New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Key West

Since moving to Florid 7 years ago I have wanted to take the drop top and drive to the Keys, about 7-8 hours total trip.
I have this grand vision that driving across the Keys will be some magical experience. ANYWAY, my wife doesn't want to sit in sport seats for all that time so I conceded to take the Key West Express.

Any properties you guys really like? I don't want to stay on Duval, I like to sleep by 10-11 at the latest these days.
Honestly, don't have any agenda or even reason to go except to cross it off my bucket list and say been there, done that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
The last time I went to Key West, I stayed at the Ocean Key House at the foot of Duval Street. It was the best of both worlds. You're right there on Duval but yet away from the craziness. They have great rooms, suites, a pool and bar right on the water.

I just checked their website though and it says the oceanfront rooms, suites and pool will be closed from August to November for renovations. Not sure when you're looking to go.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 08-26-2022 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 3
Tommy-G4467.00
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
      08-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
We always stay at the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina. It's at the end of Duval, next to the best restaurant on the island and is really the only hotel on the whole island that has a proper beach. It's about a 30min walk or 10min pedi-cab ride down to Mallory Square.

Another great place we enjoy, which is right on Duval is "La-Di-Da" - just make sure you are open minded, as I believe at least one of the pools is clothing optional and it's a pretty liberal minded atmosphere as it comes to relationships.

https://casamarinaresort.com/

http://lateda.com/
      08-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Corvette Z06

Kanye West > Key West
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

The Southernmost Resort is our go to whenever we go. It's right off of Duval on the south (quiet) end.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      08-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

I wrote this up for a co-worker a few weeks back.....just some tips from someone who has been going down there my whole life. Enjoy! The keys are unlike any other place in America.

There are tons of boat charters down there and we’ve been on a number of them, but these two have been on the repeat list for us.
- Fury Cat – they do a variety of charter types, from half day, full day, snorkel, scuba, kayak, etc. They have a sunset catamaran tour with a live band and all you can drink which is a lot of fun. www.furycat.com
- Danger Charters – Pricey, but their sunset cruise is the best in Key West. They take you out on small, shallow draft sailboats and can go places some of the larger ships can’t. They also do a great eco-tour (both full and half day, I think) where they can get into the back country mangroves.

Bars/restaurants – there are a TON of places to eat and drink down there. You’ll find most of the chain restaurants along Duval. Some of the fun bars are along Duval as well.
- The Conch Shack: This is right on Duval next to the Hog’s Breath Saloon. It’s a walk up/carry out place but they have the BEST conch fritters on the island. They also do a good lobster roll, but the fritters are worth a visit.
- Garbo’s Grill: My absolute favorite place to eat down there. It’s casual and a perfect lunch spot. Their grilled fish tacos are amazing.
- Blue Heaven: Great atmosphere for breakfast/brunch. They have a large back patio area that has live music most of the time during the day. Great bloody mary here.
- Latitudes: This is the fanciest/nicest restaurant in Key West. The thing is, it’s actually not on Key West but on an island called Sunset Key which is to the north and west of Key West, although, it’s a 3 minute ferry ride across the water. You’ll need reservations and on short notice I’m not sure what they have open but if you want great food, great views (overlooks the ocean) this is probably the best spot to do it. Very romantic as Anna has pointed out before.
- Green Parrot Bar: I’ve never eaten here, but its my favorite bar to go to for the atmosphere. Lots of live music, it’s off of Duval (aka, not packed with tourists) and the drinks are solid.
- Dante’s Key West Pool Bar: Another good spot for day drinking by a pool. Food is fine but we go there for the drinks and atmosphere.
- Southernmost Beach Café: Good breakfast spot right on the southernmost beach. It’s on the quiet side of Duval and close to the famous Southernmost Buoy.
- Cuban Coffee Queen: Best place for hangover cup of coffee and something to eat. Great for lunch, too.
- Lagerheads Beach Bar: This is on the north end of the island, and is kind of hidden by a parking lot but it’s a nice, quiet beach between two of the larger properties. It also has a walk up bar which is nice.
- First Flight Island Restaurant & Brewery: This is a cool restaurant located in an old PanAm booking office. Great outdoor patio under big banyon trees, they brew their own beer and the food is a solid step up on bar food that you may get at a typical brewery.
- Fausto’s: This is a grocery store about two blocks off of Duval. It’s good for grabbing whatever you may have forgotten at home lol. Also a Walgreens on Duval, but Fausto’s has a lot more options beyond what walgreens does.
Appreciate 5
Tommy-G4467.00
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
nerdogray1274.00
Buug95916842.50
tgrundke312.50
      08-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
The last time I went to Key West, I stayed at the Ocean Key House at the foot of Duval Street. It was the best of both worlds. You're right there on Duval but yet away from the craziness. They have great rooms, suites, a pool and bar right on the water.

I just checked their website though and it says the oceanfront rooms, suites and pool will be closed from August to November for renovations. Not sure when you're looking to go.
September of course, or even October if this heat doesn't come down a few notches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
We always stay at the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina. It's at the end of Duval, next to the best restaurant on the island and is really the only hotel on the whole island that has a proper beach. It's about a 30min walk or 10min pedi-cab ride down to Mallory Square.

