea, let's limit the number of words people can type into the internet on a daily basis.
Best comment! Some of these people must work for the Chinese government when calling for crazy restrictions. These nut cases just want control.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh11411.00
      09-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #164
G MONEY
Captain
1222
Rep
804
Posts

 
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: EARTH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have an idea, let's limit the number of words people can type into the internet on a daily basis.
There has never been a more accurate post than this one. 😉
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh11411.00
      09-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #165
Nahlem
Captain
Nahlem's Avatar
Sweden
920
Rep
790
Posts

 
Drives: BMW i4 M50 (DD)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Long-distance Commercial aviation is always going to determine the availability of gasoline and diesel, and that is the problem for EV. There is no near term replacement technology for jet engines for cost-effective long-distance air flight travel. To distill just jet fuel from a barrel of crude, meaning not producing gasoline and diesel, would require a complete reconstruction of the fractional distillate production process currently in use by the US oil industry and the worldwide industy as a whole. It would be a massive private capital investment and take decades to accomplish. In short, gasoline and diesel as motor fuels will remain available at low cost (excluding taxing schemes).

Despite the efficiencies of the EV drivetrain, it needs a large, heavy lump of chemicals assembled in a complex matrix that is expensive to manufacture and expensive to dispose of once the battery is spent. Diesel has 38kWh of energy for a weight of just 7 pounds. A 85kWh Model S battery weighs around 1200 pounds. You can do the math and see the problem and decide which fuel source makes for a logical choice for on-board storage.

The obvious choice is to improve the efficiency of the ICE drivetrain. The logical path is use of a high-efficiency combustion process to generate electricity for an on-board electrical power source to power EV motors. That engineering path does not disrupt (a) the petrochemical production infrastructure, (b) the ICE charging infrastructure, and (c) the electrical energy distribution infrastructure.

But CO2 is a planet killer. Stop breathing...
At this time i would agree we are not near a replacement of aviation fuel yet and that yet is closer then we think in terms of developing an potential long range ev aviation i don't think that is not to far away if we look at air planes and their routes now i am not talking about military aviation, but regular aviation, they have fixed points to and where from there is really no "custom" routes in a way as we have with cars where what if i want to take a detour with my car can i do it?

Now think a couple of years ahead we are seeing battery tech develop rather quickly and we are talking about a development rate of every 5 years we are doubling the capacity of batteries while reducing its weight at the same time. Also charging times is being improved a lot but an air plane on fixed route between New York to London witch is about 3500 miles think its like 3400 or so but lets say 3500.

Look at the Mercedes that drove 626 miles i don't think we are very far of with aviation that gets us in to the transatlantic space where we have about 3500 miles but shorter in truth.

The Air plane takes of from JFK to Heathrow Air port fully charged just as today's air planes are fully fuelled but they always can charge the air plane to 100% even with isn't a fully booked flight and then lands at Heathrow airport with what maybe 10% battery left charges up their and then back again because air ports will be able to accommodate such chargers that this will be viable.

So i disagree with your assessment here that the only logical way is to keep going with combustion engines, it aint. But for now they are and should still be with us.

When it comes to CO2 we can have discussions about it if you want and how good it is for our environment or bad, but then again i would never think of starting the car in a closed environment like a garage and sitting there as history has shown us that is rather dangerous, and shouldn't be done, earth is like a gianormous garage if we keep pumping out this huge amount of c02 more then the planet and all of its plants everywhere can handle including the oceans then i am most certain we are going in for a very bad time other then the warming of the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I'm talking about the normal average car buying public too. If they wanted a car to get them from A-B and wanted to save the planet while they were doing it, all ICE cars would have a Prius-like drivetrain today. That they don't is the proof of my concept.

