New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I bought an electric motorcycle

Zero FXS

293 lbs wet
47 hp
40-50 miles highway, 80 miles city
Full specs

Why did I buy a overpriced bike with limited range? Basically, it's awesome. Silent, great powerband, no clutch or gearbox to mess with. In other words you can do all the usual supermoto hooligan stuff but with the distinct advantage that nobody cares because you aren't making any noise. The bike will power wheelie but not as well as some of my homemade electric bicycles. Stock it has a belt drive which I really like due to lack of noise and because there is no maintenance except replacement. Unfortunately it doesn't handle jumps or debris as well as a chain so I will be replacing the belt with a chain for offroad riding and jumps in the city.

Range isn't a problem since most of my rides are short. Battery lasts for several hours at slow speeds offroad.

One note on the noise and safety: some ignorant people think a constant earsplitting exhaust noise (along with rider-fatiguing vibration) makes you safe. There are a lot of reasons why motorists may not respond to loud pipes in the first place, making them not dependable: for example, loud music, deafness, driver doesn't understand where the bike is, bike not as audible as you think, driver hears you but is distracted by something else, etc. Plus the constant assault on your own senses screws up your focus. This is easiest to appreciate on a bike with no noise or vibration other than the road and wind. You're free to pay full attention to enjoying riding, nature, and staying away from cars.

There is a similar school of thought about loud exhaust being necessary to enjoy motorcycles. You'll probably have to ride electric yourself to truly understand, but basically the riding is the important part and the exhaust not being there is actually a plus. If you want to make really loud noises you're doing it wrong with piston engines anyway. Try competition audio, rocketry, guns, pulsejets and jets, concerts, or just some Beethoven.

Anyone else own or have interest in a electric motorcycle?

Last edited by The Wind Breezes; 03-01-2019 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 10
      03-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

I want a Super Soco TC Max so bad right now. I just made a post yesterday asking if anyone knows how I can get a European version imported. They are currently not DOT approved, but I live in North Idaho where you can ride dirt bikes on the streets.

Edit: This bike is not nearly as fast as the Zero bikes, but I'm not too crazy. Specs: 240 lbs, 5kw motor that produces 125ft/lb of torque! has about a 50 mile range. charges 80% in 30 mins and 100% in 3 hours.

Appreciate 2
      03-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

I don't get it.

You can get a Ducati Monster for $14K

https://configurator.ducati.com/bike...8BTXGJZFYKMPHS
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I don't get it.
You obviously don't lol. Having an ultra quiet, relaxing to ride motorcycle that gets a 150 mpg equivalent is awesome. I'm so excited to purchase one of these and drive it along the beach on the way to work. I'll get to hear the waves and birds and be a bigger part of the surroundings instead of disturbing them

I was looking at the BMW G 310 R before I found that little electric bike
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
You obviously don't lol. Having an ultra quiet, relaxing to ride motorcycle that gets a 150 mpg equivalent is awesome. I'm so excited to purchase one of these and drive it along the beach on the way to work. I'll get to hear the waves and birds and be a bigger part of the surroundings instead of disturbing them

I was looking at the BMW G 310 R before I found that little electric bike
LOL you can hear birds and waves over wind noise?
      03-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
LOL you can hear birds and waves over wind noise?
Sure, it's a 25 mph road. I can hear it at 20 mph on my bicycle...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 328i

The OP is sharing something that is exciting to them. Let him have some fun with it lol

Some people like it and other don’t but the OP does.

Report back after having it for awhile.
Appreciate 4
      03-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
The OP is sharing something that is exciting to them. Let him have some fun with it lol

Some people like it and other don’t but the OP does.

Report back after having it for awhile.
You are right. This isn't my cup of tea. I'm old school and think cars and bikes should make that sweet ICE noise.

But I do hope the OP loves the thing.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
I must admit idling my harley along a row of parked cars and hearing the alarms go off gives me a giggle. An electric can't do that, but to each his own...
      03-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I also own combustion bikes, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. They are nice on the track (well the 4 stroke is...) because you have full power from warmup til the tank runs dry. Right now all the electric bikes on the market will overheat if ridden by a skilled rider on the track, that includes the now defunct Alta. Overheating is not a problem for me on the street even if I mess around. Right now all my gas bikes are race bikes so I don't ride them on the street.

