New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-21-2023, 05:23 AM   #1
Deviatorz
Registered
Rep

Drives: none

Buying second hand X3/X1 or other SUVs

I'm planning to buy an 2018+ X3 or X1 or any kind of beamer in China second hand so I was wondering if anyone knows what mileage I should aim below? Also are there any exploits to reset the odometer or accident history in the onboard computer system for any BMW cars that are built 2018 or above? Or if it does change, are there warnings (like in the bootloader) to look for? Does anyone know what in particular I should look for in a second hand car? Any help would be appreciated thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 08:50 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Getting a vehicle history via Carfax or similar will pretty reliably show any odometer tampering. The average mileage per year is 12,000 (convert to km), so if it's within that range you're good. Newer/less mileage will obviously cost more Anecdotally I wouldn't buy any 2020 or even 2021 model vehicles made after the March lockdowns. Too many stories of poorly sources/built vehicles out there. But anything built up to then should be a good bargain as they may have low mileage due to quarantine. Weird to be thinking that way, but it's a thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:05 PM   #3
Deviatorz
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Getting a vehicle history via Carfax or similar will pretty reliably show any odometer tampering. The average mileage per year is 12,000 (convert to km), so if it's within that range you're good. Newer/less mileage will obviously cost more Anecdotally I wouldn't buy any 2020 or even 2021 model vehicles made after the March lockdowns. Too many stories of poorly sources/built vehicles out there. But anything built up to then should be a good bargain as they may have low mileage due to quarantine. Weird to be thinking that way, but it's a thing.
Thanks for the reply. I think what you said makes sense. My other concern is that I heard all used car places in China all reset the odometer but I guess with the lockdown in theory there should be less driving. There isn't any Carfax type services that are realizable here so was wondering if there is abother way to find out?

Another question is if I buy a 2018, it's technically out of warranty and so I should buy warranty as well right?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Can you explain the strategy behind buying second hand from China? Seems to me you're giving up all protections and safeguards in doing so, I'm assuming to save money, which could be a very short sighted decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Because he lives in Vancouver, meaning he is from China.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
Deviatorz
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Can you explain the strategy behind buying second hand from China? Seems to me you're giving up all protections and safeguards in doing so, I'm assuming to save money, which could be a very short sighted decision.
I am from Vancouver, working in China. I plan on buying a vehicle for work + leisure for long drives. The price of a brand new one is still quite high, but a second hand is more within my price range. I always like BMW x series . I don't really have a strategy per se but trying to figure out what I should check in a second hand vehicle before buying. If anything I'm trying to figure out what safeguards I should have. I heard the odometer is generally changed for second hand vehicle so that makes me a bit nervous. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Appreciate 0