New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Has anyone driven a Tesla Model 3 Performance?

Does anyone own or has anyone driven a Model 3 Performance? How has the experience been? How is the quality? Anything a prospective owner should know? My lease is up on Dec. 8th, so I'm starting to look into the next car and wanted some real life feedback that wasn't a journalist point of view on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

I had a test drive in an earlier build Model 3 Performance (and I've driven a regular Long and Short Range model) so I won't speak on build quality, but for the base price of $55k, its pretty damn good value for money. Maintenance should also in theory at least be pretty good since there are less moving parts, but of course YMMV.

Handling is very good with surprisingly natural and well weighted although numb steering. The rush of electric power of course is a nice thrill and awesome for passing in traffic or simply amusing/impressing friends. The seats are pretty comfy and the interior isn't all that bad. Whether you can handle the screen is personal preference but the tech is very intuitive, materials are soft and pretty standard for its class, and overall I'm sure you get use to the minimalist feel. Autopilot is awesome, no need to upgrade to the expensive FSD (full self-driving) in my opinion as the regular Autopilot does more than enough and can make traffic a breeze.

Range/Efficiency is also pretty good (at least my friends have said so) with 250+ miles easily approachable and superchargers making the entire process ever so simple in comparison to Electrify America who is still struggling. Obviously the quirks of a Tesla are well known such as build quality, tech, and Musk, but I won't go into that as its all personal preference. I also believe Tesla offers a 7 Day/1k Mile return period. Overall I think its an excellent daily driver, I could definitely see myself buying one in the future. There should also be a ton on Turo (and some rental services may have one) so that's a good way to experience it as well. The Model 3 has pretty much stolen the 3-Series thunder, all my BMW friends these days seem to be switching to Tesla and I can start seeing why. There are drawbacks, but they do things that are different in a good way.

Some links I thought were interesting: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...odel-3-survey/

A few owners in the F8X forums either switched or have both cars. I know its a little long (as most Tesla threads get) but I'm sure there's some good content in their.

M3/M4 vs. Tesla Model 3 Performance https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1511815
      08-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
W12x
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Been a Model 3 LR(not AWD Performance) owner since July 2018, and have driven a friend's M3P many times.

If you are used to Audi interior quality, it may take you some time to adjust to the Model 3's interior.

Charging, charging, charging. You definitely want to make sure your house/apartment can accommodate the charging equipment (using standard 110v will be a major PITA), but seeing you are in DMV area the range/charging should be much less of a concern than Texas lol

Quality between the Model 3 and M3P should be similar, I will start with the problems I ran into so far:
1. Just had the 12V battery replace under warranty last week, not sure why but it just went out, had similar things on Hondas before, and Tesla mobile service took care of it without having to go to service centers.
2. Rattles, nothing crazy, I have seen far worse on a G20 M340i.
3. The center control LCD may need restart from time to time, in the last two years I had to do it maybe 4 times or so. Usually to fix some of the software not working, once to fix the AC not blowing cold. Overall much better software quality than any BMW I have seen given all the things you can do.
4. Had to manually unlock the charging port maybe 3 times? Nothing major just the release getting stuck, pop the trunk, pull the cable, and that's it.
5. Try not to get hit. My car was hit by another driver and it was in a certified repair shop (Tesla's repair center doesn't do major collisions) for, 4 months? waiting on parts.

As for the performance/handling:

It's fast, and quick. I have driven some fast cars, like Z06, but the M3P is nearly as fast if not faster, and feels much quicker due to the instant power. Power is also much smoother than and gasoline car, you will love it.

Handling is good, more than enough for daily, but you if you track the M3P, it will reach the vehicle's handling limit sooner than E9x M3 or other serious sports cars on track (all in stock form, this is from my friend who owns the M3P, and he's a very experienced track driver)

Ride comfort is great in the Model 3, a bit worse in M3P, primarily due to the lower profile tire and potentially stiffer tires as well, but perfectly tolerable for the performance (and price) of the car.

Another thing is Tesla will keep on changing the price of the car throughout the year, some people I know hates it and think it devalues their car, but not an issue for me, this is different from traditional manufactures. Also rumor is there is a 100kwh battery testing in Model 3s.

