New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #23
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I use chase sapphire reserve. Similar but less yearly fees. A lot of my coworkers all use it as well. I have not done a deep dive into the various cards for years but when I did it 7-8 years ago the chase card came out on top for how much I wanted to spend on a CC vs what I got from it. Getting into various lounges and concierge service is nice.

It made sense to use it when I travelled a lot for work, every thing and wife and I spend goes on it to max out points and we pay it off monthly. After covid my work travel is 1/3 what it was before covid. Not traveling for basically 2 years and now the decline in travelling I am starting to wonder if it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #24
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
What are the benefits vs. a plain 'ol Chase Freedom?

A lot of the high priced cards seem to really be for people who travel and spend a ton.
I just checked the wallet, it's actually the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I don't travel for work anymore, and even when I did it wasn't that often.

It's 1% cash back on all purchases, then you get more for groceries/gas/etc. I'd have to look up the exact percentages for each category. But we basically put everything on the card we can, utilities, groceries, dog/cat food, gas, booze, going out, etc. So it's thousands per month.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

My PNC cash rewards Visa provides an across the board 1.75% cash back. I also get occasional promotions which give me discounts at various vendors. When I had the GoPro subscription which gives me heavy discounts on accessories for my GoPro, PNC gave me a 10% off coupon code which I was able to apply successfully on top of the already big discounts I got for being a GoPro subscriber.

I use my Citibank Costco Visa card for restaurants and gas as I get 3% cash back with that card.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I just checked the wallet, it's actually the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I don't travel for work anymore, and even when I did it wasn't that often.

It's 1% cash back on all purchases, then you get more for groceries/gas/etc. I'd have to look up the exact percentages for each category. But we basically put everything on the card we can, utilities, groceries, dog/cat food, gas, booze, going out, etc. So it's thousands per month.
Chase Freedom Unlimited is 5% on travel purchased through the rewards program, 3% on dining at restaurants, 3% on drugstores, 1.5% on everything else (in each case unlimited). No annual fee.
Torgus3781.50
      07-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #27
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

The points guy goes through most of these and can show based on what you do which is best. I agree that there isn’t a catch all that works for everyone. Most are based around travel, if you aren’t doing that often the. More basic cash back is probably way better.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #28
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80, F36, E90

I've been thinking about this lately as I do use Amex Platinum extensively. Previously the fee was $500ish and it felt justified. Now it's $695 and I had asked them to cancel. They offered 55,000 points to keep the card if I spend $4,000 in the next 3 months. Specific perks I use:

- Disney Plus subscription $19.99 x 12 = $240
- SAXX credit spending $50x2 = $100
- Uber credit $15 x 12 = $180
- Hotel credit = $200 (back on card)
- Airline credit = $200 (back on card) - baggage fee etc.
- Avis Preferred Plus - free upgrade (you can neg with the anyway)
- Amex hotel program - fine hotel and resorts offers free breakfast for 2 and 4pm checkout
- Amex lounges - Access to Centurion and Delta if travelling on Delta
- Hilton and Marriott Gold status

All in all this adds up to $920ish in what I would get back from them this year - at least for now.

I transfer my AMEX points to Aeroplan (Air Canada)
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #29
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Chase Freedom Unlimited is 5% on travel purchased through the rewards program, 3% on dining at restaurants, 3% on drugstores, 1.5% on everything else (in each case unlimited). No annual fee.
I may have to look into that. I haven't wanted to open another line of credit since the BRZ will be here soon. My Chase card already has enough credit line to buy a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #30
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
.....I shop at Saks and get 2 $50 statement credits there.....

I'm just messing with you here. Mostly, I'm just jealous that you shop at Saks being a JC Penney guy myself

I found this great shoe at Saks online. It was $1,350 a pair. If I understand you correctly, I could have gotten 2-$50 statement credits for a total of $100. If I applied that credit to those awesome shoes, it would knock the price down to $1,250 per pair. Now that's a bargain!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
RickFLM410957.50
      07-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #31
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

JC Penney? You're fancy! Ross and 6dollar Tshirt.com here. But WFH, I don't really need "nice" clothing. I talked to my boss the other day, he said he and his husband both donated all their slacks/button up/jackets to charity.

I may also have an ADIDAS addiction.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #32
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I'm just messing with you here. Mostly, I'm just jealous that you shop at Saks being a JC Penney guy myself

I found this great shoe at Saks online. It was $1,350 a pair. If I understand you correctly, I could have gotten 2-$50 statement credits for a total of $100. If I applied that credit to those awesome shoes, it would knock the price down to $1,250 per pair. Now that's a bargain!
I was thinking the same thing...you can't even get a t shirt at Sacks for $100.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #33
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G87 with a Stick

I have both plat AE and Chase Reserve.

Chase Reserve . hands down better if you use it for traveling. can not beat ultimate reward.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:55 PM   #34
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Corvette Z06

My personal platinum is pointless - I don't even know why I still pay for the membership but I prefer to use AMEX over anyone else regardless because they're the only ones who have your back in the event of a dispute or thieves by default.

Business platinum is worth it if your monthly business expenses are high and you like first class travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #35
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I have an H-D card, probably have enough credits for another leather jacket, maybe some chaps this time instead. I use it exclusively for on-line purchases. When my number gets compromised AGAIN, I simply tell them it wasn't me and they issue me a new number. With that in mind, I've been on safari in Africa, bought surfboards and camera lens in Hawaii, and bought a whole crate of surplus 7.62 from the US Government, all with my H-D card.

