New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 4wheels

Blood test for cancer is becoming a reality

This is a game changer....a blood test for cancer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...fore-symptoms/
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

Cool new developments, and a very promising technology, but don't hold your breath. Based on the figures in the article, this is actually worse than nothing (as-is). Article notes "It picked up eight out of 10 cancers, and gave a false positive on fewer than one in 100 occasions." This means that the false positive rate is probably about 2x the number of new cancer cases. Only the insurance companies would be liking those stats (i.e. basis for pre-existing condition exclusion/rate hike). I'm thinking the immune-modulation approach is more likely to be a big clinical hit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Only the insurance companies would be liking those stats (i.e. basis for pre-existing condition exclusion/rate hike).
I thought they couldn't do that any longer under ACA?
      03-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

"They" should be able to detect it through a blood test "they" created it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Not sure if that is a response to my post or not but if it was, I was referring to the previous post about insurance companies using these test results to exclude coverage due to a pre-existing condition, which I thought was no longer allowed by law following ACA.
      03-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That is an example of the spin job that they do to make you feel secure, when you really aren't. As we sit, I believe that pre-existing conditions have some protection, but not if you "let" your coverage lapse (including if they raise costs so far that you can't afford it), and they can still raise rates some because of them. There is also a big deal around the term "no EXCLUSION" for pre-existings - this means without rate limits, they can charge you whatever they want, but can't flat out deny you a policy (this is really not much protection, if they can charge you rates like $5-10k/month, a disabled sick person is unlikely to be able to pay, so they won't be covered). But don't worry, our fearless 1%'ers in Washington are busy working on that - the new versions are having no rate protection, raising rates beyond subsidies so that 'high risk' groups like anybody over 55 will start to have pretty significant gaps (extra they have to pay), and allowing massive penalties if you 'let it lapse' because you can't pay. I'm hoping that they start publicizing the congressional health coverage plan, because it is so much better than a typical insurance coverage (did you hear about Jesse Jackson Jr. getting lifetime disability of about $100k/year because he claims his bipolar was 'caused by stress of gov't service' - a disorder that is considered to be genetic? or Gabby Giffords getting years of individual residential rehab for her brain injury - on Blue Cross you'd be lucky to get 60 days, and not at that facility).

People really have little understanding of how complicated the healthcare business is, and how many loopholes exist to be exploited by insurance companies - remember that this is an area where their fiduciary duty to their stockholders creates a vested interest in reducing the costs or amounts of service used (i.e. healthcare for customers) - kind of a moral dilemma if you ask me. They have experts who pick over these details to find innocuous looking things to exclude, knowing it will create big 'savings' (i.e. they pay for an IV drug, but not for the nurse to administer it, or the special labs to ensure you are safe taking it, so rather than pay the $500 fee, you choose a cheaper and probably weaker drug that doesn't need an IV). This won't get fixed until we return control of the industry to true elected representatives of the customers, who can work with experts to provide a really good coverage; and a big part is universal coverage - finding ways to exclude sick people has become a huge part of the industry.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
      03-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
- kind of a moral dilemma if you ask me.
Aren't morals required before being able to have a dilemma
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Aren't morals required before being able to have a dilemma
You are right on - I'm being an optimist again. Despite being granted 'free speech' like they were people, the corporations really don't have any other than a profit motive. One of the most chilling things I've listened to was a recording of some insurance execs discussing 'special claims' (in this case it was four cases of advanced cancer) and very explicitly stating to each other 'we need to just refuse this again, and they will be dead before it gets to appeal - otherwise it could run well up into 7 figures'.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
You are right on - I'm being an optimist again. Despite being granted 'free speech' like they were people, the corporations really don't have any other than a profit motive. One of the most chilling things I've listened to was a recording of some insurance execs discussing 'special claims' (in this case it was four cases of advanced cancer) and very explicitly stating to each other 'we need to just refuse this again, and they will be dead before it gets to appeal - otherwise it could run well up into 7 figures'.
This is why personally and people with common sense should see having health insurance companies traded publicly to be absolutely criminal. Having a profit motive is so counter to providing proper health care. It's a shame our health care environment has gone so far to the other extreme from the days when managed health care was instituted for all the right reasons.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      05-15-2017, 05:16 AM   #10
Eddie911
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2002 Porsche 911

One of my colleague was talking with me that blood comes up with his urine. He though it was happened because of low ammount of drinking water. He said that "I never drink sufficient water". I read that post which you have shared and read that "Blood in your faeces or urine" can be casuse of Cancer. I have shared this link with him. Now he is really scared about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:34 AM   #11
BillyCarrera
Registered
Rep

Drives: I have bmw m2

For a healthy and life threatening disease like cancer, diabetes and heart disease have to be prevented or treated effectively. Cancer is one of the life threatening disease. The traditional cancer test includes CT SCAN, MRI or biopsy. You can go here for cancer check-up and also cancer treatment.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #12
BimmerLO
Rep

Drives: best car

very promising, I hope it'll be possible and available to all