If you can, get a referral code from a Tesla owner friend, that will give both of use some free supercharging miles.
      08-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

These threads have information from a number of owners of the vehicle:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...+3+Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
W12x
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Forgot to add, I don't have any major issues with paint quality on my vehicle (a small area that's not so great) but I have heard horror stories, and the fit and finish won't be BMW or Toyota quality, around the level as three American giants I would say.
      08-20-2020, 01:49 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I've only driven the long range and it was disappointing. I hear good things about the dual motors.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '22 G82 Base

I can definitely see the appeal of Teslas, especially after getting a ride in a model X.
The autopilot was simply amazing. More so than the brutal acceleration performance.
But as long as there are cars with ICE and MT, I will not be a customer.
I’m sure Tesla won’t have a problem selling their cars like hotcakes to 95%+ of market. It’ll only be serious gearheads like me who’s not intrigued by them.
Appreciate 3
      08-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

curious to try one. probably wont own one until they get seriously cheap. I sat in one and was immediately turned off from the car. it feels cheaper than an accord. And there are plenty of faster cars out there for 50-60k on the used market.

the main attraction I have to the tesla is that you can beat on it every day, don't have to warm it up, check fluids, or any of that nonsense. no moving parts = nothing to break. just floor it right out of your driveway.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
eluded3002.00
      08-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

They’re fun cars for sure. Great acceleration, and they handle nicely with better steering feel than the current 3 series which is sad...Quality? Interior sucks ass. UX design of the infotainment screen which pretty much is the center piece of the interior is garbage imho. Can’t get over the mismatching panels, and what I noticed to be shit weld quality on the sheet metal where visible which was a giant turn off. The only thing I really liked about the interior are the seats. Some people will say the interior is “minimalist.” The Polestar 2 has a minimalist interior, the model 3 is just cheap feeling overall and calling it minimalist is just a fanboi’s delusional way of saying it’s garbage. Also noticed the front light output at night to be poorly distributed, although very bright. Another indication to me of poor attention to detail. very random criticism here, just a stream of consciousness from what I remember most.....

The only saving grace was ironically, the driving experience. Loved how quick and agile it drives while remaining discreet about it. It’s what I imagine driving a powerful go cart on the streets to be like. If you’re looking to be a stop light warrior, youll be hard pressed to find a better car outside another EV
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Coincidentally, my favorite automotive journalist (and ex-BMW enthusiast) just posted a mini instagram review of the Model 3. BTW his instagram reviews are awesome and quite enjoyable to read. Anyways, Jason always tells it like it is, no BS, so to see his praise for the car really shows its excellence.

Here's the review for those without instagram.
"Verdict Tesla Model 3 Performance: all things considered, the best sedan in the world.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Tesla loaned me this DMP leading up to my Polestar 2 drive. Verdict coming shortly.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
There's a reason every ex-BMW M3 driver I know now drives a Tesla M3. It's the best M3 there is.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Perfect? No. But the good so dramatically outweighs the bad that this car is no-brainer for any logic-based human.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
The good: Tourette's-inducing acceleration. Quickest and most precise steering of any sedan in the world. Great ride, huge grip, great driving position, feels half its weight. Staggering efficiency. Simple and functional interior. Industry's best infotainment. Excellent headlights. Autopilot works well on the open road and recognizes bikers, cones, stop signs, traffic lights. SO COOL.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Overall experience is so far ahead of every other car: it has no key and no on/off button. Other example: lights switch on *as* you enter a tunnel, because it knows what a tunnel looks like — rather than having a dumb sensor say "oh wow now it's dark so I will turn on the lights." That kind of (artificial) intelligence makes every other car incomparable.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
The bad: I'm nitpicking, there's not much. Center touchscreen menu structure and UX is well-organized, but I still want a screen in front of me with speed, turn-signal indicators, and nav instructions. Suspension is underdamped; loses composure and heaves in an undignified manner as it nears cornering limits. This body shape really should be a hatchback. Drift mode doesn't get close to the predictability and natural responses of, say, Porsche Taycan. Great infotainment, but I still want CarPlay to interact with texts. Seats could be more supportive. AEB/FCW is occasionally hysterical. ⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
If you read a professional review that bashes the Model 3 bc of build quality, know that reviewer hasn't actually lived with the car. Because imperfect panel gaps don't interfere with the experience, and this car is without peers. (Until the Polestar 2.)⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
I forgive you if you want an Alfa Giulia QV for emotional reasons, but I won't be surprised when you buy a Model 3 instead.⁣⁣⁣"

