New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

11-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

RTX 4090 12V power socket failure reproduced.

For those tracking the reported failures of the 12V high power socket failures, Gamers Nexus just put out a video where they were able to reproduce the failure. They also sent off the failed cables out to a lab for a full failure analysis. What they put together is the best and most complete analysis of this issue to date.

The TLDR for those that don't want to go through the entire video or don't want to be bothered to jump to the end of the video. It's a combo of user error and potentially manufacturing. The user error part are the following: not fully seating the connector into the GPU power socket, constant removal and re-installation of the connector, debris from the user doing the removal and re-installation of the cable, and over straining of the cable. The manufacturing contribution is possible foreign debris in the connector. They were clear that it doesn't matter which cable type you use as one isn't better than another. They were able to get failures on all of the different ones including the ones being recommended as the better ones.

Last edited by zx10guy; 11-16-2022 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I have to question how someone gets away with not overstraining the cable, especially with how large the GPU is and trying to fit everything in a case. My cable came to me with 3-4 180 degree bends to fit it in the packaging, and its so long that theres no way to route it without having to keep it bent so it fits in the case.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
The super over-generalized summary of Steve's video is the cause is user error (mostly).
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I have to question how someone gets away with not overstraining the cable, especially with how large the GPU is and trying to fit everything in a case. My cable came to me with 3-4 180 degree bends to fit it in the packaging, and its so long that theres no way to route it without having to keep it bent so it fits in the case.
There are options if that's the concern. I don't remember the company Steve was talking about in his various videos on this but this company is going to produce these cables with a right angle connector which will pretty much eliminate the straining issue. The other option is just getting a bigger case to put your components in. While I have the previous gen RTX 3090 Ti, it does use the same connector as the 40 series. The case I have is a bit larger than the "standard" case size. While there is a bend that occurs when I put the side panel on, it's not too extreme.

It's too bad EVGA got out of the GPU business. The pre production samples Steve and Jay got showed that EVGA made the proactive decision to move the 12V connector to the rear of the card opposite the external video ports. I don't recall any of the other GPU manufacturers doing this.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Another follow up:

Nvidia releases an official statement on the melting 12V high power connector and confirms user error is the predominant cause. What this means is to ensure you have the power cable fully seated into the socket. Nvidia also confirms they will do RMAs on any melted GPUs regardless of power cables used and if user error is involved.

Steve also goes over tips on ensuring you have the power cable fully seated into the GPU.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #6
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Because the plug is standardized from PSU to PSU, they can't improve it. So you're stuck with the flimsy "locking" mechanism. Just have to make sure there is no tension on the pins it looks like.
Appreciate 0