New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #1299
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
its been a long journey getting to this point.
when i purchase this property back in 12/2020 there was no grass.
i just need to figure a way to repair those areas .

i will try to water every other day for 45mins each zone.
schedule would be monday, wednesday, friday and sunday.
start around 8am

Watering should be done before the sun comes up or you start losing it to evaporation. Needs to start after midnight to keep disease at bay. Own an irrigation company and am a turf science grad. Hate seeing lawns being watered when the sun is up.

i appreciate the help!

worst section, like rough grass

t
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 07:10 AM   #1300
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
t
so how do i fix these patches?
so whats best time to water lawn?

even online its says its best to water lawn between 6am - 10am
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #1301
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:

start around 8am

i appreciate the help!

Those pix show a good depiction at a high level. Any chance you can get some close-ups? Although it can't be definitely diagnosed from the pics, it looks like you probably have a few things going on but at least some common cool season grass issues can be ruled out. (I'm assuming you're in NY.)

Do you know that you have complete coverage from you irrigation? Where are the sprinkler heads located that water along the street and driveway? I wonder if there is a coverage issue in the middle of the yard and along the street/driveway. For example, my sprinkler heads that waters along the street are along the setback line (~15ft) from curb) so they aren't damaged if the city does roadwork. The drawback to this is that there is no other zone that overlaps watering along the street so the area my curb is susceptible to underwatering, particularly since wind will effect the throw of water.

What do the dying (not the already dead) grass blades (front yard) look like? Color and any patterning on them can be clues.

I also wonder if along the driveway to the mailbox might be insect related but can quite tell from the pix. I'm always paranoid about sod webworms and I think I see some webworm damage there but...the die off there could just be a Rorschach test to me. When did the grass here die off? Likewise, does the dying grass have a root system left? It's a little early for webworm this year but the color of the dead grass looks like it's from this year.

For that horrible looking section...are there grass clippings there? I can't tell from the pic if you camera applied noise reduction to the picture or if there is a layer of something on top smothering the grass. There is quite a clump of dying, green clippings on the right of the picture against a foundation wall, though. Also, the way there is a dead streak coming from the high ground in the upper left of the pic that connects to the large, dead area is weird. Does anything drain to and collect there?

This section in particular looks to require reno over seeding but if there is pooling that is causing the grass issue, that needs to be taken care of.
      07-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #1302
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
so how do i fix these patches?
so whats best time to water lawn?

even online its says its best to water lawn between 6am - 10am
You can water earlier but it isn't black and white. The primary reason people say to not water too early (or late in the evening) is because of risk of fungus and lawn disease, especially if it is humid (and even worse when it is cool yet humid). Conversely, the issue of watering too late in the morning (or early evening/late afternoon) is evaporation of the water as opposed to it soaking into the ground.

The real take aways is that, depending on weather conditions on a given watering day where you live, you need to adjust accordingly. Not a scorching but overcast day? You can get away with watering a little later. Not scorching but sunny? Meh...water earlier. Scorching and sunny? Better be done watering early.
Water less frequent but deeper to encourage deep roots. As someone mentioned, watering more frequently but shallower (ie shorter duration) encourages shallow root development which leads to less robust grass.
      07-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #1303
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
t
depending on your climate, that is a good way to get fungus.

colder temps + dark = fungus

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 11:44 AM   #1304
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

start around 8am

i appreciate the help!

in your front yard, place a container in the center of the dead/dying spot in the center of your yard and turn your sprinklers on and see how much water it is getting. Along the edges, do the same but it almost looks like you may have insects there or potentially something running off the driveway causing the dead spots.

that spot next to the fence, is it a high traffic area? almost looks like a path from the house to the fence. Looks like there is maybe some fungus/disease on the edges of the dead spots as well that is spreading.

my recommendation is always to start with sprinkler coverage, then get soil tests done. take samples from the problem areas and send them in to one of the many soil testing companies. some will also test plants/grass to see if there is disease or something on them. From there, you have a pretty good path forward.

