New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #111
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Alexa
Netflix or any other streaming service for tv

Re: the pool, it's a piece of cake. I haven't ever lived in a home in AZ without one. I buy a big bucket of chlorine about once a year. I have to add it once a month in the winter, and maybe once every 5 days in the summer to my floating dispenser. Variable speed pump is super efficient, and the MX-8 does a pretty decent job of cleaning the bottom and up the sides. Easy peasy, and much needed here. It is sitting at 79 degrees this morning, almost warm enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #112
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I saw mention of "smart" things, but for me I'd never buy a refrigerator with Wi-Fi or a camera to tell me what I need to buy. In my mind, this is just silly. The same for most appliances. I don't need to run my BBQ or my microwave with an app on my phone. I do have a smart thermostat, which comes in handy when traveling when you forget to set the thermostat properly before you go or to get the house comfortable before you return from a trip.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614882.00
      05-02-2023, 12:47 PM   #113
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

A Roomba, if I'm too lazy to run a vacuum or push a broom then just put me in an assisted living facility.
      05-02-2023, 01:04 PM   #114
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I saw mention of "smart" things, but for me I'd never buy a refrigerator with Wi-Fi or a camera to tell me what I need to buy. In my mind, this is just silly. The same for most appliances. I don't need to run my BBQ or my microwave with an app on my phone. I do have a smart thermostat, which comes in handy when traveling when you forget to set the thermostat properly before you go or to get the house comfortable before you return from a trip.
Love my wifi pellet smoker. Can just put shit in and go about my day while monitoring it on my phone. If it's done I can turn it off or raise the temp if it's taking too long and want to speed it up. It's awesome. Only the smoker portion has wifi, the grill part... not really sure how wifi would work on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #115
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Ya, I'm very similar to your way of thinking. Some of those 'smart' things are useful, but a lot is that extra fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
A Roomba, if I'm too lazy to run a vacuum or push a broom then just put me in an assisted living facility.
No, cuz I hate doing the floors, let me have that!

You really like cleaning the floors when some robot can do it for you? Cmon!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #116
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx guys, it's a shame there's some corruption going on, another potential power source affected by greed. Pretty sad considering that the sun's power is free and those in power still figured out a way to screw the common person.
I'm starting to see solar panel cleaning advertisements in our area now - Fancy machines that crawl across the panels
with whirling brushes. So, there's another potential added cost, not to mention someone climbing on your roof again.

As a wise old friend mentioned to me many years ago: "When you see something a little odd, follow the dollar."

No thanks.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 07:55 PM   #117
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Don't forget hail damage insurance on those solar panels.....
3.0L8902.00
      05-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #118
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I've read many articles saying that this kills a home's resale value, since the power purchase obligations supposedly transfer to the new owner.
Going thru this now selling one of my dad's properties in Bakersfield. Had to figure out that it was a sub to Tesla I had to get in contact with, then they had a special department for transfer, then title company had to . . . . I should be done with this fiasco next Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I'm starting to see solar panel cleaning advertisements in our area now - Fancy machines that crawl across the panels
with whirling brushes. So, there's another potential added cost, not to mention someone climbing on your roof again.
They were just here at work, cleaning our panels. Long pole like for concrete, with water and electricity connected to the brush. They brought a high-lift, nobody got on the roof.
      05-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #119
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 M5

Solar panels have been a good deal for me. $10K install (after tax credit) and I’ve saved ~$2K/yr (or more with power prices always rising). Been over five years now so they’ve paid for themselves and should last another 20yrs. Of course “your mileage may vary” as they say.
Appreciate 0