New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #6667
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Meanwhile in Canada, look at this horseshit: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...espite-health/
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #6668
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquet View Post
Meanwhile in Canada, look at this horseshit: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...espite-health/
It's very interesting hearing from Canadian citizens about what's occurring there. Trudeau is as bad as, or worse than, Joe Biden.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      09-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #6669
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's very interesting hearing from Canadian citizens about what's occurring there. Trudeau is as bad as, or worse than, Joe Biden.
It's tough to opine on it, not having experienced both directly, and thus no knowledge of Biden on my end, but it *feels* like Trudeau is worse.

Partly because I feel like Biden's handlers are smart enough to realize that if he actively tries to destroy America, there will one day (and probably fairly quickly) be an American pissed off enough that they assassinate Biden. And you guys have far more of an arsenal available to you than we do.

Whereas up here, we don't have much of a history of assassinating the head honcho. And so Trudeau probably feels like he can act with some impunity when he goes to actively destroy Canada by forcing us to go along with his vision for the world, regardless of whether that vision is fiscally responsible, just / fair / moral, or in the actual interests of Canada. None of that matters as long as his vision is fulfilled.

I cannot wait for this guy to be gone.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
paquet629.50
      09-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #6670
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
The things currently happening all over Europe are troubling.

What's going on in Europe that's so troubling?

In NOLA, it's definitely the wild Wild West here. Look at this BS. Who wants to come work for a police force when the mayor sits on the wrong side? All time 50 year low for number of officers on duty. It's a shame and until some of these thugs start getting met with a bullet it won't get any better.

https://www.wwltv.com/amp/article/ne...9-be3617d02061
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      09-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #6671
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
It's tough to opine on it, not having experienced both directly, and thus no knowledge of Biden on my end, but it *feels* like Trudeau is worse.

Partly because I feel like Biden's handlers are smart enough to realize that if he actively tries to destroy America, there will one day (and probably fairly quickly) be an American pissed off enough that they assassinate Biden. And you guys have far more of an arsenal available to you than we do.

Whereas up here, we don't have much of a history of assassinating the head honcho. And so Trudeau probably feels like he can act with some impunity when he goes to actively destroy Canada by forcing us to go along with his vision for the world, regardless of whether that vision is fiscally responsible, just / fair / moral, or in the actual interests of Canada. None of that matters as long as his vision is fulfilled.

Amen brother. Canada has a long road to recovery (well, so does the US, but Canada more so...)

And there's the best argument for the Second Amendment in the US. Leaving the ultimate power (civil uprising) in the hands of the people.
Which makes Herr Biden's and his ilk's comments about F-15's etc being used against the US populace just reprehensible.

On a personal note, as someone who divides his time between the US and Canada, 3 observations:

- rural / small town Canada is picturesque and people are friendly (the big towns and the suburbs are unfortunately hot garbage and not a representation of the country at large, yet they do control the votes...)
- politicians need to remember they are the servants of the people, and not their masters
- politicians need to live in fear of violent uprising to keep them honest (again, shout out to the 2nd Amendment)

Oh, and Trudeau is a combination of AIDS morphed into cancer.
He should've been a blowjob, even more ironic considering what a giant whore his mother was (and responsible for getting Keith Richards busted for drugs in Toronto)
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 02:57 PM   #6672
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Quote:

"If his handlers actively think he's trying to destroy the United States?"

Really?
I'll bet an unbiased news source would make your head explode.
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933164.00
      09-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #6673
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One can make the argument that if a politician in power is not trying to build bridges and bring people together, and instead demonizing a section of them, then they are inadvertently destroying the country from within by fomenting discord...

A house divided against itself cannot stand. Lincoln, I believe.
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #6674
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Quote:
The things currently happening all over Europe are troubling.

What's going on in Europe that's so troubling?

In NOLA, it's definitely the wild Wild West here. Look at this BS. Who wants to come work for a police force when the mayor sits on the wrong side? All time 50 year low for number of officers on duty. It's a shame and until some of these thugs start getting met with a bullet it won't get any better.

https://www.wwltv.com/amp/article/ne...9-be3617d02061
Just off the top of my head….

….severe energy rationing, food shortages, issues with the farmers/livestock, inflation, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #6675
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
"If his handlers actively think he's trying to destroy the United States?"

Really?
I'll bet an unbiased news source would make your head explode.
lol whut? Why did you take my words out of context?