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      07-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #1305
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

There could be pests but watering schedule tells me there must be fungus / disease involved as well.
nyalpine907425.00
      07-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #1306
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i did find few mushrooms growing but they would die quickly.
maybe i should apply Scotts DiseaseEX, and do sprinkler test coverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #1307
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i did find few mushrooms growing but they would die quickly.
maybe i should apply Scotts DiseaseEX, and do sprinkler test coverage.
if mushrooms are growing, you are getting fungus on your lawn. you need to adjust your watering schedule so you arent overwatering during cool/dark times. give your entire lawn a good fungicide treatment.

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      07-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #1308
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
if mushrooms are growing, you are getting fungus on your lawn. you need to adjust your watering schedule so you arent overwatering during cool/dark times. give your entire lawn a good fungicide treatment.
i already change time of watering to 7:30am and Mon, Wed, Fri & Su
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #1309
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Hey Yard Freaks!

We are actively renovating our backyard - new walk way, shrubs, lights, pergola, sod etc….

My question is - we had new st augustine laid down on July 11th. It has rained a lot and a neighbor sprayed his companies bacteria product which makes the sod take root quicker and deeper.

When I pull on a few blades it's clearly rooting well… Right now the new sod is probably 7 inches - how much longer should I wait to mow it - (at the highest setting of course)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #1310
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
My first mow when I redid the whole yard was pretty much right at three weeks after it was laid.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #1311
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Hey Yard Freaks!

We are actively renovating our backyard - new walk way, shrubs, lights, pergola, sod etc….

My question is - we had new st augustine laid down on July 11th. It has rained a lot and a neighbor sprayed his companies bacteria product which makes the sod take root quicker and deeper.

When I pull on a few blades it's clearly rooting well… Right now the new sod is probably 7 inches - how much longer should I wait to mow it - (at the highest setting of course)?
Sounds ready.
      07-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #1312
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey Yard Freaks!

So, sod? If so, I think you can mow as along as the pieces are well enough rooted that they dont shift around under load. Push or riding mower?
      07-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #1313
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Push mower - not even self propelled. I'm gonna let the 3 weeks play out - as mentioned on here. The sod is guaranteed by the company that keeps our grass weedless. I'm just itching to mow it - it's so long.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #1314
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Push mower - not even self propelled. I'm gonna let the 3 weeks play out - as mentioned on here. The sod is guaranteed by the company that keeps our grass weedless. I'm just itching to mow it - it's so long.
I bagged mine for the first few mows to avoid bogging down growth. Definitely a push - sod wasn't ready to get the beating from the John Deere for a little while.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #1315
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

We have a nice thick mature Jasmin in our front yard that separates the road from the sidewalk. We sold the house next to us and they are building a new home there now. A work truck parked in front of our house (not legal to park on our side of the road) and the truck fumes from the exhaust killed a 3-4ft diameter area of our Jasmin - from green to crispy brown. Whats the best course of action? Cut out all of the brown and replant Jasmin I assume is the only option?

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #1316
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
... Whats the best course of action? Cut out all of the brown and replant Jasmin I assume is the only option?
I most of the world, replant would be it.

In your case, its sue the contractor and replant
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #1317
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We have a nice thick mature Jasmin in our front yard that separates the road from the sidewalk. We sold the house next to us and they are building a new home there now. A work truck parked in front of our house (not legal to park on our side of the road) and the truck fumes from the exhaust killed a 3-4ft diameter area of our Jasmin - from green to crispy brown. Whats the best course of action? Cut out all of the brown and replant Jasmin I assume is the only option?
Pics? Might be possible to trim out and regrow depending on how bad it is. Is it just the foliage that is toast or the branches too?
      07-30-2022, 08:25 AM   #1318
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The exhaust roasted it so good there's a hole surrounded by dead jasmin - I had a photo up but the quality was bad, I'll post another here soon with my good camera. The realtor reached out to developer....

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #1319
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I guess the fines started getting painful enough for the adjacent lot owner to finally contract someone to 'trim' their weeds to within regulation.
Attached Images

09-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #1320
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
lawn is getting a little better.
my landscaper just put down fertilizer.
he discover lumps on my lawn, tunnel shapes and thinks i might have vole or mole...

how do i get rid of it??
Appreciate 0