08-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I've driven one and share many of the same comments above. I'll roll it up to a few bullet points to save you a novel:

Pros:
  • Unbelievable acceleration with little fanfare
  • Lots of interesting tech. Not my thing, but a lot of impressive thought went into the functionality
  • Almost idiot proof. The car will not allow you to spin out (could be a con too)

Cons:
  • Spartan interior. Forget Audi, it feels unfinished and dull
  • Lack of driving connection. It's not that the Tesla is "bad", but it's the most uninspiring driving experience past the acceleration game
  • The handling is very heavy, even though it's planted
  • The front of the car looks like a catfish

Just my own point-of-view. I think the Tesla M3P is a great performance car for non-car people. But it doesn't get me excited past the first few acceleration pulls. Most of the novelty tech stuff is a distraction and I find that I'm staring at the tablet more than the road. Then again, I'm old and like the rough, stinky 911 experience.
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
mystermykee
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post

Just my own point-of-view. I think the Tesla M3P is a great performance car for non-car people. But it doesn't get me excited past the first few acceleration pulls. Most of the novelty tech stuff is a distraction and I find that I'm staring at the tablet more than the road. Then again, I'm old and like the rough, stinky 911 experience.
THIS....regardless of age.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6034.50
      08-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #13
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

It's going to be a daily driver that I use to commute to and from the office in really. Never having to visit another gas station or have to take my car in for an oil change is just icing on the cake. I'm thinking of just having a separate car that gives you the goosebumps and the emotion. The interior does seem a little dull, but I think I'll be able to live with it for a daily.

If anyone else has any experience with it, keep them coming! Thank you all!
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
It's going to be a daily driver that I use to commute to and from the office in really. Never having to visit another gas station or have to take my car in for an oil change is just icing on the cake. I'm thinking of just having a separate car that gives you the goosebumps and the emotion. The interior does seem a little dull, but I think I'll be able to live with it for a daily.

Honestly you'd probably be better off getting the Long-Range Trim (or even Short-Range if fits your needs) and using the money you saved towards a fun weekend car.
      08-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

If that is your use case IMO it's the perfect car.

I have a long range dual motor not the performance, but it is plenty fast for me. Especially when launching from lower speeds that instant torque makes it feel ridiculously fast. The effects lessens the faster you are going. So on normal streets my model 3 feels faster than the C7, however once on the highway doing 80+ the C7 feels like it has a lot more to give.

Also keep in mind Tesla offers a software upgrade on the dual motor that takes it from like 4.5 to 3.9 or something like that 0-60. It's a bit rich at $2k but cheaper than a performance model and might be something worth doing a year or two down the road.

Mine is used so I can't say what may or may not have been fixed before I bought it, but the fit and finish is perfectly fine with me. Yes it has minor stuff like body gaps that may not be perfect but I would say the average person would not notice any of them. The interior is spartan and while it was a turn off for me at first... I kinda like it... even though I won't admit it to anyone.

It's just very different than what I'm use to and I like that. The materials are all nice quality, nothing IMO feel like a cheap econo car. Then you have the tech which I love, if you are not a techy guy then it's definitely not the car for you. One thing I did not know when I bought it.... a lot of stuff like music etc works off LTE. So you either have to pay Tesla like $10/mo to have their data plan or you can connect it's wifi to your phone or hotspot. Luckily I have a dedicated hotspot I use when we go on trips in the RV that I just keep in the car connected to usb. Has worked out great.