This bike is about bringing up the front end all the time, jumping onto sidewalks, up embankments and stairs, flying thru the air, doing quick turns and stoppies, hitting up the city park and MTB trails while nobody blinks an eye. It is perfect for those roles, so don't think your S1000RR or whatever compares, just like this bike won't do 190 mph. Different bikes do different things well.

Quote:
Not a real supermoto, plus I wanted a stealth bike. How is it not a real sumo? Simple, not enough suspension travel; you can't really jump it. Also kind of heavy.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
I don't get it.

https://configurator.ducati.com/bike...8BTXGJZFYKMPHS
Ducati all day. And I can “recharge” it in a couple minutes if I want to ride more than 100 miles.

I’m considering trading my 13 Diavel for the new Diavel. Not even considering electric.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Still riding this thing, silent wheelies all over the place. Put a chain on it the other day. Now sounds like a racecar.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep

I bought a moped chassis to convert to an electric motorcycle with my GIZMO class. 14hp and 120 lb/ft! I'm excited to get it started! I'll do a build on the forums so you guys can see me turn a wee little bike into a tire burning funfest lol
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

OP. Ignore the luddites. They probably want you to buy a big ICE motorcycle because, by god, that is what they have always had.

Enjoy your new bike. I have read some really good reviews on electric motorcycles.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

I liked my bikes as loud as possible so other motorists can not only see me, but hear me. Feels safer. I’m all for an electric dirt bike, seen those Alta bikes ripping.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #16
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just got back from another ride, pulled a bunch of wheelies, stoppies, and rode through a park and a urban trail. Try that on your gas powered supermoto and you'll have a lot of annoyed people. Today nobody even knew I was there. It was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
I liked my bikes as loud as possible so other motorists can not only see me, but hear me. Feels safer. I’m all for an electric dirt bike, seen those Alta bikes ripping.
Your exhaust points backwards so it's not very loud in the direction you need it. Coupled with people being in quiet cars or listening to music or being distracted or just not recognizing your engine sound as a notice that they need to WATCH OUT, you can't rely on it at all.

Loud pipes DISTRACT riders, they don't save lives.

Noisy bikes fatigue your senses and reduce your ability to be aware of your surroundings. Wouldn't a loud noise you can activate with a button to warn other drivers be better? Hmm, if only motorcycles came with that.

Ride like nobody sees you and everybody is trying to move into you, regardless of what noises you can make.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      04-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Not really valid for many reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Not really valid for many reasons.
When I’m lane splitting on the 405 in stop and go traffic. People hear me from way back(my exhaust isn’t exactly stock). They usually give extra room well before I’m near, unless they’re an ass. I personally feel safer knowing people can hear me from a distance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
OP. Ignore the luddites. They probably want you to buy a big ICE motorcycle because, by god, that is what they have always had.
Nah, same as an electric car... range limited.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
When I’m lane splitting on the 405 in stop and go traffic. People hear me from way back(my exhaust isn’t exactly stock). They usually give extra room well before I’m near, unless they’re an ass. I personally feel safer knowing people can hear me from a distance.
While some things may be legal, they are still stupid.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Tell that to my buddy that got ran over from behind waiting at a red light while visiting in Phoenix. If that happened back in LA, he would have been up front and the wreck 4 cars back. Not in hospital for two weeks. Now visit LA when the 405 is a parking lot. I’m not going to wait to get rear ended, which happens on a regular basis. There have been study’s done, responsible lane splitting can reduce chances of injuries for riders.

Last edited by hellrotm; 04-06-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #22
jeff113
Private
Rep

Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I used to think the same thing when I lived in VA. Now that I've been lane splitting for three years in CA, my mind is completely changed.

Lane splitting can be counterintuitive. I've found that you want the cars to be moving as slow as possible, preferably stopped. When there are no gaps, drivers are unable to make rapid lane changes. Also I almost got rear-ended a few months ago while sitting in traffic. It was a construction zone with no room to split lanes. The car rear-ended the motorcycle that was sitting directly behind me, coming within a foot of my back tire.
Appreciate 0