The other I have is my Citi debit card.
      07-26-2022, 01:55 AM   #36
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

I like things simple. I have one business card and one personal. Zero fees and max cash back I could find. Once a year or so I access the rewards and request a statement credit. Simple. I also don't like to keep track of whatever perks I might be eligible for with other cards and jump through the hoops to redeem them. I don't value the ability to have access to special lounges at the airport for drinks and peanuts, nor do I value any of the obscure extended warranty stuff, etc. It's really a personal decision as to the value to you of all the perk crap and the time you need to spend to track the perks and actually use them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:55 AM   #37
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
When I used to travel via air to 2 different cities a week or 4-6 segments Mon-Fri... the Platinum card was worth the $700. Just being in a separate lounge was worth it for me. Yeah, the food wasn't great, but snacks, soft drinks, a quiet space, and decent bathrooms were all I needed. And flight changes could be handled in the lounge instead of at the gate. Now that I hardly travel at all, we went to the Gold version and find the points still make it worthwhile when used toward hotel points. We do ALOT of track days a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:29 AM   #38
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I've had Amex Gold for so many decades I just can't remember. Their customer service is simply the best. I've avoided upgrading though they send me Platinum offers so frequently that anyone going through my recycling must think I'm rich! The Gold annual fee is easily recouped through discounts, points, and promotions I get in using Amex for everything I can, including paying all my bills. Whenever I have a memory lapse and buy something off Facebook that either never arrives or is so far from what was described, they reverse the charges with a single call—and make me feel good about it. I did find that their "extended warranty" doesn't apply to automotive parts so the combination of FCP Euro and Amex takes care of that. They show me how much I've earned in promos from the likes of Best Buy and I can pay-with-points on Amazon and for some items and save even more money. I don't like the annual fee but it's easy to remind myself that it's already paid for. I have Discover for when Amex isn't accepted, and a VISA debit when all else fails. I don't leave home without it!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #39
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW M2

You really need to evaluate the benefits, bonus categories, and your spend to determine if a rewards card is worth it.

We travel a lot, we also eat out a lot, and the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has earned us millions of points worth tens of thousands in free travel. Here's a simple example, the CSR earns 3 points on travel and restaurants, and booking travel through their portal gives you 50% more points. So every time I travel and dine out I effectively earn 4.5 points. Another plus, many hotels booked through Chase's portal are discounted 10 to 30%. That's tough to beat.

If you're not evaluating your cards objectively, get something with no fees.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
RickFLM410957.50
      07-26-2022, 03:24 PM   #40
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
When I used to travel via air to 2 different cities a week or 4-6 segments Mon-Fri... the Platinum card was worth the $700. Just being in a separate lounge was worth it for me. Yeah, the food wasn't great, but snacks, soft drinks, a quiet space, and decent bathrooms were all I needed. And flight changes could be handled in the lounge instead of at the gate. Now that I hardly travel at all, we went to the Gold version and find the points still make it worthwhile when used toward hotel points. We do ALOT of track days a year.
I'll never forget the first time I was in the AMEX lounge in Charlotte (last year)

I was thinking it was some super exclusive lounge. There was a line of people trying to get in and I realized that every joe schmo like me has a platinum card and it's all marketing.

We couldn't even eat the food it was so horrible.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #41
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Thanks but no thanks, I don't need any of this point hacking crap or 5% on gas this month then 3% on groceries next month... then if it's amex a bunch of place wont take it... aint no one got time to figure all that crap out.

Capital One Spark 2% Unlimited CASH MONEY on everything all the time. I think the fee is like $95/year. If you spend more than $5k a year you're making money. Visa so everyone takes it. Their site is great and lets you generate virtual numbers for use online. Done.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #42
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
When I was in my 20s I used to think it was important to impress the cashier with my credit card but I quickly realized paying 500-800 per year to allow a credit card to dictate what and when I buy something to strategically earn back 2000 per year just wasn't worth my time and efforts. Hard pass on this marketing gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:55 PM   #43
RothwellSF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: G80 FDG XDrive

I recommend citi double cash card (2% on everything). There's no better cashback card. I do think there's another 2% card now by wells fargo maybe? Or boa? Idk.

rewards, flight miles, blah blah always boils down to how much cash equivalent am I getting. So do the math, look at the rewards cost. Many of the rewards are more expensive then buying online. Like travel rewards via booking through miles or whatever. You end up paying like 10-15% more. So its a net loss. Literally no rewards cards are worth it besides cashback cards in my opinion. And I have done pretty extensive research. The brand specific cards, like amazon, costco ect. Are not really worth it to me for no reason other than I don't need to carry extra 2-3 cards to get an extra 100-200 back a year. That exchange is not worth it to me personally.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #44
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothwellSF View Post
I recommend citi double cash card (2% on everything). There's no better cashback card. I do think there's another 2% card now by wells fargo maybe? Or boa? Idk.

rewards, flight miles, blah blah always boils down to how much cash equivalent am I getting. So do the math, look at the rewards cost. Many of the rewards are more expensive then buying online. Like travel rewards via booking through miles or whatever. You end up paying like 10-15% more. So its a net loss. Literally no rewards cards are worth it besides cashback cards in my opinion. And I have done pretty extensive research. The brand specific cards, like amazon, costco ect. Are not really worth it to me for no reason other than I don't need to carry extra 2-3 cards to get an extra 100-200 back a year. That exchange is not worth it to me personally.
I have one of those citi cards but I haven’t used it much. They recently changed it on me from 2% cash back to Thank You points. Not sure how the Thank You points work - maybe they can be converted to cash back.