New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
What's your family situation? Wife, kids? She working and if so is she making more than you?
Married, wife makes close to me. No kids.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Married, wife makes close to me. No kids.
If you plan on having kids, someone is going to have to have an "easy' job. In our case it is me, my job allows me total flexibility. Trying to raise kids with two high pressure jobs means you're one of those detached parents that has a BBQ but is so spent for time that you order the food pre-prepared and barely know how to work the bbq.

YOu're wearing Ralf Lauren polos though, but still, detached at best.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #25
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Pros
-pay is good
-37.5 hours/week
-I have a good boss that leaves me to perform without getting in my way
-I get both formal and informal recognition for the work I do.
-I've received good bonuses the past 4 years for being a top performer.
-5 weeks paid vacation
-Job security
-50% matching contributions to company stock purchase.
-Lead a top performing team
-Good exposure to Senior Leadership.
-12 years with large company
-Good benefits

Cons
-rotating shift work, weekends. Hours of ops are 7am to Midnight.
-Poor work life balance as I'm always connected to my phone/laptop. Rotating shifts sometimes leaves little time for friend/family
-Stress level is pretty high
-Related business partners can be demanding on a daily basis
-In the same role for 3 years and hiring freeze in place, so staying motivated is tough.
-Having to wear a suit and tie everyday

Don't get me wrong, I'm blessed to have a job that pays well when I know how tough it is out there.

My parents have owned a restaurant for 30 years. I've always worked there and have entertained the idea of getting out of the corporate world and running my own restaurant, but know how tough the restaurant business aka the golden handcuffs can be as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #26
2bad4u
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW - Derrrrrr.

The grass may be greener on the other side but that's only because it's fertilised with more bullshit!

I was in the same industry for 20 years and 2 years ago I chucked it in and started working for myself. I was on good money and working conditions but just lost all drive and work / life balance sucked.

I now earn about 1/5th of what I used to and couldn't be happier. However it does help that my kids have grown up an left home and the wife is in a good job. But the freedom that has come with running my own business, I just couldn't go back to working for someone else unless I absolutely have to.

I can work anywhere from 8 - 40 hours a week. Best of all I turned my hobby and passion into a business (photography).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #27
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
The grass may be greener on the other side but that's only because it's fertilised with more bullshit!

I was in the same industry for 20 years and 2 years ago I chucked it in and started working for myself. I was on good money and working conditions but just lost all drive and work / life balance sucked.

I now earn about 1/5th of what I used to and couldn't be happier. However it does help that my kids have grown up an left home and the wife is in a good job. But the freedom that has come with running my own business, I just couldn't go back to working for someone else unless I absolutely have to.

I can work anywhere from 8 - 40 hours a week. Best of all I turned my hobby and passion into a business (photography).
I hope to retire doing a pyramid scheme too.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #28
MFL
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Sometimes you just need some different grass too man.

You should be trying to make $10,000 more than you did the previous year, never settle for 80k. It's respectable, but if you can earn 80k in sales, you can earn 300k in sales, your product/market is your only limitation.
Appreciate 0