New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-17-2023, 11:25 PM   #1
UberR34
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335D (Montego Blue)

Bought my first BMW. 20 miles in. Check engine

As the title says I purchased my first BMW from carvana and it was delivered on Monday (05/15/2023). After a couple delays and about 3 weeks in shipping from California my car is finally here and I love it. 2011 335D Montego blue with tan interior that is immaculate. Paint has seen better days but hey is what it is, should clean up okay with a good correction and coating.

Anyways, the car has just shy of 80k miles on it and carfax shows one owner always at the dealer for maintenance. I have a suspicion that the previous owner was an older person as all the radio presets were classic stations and npr. Just zero wear and tear anywhere on the car.

Well, 20 miles into driving the car (to and from work) about halfway home from work the check engine throws but car runs and drives fine so im not too worried. Checked the code the next day and sure enough. Nox sensor. Simple enough. The car came with a warranty from carvana bumper to bumper so i took it to my local BMW dealer as one does for free work. Why not. Sure enough they confirmed the Nox sensor was bad as well as the windshield sprayer motor being bad. I asked them to check the wheels for bends and/or balance, well better believe it. 3 pretty well bent wheels. I also asked them to adjust the headlights as they were basically on the ground (was using highs to see) and sure enough one of the adjusters was shot and the headlight needs replaced. All in all the mechanic said it looks fantastic, zero leaks anywhere or even seeps, bushing all look nearly new no stressing in them, zero rust, zero damage just a couple things to address.

Just like that id be out thousands from the dealer if it was out of pocket. Ill make my $200 co-pay and keep it pushing. Thanks carvana for selling me a car with a cleared check engine light, but also thanks for fixing it in the long run anyway. Hopefully the car will be done by the weekend but odds are it won't be. Either way Ive got a downpipe, EGR/Swirl flap deletes, ATM intake, and Coilovers and a couple other little things coming for the car. I might have over committed. What do you guys think? Keep it or give it back and find another? Ill post pictures once I get out of work.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2023, 04:40 AM   #2
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Great color combination and hopefully you'll get it all sorted out. I'd be a little nervous about a Diesel, to be honest. In 2010-2011 I wanted a replacement for my 2008 X3 which had a serious accident and had a few issues; the choice came down to a new 335d or 328iT wagon. I was nervous then about BMW's long-term commitment to Diesels in the U.S. market and went with the 328iT. On the other hand, there is a small group of diehard Diesel fans that have stuck with their BMW Diesels and love them.

Last edited by Llarry; 05-18-2023 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
UberR34
Rep

Thanks Llarry

Seems good so far, the dealership is currently fixing everything with genuine BMW bits. I guess the headlight was 1800 plus install alone so. Warranty company just approved nearly 5000 in repairs. Thankfully they have waived the co-pay as well as the issues developed so quickly into ownership. Thumbs up to SilverRock from me if I am honest. It also looks like they will honor fixing the dents and dings and scratches as well as all the paint swirls given they weren't on the listing.

But yeah that's what I hear from people. Either love them or never risked it. I've got a couple friends will the diesels and they have been helping me with the diesel specific research and they seem pretty reliable. They have a couple of common issues that aren't emissions related like injector failure and glow plug/GP module failure. But otherwise seem pretty decent for the long haul.

Hopefully they'll have the car done by Saturday so I can go enjoy the thing. I've been a Volkswagen guy mostly since I started driving now 8 years ago so im excited to finally be in a BMW. I grew up with my dad owning a bunch of BMWs, e12s,e21,e36s,e39,e46. My dad seems pretty proud to have me jump on board haha. Glad to see their are so many diehard fans in general. BMW guys have always seems so much more respectable than VW guys.
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1274.00
Llarry14479.00
      05-19-2023, 04:46 AM   #4
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
I had a solid Turbodiesel for almost 20 years: a 2004 Dodge (Mercedes Stuttgart-built) Sprinter van. It was my "pickup with a roof" which was wonderful for lumber store runs (16-footers fit just fine!) and I could schlepp my llamas from my farm to the vet. The thing was, I only put 25K miles on it in all those years. I bought it for 35K and sold it for 29K -- best return on investment ever in a vehicle. And it got the same fuel economy as my M3s and other vehicles. But age was creeping up on me and I no longer was involved in carrying the llamas (the vet comes to me) or in projects.

If done right, Diesel is wonderful. The problem is all the AdBlue issues in the USA and the lack of commitment from the manufacturers. Diesel owners have to be resourceful and network and do it for themselves.

All the best on your 335d!
      05-19-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerceeMoore View Post
Hi, BMW owners!

My husband and I are looking tobuy car in Ohio as a gift for our 20-year-old son. We have decided on a used BMW 3 Series (сoupe).

However, my husband is concerned that a car from 2007-2009 will likely require additional investments for repairs after the purchase.

I would like to hear the opinions of BMW owners: how significant are the expenses required for repairs for these cars, and how often?
don't do it.

you're welcome.

Last edited by g21; 05-19-2023 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
POBEP359.50
      05-19-2023, 10:39 PM   #6
UberR34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I had a solid Turbodiesel for almost 20 years: a 2004 Dodge (Mercedes Stuttgart-built) Sprinter van. It was my "pickup with a roof" which was wonderful for lumber store runs (16-footers fit just fine!) and I could schlepp my llamas from my farm to the vet. The thing was, I only put 25K miles on it in all those years. I bought it for 35K and sold it for 29K -- best return on investment ever in a vehicle. And it got the same fuel economy as my M3s and other vehicles. But age was creeping up on me and I no longer was involved in carrying the llamas (the vet comes to me) or in projects.

