New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #23
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
There had been some discussion around it here - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1742346

But it's actually due to how they designed Digital Key initially.

Digital Key Classic was the first iteration, or DK 1.0 - This was for the 2019 to 2020 MY SP18 cars like the G20 and G05. It supported a different protocol to work, and only supported Android and had a subscription-based model where the keys are only valid for a year at a time.

Then they had phased out DK 1.0 in favour of Digital Key, or DK 1.5. This allowed assigning a Main key, as well as it having no expiry date. They initially supported only iOS 13.6 and newer but slowly rolled out to Android.

This ended up being a backend issue where it depended on the build date of the car and the software inconjunction to determine if the car is DK 1.0 or 1.5.

It does puzzle a lot of us why they never changed the backend of vehicles with DK 1.0 to 1.5, since mainly an issue on the ConnectedDrive server side of allowing it or not. But likely it was due to a subscription agreement for the Android devices on DK 1.0 that they didn't force a change.
Very informative!

So are all F series vehicles excluded? I have a 2022 X2…

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 07:13 PM   #24
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Never had an issue with Digital Key on my S21 since picking up my G80. Was sad to hear in this thread that the 3 series won't get Digital Key plus because of hardware restrictions. Guess I'll go back to my humble key fob

Thanks Tim@codemybimmer for clarifying things
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #25
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I well aware of the walk to and away feature that I deactivate on my cars I wanted to know if the normal access comfort of putting your hand inside the handle works with the phone key
Can change in the settings if you want to have old school.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:37 AM   #26
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: i7 M70, SL63

i went to play with some 740d today and paired my Samsung S22 ultra

it SEEMS that DK+ is working, it confirms UWB and states DK+
(i could not test the functions as the car has nearly no options)

on the website in switzerland it's still apple only and that's the feedback i got verbally from the "experience center"... but, it seems to work!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:26 AM   #27
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

My new M2 apparently comes with digital key. I haven't set it up yet.

I'm trying to think of a reason why I would? Just to not carry a key?

Is it reliable? Dependent on internet connection?
      05-14-2023, 03:32 AM   #28
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a reason why I would? Just to not carry a key?
see some reasons i thought about here (i don't have my car yet, not even ordered as it's not available yet...):

well, with the DK/DK+ you have several features that are more or less usefull...

very useful for me:
- start AC

useful:
unlock door/open trunk (like: i got your stuff, it's in the trunk, go grab it - without handing the key or be on site)
- lights (parked somewhere with no street lighting)

not useful...
honk (well, maybe you want to piss of someone: useful...)

what COULD be usefull - just thinking about further use cases:
- remote 360 cam (im a travelling salesman and sometimes it's good to know that there is still some parking spot available - so if i'm early i can check and confirm to the colleague that there is one available

apart from that you get all major information abou the car like fuel/charge state, tire pressure, maintenance needed...

you can send an address you found in google to your car through the app (options needed for that of course...)

you can book/active/buy services like seat heating through the app

and yes: maybe i don't want to carry the key
tbh: i wish i could open the door at home with the phone (planned, but i'm busy) (and with mechanical backup of course). if i take the train and go somewhere outdoor, to some exhibition, whatever, why take the key with? i prefer carrying a decent knife and some EDC tools than two keys i know i don't need for sure. trees don't need keys (yet )

on the other hand i also don't have a classic wallet i carry with me... all my stuff is in the car, i just grab what i need when leaving it. (yes, i can do that in my country and i don't park it in shady places, it's a risk i'm taking). don't take everything i write here too serious, this is just me - i'm weird for some things...

Quote:
Is it reliable? Dependent on internet connection?
reliable? hm... considering the fragility of a phone compared to the key: no - also battery might be an issue even if they mention some backup scenario. if you take this out of the equation: yes, you can open the car by UWB/BLE (not sure which is used) by approaching - or through "the internet" - then both devices need internet

internet:
for the remote stuff: yes - the car AND the phone
for remote parking where you have to be like <6m from the car: not sure, probably not
for lock/unlock standing at the door: no

also: for some features you will need to have the car equipped with some BMW features (that might or might not be available for 2 series like remote opening of the doors in the i7)

hope that helps!

question: what phone do you have?
some phones don't work at all, some only DK and a frew ones DK+
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7405.50
      05-14-2023, 09:04 PM   #29
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

I have a pixel 7. I don't see myself bothering with the digital key. The app is fine in and of itself, I just don't see giving up a physical key. That's just me though.
      05-20-2023, 09:47 AM   #30
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEGRITY View Post
Pretty wierd. My Flip 4 and my wife's Fold 4 do not support the standard digital key (samsung wallet doesnt). But, it now supports Digital Key Plus! Stupid S**t is what this is.
Edit: after the recent android update, Digital keys can be added to Samsung Wallet (Flip and Fold 4) Finally!
Appreciate 0