Another great place we enjoy, which is right on Duval is "La-Di-Da" - just make sure you are open minded, as I believe at least one of the pools is clothing optional and it's a pretty liberal minded atmosphere as it comes to relationships.

I'm very open minded and I have heard the stories of Fantasy Fest, and the Garden of Eden bar etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Kanye West > Key West
I used to dislike him, however I do think he is a marketing genius. He really can put sleeves on dog poop and people will buy and wear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
The Southernmost Resort is our go to whenever we go. It's right off of Duval on the south (quiet) end.
This is on of my top picks so far
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

You either like the Keys, or you don’t. I’ve been a lot of times and find it particularly boring. A weekend every ten years is enough for me. The drive is excruciating, and unless you like to drink, it’s not overly enjoyable for sober people like me. I used to go fishing and diving there a lot, but once again, the drive down is what prevents me from having gone much in the past ten years.

This is just my opinion and don’t put too much weight on it. My tolerance for travel has dwindled in the past few years.
vreihen1614889.50
Tommy-G4467.00
nerdogray1274.00
RickFLM410880.50
      08-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I've always wanted to take the drive. I've been to Key West by boat, er, ship, but never via land.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      08-26-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
The drive is excruciating, and unless you like to drink, it’s not overly enjoyable for sober people like me. I used to go fishing and diving there a lot, but once again, the drive down is what prevents me from having gone much in the past ten years.
There's plenty of those same activities with a much shorter drive in the upper and central keys. I don't drink, and have always done my Key West visits as day trips from Fort Lauderdale. Ernest Hemingway is seriously over-rated.....
DocL1922.50
      08-26-2022, 02:21 PM   #11
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
There's plenty of those same activities with a much shorter drive in the upper and central keys. I don't drink, and have always done my Key West visits as day trips from Fort Lauderdale. Ernest Hemingway is seriously over-rated.....
Yep. Now I if I go I stop at Key Largo and call it a day.
vreihen1614889.50
      08-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #12
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
You either like the Keys, or you don’t. I’ve been a lot of times and find it particularly boring. A weekend every ten years is enough for me. The drive is excruciating, and unless you like to drink, it’s not overly enjoyable for sober people like me. I used to go fishing and diving there a lot, but once again, the drive down is what prevents me from having gone much in the past ten years.

This is just my opinion and don’t put too much weight on it. My tolerance for travel has dwindled in the past few years.
Took the family to the keys this past January. It was a 3 hour flight from Minneapolis to Miami. Then it took 7 hours from getting off the plane to getting to our condo......in Duck Key. Halfway between the start of the keys and Key West. That day made me question if I would ever travel again
DocL1922.50
      08-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #13
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post

Hey, welcome back. Haven't seen you post for quite a while.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #14
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Since moving to Florid 7 years ago I have wanted to take the drop top and drive to the Keys, about 7-8 hours total trip.
I have this grand vision that driving across the Keys will be some magical experience. ANYWAY, my wife doesn't want to sit in sport seats for all that time so I conceded to take the Key West Express.

Any properties you guys really like? I don't want to stay on Duval, I like to sleep by 10-11 at the latest these days.
Honestly, don't have any agenda or even reason to go except to cross it off my bucket list and say been there, done that.
Stayed at the Coco Plum Inn a few years back. Just a block from Duval Street. Fantasist breakfast, the owners were from Brooklyn, real characters. I'd recommend it. https://www.cocopluminn.com
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      08-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #15
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Aren't there no beaches in the Keys?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:42 AM   #16
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Kanye West > Key West
Adam West > Kanye West

“na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na” BM

Last edited by sygazelle; 08-27-2022 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
DocL1922.50
NYG10571.50
      08-27-2022, 12:52 AM   #17
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Kanye West > Key West
Adam West > Kanye West

"na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na" BM
I'll take Honey West over Adam West any day.
      08-27-2022, 12:59 AM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I'll take Honey West over Adam West any day.
Wow, you must be an old guy.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42220.00
      08-27-2022, 12:59 AM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, you must be an old guy.
We know who is older, don't we.

That'd be you.
      08-27-2022, 01:25 AM   #20
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW M6

I too stayed at the Coco Plum Inn and would recommend it. It may be difficult to sleep late with all the roosters crowing, but it is close to Duval and for the money, it's hard to beat.

We had reservations at somewhere different every night and stumbled upon a restaurant called Kaya Island Eats. After eating there, we cancelled our reservations the last night and went back there. It is by far the best food on the island. It is not even close. It's not pricey or flashy, but the chef is as good as they come. Everything we had was incredible and the chicken wings were from another world. Be sure to try those.

After looking it up, it had a 4.9 star rating out of over 600 reviews. It is difficult for a restaurant to get a 4.9 but it was legit. Whoever didn't give them a 5 star rating must have been having a bad day. You won't be disappointed if you stop by for lunch or dinner.
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 01:45 AM   #21
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
We know who is older, don't we.

That'd be you.
That would be true, young man.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 02:03 AM   #22
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be true, young man.
Thank you. At 67, I'll take that as a compliment.

And I'll still take Honey West over Adam West's Batman.