The tech has existed in mainstream reliable fashion for over 25 years and was not depending on some as-yet un-invented breakthrough. People quit buying them after those that want that driving dynamic got their fill. It is now discontinued. Most of us have never owned a prius, and there is a reason for that : we don't actually care that much about efficient ICE's when it comes right down to it, and thus they aren't bought, meaning few are made. Manufactures are perfectly capable, and have been for decades.
What a normal average buyer doesn't want a car that looks better then the prius? But doesn't care to much about the engine? For example between January 2021 to 2022 in Sweden the most sold car was the Volvo XC40 with the 1,5 l T3 engine, Aint those average buyers?

US most sold cars we are talking about cars and not vehicles the best selling so far between January and August 2022 in the US is the Toyota RAV4 and that aint a performance car and i would almost also be certain that the most people will be choosing the hybrid.

The people on this forums aint the "average" buyer.
__________________
Current Car: BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)

Former Car: BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #166
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2418
Rep
3,028
Posts

 
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
At this time i would agree we are not near a replacement of aviation fuel yet and that yet is closer then we think in terms of developing an potential long range ev aviation i don't think that is not to far away if we look at air planes and their routes now i am not talking about military aviation, but regular aviation, they have fixed points to and where from there is really no "custom" routes in a way as we have with cars where what if i want to take a detour with my car can i do it?

Now think a couple of years ahead we are seeing battery tech develop rather quickly and we are talking about a development rate of every 5 years we are doubling the capacity of batteries while reducing its weight at the same time. Also charging times is being improved a lot but an air plane on fixed route between New York to London witch is about 3500 miles think its like 3400 or so but lets say 3500.

Look at the Mercedes that drove 626 miles i don't think we are very far of with aviation that gets us in to the transatlantic space where we have about 3500 miles but shorter in truth.

The Air plane takes of from JFK to Heathrow Air port fully charged just as today's air planes are fully fuelled but they always can charge the air plane to 100% even with isn't a fully booked flight and then lands at Heathrow airport with what maybe 10% battery left charges up their and then back again because air ports will be able to accommodate such chargers that this will be viable.

So i disagree with your assessment here that the only logical way is to keep going with combustion engines, it aint. But for now they are and should still be with us.

When it comes to CO2 we can have discussions about it if you want and how good it is for our environment or bad, but then again i would never think of starting the car in a closed environment like a garage and sitting there as history has shown us that is rather dangerous, and shouldn't be done, earth is like a gianormous garage if we keep pumping out this huge amount of c02 more then the planet and all of its plants everywhere can handle including the oceans then i am most certain we are going in for a very bad time other then the warming of the globe.



What a normal average buyer doesn't want a car that looks better then the prius? But doesn't care to much about the engine? For example between January 2021 to 2022 in Sweden the most sold car was the Volvo XC40 with the 1,5 l T3 engine, Aint those average buyers?

US most sold cars we are talking about cars and not vehicles the best selling so far between January and August 2022 in the US is the Toyota RAV4 and that aint a performance car and i would almost also be certain that the most people will be choosing the hybrid.

The people on this forums aint the "average" buyer.
Longer distance commercial flights will be using jet fuel for the forseable future. Hydrogen requires installing heavy high pressure tanks which not only includes the weight of the tank, but the reinforcement of the wings/fuselage to carry it, all resulting in far less load capability, not to mention poor efficiency for all the processes involved with extracting, compressing and storing the hydrogen. There is simply nowhere near the battery capacity energy density on the horizon to do this electrically. Neither hydrogen or electric will do these longer distance flights.

