New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #23
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep

Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Be wary that you will have to take bio classes...if you can bear them.

UOP really is good for accelerated programs, if that's what you're into. The pharm program there is just 2 years with just 1 year of residency. Lightning fast for a field that gets you 70-90k just your first year working.

Why is it that all the Viet folks love going into pharmacy?

EDIT: Dental grad program you'll have to take the DAT after undergrad. Pharm program has no examinations required at all...

Another fact: most dentists make more money than most medical doctors. Must be due to lower malpractice insurance costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #24
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Why is it that all the Viet folks love going into pharmacy?.
Yeah.. It's an Asian thing.

I can't wait to get in.. do the program and get out.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #25
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Hook it up with the pain killers. j/k, I'm not a druggie.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

dude im viet and everyone i know is going into pharmacy. im the only one doing business lol
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #27
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

a lot of my friends who are vietnamese want to do business. ;] just hte majority of asians seem to sway towards the medical field..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

i think it's cus of their parents. Asian parents are strict as hell.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #29
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
i think it's cus of their parents. Asian parents are strict as hell.
the really asian ones are. im so glad mine arent as "asian"

sometimes asian parents have a hard time adapting to like a new culture or osmething i duno.. like my uncle's wife is SO ASIAN. she wont let her kids go out in teh sun cause she wants them to be really white and they're not allowed to ever have friends over or anything. whatt a lifeee.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #30
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
the really asian ones are. im so glad mine arent as "asian"

sometimes asian parents have a hard time adapting to like a new culture or osmething i duno.. like my uncle's wife is SO ASIAN. she wont let her kids go out in teh sun cause she wants them to be really white and they're not allowed to ever have friends over or anything. whatt a lifeee.
haha man that is too asian. I have a friend whose mom wont let her go out at all. It's just school and then home. Some parents are very close minded. They think that all cultures are the same and that Americans are a bad influence.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #31
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
haha man that is too asian. I have a friend whose mom wont let her go out at all. It's just school and then home. Some parents are very close minded. They think that all cultures are the same and that Americans are a bad influence.

dude yeah! that's how my cousin's life is. HOW BORING. i feel bad for the girl because she wont have any social skills when she gets older -- which she'll need to make it in life. whatever.

i complain about my parents a LOT but i'm extremely thankful they dont't hold me on a tight leash. my parents are pretty lenient and let me do what i want because they trust me -- within reason of course. dude.. going to school and them home -- and never going out? ahh i'd dieee.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think it depends on how long they've been here too. Once they see that they can trust you and that life here isnt what they thought it would be, they will just let loose. My parents are pretty cool now. I can do whatever I want as long as I dont get outta hand. Some of my friends' parents simply dont care what their kids do...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #33
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

Drives: LR3, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
It sounded like the requirement to take BS GE classes was the real problem.

Going to school is tough, but wait til you get out, get married, have kids and a mortgage, college expenses for those kids, etc. Then you'll be holding down a full job, plus looking for one or two or three side ones to make ends meet and keep that nice car. Your mom wants to make sure you do well, plus she needs to keep you insured. We had a similar problem with our middle son, but then the wrestling coach got a hold of him and he's carrying the load, plus coaching at the local high school . . .
UncleWede said it much better than I could have... In retrospect, college is easy (really easy) compared to living your daily life with all the responsibilities. Much harder to manage everything when you can't go back to mom and dad for help, it's all on you.

Look at college as the test of how well you are going to do on your own... Are you able to set your priorities and take responsibility for your success and failures? Are you willing to take on the work, even though it's not something you "like" (i.e. Gen Eds.)?

If I sound like your parents, it's because they have something valid to say, they aren't just pushing you to make you miserable, they want you to get the best out of life. (btw, I have no kids and am not old.)

You want a BMW? You're going to have to work for it.
      12-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #34
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: jet black 330i

12 units is not that much and its not hard at all unless you're taking college math, science, and english at the same time, even thats not that hard at a community college.
art school? make sure u can handle the pressure and criticism cause thats what they do all day. i've seen people faint, cry, dropout, or just loose it after a teacher smash students and their projects verbally/ physically. if you cant handle CC then you're for sure not ready for art school or any 4yr college.
most art schools are private, that means its expensive, so why not take all the classes u could transfer over? then you wouldn't have to worry about spending more money taking classes you could of taken at a CC for a fraction of the price at a private school.
i think i have a lot more to say, since im attending an art college and have gone through the same route you're going through right now. but im tired of thinking, need to get healthy over winter break and work my ass off again next semester
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #35
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Why is it that all the Viet folks love going into pharmacy?
Because it is perceived by Asian[Viet] parents as being a 'safe' career choice (just like becoming a MD/MS/or the like). But think about it abit and you will realize that if tons of people go into that field, the saturation of Pharm.D's in a particular locale would eventually cause problems. This is what I observe in the field of Optometry in San Jose -- plenty of Dr. Nguyen's, Tran's, Le's to look at your eyes. With so many providers out there, how does one choose?
      12-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #36
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncalguy
Because it is perceived by Asian[Viet] parents as being a 'safe' career choice (just like becoming a MD/MS/or the like). But think about it abit and you will realize that if tons of people go into that field, the saturation of Pharm.D's in a particular locale would eventually cause problems. This is what I observe in the field of Optometry in San Jose -- plenty of Dr. Nguyen's, Tran's, Le's to look at your eyes. With so many providers out there, how does one choose?
LOL duide youre totally frmo san jose! TELL ME ABOUT IT! in my graduation class.. the NGUYENS should have their own yearbook.. they take up liek 5 pages.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

haha that last name is freakin crazy. Independence HS had 7 pages of just Nguyens. JUST NGUYENS!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #38
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
haha that last name is freakin crazy. Independence HS had 7 pages of just Nguyens. JUST NGUYENS!!!!!
yaa but u gota think of how big that school is!! it was supposed to be like a community college.. they have 10 minute passing periods between classes cause the campus is so big. normal schools have 5 minutes haha

independence is GHETTTTOOOOOO
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #39
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

oh yeah.. GO ST FRANCIS!! lancersss yayuhhhh
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #40
Squawks
United_States
Rep

There's a St. Francis around Sacramento area (my hometown) - all girl Catholic school. HOTTIES! When I was on the swimming/water-polo team in Sacto, they would come and they would have about 100 varsity swimmers and 2 separate varsity water polo teams (team A "overkill" and team B "kill"). They kicked our public school's girls' asses.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 12:27 AM   #41
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There's a St. Francis around Sacramento area (my hometown) - all girl Catholic school. HOTTIES! When I was on the swimming/water-polo team in Sacto, they would come and they would have about 100 varsity swimmers and 2 separate varsity water polo teams (team A "overkill" and team B "kill"). They kicked our public school's girls' asses.
ya no offense to you public school kiddies but private school kids play club in the off season so we kick ass. we're all about winning CCS

and i go to st. francis Mountain View co-ed. thank god.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 12:40 AM   #42
northerncalguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
independence is GHETTTTOOOOOO
IHS is a decent public school. I graduated from IHS, look at me now:
Attached Images

12-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #43
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Portal

Quote:
ya no offense to you public school kiddies but private school kids play club in the off season so we kick ass. we're all about winning CCS

I heard that public school kids get higher SAT scores.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #44
northerncalguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Try playing IHS Badminton, they kick ass.