New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think some of the worst exhaust over-run offenders are Golf GTI/R and Focus/Fiesta ST owners. There's a Focus ST owner that has an over-run tune that literally sounds like gunshots and it's f-ing loud......and ridiculous.

I'm 49 and find some over-run tunes to be decent, but most suck. I actually love the stock over-run tune on my M235 teamed with the MP exhaust and HJS catted downpipe. It's smooth and just the right amount of pop in terms of volume and quality. Most over-run tunes, OEM and aftermarket, sound like popcorn, timing break-up, and completely unnatural.

I'm not much of a fan of the exhaust "burps" many performance automatics employ on shifts as well. Sounds silly.
      05-22-2023, 05:16 PM   #24
PcarFan
Baned
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Just the other day, someone driving a g80 M3 insisted on passing me, and proceeded to let rip several farts
Actually the M3s bother me now
It used to be a grown up classy car
Not it's turned into a ricer for teenagers
Can't see how that's a useful demographic to target with a 90k car
All the M3s that I see with backfiring exhausts, the drivers look like they are in their 20`s or early 30`s. I guess this is the new fad
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:28 PM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Don't get me started on Harley's
Despise Harley drivers who need to rev non stop at every damn traffic light.
Wearing their black leather jacket
Look me, I'm cool and macho

Yeah dude, You're not cool
You're dealing with a receding hairline and big beer gut
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I'm not a fan of the fart cans on 4 bangers, super burbles, etc either - but I chalk it up to just getting old. I'm sure my neighbors hated my 69 Dodge Charger with turbo turndowns when I was 16 too - such is life.

I've never liked "loud" exhaust anyway. A nice rumble at idle, throaty at WOT - yes. Loud for the sake of loud - no.

Even the Harley riders who have to constantly crack their throttle to "impress" everyone at every stoplight drives me insane. Sounds like shit to me. "Yes - we are ALL impressed with the motorcycle that you paid more than a car for that can't outrun a $750 used 250 Ninja......"

I'll always fight for your right to own it - but does not mean I have to like it. LOL

#GetOffMyGrass
Hey now, I resemble those remarks. Except I don’t drink beer

Revving at lights by me is usually to make sure soccer mom stops before running me over. Loud pipes save lives
      05-23-2023, 05:55 AM   #26
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 230i

I was in traffic yesterday and there was some small Chevrolet with the fart can exhaust. It sounded terrible, I can't imagine being inside that car.

When he would downshift off throttle it sound like a shotgun blast.

As a car enthusiast, I enjoy the sound of many different types of engines, but this was just awful.
Appreciate 1
PcarFan932.00
      05-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #27
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Speaking of farting, the thing I dislike most about my M2 is the long fart noise on throttle lift within gear, but I'm told it can't be tuned out, which makes me quite unhappy.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 07:53 AM   #28
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

My 2021 M340i is one of the quiet ones that was made after BMW went to an exhaust tone with fewer pops and burbles. However, there are messages on this forum at least once a week where someone wants to know how they can get the pops and burbles of newer cars back to the 2019-2020 level. That extra noise is very popular, and is apparently viewed as the sound of performance. YMMV

I also have a ‘75 truck with a Chevy 350 V8, with full duals and balance pipe, no cats, and Magnaflow mufflers. I find its exhaust tone and engine to be exactly what I like - sounds powerful, but has no obnoxious tones at all. It’s also carbureted, so no big pops and burbles when you drop off on the throttle.

It has a low pitched, strong tone up to about 3k rpm, and then if you floor the pedal it increases to an exhaust “roar” that sounds great. I find myself passing cars on the highway just to have an excuse to floor the throttle and listen to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:29 PM   #29
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I tuned that snap crackle pop shit out. Yikes
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:30 PM   #30
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
My 2021 M340i is one of the quiet ones that was made after BMW went to an exhaust tone with fewer pops and burbles. However, there are messages on this forum at least once a week where someone wants to know how they can get the pops and burbles of newer cars back to the 2019-2020 level. That extra noise is very popular, and is apparently viewed as the sound of performance. YMMV

I also have a ‘75 truck with a Chevy 350 V8, with full duals and balance pipe, no cats, and Magnaflow mufflers. I find its exhaust tone and engine to be exactly what I like - sounds powerful, but has no obnoxious tones at all. It’s also carbureted, so no big pops and burbles when you drop off on the throttle.

