New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

View Poll Results: Which team is more of a failure in the playoffs?
Dallas Cowboys 11 47.83%
Toronto Maple Leafs 7 30.43%
Other (explain why) 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

01-15-2024, 04:16 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Which is the more under-achieving sports franchise?

With the recent monumental choke of Dem Cowboys (sorry TXSTYLE ) , it got me thinking of the above, because as a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, I automatically recognized the crazy similarities between the 2 teams despite them being in different sports, i.e.:
.had lots of past success
.HUGE fanbases, to the point that they are often referred to as 'America's Team' and 'Canada's Team' jokingly or not
.crazy amount of (irrational) haters
.some annoying, stereotypical fans always saying "THIS IS THE YEAR!!!!!" and start acting arrogant, etc (btw real fans are way more realistic and good ppl haha) until the playoff loss and the tables turn w them getting their Xs handed to them by other teams' fans lmao
.manage to be 'one-and-done' for what seems like an eternity

So...which team is more of an underachiever? In the Leafs' defence, I would say that in many of their 'failures', they weren't really the favorite. Case-in-point, the crazy 4-1 choke vs those damn Bruins in 2013, they were the big underdogs but managed to take Boston to a G7 and have a late lead, so pffft, whoopie-doo, the Bruins finally did what they were supposed to do w/i 6 games or less; *Boston* were the ones who should be embarrassed for almost choking to an upstart. That one against Columbus as a toss-up, that one against the Capitals they should lose. I can't really remember the others haha, but anyway, all I gotta say is (was it last year?), the moment I saw Dak being a multi-millionaire and all wearing that nasty, loose-fitting suit giving his playoff postgame concession speech, that did it for me, no way he's gonna take that team further. Also, McCarthy....that guy is like that other SUPER-overrated coach from the NBA, Doc Rivers (yes, I'm still miffed about Kawhi being STUPID saying he wanted to go to a coach w a championship win under his belt...duh, already got one right there in Toronto; obviously, the rest is history, Clips got OWNED, another choke job by Rivers and the Raps fought like hell and almost made it even w/o Leonard, and it would've been a repeat pretty much if he stayed. Bad move #2). Man, anyone could've won w those stacked teams and the fact they each only won one is pathetic and evidence enough. In short, imho, the Cowboys were more highly-touted than the Leafs, so my vote would go to Dallas.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 01-15-2024 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: changed 'loser-ish' to 'under-achieving'
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 05:24 PM   #2
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

any team with 5 superbowl rings, even if they were 30 years ago, doesnt belong in this convo when there are teams like the Lions and Browns still in the league.

Now, most underachieving franchise? sure, the Cowboys.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615230.50
M3WC3645.00
      01-15-2024, 06:05 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
any team with 5 superbowl rings, even if they were 30 years ago, doesnt belong in this convo when there are teams like the Lions and Browns still in the league.

Now, most underachieving franchise? sure, the Cowboys.
Ya, I should've used that word instead (edit: done!). Present failures don't negate past glories.

(This is directed to all those Leafs haters saying "1967", get an original thought man lol.)
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #4
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

100% biased take since this is my home team: The Minnesota Vikings are one of the most under-performing sports franchises. I believe they are in the top 5 for the most wins of any NFL team, but they also are 0 and 4 in the superbowl (with the last SB appearance being in the 70's). Since I started watching them they have been to 4 NFC championship games: two of which they were blown out, and the other two they lost in a heartbreaking way. And mark my words, with the other NFC north teams on the upswing and getting better the Vikings will stay around .500 for the next 2 to 3 years resulting in another coach and GM change. On top of that Justin Jefferson will want out in a couple years to go to a contending team. I'm 43 and I am already concerned they will never win a superbowl in my lifetime.
      01-25-2024, 04:22 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
100% biased take since this is my home team: The Minnesota Vikings are one of the most under-performing sports franchises. I believe they are in the top 5 for the most wins of any NFL team, but they also are 0 and 4 in the superbowl (with the last SB appearance being in the 70's). Since I started watching them they have been to 4 NFC championship games: two of which they were blown out, and the other two they lost in a heartbreaking way. And mark my words, with the other NFC north teams on the upswing and getting better the Vikings will stay around .500 for the next 2 to 3 years resulting in another coach and GM change. On top of that Justin Jefferson will want out in a couple years to go to a contending team. I'm 43 and I am already concerned they will never win a superbowl in my lifetime.
I'm not familiar w the Vikes but the Bills' gotta be up (down?) there too. Man...
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615230.50
JMcLellan2042.00
      01-25-2024, 05:01 PM   #6
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Every NFL team that hasn't won a single Superbowl. 38% of the league. Ironic part is fans of these complete failure franchises talk sh*t about other franchises.

Bills by far...they continue to fumble opportunities.

When does Josh Allen start getting the Dak treatment?

Last edited by M3WC; 01-25-2024 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2024, 11:15 AM   #7
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Every NFL team that hasn't won a single Superbowl. 38% of the league. Ironic part is fans of these complete failure franchises talk sh*t about other franchises.

Bills by far...they continue to fumble opportunities.

When does Josh Allen start getting the Dak treatment?
only if he ends up in Dallas. It's reserved for Cowboys QBs only.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615230.50
      01-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Josh seems to have toned it down but he's gotta stop playing hero ball and just make the (easier) yardage plays. TB gave him a lecturing/advice a while back, guy wouldn't listen.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 04:57 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
The leafs. Free Austin Matthews! Send him to LA so he can shine.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 05:03 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
The leafs. Free Austin Matthews! Send him to LA so he can shine.
Argh, I used to like you. Now, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:32 PM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
All hope for the Cowboys is lost until Jerry Jones kicks the bucket.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-07-2024, 09:47 AM   #12
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Answer is 100% the Leafs.

Just alone of how long ago 1967 was and there were only 4 teams in the division then, but lets look at the fact they have never won a third round in their entire 106yr existence. Granted - half of that didn't have a 3rd round...but still.

Cleveland Browns have the Cowboys beat by far. They haven't even won the division since the fall of the soviet union.