If done right, Diesel is wonderful. The problem is all the AdBlue issues in the USA and the lack of commitment from the manufacturers. Diesel owners have to be resourceful and network and do it for themselves.

All the best on your 335d!

What a solid deal there haha. I’m hoping to toss a tow hitch and pull my bike with the car. After deleting I won’t have to worry about the Adblue crap anymore. Going to drive it for a couple weeks and make sure nothing else comes up before the warranty expires. I have a friend whom is a plumber doing the same with a Merc Sprinter. He loves it haha. Seems you’ve had more than a few modern BMWs. Which has been you’re favorite so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #7
UberR34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
don't do it
How informative. I’m sure they appreciate your response.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 10:46 PM   #8
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberR34 View Post
How informative. I’m sure they appreciate your response.
"I would like to hear the opinions of BMW owners: how significant are the expenses required for repairs for these cars, and how often?"

I am a BMW owner, I have my opinion.
The next question is a crystal ball question. I don't have a crystal ball. Was the car owned by a granma who services it every 6 months by the book and garaged every night and never abused it? That's the only one I'd buy. Even that one I don't have a crystal ball for that type of question. How significant? Very significant.

I'm sure they appreciate my response and I added a couple of words to that post.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 10:50 PM   #9
UberR34
Rep

Quote:
Hi, BMW owners!

My husband and I are looking tobuy car in Ohio as a gift for our 20-year-old son. We have decided on a used BMW 3 Series (сoupe).

However, my husband is concerned that a car from 2007-2009 will likely require additional investments for repairs after the purchase.

I would like to hear the opinions of BMW owners: how significant are the expenses required for repairs for these cars, and how often?
There are a ton of forums here to look through and it can be pretty daunting. As a rule of thumb I’d say you’re better off spending a little more up front for a quality car to begin with that has decent maintenance history. Be sure to check the carfax pretty heavy and don’t overcommit to a car until you’ve had it looked over.

I’d definitely direct you toward a NA car though. They’re generally less problematic and cheaper to fix. If I’m not mistaken for that year the only NA cars are 328i and 328ix. Also they are quite a bit slower so no need to worry about the younger guy getting out of hand.

Also taking the car to a dealer immediately after or even before purchase if possible for an in-depth inspection is a fantastic idea. Generally it’ll be $150-250 depending on dealer and what all they do. All in all my car looks really really good, just needed a few things to be tip top. As mine came with a warranty I’m utilizing it while I can. There are also many aftermarket warranty companies to look into for piece of mind, however be extra sure your research is good and the company has a history of actually paying out.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:45 PM   #10
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

well that escalated quickly....

we went from well maintained 1 owner... 80k with no wear and tear

to

check engine light in 20 miles and a bunch of problems on a single visit at the dealership... including 3 bent wheels.

sounds like carvana inspections are very thorough. I guess the lesson to be learned is that a 80k car is a 80k car. No such thing as no wear and tear, no cosmetic damage and no problems. those are all 100% guarantees
Appreciate 1
Llarry14479.00
      05-19-2023, 11:58 PM   #11
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Hi, BMW owners!

Just read UberR34's OP posting on how a clean/low-mileage/well-maintained BMW immediately needed $5000 of work. Our clean/low-mileage/well-maintained BMW needed $12,000 of additional work. I agree with g21, if you have to ask that question, it's not going to be a good car for your son.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #12
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Wow It looks like it's going to take a lot longer than we expected.

But if it saves money and stress, it's worth considering.

Listening to the advice of BMW owners was definitely a great idea!

And I would be very grateful if you could provide me with at least one link to the discussion, as I haven't figured out the forum too well yet.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517476
      05-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #13
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
sounds like carvana inspections are very thorough
Appreciate 4
Llarry14479.00
      05-21-2023, 06:59 PM   #14
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
I'm a long-time member at Bimmerfest and frequently direct posters there to Bimmerpost here, which has much more activity. But in this case, Bimmerfest has an active BMW Diesel forum, which the OP might find useful to search out knowledge on the 335d.
      05-24-2023, 11:43 PM   #15
UberR34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Just read UberR34's OP posting on how a clean/low-mileage/well-maintained BMW immediately needed $5000 of work. Our clean/low-mileage/well-maintained BMW needed $12,000 of additional work. I agree with g21, if you have to ask that question, it's not going to be a good car for your son.

For what it is worth the repairs on my car would have only been around 1500 if i did the work myself. I only took it to the dealer because of having the warranty. As it turned out there was only one wheel in need of balance as the rest weren't damaged enough to cause issue (apparently). I was only out a couple hundred bucks in total for the balance and alignment, everything else was fully covered. Carvana did infact do a poor job of inspecting the car. If they even inspecting it before sending it to me. The car also arrived with nearly 2000 more miles than in the pictures supplied by carvana. The car also had 4-500 more miles than the paperwork originally said. Didn't matter much to me as the car was still under 80k. But curious how the car traveled 2000 miles while for sale and yet didnt have a check engine light for delivery. Its alright, ill be doing the same trick to them when i sell them my old car.

I received my car back on Tuesday and it has been awesome. The car is fantastic. Definitely one of the best driving cars I've ever owned, even stock with 12 year old shocks. My car all around is probably 1/100 for the age if im being honest though. If you're dealership going people for service I wouldn't risk it.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 11:47 PM   #16
UberR34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I'm a long-time member at Bimmerfest and frequently direct posters there to Bimmerpost here, which has much more activity. But in this case, Bimmerfest has an active BMW Diesel forum, which the OP might find useful to search out knowledge on the 335d.

Thanks Llarry, Ill go take a look over there and see about signing up. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0