New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-29-2023, 03:11 AM   #1
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Memorial Day - USA

I think quite a few Americans are confused about Memorial Day. It is a day to remember those who did not come back from war; Those killed or missing.

As the son of a carrier pilot of World War II, my image of Memorial Day and the sacrifices involved is the Navy pilot who has been shot down or forced to ditch in the ocean. He survives, but then comes a terrible ordeal: Alone in a little raft on a big ocean. He has a survival kit with signaling mirror, fishing hook and line and perhaps a bite or two of chocolate and a small can of water, but that's it. In the day, the hot sun is unrelenting; at night, he is shivering cold. If the sea is rough, it's even tougher. Days pass and no aircraft or ship can be seen -- it's an awfully big ocean and the pilot and his raft are just a tiny speck. Even with careful rationing, his water runs out and a terrible thirst comes over him. Nobody sees or knows what happened to him.

His parents or wife in the States are informed that he is missing in action, but there is no more information. Sooner or later he is declared dead, but the mystery remains forever.

There were a lot of military personnel who did not come back from the USA's many wars and of course there were many reasons they did not return. In some cases they did return -- in a casket.

Memorial Day is a day to reflect on their sacrifice. Have fun, but please take a few moments to reflect.
Attached Images

05-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #2
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

Never. Forget.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Llarry15407.50
Esteban43330.00
vreihen1615140.50
3.0L8923.00
Maynard3833.00
      05-31-2023, 04:58 AM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

My Dad always made sure we paused as a family. He would read off names and we would have a moment of silence. Glad he started doing that at a young age. They gave their lives, the very least we can do is give them a moment of silence to show our respect and admiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15407.50
3.0L8923.00