But, shorter routes, say 100-maybe even 500 miles, may be the complete opposite. Either as electric only, or with a small engine assist. The reason being that current airliners basically "glide" down from their max altitude and if you can get to FL350, then you can glide back down and using airliner aerodynamics, that's 250 miles or more total right there including the climb. This actually might lend itself quite well to electric or hybrid powerplants. When airplanes "turn around" at the gate, that process is not a 10 minute re-fueling either, it takes significant time to get people off and on. That still leaves a pretty big challenge of charging in a reasonable amount of time, but this could balance out with only having to go to 80% or whatever depending on what the flight requirements are and previous fuel costs where it still may be cost effective to keep it on the ground vs. burning jet fuel. Burning jet fuel is their number one cost.
__________________
Current: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2022 Kia Stinger. Former: BMW 428i Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #167
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
593
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post


What a normal average buyer doesn't want a car that looks better then the prius? But doesn't care to much about the engine? For example between January 2021 to 2022 in Sweden the most sold car was the Volvo XC40 with the 1,5 l T3 engine, Aint those average buyers?

US most sold cars we are talking about cars and not vehicles the best selling so far between January and August 2022 in the US is the Toyota RAV4 and that aint a performance car and i would almost also be certain that the most people will be choosing the hybrid.

The people on this forums aint the "average" buyer.
Why does the Ford Mustang and F150, or the Chevy Camaro and Silverado not all come with a Prius-like 1.8 liter hybrid?

Because they can't make one, or because they won't be able to sell them?

The Rav 4 hybrid MPG comes in a 41/38 city/highway with a 2.5 liter at 219 HP.

The Prius comes in at 58/53 and uses a 1.8 liter at 121 HP.

Why put a less efficient more powerful engine in the RAV when they have a "better and greener" engine? Because that's what people want... It's not a lack of tech or some missing/future breakthrough.

It seems those average RAV4 buyers want that extra 100 HP.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #168
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
593
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Now think a couple of years ahead we are seeing battery tech develop rather quickly and we are talking about a development rate of every 5 years we are doubling the capacity of batteries while reducing its weight at the same time.
In the last 10 years, the tesla platform and all of it's advancements and revisions in that time has only improved KWH/Kilograms by 10%, and increased the size of the largest battery available by just 12%.

They can make a battery bigger just by adding cells, but that's then like saying I can make a plane fly further by putting in a bigger fuel tank. That's not a scientific advancement, it's simple physics of scaling, and you get diminishing returns on efficiency when you do that.

At the current 10% per year energy density improvement, we are 80-120 years away from getting where we want to be on power to weight of battery tech replacing liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh11411.00
      09-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #169
chris719
Major General
6006
Rep
6,141
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Why does the Ford Mustang and F150, or the Chevy Camaro and Silverado not all come with a Prius-like 1.8 liter hybrid?

Because they can't make one, or because they won't be able to sell them?

The Rav 4 hybrid MPG comes in a 41/38 city/highway with a 2.5 liter at 219 HP.

The Prius comes in at 58/53 and uses a 1.8 liter at 121 HP.

Why put a less efficient more powerful engine in the RAV when they have a "better and greener" engine? Because that's what people want... It's not a lack of tech or some missing/future breakthrough.

It seems those average RAV4 buyers want that extra 100 HP.
People want it, but it's all relative. In the 80s and early 90s almost every low - mid priced car was slow as shit. Still, units were moved. If every mfg made underpowered entry level trucks, they would probably sell. They are all just paranoid to take the first step and get burned by bad reviews and competitor marketing. Individuals do not care about efficiency until fuel prices go through the roof, and they will forget again when it goes down. This was well proven with the greater shift to SUVs once fuel prices fell.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #170
chris719
Major General
6006
Rep
6,141
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
At the current 10% per year energy density improvement, we are 80-120 years away from getting where we want to be on power to weight of battery tech replacing liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
Exceeding the usable energy density of liquid fuel isn't necessary to make batteries superior for many applications. No one is pretending this is realistic or necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #171
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
593
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Exceeding the usable energy density of liquid fuel isn't necessary to make batteries superior for many applications. No one is pretending this is realistic or necessary.
It is for aircraft, which was what the other person was talking about.