It has a low pitched, strong tone up to about 3k rpm, and then if you floor the pedal it increases to an exhaust “roar” that sounds great. I find myself passing cars on the highway just to have an excuse to floor the throttle and listen to the engine.
My grandmother's old Ford Pinto used to make great "performance" noises
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-23-2023, 08:40 PM   #31
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
04 Mini Cooper JCW 1.6 Supercharged had it from the factory. It was pretty nice but subtle compared to the stupid tunes they have now.
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 04:47 AM   #32
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I think 99% of people who run one of those tunes get over it after a week or 2. At some point a friend or neighbor gives them a look of disappointment that makes them 2nd guess the fart noises they thought were super fun a week before. I may or may not know from experience .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 06:04 AM   #33
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Toyota rally cars of the late nineties driven by the likes of Carlos Sainz just had a 'bang' on the throttle overrun instead of the snap-crackle-pop.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 08:23 AM   #34
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Toyota rally cars of the late nineties driven by the likes of Carlos Sainz just had a 'bang' on the throttle overrun instead of the snap-crackle-pop.
Probably from a momentary rich condition.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 08:15 PM   #35
PcarFan
Baned
Rep

Drives: BMW

I saw a "Gorgeous" orange Lamborghini today with a little fart exhaust, and it sounded amazing
For some reason those exhausts sound a lot better on Lambo`s, Ferrari`s and other exotics than M3`s, M4`s, AMG c63`s, etc.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 08:51 PM   #36
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep

Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

Quote:
when did all these snaps, crackles, pops etc become so popular with cars?
i remember growing up cars, even supercars, didn't make these stupid sounds all the time.
ferraris porsches lambos etc
they had great sounding exhausts, but no farting was included

is this to please the fast and furious (and tasteless) crowd?
i exepct that kind of crap on civic type Rs and GTis etc
but no proper drivers cars (driven by peope over the age of 18)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7SL4ioIjMi4
I exactly know the time period 2017. back then I had a F30 335i and it was around the time f80s were popping. I was also looking at youtube and ive seen a couple e46 m3's with crazy backfire tunes by Rktunes. Back then Jordan mostly did e36 and e46 chassis tunes. This was when the whole crackling burbling was lowkey.

When i saw the video i was wondering if he could do the same with turbo charged cars. I asked and he sort of delivered but it wasn't the "Bang" i was looking for. Then Dme tuning in NJ came out, they released tunes for f80's. The first time I saw a dme tune in person was at a car meet and his backfire was so loud u can feel it in ur chest. After the f80's started doing burble tunes. e9x m3's started getting burble/flame tunes mainly from gintani and rktunes.

After time passed and more people got exposed to burble backfire tunes everyone started to get them done on their cars. Especally 2015-2018 era being the peak of Ig and facebook + car meets, everyone knew about burble tune.

Jordan from rktunes also started to do Youtube, and because of the burble tune, he got big in the car scene. Other youtubers especially adamlz featured him on youtube and then tjhunt featured him as well at some point.

Mhd was focusing mainly on n54 back then, so BM3 was everyone's go to. They started releasing adjustable burble settings first and now mhd branched out to other chassis and engine platforms to compete against bm3.

Then u have 2018-2019 when people non stop rev at car meets to show off their burble tunes + flame tunes. Flame tunes started getting popular after a bunch of gtr's started shooting flames. Then jordan from rktunes offered the same flame/gunshot tunes.

i think 2020- 2022 was when takeovers started to happen.

In summary the burble tune started from the F30/f80

because of burbles car meets today get shut down so fast. Before 2015 meets didnt get shut down as fast as they do nowadays.
      05-25-2023, 06:59 AM   #37
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep

Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

cheap flash tune and those kids with ''paddles'' on automatic transmission.

Those are the worst, since often its 6 to 8 speed, and always playing with it to makes pops. Most of them are not even car enthusiast.

Get a real car or STFU.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #38
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

This type of thing is never going to end though, so there isn't any reason to be bothered by it. If it's not exhaust artifacts it's huge spoilers or broken camber or [pick your poison]. I guess it could be worse. Maybe.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 08:56 PM   #39
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Funny, I was playing with a 991 Turbo S tonight and his tune let out some farts and backfires, flames included.

I could see the flames, why?

Because he was leaving me in the dust and his tailpipes were in plain view!
Appreciate 0