Just say what you want to say, but at least do me the justice of not mixing my words up in a different order to construe something you can feign superiority over.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
________4158.50
      09-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #6676
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:

Oh, and Trudeau is a combination of AIDS morphed into cancer.
He should've been a blowjob, even more ironic considering what a giant whore his mother was (and responsible for getting Keith Richards busted for drugs in Toronto)
Oh that is beautiful, I am definitely going to use that sometime in conversation. Thank you.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
paquet629.50
      09-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #6677
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
One can make the argument that if a politician in power is not trying to build bridges and bring people together, and instead demonizing a section of them, then they are inadvertently destroying the country from within by fomenting discord...

Certain person(s)/people believe that we are incapable of fact checking and deriving information from multiple sources to verify the authenticity of the information. They believe that just because a source they don't fancy reports on an issue (…usually because other media outlets are purposely and strategically deciding not to report on [insert topic/global event here]), that the information itself is without merit and completely erroneous.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
paquet629.50
      09-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #6678
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just off the top of my head….

….severe energy rationing, food shortages, issues with the farmers/livestock, inflation, etc.
The "green" climate activist shitheads in Germany really fucked over the entire country by prostituting themselves to Russia for natural gas AND shutting down Germany's own nuclear reactors.

It's treasonous behaviour - removing self-dependence on energy.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      09-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #6679
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
So, any updates on how the emergency evacuation of Los Angeles and the entire Eastern North Pacific Ocean area has been going since the EAS alert went out to everyone yesterday?????

09-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #6680
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
So, any updates on how the emergency evacuation of Los Angeles and the entire Eastern North Pacific Ocean area has been going since the EAS alert went out to everyone yesterday?????

This one?

Emergency alert telling LA residents, ‘Eastern North Pacific Ocean’ to evacuate immediately sent by mistake
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/09...stake-1279768/

It was too hot to go anywhere; emergency, or not.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      09-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #6681
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

[img]https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.c...ency-alert.jpg[/img]

Everybody said they were upset because heat was being racist towards impoverished communities. Blacks were deemed too stupid to know how to drink water and turn on air conditioning.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #6682
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
Yeah, politics now are a mess in both countries.

I do think Biden's student loan plan was a step in the right direction though. Luckily I don't have a dog in that fight, but it's clear the loan are predatory, and colleges have taken advantage of a lot of young folks. Both parties ultimately agree with that.

Next step is to get rid of the student loan program all together!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #6683
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
Quote:
Yeah, politics now are a mess in both countries.

I do think Biden's student loan plan was a step in the right direction though. Luckily I don't have a dog in that fight, but it's clear the loan are predatory, and colleges have taken advantage of a lot of young folks. Both parties ultimately agree with that.

Next step is to get rid of the student loan program all together!!
…On the surface it sounds great, just like visions of a society full of electric vehicles, no more homelessness, etc……but implementation will be shoddy (…and I don't think tax payers should be on the hook for everybody else's financial decisions). I certainly don't want my tax dollars used for that. Colleges are complicit right along with the government. Student loan debt cannot be laid squarely on the shoulders of the educational institutions alone. Society also plays/played a role in pushing certain degrees that don't really do anything to further somebody professionally. The person choosing a field of study and signing on the dotted line bears at least 50% of the responsibility, too. I think the better approach would've been to lower interest rates for the student loans (….e.g…..if the approach is just to write off all of the debt, why not just make the loans interest free so that the core amount is paid back?!?!), extend/offer better payment plan terms, etc. rather than distributing other people's financial obligations for the masses to pay. I would even be willing to consider debt forgiveness for specific fields of study (…e.g…med school, law school, etc.), with the requirement being you must be currently employed in the respective field of study as a nurse, doctor, lawyer, etc. and you must pay back a portion of what was borrowed before qualifying for loan forgiveness (…which is what happened with my lady who has been a practicing attorney for more than two decades; after 10 years of qualifying professional work and paying back a percentage, the remaining amount was forgiven). Paying for somebody's nonsense liberal arts degree, for example, while they sit on their ass doing nothing or wasting time working at Subway is ridiculous.
Appreciate 3
UncleWede18026.50
T0RM3NT3642.00
      09-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #6684
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I do think Biden's student loan plan was a step in the right direction though. Luckily I don't have a dog in that fight, but it's clear the loan are predatory, and colleges have taken advantage of a lot of young folks. Both parties ultimately agree with that...
Does that include technical degrees also? At least a graduate of WyoTech is productive upon graduation!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #6685
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Nice wins for the second amendment fight in California. Both SB 918 and AB 1227 failed. Sneaky politicians snuck failed AB 1223 language into the latter bill, and they were caught. Serves them right.

Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
vreihen1615280.00
      09-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #6686
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
…On the surface it sounds great, just like visions of a society full of electric vehicles, no more homelessness, etc……but implementation will be shoddy (…and I don't think tax payers should be on the hook for everybody else's financial decisions). I certainly don't want my tax dollars used for that. Colleges are complicit right along with the government. Student loan debt cannot be laid squarely on the shoulders of the educational institutions alone. Society also plays/played a role in pushing certain degrees that don't really do anything to further somebody professionally. The person choosing a field of study and signing on the dotted line bears at least 50% of the responsibility, too. I think the better approach would've been to lower interest rates for the student loans (….e.g…..if the approach is just to write off all of the debt, why not just make the loans interest free so that the core amount is paid back?!?!), extend/offer better payment plan terms, etc. rather than distributing other people's financial obligations for the masses to pay. I would even be willing to consider debt forgiveness for specific fields of study (…e.g…med school, law school, etc.), with the requirement being you must be currently employed in the respective field of study as a nurse, doctor, lawyer, etc. and you must pay back a portion of what was borrowed before qualifying for loan forgiveness (…which is what happened with my lady who has been a practicing attorney for more than two decades; after 10 years of qualifying professional work and paying back a percentage, the remaining amount was forgiven). Paying for somebody's nonsense liberal arts degree, for example, while they sit on their ass doing nothing or wasting time working at Subway is ridiculous.
I agree about the interest rate change, however:

The idea that it is just "liberal arts" degree people being lazy is not the real issue. That is a speaking point being pushed by certain media outlets(BTW, I didn't vote for Biden either). The issue is people that have a decent, (think $50-$60K), but far from great income who were sold the idea that their earning potential would be much greater. No 18 year old has the life experience to make those kind of financial decisions.

But to your point, I can agree people that signed on the line bare responsibility, as well as the college, which is why $10k, which mostly represents accrued interest being forgiven, seems fair. We all pay money through taxes that don't directly benefit us. Child tax credit for people with no kids, Paying for schools when you don't have kids, welfare, exc...

I have seen people affected by these loans, and not one of them are lazy, they just weren't fortunate to have the best guidance earlier in life, and they should not be held back for life because of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #6687
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree about the interest rate change, however:

The idea that it is just "liberal arts" degree people being lazy is not the real issue. That is a speaking point being pushed by certain media outlets(BTW, I didn't vote for Biden either). The issue is people that have a decent, (think $50-$60K), but far from great income who were sold the idea that their earning potential would be much greater. No 18 year old has the life experience to make those kind of financial decisions.

But to your point, I can agree people that signed on the line bare responsibility, as well as the college, which is why $10k, which mostly represents accrued interest being forgiven, seems fair. We all pay money through taxes that don't directly benefit us. Child tax credit for people with no kids, Paying for schools when you don't have kids, welfare, exc...

I have seen people affected by these loans, and not one of them are lazy, they just weren't fortunate to have the best guidance earlier in life, and they should not be held back for life because of this.
You make fair points, and my intention wasn't to categorize all arts degrees as useless. It was just an example I used. Guidance notwithstanding, I still am not on board with blanket student loan forgiveness. We, as a society, tend to perpetuate laziness and entitlement among people, and the remedy is always to bail people out and lay the responsibility on the taxpayer. It gets old…….it is old.

In two posts, we both agreed on a better solution that wouldn't lob responsibility on everybody else and is arguably better than just removing all personally accountability. The government can do better, but that's not truly the goal.
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #6688
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:

Certain person(s)/people believe that we are incapable of fact checking and deriving information from multiple sources to verify the authenticity of the information. They believe that just because a source they don't fancy reports on an issue (…usually because other media outlets are purposely and strategically deciding not to report on [insert topic/global event here]), that the information itself is without merit and completely erroneous.
Don't beat around the bush. You only believe in watching news that affirms your own beliefs. Confirmation bias. You are MAGA. You pick tribe over country. Consistently.
Appreciate 0