Citing rapid growth in density and weight reduction, my data reveals 1-2% a year. Thatís not rapid.
Appreciate 2
Cos270369.00
Efthreeoh11411.00
      09-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #172
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
593
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
People want it, but it's all relative. In the 80s and early 90s almost every low - mid priced car was slow as shit. Still, units were moved. If every mfg made underpowered entry level trucks, they would probably sell. They are all just paranoid to take the first step and get burned by bad reviews and competitor marketing. Individuals do not care about efficiency until fuel prices go through the roof, and they will forget again when it goes down. This was well proven with the greater shift to SUVs once fuel prices fell.
And efficient ones existed then too that were not sales leaders. All relative is a good way to put it. Past and present, people will buy what they want to drive within their budget, not what is best for the planet.

Lack of fuel economy in modern cars has to do with what people want to buy, and is not based on what the planet needs.

Since the stated goal of EV mandates is CO2 reduction, perhaps they should mandate CO2 per mile driven instead. that would eliminate a lot of the current EV's from the market, and retain a lot of the ICE's. But then again, that's being logical not emotional, and that's not how the government is run or how to get votes.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 09-24-2022 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270369.00
      09-24-2022, 07:02 PM   #173
chris719
Major General
6006
Rep
6,141
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Airplanes will not fly very far or carry many passengers at today's best battery density; it's not even close.
Yeah, I missed this was about aircraft and not cars.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh11411.00
      09-25-2022, 08:03 AM   #174
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
1835
Rep
2,269
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List


Elon is such a chill guy. Even when he's out and about wanting to just leave a scene, he patiently stops to answer questions.

Even a lambo guy had to pull up to see this legend lol.

Elon is the best!
__________________
2022 model 3 LR.
Kia ev6 - order cancelled
Model s plaid on order
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #175
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
201
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: on the road to perdition

iTrader: (1)

The battery going out after 8 years is not unexpected. Like any thing one needs to plan for such maintenance. Kinda like replacing the roof on a house. It is going to be a chunk of money.

However, what bothers me is the claim of Tesla not checking the battery condition. While there may be electronic monitoring it does not sound like there is physical monitoring. Both are important.

Even more bothersome is being locked out of the vehicle. There is absolutely no reason for that. One should always be able to get into their vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #176
Nahlem
Captain
Nahlem's Avatar
Sweden
920
Rep
790
Posts

 
Drives: BMW i4 M50 (DD)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've spent the last 15 years of my professional career in the field of aviation surveillance, working directly with the FAA, so I know the flight side quite well. Earlier in my professional career I worked on manufacturing thrust reversers for GE aircraft jet engines, so I know very well the flight certification process of FAA-approved aircraft hardware. Even if an alternate "jet engine" that used hydrogen or electricity were introduced today, it would take over a decade to get flight certified and then two more decades to change the world's jet fleet to non-combustion jet powered flight. So, we can dream electric airplanes are right on the heels of the magical solid state EV battery but in reality, they are not. There is no substitution for the energy density carbon-based fuel has. It is stupid not to continue use of inexpensive, high energy dense fuels for on-board energy storage for transportation vehicles, especially airplanes.

And your analogy that the Earth is just a very large garage is just incorrect. The Earth recycles CO2 and other GHG by recombining with other elements. Photosynthesis is one such chemical process that recycles CO2. Staying in a closed garage while an ICE is running is not the same as running trillions of ICE in the Earth's atmosphere. The argument against human-generated ICE CO2 emissions is how it affects the Earth's greenhouse gas effect and theoretically increases the Earth's mean temperature over the millenniums to a point that will make the planet uninhabitable. Your analogy of the garage is a gas in high concentration reduces the available oxygen for the human to breathe NOT because the temperature of the garage gets too hot for the human to survive. You are in fear of a made-up scenario that will never come to fruition. Stop listening to fear mongers and try to use science and logic if you are concerned of such things like (anthropogenic) climate change. The 8 billion humans on the planet are exhaling trillions of tons of CO2 every second of the day; the billions of other animals on the planet are too.