Lastly I think charging at home is a must. I use the standard 120v charger 99% of the time since I don't drive that much. Also keep in mind Tesla recommends not charging past 70-80% on a regular basis to help maintain the battery. I usually keep my long range at around 250 miles for daily use and on weekend if going on longer trip I may up it to 270-280. If you do have a long commute than using a bigger outlet would help. Standard 120v I get about 5mi/hour. I can also plug it into my 220v dryer plug which gets me around 24mi/hour and have really only used that maybe twice since I've had it.

Lastly it has one of the best sound systems I have heard in any car. I have the premium interior which is suppose to have more speakers, so I can't comment on standard, but from what I've read not much difference and standard sounds great also.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #16
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Honestly you'd probably be better off getting the Long-Range Trim (or even Short-Range if fits your needs) and using the money you saved towards a fun weekend car.
But...but...but...drift mode, and and the performance package with the bigger brakes and the carbon spoiler and and the stupid stupid acceleration off the line. My lease ends in Dec. but I think the Performance would be what I go for simply for drift mode and all the tidbits that rolled out with it. I think I'd option the track pack. It's a must have.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25054.00
      08-22-2020, 12:25 AM   #17
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I haven't driven the Performance model, but on paper seems like an ideal commuter car. Fast, good tech that relieves the stress of commuting, no gas, can just charge in your garage, etc. For your purposes I think it fits the bill.

My buddy got one a few months ago. There's build quality issues and panel misalignment, screen already went bust, and customer service gave him a really hard time when he got a flat tire. The Performance looks like any other Model 3 and you can't have a sunroof. Interior is no more luxurious than a Honda Accord. I just think the Model 3 is so common on our roads that it's lost its novelty. You don't stand out in any way.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 12:25 AM   #18
Luc@Speed&Tech
Captain
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 & E92 M3

Quote:
But...but...but...drift mode, and and the performance package with the bigger brakes and the carbon spoiler and and the stupid stupid acceleration off the line. My lease ends in Dec. but I think the Performance would be what I go for simply for drift mode and all the tidbits that rolled out with it. I think I'd option the track pack. It's a must have.
TRAITOR.

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 01:07 AM   #19
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I haven't driven the Performance model, but on paper seems like an ideal commuter car. Fast, good tech that relieves the stress of commuting, no gas, can just charge in your garage, etc. For your purposes I think it fits the bill.

My buddy got one a few months ago. There's build quality issues and panel misalignment, screen already went bust, and customer service gave him a really hard time when he got a flat tire. The Performance looks like any other Model 3 and you can't have a sunroof. Interior is no more luxurious than a Honda Accord. I just think the Model 3 is so common on our roads that it's lost its novelty. You don't stand out in any way.
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc@Speed&Tech View Post
TRAITOR.
Will you be my Tesla twin?
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #20
Luc@Speed&Tech
Captain
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 & E92 M3

Quote:
Good.

Will you be my Tesla twin?
If you're thinking about getting a fun weekend car in addition to a commuter, I highly recommend getting a Tesla as a daily. It's the perfect commuter car....Relaxing to drive (nearly effortless), little maintenance, gas savings, etc. Be prepared to deal with severe range anxiety when you first get one though. Also having a Tesla as your only car gets pretty boring pretty quick FYI....

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #21
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc@Speed&Tech View Post
If you're thinking about getting a fun weekend car in addition to a commuter, I highly recommend getting a Tesla as a daily. It's the perfect commuter car....Relaxing to drive (nearly effortless), little maintenance, gas savings, etc. Be prepared to deal with severe range anxiety when you first get one though. Also having a Tesla as your only car gets pretty boring pretty quick FYI....
That's where the GT3 RS or an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish comes in.

Possibly. Maybe.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:15 PM   #22
lonegun
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW X1 F48

I would compare the experience of dual motor model 3 to driving a Go Kart. You put your foot down, it just GO! Crazy torque without lag. You stop paying attention to the interior and the quality of the steering wheel and just tightening your neck muscles when you blow pass basically 90%+ of sports car on the road at street speed. It gives me headache every time from with micro whiplashes, but boy you know you want to be on that roller coaster. Yea, every gasoline cars kinda feel last gen now.
Appreciate 0