Try to get some sleep, the Earth is not dying.

And because of the long process of certification for these type of flights the faster they have to come up with the solution and not keep using jet fuel for that if it takes as you say a decade to get a flight certified then the faster we put EV flights in to action for the long process for certification the better it should rather have be done yester year and not now.

Yet we are seeing the battery tech evolve faster then the combustion technology have done for the last 100 years so that speaks lengths for the coming tech compared to combustion.

If we aren't putting out so much more Co2 compared to what the earth can handle and recycle and yeah don't get me wrong earth will be fine we on the other hand won't, And so far research is showing that unfortunately we are putting out more C02 then the earth can handle at this current rate we are in for a bad time.

But then again i hardly believe that c02 is the only issue, its one small issue in the magnitude of many in terms of what we are releasing out in to our atmosphere. So don't get me wrong or mistaken for a crazy green cause i truly don't believe in their doomsday prophecy if you would have read my post correctly you would have seen that, nor do i believe that everyone or every place on earth is going full electric it is not realistic nor feasible right now, but investing in ICE technology witch is old tech and a technology that we have to put behind us sooner then later because it is truly unmodern using that type of fuel to propel us forward when there is far better options as i have stated earlier, then keep using this old tech if they could have developed ICE engines with zero emissions they would have but unfortunately they can't and so it should be put to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Why does the Ford Mustang and F150, or the Chevy Camaro and Silverado not all come with a Prius-like 1.8 liter hybrid?

Because they can't make one, or because they won't be able to sell them?

The Rav 4 hybrid MPG comes in a 41/38 city/highway with a 2.5 liter at 219 HP.

The Prius comes in at 58/53 and uses a 1.8 liter at 121 HP.

Why put a less efficient more powerful engine in the RAV when they have a "better and greener" engine? Because that's what people want... It's not a lack of tech or some missing/future breakthrough.

It seems those average RAV4 buyers want that extra 100 HP.

In the last 10 years, the tesla platform and all of it's advancements and revisions in that time has only improved KWH/Kilograms by 10%, and increased the size of the largest battery available by just 12%.

They can make a battery bigger just by adding cells, but that's then like saying I can make a plane fly further by putting in a bigger fuel tank. That's not a scientific advancement, it's simple physics of scaling, and you get diminishing returns on efficiency when you do that.

At the current 10% per year energy density improvement, we are 80-120 years away from getting where we want to be on power to weight of battery tech replacing liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
Because they are afraid of the bad reviews from old dino journalist so they haven't taken that step yet but should probably sens people will still buy the trucks.

The Rav4 hybrid is a "slow" car as you would put it nor is it the best looking out there, still it is the US most sold car and your most sold truck is still the pickups witch will be coming with EV drivetrain soon, just as the Rivian is here and the F150 lightning also comes in EV its a matter of marketing more then anything else when it comes to cars like this to get the masses to switch.

Most people as i have stated before do not go for a performance car that is mostly forums like this and its members, witch is a minority when it comes to sales of cars, even if people on this forums were buying 2-3 cars at once and all were performance cars it would still be a minimal bump in their sales compared to the big masses of other cars they sell with smaller engines more often then the big ones. So my point on this still stands more true then before people choose cars that mostly looks good but the biggest selling is if the car has the right colour then anything else.

When it comes to development of battery you are talking about Tesla like there hasn't been any advancement made in battery tech in the last few years witch isn't true, we are more then likely closer to 600 miles EV then not, we have seen Mercedes already done it with current tech, we will see BMW get there fast, and i will still go by the word from Northvolt Engineers that work here in my town of Vasteras where they are developing the battery's and they will most certainly disagree with your assessment of that battery tech hasn't developed in the last few years or as you put it won't develop.

Again every 5 years double the capacity while reducing its weight will be the norm.
__________________
Current Car: BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)

Former Car: BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP1835.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST